HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Virginia Tech

Old
04-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Thoughts and prayers with all those down at Virginia Tech and all those involved and that are effected by this. This is just horrible, you have to wonder what is going through people's heads when they decide to do this. :: shakes head ::

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Unreal.

I'm speechless, I can't even find the words to describe this.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmekel View Post
The University administration holds some responsibility (albeit much less than the disturbed @#$%& who did the shooting) for allowing the campus to remain open after the 1st shooting.

I agree totally with that, but there is no way to tell everyone campus is closed, they can't call anyone and noboby knows to call a hotline even if they have one for that reason, there are no loudspeakers all over campus...the only way would be through email and not everyone checks that all the time and students could be in the middle of heading to their next class and not get it. its a very difficult thing to do. I agree with what you are saying though and I think there needs to be ways on all campuses to give out a warning.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Balej20*

Wow, listening to all the school administrators/security porsonnel talk, they sure made a lot of assumptions. Very pathetic effort on all their parts. They actually were telling students to "procede with caution" as they entered school. That is just incredible.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Wow, listening to all the school administrators/security porsonnel talk, they sure made a lot of assumptions. Very pathetic effort on all their parts. They actually were telling students to "procede with caution" as they entered school. That is just incredible.
Again, until you know the facts you shouldn't assume either. Here is the article, look at this quote:

CNN

Steger added, "We had some reason to believe the shooter had left campus."

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

This is unreal, my heart goes out to everyone at VT

How **** up in the head do you have to be to do something like this? Just sickening, good bless you VT.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
funky

This is totally disgusting. My thoughts and prayers go out to families, friends and any one surrounding the victems.

I am an officer in a Canadian city population 300,000. On Wednesday I am taking part in my first practice to aid us street level constables deal with school related shootings. I have been an officer for 7 years and this is the first formal training we have recieved in how to properly access then deal with a shooting in progress, something that I thought should have been dealt with long ago. We still have citizens complaining that the Police are becoming to militant and should not be aloud to train in the schools after hours.

What blows me away is I worked as a special constable at a major University before becomming a cop and the only power we were given to man a campus that swelled to 30,000 people during days was a 16 inch collapsable baton and a bullet proof vest. If anythig major happened we were to phone the Police and hope they would be able to free up units and attend.

I know the States is policed more militently then Canada, Judges actually are not scared to put people in jail, and public usually back them using force to capture a fellon. It is horribly sad when it takes numerous Columbine, Taber(Alta) and now Virginia Tech shootings to get a reaction out of the people. I will not blame Administration, I will not blame the Police as I like the majority don't know what exactly happened. I will say more training is needed for our officers and faculties to deal with these type of horrid incidents and harsher gun laws and sentences by the judges.

Again, my heart breaks hearing this news. With the anniversary of Columbine just around the corner and news in our local paper that Police in Calgary just arrested a teen for threatening a teachers life then finding an assault rifle in his possession, it is just a matter of time before these become a monthly occurance.

Last edited by funky: 04-16-2007 at 05:59 PM.
funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:56 PM
rangers8

Prayers go out to the familes and students... scary stuff... digusting... puts your life in perspective and realize what is really important

rangers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22 View Post
Again, until you know the facts you shouldn't assume either. Here is the article, look at this quote:

CNN

Steger added, "We had some reason to believe the shooter had left campus."
The word that bothers me is "Believe." You don't make assumptions when people's lives are on the line. When there is a killer on the loose, you don't take chances. What would have been the harm in locking down the campus from anyone coming in, and evacuating anyone that was already in their dorms?

This happened before ANY class started. The campus only had dormers at the school. Commuters had not yet arrived. It would not have been hard to go to each dorm and tell everyone to get out. And it would have been very easy to shut the entrance gates as to not allow anyone else in.

They made a MAJOR mistake and their is no excuse.

Old
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
The word that bothers me is "Believe." You don't make assumptions when people's lives are on the line. When there is a killer on the loose, you don't take chances. What would have been the harm in locking down the campus from anyone coming in, and evacuating anyone that was already in their dorms?
This happened before ANY class started. The campus only had dormers at the school. Commuters had not yet arrived. It would not have been hard to go to each dorm and tell everyone to get out. And it would have been very easy to shut the entrance gates as to not allow anyone else in.

And your experience running security for a 2600 acre campus tells you these things?

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
RFAN

Quote:

As I have been reading this, I am watching NBC news and they were interviewing the head VT;

Brian Williams asked why two hour went by and he said that after the first shooting that the police had a suspect in custody, so they thought it was over...

With that said its hard to crucify the school at this point. There are 26,000 student with 14,000 living off campus, thats a lot of people to deal with.

The blame is on the disgusting person who would do this and on him alone. Its just horrible all around and a lot of misinformation out there, so be careful.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
millax

Quote:

You try locking down such a massive campus.. You have thousands of students all trying to get to safety, not to mention all of the media, police and fire people on the scene. Not to mention there is no precedent for a shooter to hide and wait a few hours before shooting again.

They said they split into two groups. One group was hunting down the shooter, the other tending to the wounded students. You simple could not lock down a campus that large.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This thread is to offer words of condolenses and well wishes. This is not the time or place to point fingers and try and find blame. That time will come and the dialogue will not take place on a hockey board.

Lets acknowledge the losses, not look to assign blame. That is more important right now.

04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
The Big Apple

God Bless to all those, in which this incident has hurt....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
SML

First, this is a horrible day... These were innocent victims and my thoughts go out to them and their families and all the people who were wounded and had to witness such an act.
Second, I truly feel for the police who were conducting their "investigation" while this went on. The police follow a pretty set game plan. They connect the dots. If the situation looked like a domestic situation, between ex boyfriend/ girlfriend or such, why would they really have any reason to believe that there was anyone else at risk? These situations generally don't play out that way... Unfortunately, the way they handled this situation is going to be disected and microscoped by know it alls for the rest of their lives. Don't think they don't feel as terrible as a human being could possibly feel right now, and that's not going to go away.
Thirdly, I don't like the knee jerk reactions about how they should have had a plan to lock down a college campus. I would be surprised if you went to any college campus this morning and asked them what their "lockdown" plan was, if they would be able to give you anything at all. College administrators don't think that way. That said, if you went to any college campus tomorrow and asked the same question, I'd be shocked if they didn't have a plan in the works or already developed.
Unfortunately, it takes horrible acts of cruelty like this or 9/11 or whatever to make such changes. The more unfortunate thing is that once the changes are made, you never really ever go back to the way things were before, and every time this happens you lose a little more of the good parts of our society, and you never get them back. What a bad day...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
First, this is a horrible day... These were innocent victims and my thoughts go out to them and their families and all the people who were wounded and had to witness such an act.
Second, I truly feel for the police who were conducting their "investigation" while this went on. The police follow a pretty set game plan. They connect the dots. If the situation looked like a domestic situation, between ex boyfriend/ girlfriend or such, why would they really have any reason to believe that there was anyone else at risk? These situations generally don't play out that way... Unfortunately, the way they handled this situation is going to be disected and microscoped by know it alls for the rest of their lives. Don't think they don't feel as terrible as a human being could possibly feel right now, and that's not going to go away.
Thirdly, I don't like the knee jerk reactions about how they should have had a plan to lock down a college campus. I would be surprised if you went to any college campus this morning and asked them what their "lockdown" plan was, if they would be able to give you anything at all. College administrators don't think that way. That said, if you went to any college campus tomorrow and asked the same question, I'd be shocked if they didn't have a plan in the works or already developed.
Unfortunately, it takes horrible acts of cruelty like this or 9/11 or whatever to make such changes. The more unfortunate thing is that once the changes are made, you never really ever go back to the way things were before, and every time this happens you lose a little more of the good parts of our society, and you never get them back. What a bad day...
ye, this is pretty sad to see. It seems to be happening with more frequency as of late...which makes me think that maybe parents don't always know what goes on in their children's lives (assuming the gunman was a student), which is a serious problem. I know my parents don't know much about what goes on in my life...and they are not the people I would go to if I'm depressed.

There has to be more communication and trust between kids and parents...

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 04-16-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
The Thomas J.*

Lot of nutjobs outthere, make dyou wonder what has to take place in someones life to wake up one day and decide to take out as many defenseless people as you can.
I just saw on CNN that the prep. wasn't even a student at VA.
So disguestingly outraegous.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

Dude I understand your feelings but at the same time put yourself in their shoes. If you believe this is a random incident and you've got the alleged perp in custody you would never lock down the campus outta fear of triggering mass hysteria to be shortly followed by mass riducle and some idiot lawyer suing for something or other.

Sorry without knowing all the facts its hard to judge who screwed up. However, at the end of the day its almost impossible to protect people from these idiots who more and more coming up outta the woodwork and shooting up innocent people. We as a people are really doing something wrong when this keeps happening!!! Don't have the answer but things have got to change. This world keeps getting more and more **** up!!!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Dude I understand your feelings but at the same time put yourself in their shoes. If you believe this is a random incident and you've got the alleged perp in custody you would never lock down the campus outta fear of triggering mass hysteria to be shortly followed by mass riducle and some idiot lawyer suing for something or other.

Sorry without knowing all the facts its hard to judge who screwed up. However, at the end of the day its almost impossible to protect people from these idiots who more and more coming up outta the woodwork and shooting up innocent people. We as a people are really doing something wrong when this keeps happening!!! Don't have the answer but things have got to change. This world keeps getting more and more **** up!!!
First of all, they had no one in custody. They thought the guy left the campus. You can't act on assumptions when there is a killer at large. They should have immediatley locked the entrances and not allowed any of the incoming students to get in. I believe that is just common sense. There we no classes going on at the time of the first shooting. There were just a lot of common sense things that didn't take place here, and it cost lives.

Second, I'll tell you what I think is a big reason for these shootings taking place. It's the media. These sicko people know that if they do something like this, it will be a HUGE story and they will go up in a blaze of "glory" so to speak. It's unfortunate, but it just goes with the times that we are living in. Everyone sees everything on the news.

Old
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
This is a horrible tragedy. Thought and prayers to the people who lost there lives and there families.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:21 AM
dkich96

My thoughts and sincerity are with the victims and there families... I freaked out today when I heard it on the news, one of my closest of friends goes to med school there.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:29 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Sick of hearing it. My thoughts are with the familys.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:00 AM
KRM

Indeed unreal...

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Larry Melnyk

SBOB - Thanks for getting this thread on the right course...A horrible, horrible tragedy that has had me literally sick for the past day--but lucky that ALL of our friends down there are safe...But so many lifes ruined and devasted..

Gotta say though, I'm almost as sick about the TV coverage everywhere of the event.It's like the the lost lives don't even matter or, at best, a side show...All that matters is getting one's worthelss opinon out on the air, criticizing and pointing blame, and furthering political agendas even while children were still breathing their last breath.(There will no doubt be plenty of time and reason for all of that, when everything is known)....But, unfortunately, that's where our society and media is in today's world..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
But, unfortunately, that's where our society and media is in today's world..
Unfortunately indeed. I'm suprised actually, that the media found some time to cover this between all the breaking news on Anna Nicole and Don Imus

Man, what a tragedy. Thought and prayers to the families.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote