HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The NEW Official MMA Thread (Pride and UFC etc)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I just finished watching the fight. In what universe did Serra dominate?

The way I saw it the strikes were going GSP's way until he got caught, plain and simple. Serra hit him with a good punch and then to his credit kept going. Hardly dominated.
What he said.....I couldn't agree more. Serra deserves all the credit for the win but there is absolutely no way anyone could watch that fight (all 2 mins of it ) and say he was dominating. Serra caught him with a good punch and the fight was over, and that is why we all love MMA.

How long til GSP regains the tilte?? I'm gonna go with sometime in the fall, I have no doubt that he is still absolutely the best fighter in the WW div. by a significant margin.

On another note, it was nice to see Tito/Rashad exchange words at the fight, I hope they have a hatred for each other and it isn't just all showmanship to promote the fight. That fight is gonna be great, especially if they truly start to dispise each other - Tito by Ref. stopage in the 2nd round.

Old
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I just finished watching the fight. In what universe did Serra dominate?

The way I saw it the strikes were going GSP's way until he got caught, plain and simple. Serra hit him with a good punch and then to his credit kept going. Hardly dominated.
In my mind there's no such thing as a lucky punch. If getting a KO over GSP in the 1st round isn't domination I don't know what is. Face it guys we all love GSP but he lost it happens to every great fighter its just a matter of time until he gets his belt back.

Old
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Some rumblings and rumours from thefightnetwork.com

Mark Hominick is going to make his WEC debut in June.. maybe against Faber?

Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher are set to have a rematch and an upcoming UFN.

Jeff Joslin should be back in the UFC is June or July

Old
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Diaz over Gomi a no-contest because of...pot?
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3754&zoneid=13

Quote:
Pride event in Las Vegas, Nevada, also tested positive for Delta-9-THC. The commission suspended Diaz for 6 months from the date of his fight, which would be August 24, 2007 and fined him $3,000, which was 20 percent of his reported $15,000 purse. In addition to the suspension and fine, the NSAC also ruled that the result of the Diaz vs. Gomi contest be changed from a victory for Diaz to a result of no contest.

Apparently, the commission felt that the level for which Diaz tested at, 175, was a considering factor in his performance during the fight. Dr. Tony Alamo, the Commission's Chair, said that a result of 15 is considered positive, but that the NSAC has a threshold of 50 to test positive for THC and that they "feel very comfortable that everyone that tests positive [in Nevada] is truly positive."

Alamo went on to say, "Mr. Diaz was 175. This creates a unique situation. I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and... that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did."

In his statements to the commission, Diaz said, "I wasn't under the influence when I was fighting. I don't abuse drugs normally, it was a one time thing. It was very embarrassing for me to test positive."
Is there really anything behind this?

I've been high, been punched.. it hurt. I was never punched in the face by a lightweight Pride champ, then put him in a gogoplata.. but it hurt.

Old
04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Some rumblings and rumours from thefightnetwork.com

Mark Hominick is going to make his WEC debut in June.. maybe against Faber?

Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher are set to have a rematch and an upcoming UFN.

Jeff Joslin should be back in the UFC is June or July
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Words out of Team Tompkins:
-The next UFN in June will feature a rematch between Spencer Fisher and Sam Stout as the main event.
-Tompkins will be staying in Temecula with Hendo's Team Quest 75% of the time, and as already revealed, he'll be taking over as Head Coach of the Anacondas.
-Hominick is slated to make an appearance in the WEC. Should he win, it's assumed that he'll finally face Urijah Faber in what could be viewed as a showdown of the two best 145lbers in North America.

Old
04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
What ever happened to Evan Tanner? Is he still fighting with UFC? The odd dark match perhaps? I always liked Tanner, hopefully he's still around.
Interview with Evan Tanner: 03/07

Updates about his foundation can be found on his online journal at www.evantanner.net

Old
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Diaz over Gomi a no-contest because of...pot?
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3754&zoneid=13

Is there really anything behind this?

I've been high, been punched.. it hurt. I was never punched in the face by a lightweight Pride champ, then put him in a gogoplata.. but it hurt.
That's pretty stupid. So what now? They're going to go back and change every fight to a no contest for whoever smokes weed? That's ridiculous. Marijuana IS NOT a performance enhancer.

Old
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Interview with Evan Tanner: 03/07

Updates about his foundation can be found on his online journal at www.evantanner.net
Thanks Ensane, interesting read.

Old
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
In my mind there's no such thing as a lucky punch. If getting a KO over GSP in the 1st round isn't domination I don't know what is. Face it guys we all love GSP but he lost it happens to every great fighter its just a matter of time until he gets his belt back.
No kidding..

How many shots did St Pierre land? A couple glancing kicks? He got whooped on.

If those forearm shots / elbows/ hammerfists at the end do not state "I just whopped you arse" I dont know what does.

Old
04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
BigE

Quote:
And no one would disagree with you there.

We're just saying it wasn't domination.

From recollection it looked as though he slipped into the punch that sent him drunk across the octagon. The initial slip could be attributed to many things - stiffness as he said afterward - but certainly the latter mis-steps were from the punch.

The science of the brain is this: No matter how tough your chin is, there is always a spot - even if ever so slight - that will send you sprawling. Serra has got some good upper body strength at 170 and it's no surprise that a punch that lands on the right spot is going to send someone down.

I think we're likely to see a GSP vs. Hughes rubber match in October or November. Hopefully then he can show us all the fighter that he truly is.

Old
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
BigE

Quote:
That's pretty stupid. So what now? They're going to go back and change every fight to a no contest for whoever smokes weed? That's ridiculous. Marijuana IS NOT a performance enhancer.
It is if it inhibits your nervous system thus increasing your pain threshold.

The guy fought with a broken orbital bone for crying out loud...

Old
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Clash*

Marijuana is a great painkiller, and when used in conjunction with other painkillers works the best. That came from a Popular Science I read about two years ago talkin about Sativex and other medicinal uses of marijuana. So yeah, in some cases and evidently in such a high level with Diaz, it can be construed as performance enhancing as it numbs the pain.

but I have never really known anyone to want to fight while stoned. Most usually don't care.

Old
04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
QuickDynamite

Marijuana can only be used as a painkiller when your high. That can't help you during the fight. Diaz is just a tough SOB.

Old
04-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Marijuana can only be used as a painkiller when your high. That can't help you during the fight. Diaz is just a tough SOB.
Maybe you missed this....
Quote:
Alamo went on to say, "Mr. Diaz was 175. This creates a unique situation. I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and... that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did."
Now its his word against their's. But the NSAC also has the factual test results to solidify their position.

Old
04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
ZombieMatt

For me it comes down to whether or not Diaz broke the rules. The answer is yes. An athlete must obey the rules of their sport. Whether that is no groin strikes or not having pot in your system, they are both rules. If you fail to play by the rules you must be penalized.

Old
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
Maybe you missed this.... Now its his word against their's. But the NSAC also has the factual test results to solidify their position.
There's no way someone is going to fight in that condition. And if he did I give him even bigger props for going in there and beating one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world while he's high. That would almost be the same as going into a fight drunk it slows your reaction time and doesn't make sense to fight if your high.

I can guarantee you all there was no chance Diaz was high during the fight. None whatsoever. While Marijuana can be used as a pain killer and to "numb the pain" like he said its not like your going to have a fractured orbital bone or get punched in the face and you aren't going to feel anything. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited by QuickDynamite: 04-11-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis View Post
For me it comes down to whether or not Diaz broke the rules. The answer is yes. An athlete must obey the rules of their sport. Whether that is no groin strikes or not having pot in your system, they are both rules. If you fail to play by the rules you must be penalized.
Penalized, sure, but does the rulebook specifically say that a winning fighter shall have his victory lessened to a no contest? Or does it give full interpretation to the governing body. If I get some time today I'll see if I can look into it--but if the rules do not clearly spell out the latter situation, then I think there's a big case to be made for Diaz appealing.

Perhaps I'm just a bit bitter that one of the best fights of the year is being overturned, but I think my reasoning makes sense.

Old
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
It is if it inhibits your nervous system thus increasing your pain threshold.

The guy fought with a broken orbital bone for crying out loud...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ness
Marijuana is a great painkiller, and when used in conjunction with other painkillers works the best. That came from a Popular Science I read about two years ago talkin about Sativex and other medicinal uses of marijuana. So yeah, in some cases and evidently in such a high level with Diaz, it can be construed as performance enhancing as it numbs the pain.
Quote:
I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and... that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did."

Those three people have never in their life smoked pot. Does pot help with pain? Yeah sure but a friggin broken orbital? No *** way, Diaz (and I don't like the guy) is just a frickin tough SOB. I've been punched and broken my toe while high and it still friggin hurts bad.

Was he high during the fight? I don't think so, if he was then all I have to say is wow, while stoned he FRIGGIN gogoplataed (is that a word?) Takanori Gomi. I think I need to make a parody of those anti-pot commercials

Old
04-11-2007, 01:48 PM
LiquidClown

Also an interesting note, then shouldn't Diego be 18-1-1 now?

Old
04-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Also an interesting note, then shouldn't Diego be 18-1-1 now?
Two different states, two different governing bodies. They probably have different remedial procedures for handling such incidents. Also, it sounds like Diaz's level of toxicty played a role in the decision.

Old
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Habsfan18

Dan Henderson over Wanderlei Silva
Sokoudjou over Lil Nog
Nick Diaz over Takinori Gomi (it's now been changed to a no decision)
Randy Couture over Tim Sylvia
Sokoudjou over Ricardo Arona (could be the real deal that Sokoudjou)
Matt Serra over GSP

The year of the upset.

Is anybody else all of a sudden not so sure anymore about Fedor Emelienenko beating Matt Lindland on Saturday?

lol, Fedor should pwn Lindland..but ya never know...I don't think there should ever be a clear cut favourite in MMA anymore. Anything can happen and it's been proven, imo.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-11-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
lol, Fedor should pwn Lindland..but ya never know...I don't think there should ever be a clear cut favourite in MMA anymore. Anything can happen and it's been proven, imo.
More parity in MMA, much like the NHL.. teams with more wins getting bumped - and more "underdogs" are pulling off upsets.

Matt Serra is a world class fighter, much like most guy who walk into the octogon/pride ring (with some reasonable exceptions)

It is so much harder to be a dominant force in MMA than any other sport.

If Lindland does beat Fedor, should anyone be surprised anymore?

Old
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Penalized, sure, but does the rulebook specifically say that a winning fighter shall have his victory lessened to a no contest? Or does it give full interpretation to the governing body. If I get some time today I'll see if I can look into it--but if the rules do not clearly spell out the latter situation, then I think there's a big case to be made for Diaz appealing.

Perhaps I'm just a bit bitter that one of the best fights of the year is being overturned, but I think my reasoning makes sense.
Does a cheater deserve to be credited for a victory?

I agree with you that the rulebook needs to be more clear, however. But at the end of the day, Diaz shirked his responsibility as a professional athlete and I hope this is a valuable lesson to him.

There are people who may not like the fact that marijuana is illegal. Frankly, that's irrelevant. It IS an illegal drug and it is subsequently a banned substance as well by the athletic commission. Also, the level read was quite staggering...the "threshold" as I understand it is 50. Diaz registered a staggering 175...that's 3.5x the "punishable" level - which seems extremely high (no pun intended) to me. It would be good to have a point of reference (if somebody just smoked two hours ago, what would they register?), but the commission seems to believe strongly that the evidence suggests that Diaz was under the influence if not during the fight, than very close to the fight.

Old
04-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Those three people have never in their life smoked pot. Does pot help with pain? Yeah sure but a friggin broken orbital? No *** way, Diaz (and I don't like the guy) is just a frickin tough SOB. I've been punched and broken my toe while high and it still friggin hurts bad.

Was he high during the fight? I don't think so, if he was then all I have to say is wow, while stoned he FRIGGIN gogoplataed (is that a word?) Takanori Gomi. I think I need to make a parody of those anti-pot commercials
I smoked pot for over 15 years. When you smoke enough, there becomes a point you just don't get high anymore. The euphoria just does not exist. Does the same happen with the painkilling aspects of it, I have no idea, but I know there was many a time no matter how much I smoked, I just didn't get high. And I'm talkin as a person who went to bed prepared to wake and bake in the morning. There were times I had to temporarily stop smoking just to be able to have the euphoria return.

I'm not even sure if this was a first time suspension for Diaz. Something tells me he was suspended once before for failing a drug test for marijuana, but not sure. And if it was a second failed test, then he deserves the punishment.

And I'm for the legalization of the drug for enviromental and medicinal reasons. Anyone curious for some additional info should look up Jack Herer (sp) on MySpace.

Old
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
I smoked pot for over 15 years. When you smoke enough, there becomes a point you just don't get high anymore. The euphoria just does not exist. Does the same happen with the painkilling aspects of it, I have no idea, but I know there was many a time no matter how much I smoked, I just didn't get high. And I'm talkin as a person who went to bed prepared to wake and bake in the morning. There were times I had to temporarily stop smoking just to be able to have the euphoria return.

I'm not even sure if this was a first time suspension for Diaz. Something tells me he was suspended once before for failing a drug test for marijuana, but not sure. And if it was a second failed test, then he deserves the punishment.

And I'm for the legalization of the drug for enviromental and medicinal reasons. Anyone curious for some additional info should look up Jack Herer (sp) on MySpace.
That's great and all but you failed to address the point I was trying to get across. Gomi shattered his orbital bone, I don't care how high you are, you are going to feel that and feel that bad, the pot didn't help him win. Give him a no contest for using a banned substance/ Sure but don't try and pull wool over everyone's eyes.

Jack Herer Had a bit of that while in Amsterdam, quite tasty!

Closed Thread