HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO GDT Sharks vs Predators Game #3

Old
04-17-2007, 01:16 AM
renodave

vCash: 500
As a Sharks fan, I have to say that while Nashville is an incredibly talented team, they were outmatched tonight by a bigger, stronger team. The home ice - last change advantage was very evident in the game as the Sharks were able to get the matchups they wanted. That said, I still think Nashville can come back in this series - but they're not going to do it by outhitting the Sharks. They need to capitalize on their speed and transition game along with the Sharks youthful mistakes (14 giveaways tonight). I think Nashville has deluded itself in thinking that it can out-muscle the Sharks. This is not going to work. If Radulov and Sullivan were in the lineup, this would be a very different series.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:17 AM
braindead

Ugly in every way. Even the goal ensured that we would try to score cute goals the rest of the night. Very few positives, but TV was great. Credit the Sharks as they played exactly the game that they wanted.

This is why they play a series. Our guys needed to grab one game out of two. They blew the first one but can salvage it with the second.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Ugly in every way. Even the goal ensured that we would try to score cute goals the rest of the night. Very few positives, but TV was great. Credit the Sharks as they played exactly the game that they wanted.

This is why they play a series. Our guys needed to grab one game out of two. They blew the first one but can salvage it with the second.
I think you're spot on. We had success by pressuring their young defense and young forwards and creating turnovers in the first two games. Tonight, we regressed back into the same thing that's not worked....since the first few games of the 05-06 season...bombing homerun pass after homerun pass through the neutral zone, and credit the Sharks..they knew to watch for it...and turned the interceptions into scoring chances.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well, that was not the way to play a playoff game. San Jose did a very good job of making it difficult for us to breakout the puck and made it even more difficult to get the puck deep with any speed heading in on the forecheck.

The Sharks finished all of their checks and outworked us for all of the loose pucks in the corners, along the boards, and in the middle of the ice. They did a good job at getting traffic to the front of the net and making it difficult on Vokoun all night long.

I thought we did a good job of weathering their early attack in the first period, answered most of their hits, and got out of it with a 1-0 lead on a pretty passing play between Dumont, Legwand, and Suter.

Penalty killing did a great job, although the second SJ goal came just after the PP ended. Vokoun was our best penalty killer (although I really didn't like the GWG) and kept us in there early and late until Marleau got the tip for the third SJ goal. Bottom line is as well as our PK is playing...we are not at home, we do not get nearly the same lift from a great penalty-kill as we do on the road. When we are on the PK, it means that we are not only playing to SJ's strength, but also that our "money" players (Forsberg, Arnott, Kariya, etc) are sitting on the bench and our supporting cast (Dumont, Legwand, Nichol, Fiddler, Smithson) are expending extra energy.

Losing Erat on top of being without Radulov hurt big time in the third period. With Erat's "undisclosed leg injury" you have got to be concerned about his knee injury. We simply lacked that extra spark from a player in the Erat/Radulov mold (get the puck with a head of steam and take it wide/find the open area of ice when Forsberg has the puck to set up for a shot) to complement any of our attacks.

Horrible turnover on the third goal. Hamhuis with a hard pass that looked like it was wide of Forsberg and that Forsberg was the last person expecting the puck and tried in vein to get a stick on it and wound up trying to make a play leading to the horrid turnover in the middle of our DZ. Forsberg doesn't control the puck and is heading the opposite way allowing Guerin to get the shot off and Marleau beats Hamhuis to the front of the net and gets the deflection while Dan apparently is standing in the corner admiring his pass up the middle.

As much as I would like to rip Vokoun for the second goal, some horrid rebounds, and even worse stickhandling...I must say he gave us a chance to win tonight. He held us in there in the first period, was our best penalty killer, and cannot be faulted on the tip between Zanon's legs for the first goal or the total lack of effort by his teammates on the third goal. Yes, Vokoun should help out his teammates when they make mistakes, but...once and a while the puck is going to get through. Vokie made some big point-blank saves on Grier, Cheechoo, and Guerin among others tonight and while I think he can still improve his game...he gave us a chance to win and that's all you can ask of a goalie.

Concerned about Weber. Someone mentioned in another thread that he has a guard on his foot and in the third period after I read the post...I too thought it looked like he was wearing a protective boot over his skate (I think the left) and wasn't really pushing off of that foot especially in close quarters, but even more so whenever he needed to turn. Any injury to Shea would be critical in this series, but a lower body injury would be more devastating than an upper body injury IMO.

The keys to the next game are the same as they were for tonight's game and we simply need a better effort and better execution or else San Jose is going to come back to Nashville Friday night with a chance to eliminate us.

As bad as I felt tonight at times...I remain confident in our team and believe that we can still win this series if we stick to the basics. Wednesday is a whole new game and a win there will simply make it a 3 game series and give us back home ice advantage. Can't get too high or too low during the playoffs. Tonight was bad, but tomorrow is a brand new day.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:03 AM
cibtom
:(

Send a message via ICQ to cibtom
what happened with erat? he played only few minutes

cibtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:56 AM
braindead

Better than his linemates Kariya and Legwand who didn't play at all.

Old
04-17-2007, 03:20 AM
WineShark

Some observations:
  • The series is 7 games and the Preds can reclaim home ice with a win Wednesday. (Personally I hope they don't)
  • Its a 2-1 series lead. Its not a 3-1 series lead.
  • The game was like game one, with the home team taking over after the first period. The outcome was different than game 1. Most believed the Sharks stole the OT game.
  • Vokoun played great. I didn't check the stars, but he should have been one.
  • IMO, the refs did an OK job. The Forsberg penalty was a little weak. They missed the 4 minute double minor at the end when Michalek was cut. Some of the posters that are asking for obstruction ..... I see the obstruction plays, but the refs arent calling obstruction very often and really havent been this whole year.
  • Even with statistical domination, the game was close until the Marleau tip.
  • Kariya is MIA and I can't figure out why. I don't think the Sharks are focusing on stopping him necessarily.
  • The Preds have problems with Sullivan AND Erat hurt and Radulov out.
  • I dont see Trotz making adjustments in the game. He seemed stuck on the same game plan all game when it was clear he needed to make some changes.
Too early to give up. It was a good game from the Sharks pespective with the team rolling 4 lines and wearing the Preds down. It was a bad game from the Preds perspective with no real leadership showing tonight from the players or coaches.

But .... the Sharks have to win 4 games. We will know what the Preds have after Wednesday's game. A win and you get home ice back and a tie series. A loss and its going to be a long summer.

Best of luck.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:16 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Better than his linemates Kariya and Legwand who didn't play at all.
LOL! You guys didn't play that bad. I agree with an earlier post saying that killing off PKs gives you more of a boost at home b/c the fans really get behind you.

Voukon was simply amazing. Nothing he could do on that 3rd goal.

Your PK was just as good, especially having to kill off 6 b/f you got your first PP.

It does seem, though, that your aggressiveness has gone down after Radulov's suspension. I think that's a mistake. You should still play aggressive hockey since the Sharks PP is not working. Its worth risking a 5 min major if that means controlling the tempo of the game.

Can't wait for game 4 with Rad back. He's been your best player. The Sharks needed to win this one. This series should still go to 7.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Nashville108*

so...who do you guys think we take in the draft?

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Some observations:
  • Kariya is MIA and I can't figure out why. I don't think the Sharks are focusing on stopping him necessarily.
  • The Preds have problems with Sullivan AND Erat hurt and Radulov out.
  • I dont see Trotz making adjustments in the game. He seemed stuck on the same game plan all game when it was clear he needed to make some changes.
the most important factor in bold.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
braindead

One other bright spot is faceoff wins. We essentially were even against them and were very good against Jumbo Joe.

This team has climbed in the dead zone before this year when we were ready to leave them for dead so I'm going to follow the old sports cliche that the only game that matters is the next one. It still takes 4 to win.

Which reminds me of the thought for the day: there are only 3 kinds of people in this world- those who know how to count.... and those who don't.

Old
04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
RollingPredFan

Well we have no 1st round pick again

But anyhoo, try to not get too down, I had a feeling we would drop this one. Radulov was a sparkplug for us down the stretch. Its sad too that a rookie is outperforming most of our vets but oh well.

We just got outplayed, though I can understand why people are nervous, it looked like how we played when we let the division slip away.

We just have to win a road game somehow. Hopefully tommorrow!

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:47 PM
handtrick

At the beginning of the game, the Sharks were finishing every single check on our d-men.....granted we did weather the storm that first period, but the continual pounding of our d-men over time took its toll, much as the way in boxing that you see the result of early body punches in the later rounds.
The whole third period they cycled endlessly on us...it was as if our dmen had nothing left in the tank to do anything about it. The Sharks basically used their 18 lbs average weight advantage perfectly by grinding us down over time. Once they were able to get the lead and just keep putting the puck in deep, we were toast. Our puck moving defensemen were just not up to the challenge of breaking up the cycle, then getting the transition game going, because by the time we finally got possesion of the puck, it was time to just dump it in and get a change because everyone was gassed.

The main culprit of our undoing, of course, was taking the 7 straight penalties that led to us being on the penalty kill 40% of the 2nd half of the 1st, and 50% of the entire 2nd period. It is no coincidence that we did not score another goal from the time Suter scored the first one at 11:53 in the first for the rest of the game as our own version of the Battan Death March to the box began at 14:06 and continued for over 20 minutes.
By that time, San Jose had it clearly in the bag despite it only being 2-1, as the entire remainder of the game was spent in our end of the ice.
Could a conversion by Arnott on a breakaway have made a difference....absolutely, but, to be honest....Arnott has about as much aability to score on a breakaway and a deke as Smithson, Hordichuk, and Tootoo do.

When Erat went down in the mid portion of the 2nd [coinciding with the end of our parade to the box] our guys were so gassed or so out of synch from sitting on the bench for long stretches that we really missed Erat's ability to help move the puck, and we were basically down to a two line team against a team that was rolling 4 lines and being able to chip it in deep, cycle endlessly, and establish the forecheck........not a recipe for late game heroics, if you ask me.

Why is Kariya invisible in this series?
I just think he matches up terribly with the Sharks. They have good speed, but at the same time, have the size and strength to cancel out his game, as they are able to keep up with him.
Last night, initially they were matching up the Thornton/Cheechoo line against him....but after our first score in which Kariya's line's passing ability just made Nabokov look silly.....Wilson made a subtle switch which most people don't seem to have picked up on......now it was the Marleau/Guerin line which was mostly matched up with him and Legwand and totally nullified there speed and puckhandling [having Tootoo now on the line instead of Erat certainly didn't help in the puckhandling department].

I would venture to say that the absence of Radulov and loss of Erat....coupled with the long parade to the penalty box made it virtually impossible to recover and reassert our game in the last bit of the second and the entire 3rd periods, despite the excellent job by our penalty killers and Vokoun.

Fortunately Wednesday the score starts over at 0-0...but Wilson certainly has the blueprint to put the final nail in our coffin if we can't stay out of the box.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Well we have no 1st round pick again
Weber was a 2nd rounder.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote