HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Let's say there was a time machine...

Old
04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
The Sher-Wood PMP 5030 is the biggest selling stick ever made for hockey. It hasn't changed since 1972 (I have a picture of Yvon Courneyer with one at the 1972 series, if you'd like to see!), and is the stick Sidney Crosby was using last year. They still make them, they still sell lots of them, and I am one of the lucky owners of some of them. Good enough for Al MacInnis up to the day he retired 2 years ago, good enough for me. Not everyone falls for the old "I've GOT to have the newest (fill in the blank here) or I'm just not cool!" routine. I shoot a lot harder with a wood stick than I do with composites I've tried. Plus, I can catch a pass! And pass. And the stick rarely breaks when I'm receiving a pass, like the composites do.
I need to second this, I used those sticks up until recently when I switched to a Montreal, they are fantastic. I'd take them over any composite crap any day of the week.

schoenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
I need to second this, I used those sticks up until recently when I switched to a Montreal, they are fantastic. I'd take them over any composite crap any day of the week.
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this question, but did they have curved sticks in the early 70's? When did curved sticks become the norm in hockey?

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:22 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this question, but did they have curved sticks in the early 70's? When did curved sticks become the norm in hockey?
Mikita & Hull were curving their sticks in the 60's and were winning just about all the Art Ross trophies with record point seasons. Also Hull was regularly scoring over 50 goals for the first time ever. I would think based on that curved sticks were very popular in the early 70's.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
FelixPotvin

Have we forgotten the lessons of www.NoMoreOrr.com already?

LOL

The 72 team with Orr and Hull would win but I have to think it wouldnt be a blow out.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPotvin View Post

LOL

The 72 team with Orr and Hull would win but I have to think it wouldnt be a blow out.
Holy ****!
I've never seen that site before, is it new or has it been around awhile?

I love Orr's "adjusted stats". The whole time I'm reading I'm thinking to myself "this has to be a joke", but in the FAQ section it clearly states it isn't.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
alrusso

Too Much Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Holy ****!
I've never seen that site before, is it new or has it been around awhile?

I love Orr's "adjusted stats". The whole time I'm reading I'm thinking to myself "this has to be a joke", but in the FAQ section it clearly states it isn't.
Clearly this person has too much time on his hands. Lets start a NoMoreGretzky.com site. Yeah, that sounds about right.

alrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:39 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPotvin View Post

LOL

Geez, what a bunch of dopes!

OK, I agree with Orr (and Hull) the Canucks win the series 6-2 instead of 4-3-1 with :34 whole seconds to go over an obviously inferior CCCP team. Orr himself probably would have scored 5 goals and had 10 assists, along with preventing at least 4 goals against, and that would have been enough to ensure some easier victories. But then what would history remember of Paul Henderson? Nothing! And Phil Esposito? Would he still be considered a great Canadian if he hadn't had to make that speech about the rotten fans in Canada? Cause the team would have been ahead 3 games to none at the time, in all likelihood.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Mahox
Noncontroversial

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael3d View Post
canada cuo 87 what can you say

Krutov - Gretzky - Makarov
Messier - Lemieux - Pavel Bure
Brett Hull - LaFontaine - Selanne
OT:
(I agree, Selanne definetly goes on that list.
At the canada cup 87 he was a 17 year old junior and not yet even playing in the first division of the finnish hockey league. )

Mahox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 04:16 PM
bob437

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can create a Computer Simulation Ice Hockey Tournament based on all the GOLD MEDAL TEAMS in Winter Olympic Ice Hockey History (1920-2014)? Categories such as Strength of Schedule,Offense,Defense,Goalie Quality,Physical Conditioning,Preparation,Talent,Tactics among other things can be considered in the Data collected to create this Computer Simulation Ice Hockey Tournament. My E-mail is robertgibson437@gmail.com

bob437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 04:33 PM
MadLuke

Someone said it won time and I liked it, the better time machine mental exercice is making them play at the middle.

What if both team take a time machine and play the game in 1987 (you can make them play that 1987 team as well ), with 1987 equipment, rules and referee with 2 month of training camp to adjust to the equipment.

That way no team have the "home" time advantage, but maybe it help the older player too much specially goaltender, maybe it is easier to adjust to better equipment than the other way around.

If you make 1972 players play against 2002 player (with their equipment), maybe that some way to score do not even work against modern goaltender, you need to give some adjustment time to be fair. Bobby Fisher would get destroyed against everybody in today world chess top 50 in a time machine game scenario, but let him 2 year's to learn modern opening, end games theory, etc... and he would get back at the top.

Last edited by MadLuke: 04-08-2015 at 04:39 PM.
MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
WingsFan95

I don't think size is as much an issue as equipment, sans guys like Lemieux and Lindros of course.

That said, we're using 72 equipment, no helmets and a healthy Bobby Orr for Canada 72.

I'm thinking the 72 team wins 4-2. It's finesse vs. physicality but keep in mind this is 72 rules so the goon line would have a field day on guys like Lindros and Sakic.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote