HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What path do they take?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 02:34 PM
shelovesshanny

vCash: 500
What path do they take?

Just a hypothetical. If the lockout lasts for say an entire year, where is the best place for nhlers to go? Do they go to the german, slovakian, russian, etc. leagues? If they sign contracts there how do they come back over as soon as the lockout is over? Or can they just play in the minors here? Or a third option, would there be a startup league here in north america that will try to take over the market?
My personal opinion (i dont know the logistics of it so dont rag me please ) would be for them to stay here and play in the minors. Think about all of the cities that these superstars would play in. Many fans would be seeing them for the first time in person. I actually think in the end this could help in the exposure category for the league and might diffuse some of the anger fans will undoubtedly show when the lockout begins. Itd be pretty cool for some fan in a small town like Norfolk, Virginia to be able to see Darren Mccarty and Todd Bertuzzi get into a good scrap for twenty bucks. Just a thought. Let me know what you all think.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

They will take the path that pays them the most money, in most cases, and that will generally be in the elite leagues of Scandinavia, Russia, and Germany, if I had to hazard a guess.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
shveik

One thing for sure, it is not going to be the AHL. AHL is not an independent league from the NHL, so I doubt they'll sign any of the NHLPA players during the lockout.

Like it was said, many players will go abroad (there is talk of Bertuzzi joining Naslund and Forsberg at MoDo - a treat for Swedish fans). As far as North American opportunities go, there is some talk of WHA revival.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
They will take the path that pays them the most money, in most cases, and that will generally be in the elite leagues of Scandinavia, Russia, and Germany, if I had to hazard a guess.
If players play in those leagues I think they have to sit out an entire season before they can come back. I seem to remember Petr Nedved (I think?) doing this. If that was the case they would sit around and maybe go to the gym. That also explains why the players have been saving money and putting it away. They know they will be without income for however long the lockout lasts.

Nevertheless, several players, particularly Europeans and most notably Peter Forsberg and Nik Lidstrom have made noises about ending their playing careers back home. It would not surprise me to see more than a handful of players, older Europeans in particular go this route. Most of the North Americans I expect will not play in the minors, especially the superstars. There's too much risk of injury. Rookies and fringe players might play in the minors though.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:39 PM
n00dles

matter of fact they will all join the german DEL making it finally possible for me to see all the stars in live action and have them autograph all my jerseys

on another note they will obviously seek money over competition. some might choose to play in their native country even when they would not earn as much as in other european leagues (Naslund, Lidstrom anyone?)

Old
02-19-2004, 06:27 PM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesshanny
Just a hypothetical. If the lockout lasts for say an entire year, where is the best place for nhlers to go?
If the lockout lasts for an entire year, the players might want to consider marching into their union hall and telling their leaders to make a deal. None of the options you mentioned will result in the players making anywhere near the money they make now.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Knucklez

Most of them will probably go overseas.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:42 PM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
If players play in those leagues I think they have to sit out an entire season before they can come back. I seem to remember Petr Nedved (I think?) doing this. If that was the case they would sit around and maybe go to the gym. That also explains why the players have been saving money and putting it away. They know they will be without income for however long the lockout lasts.
Actually the players cannot play overseas *after the NHL season starts*. So, if there is a lockout, they are free to go anywhere until the lockout ends.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik
Actually the players cannot play overseas *after the NHL season starts*. So, if there is a lockout, they are free to go anywhere until the lockout ends.
So that's how it works. Thanks for the info.

i still don't see any "stars" of the game going anywhere. The risk of injury is too great weighed against future earnings.

Closed Thread