HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nikolai Zherdev

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 10:24 PM
rticinelli

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to rticinelli
Nikolai Zherdev

What do you see him doing in his career as far as point production? I never really had a high opinion of him, but I've seen him play in a few games this year and he has impressed me a little. He's one of those players that, like Ilya Kovalchuk, make you sit at the edge of your seat and hold your breath . . . it seems like he could do pretty much anything at any time.
Anyway, what kind of a scorer do you see him becoming?

Old
02-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

If you believe a certain, bitter Russian poster, he'll be out of the NHL in two seasons. Those of us with our heads on straight think he'll turn out like Kovalev. Depending on who they get to play with him and Nash...the sky is the limit. Probably in the neighborhood of 80+ points per season once he rounds out.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:12 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Probably in the neighborhood of 80+ points per season once he rounds out.
IMO, you're dreamin'

Old
02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
SOS

Send a message via ICQ to SOS Send a message via MSN to SOS
I have him on my EA NHL2004 roster and he's good for about 40 goals per season

Old
02-19-2004, 10:29 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS
I have him on my EA NHL2004 roster and he's good for about 40 goals per season
Legwand scored 60 goals in one season on my espn nhl 2k4, and you sure don't see that happening in reality

Old
02-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
IMO, you're dreamin'
I don't see why it's so hard to grasp that he could hit a point per game pace playing with Nash and Ovechkin/Olesz/Malkin/Fritsche.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

good point.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:52 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
IMO, you're dreamin'
How is he dreaming? We're talking about a supremely talented prospect that was a top draft pick just last year.
I've seen him do incredible things with the puck, as a rookie, that I don't think many veterans would be able to do with much success. He'll be surrounded by a great supporting cast including the likes of Nash, Svitov, Klesla and whoever they draft in the top 5 next year. 80pts is a very reasonable estimate.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
How is he dreaming? We're talking about a supremely talented prospect that was a top draft pick just last year.
I've seen him do incredible things with the puck, as a rookie, that I don't think many veterans would be able to do with much success. He'll be surrounded by a great supporting cast including the likes of Nash, Svitov, Klesla and whoever they draft in the top 5 next year. 80pts is a very reasonable estimate.
Only time will tell, I suppose.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
I don't see why it's so hard to grasp that he could hit a point per game pace playing with Nash and Ovechkin/Olesz/Malkin/Fritsche.
That and he was considered by most to be the most offensively talented player in last years draft... I dont think PPG is out of the question by any means.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejh18
That and he was considered by most to be the most offensively talented player in last years draft... I dont think PPG is out of the question by any means.
I agree.

He's got that sneaky-quick wrister, good moves, and he's a play-maker who's now QBing the PP when his unit is on.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Puckz

The guy has great hands and if the NHL ever opens up again and allows more freewheeling and creativity this guy will be a central player. As for right now, with the aforementioned possible linemates, I don't feel that a point per game pace is unattainable in Zherdev's future... Can't see him being out of the league in 2 years, would definitely surprise me.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:23 PM
BlackJack21

IMHO he is a top 5 puck handler in this leage.

He's also a terrific scater, shooter and passer.

He'll have to learn to take quicker decision, that's all.

Easely a poit per game producer in his prime with guys like Nash around...

BJ21

Old
02-19-2004, 04:25 PM
TelperiŽn

Funny you should mention Zherdev. I just read a pretty interesting NHL.com article on him.

http://www.nhl.com/columns/wigge/zherdev021704.html

Quote:
For Zherdev, the past and present quickly intertwined into in one morning of November 29, 2003.

"I can't forget the past," he says through an interpreter before the YoungStars game at NHL All-Star Weekend, recalling the day that he decided to change his life forever by bolting from Russia to the NHL. He arrived on a plane from Moscow to Toronto with only his passport, a suit, a few shirts, jeans and a couple pairs of boots.
Quote:
"He reminds me a lot of Ilya Kovalchuk," Detroit Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk says, comparing Zherdev's talent to the eye-popping skills of Atlanta's leading goal-scorer. "He has some great moves -- the kind that lift fans out of their seats."

"He had difficulty at first because he only speaks Russian, "Columbus teammate Rick Nash said. "But in any language the kind of dangling he does on the ice means a lot of goals in the future for the Blue Jackets. Nik has so much talent, I don't think he realizes he has half of it yet. You put your stick down on the ice and he will find it, even if the puck has to go over three opponents sticks. Right on your tape."

"He's got great speed, great moves. He can really shoot the puck and you can see he loves to make plays," says Kovalchuk, the Thrashers third-year star goal-scorer. "You watch games on TV and he's one player who quickly stands out."
Quote:
"I called my Mom," Zherdev said after his scintillating performance in the YoungStars game. "She said she missed me, but she was very happy for me. She said, 'You are not pawn for Russian Federation.' I made the right move. Life is good for me."

Old
02-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Verbal Kint*

Personally, I think a 19 year-old, pulling his moves, who will have Nash as a partner for years to come, and could have a player like Ovechkin or Crosby on his line in a couple of years will have quite a bit of trouble not getting a PPG. This guy has a lot against him right now with the language barrier, the NHL transition and the pressure of being such a highly touted pick. I am extremely confident that 5 years down the road, ha and Nash will be the next Naslund and Bertuzzi. They are the perfect combination for each other, Nash as the finisher and Zherdev as the playmaker. The skys the limit and I could see Zherdev putting up 100+ points (in a season)within the next 10 years.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:49 PM
MePutPuckInNet

zherdev

I'm not so sure about the 100 points....but I've been watching him too and he's definately been impressive. Rick Nash is really something else too.....It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Blue Jackets next season.

Of course...one thing I can't seem to forget though, is how much Patrick O'Sullivan completely outplayed and overshadowed Zherdev at the U-18's not too long ago...

Old
02-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
I'm not so sure about the 100 points....but I've been watching him too and he's definately been impressive. Rick Nash is really something else too.....It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Blue Jackets next season.

Of course...one thing I can't seem to forget though, is how much Patrick O'Sullivan completely outplayed and overshadowed Zherdev at the U-18's not too long ago...
So you watched the tournament in Slovakia? And I think it was Zherdev who was named top forward at that tournament, not O'Sullivan.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Luigi Lemieux

if he does turn out like kovalev, he'll be good for 40 goals, 80 pts a year. not out of the question at all imo.

Closed Thread