HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Future is at stake is all..

Old
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
volntitan

vCash: 500
Preds Future is at stake is all..

This next game may be the biggest in the franchise's history. If we go down 3-1, I don't think we come back. AND if we go one and done again, I seriously think there is a pretty good chance that the Preds are done in Nashville. I mean, if getting corporate support before was tough, it would be almost impossible after another dissappointing 1 and done. These players and especially the coaching staff have to go out and get the edge back. Last night's performance was embarrassing. They looked like they gave up after the Sharks went ahead. Who cares if Wilson thinks we were playing dirty? We were playing with a fire and edge in the first 2 games and it dissappeared last night and I blame Trotz for that. He needs to get more emotional.

volntitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Jarnberg

While I think a deep playoff run is important for the city, I don't think it is as dire as you make it out to be. Yes, a deep playoff run creating a buzz around town and generating more ticket interest would be awesome. However, I think that the Predators could still do well in the corporate sector regardless of our success in the playoffs. Something isn't being down correctly by the Predators in the corporate sells department.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
braindead

It's not that dire but the original post isn't that far off regarding the potential damage. The Preds have had momentum in ticket sales through the second half of this year but have consistently laid eggs EVERY weekend sellout night. To go 5 and out will leave a lot of die hard fans feeling empty so imagine what it does to the casual fan. I think the Preds need to get to 7 games or win the 1st round to avoid taking a step back in the ticket sales/ interest level department. Moreover, you know the Biddles/Climers of Nashville will have a field day with the "choke" "wasted assets on Forsberg" columns. It may not be fatal to the franchise but it will be a blow.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Bad Karma

We won't hit the mark for tickets sold if we don't play into the next round.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
We won't hit the mark for tickets sold if we don't play into the next round.
I have to agree ... what do they expect when every postseason its one and done and they don't make ALL changes necessary to help them achieve ... IF Trotz isn't fired after this one and done postseason ... its gonna be hard to justify paying what I pay

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
vopatsrash

The Preds could win this series in 7 and we all have so many annoyances with this team that would be likely exploited in the 3 losses that we’ll think we’re sunk after each loss. Hell, the Preds could win the cup and I think Trotz would be fired on np.com about 7-10 times along the way.

Games 1 and 3 were mirror images of each other, imo. The Sharks and Preds each played great road playoff hockey early and horrible road playoff hockey late in each game. The main difference is that we didn’t play good road hockey in game 3 for as long as SJ did in game 1, thus we didn’t have the cushion they did to hold them off or get it into OT when we faltered. While frustrating last night, it’s been a solid series to watch so far from a strategy and intensity standpoint. At least we’re not watching paint dry….errr….Dallas.

I can’t let myself worry about how or why Trotz should be fired. I can’t let myself worry about the long-term ramifications of ticket sales if we’re one and done. I’ve decided to just enjoy that we have playoff hockey while we have playoff hockey and rip everything that deserves to be ripped when it deserves to be ripped, which is after we’ve truly been eliminated. We have 7 games to win 4. Last night's embarassing loss could turn into tomorrow's classic win. This is the playoffs, even cup winners have their heart ripped out a few times along the way.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Hey Pred fans, the series aside, I think it really sucks for you hockey fans the IDEA that the Preds could move away already. Why is it your media doesn't support the team? Are they THAT against hockey?

GO SHARKS!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
I have to agree ... what do they expect when every postseason its one and done and they don't make ALL changes necessary to help them achieve ... IF Trotz isn't fired after this one and done postseason ... its gonna be hard to justify paying what I pay
I dont get it, what do you want from what essentially is a team still in its infancy

You've finally got a high quality team and a system under you
and you've worked your way into the playoffs the last 3 years
so what if you've only made the first round

you've got expansion teams that cant even make the damn playoffs who've been around longer than you

you've got Original 6 teams in the pooper (Chicago)
you've got Original 6 teams that are in worse shape talent wise (Toronto, Montreal, Boston)

Nashville and SJ caught the roughest draw of any of the 16 teams in the playoffs and Nashville is riddled with injuries

Sullivan
Erat
Nichol
Harts was hurt
Weber has that foot deal

Poille and Co. went out and made some intense moves at the deadline to help this team talent wise

is it his fault Sullivan and Erat are out?
did you want him to mortgage the entire future on a high name low talent rental player?
hell the best steal of the deadline was Sean Fudgin Avery.....

If Sully cant hack it anymore and is forced to retire from the back there are plenty of UFA's that can replace him
If sully heals over the summer, perfect

If they need to replace Trotz to get over the hump so be it
some coaches are builders, some are winners

The sheer negativity when the series is 2-1 after all that is astounding

Nut up my Pred Brethren

and thank your lucky stars you werent born a Leafs fan like me

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:44 PM
marc-edouard grier

Sharks fan here, and new-found Preds hater :

Hoping for the franchise to finally stabilize, maybe some of the new fans created from the buzz of being in the playoffs and Forsberg took them to a game and wowed them. Fortunately for the Preds, you guys have lots of young talent that will likely keep them at or near the top of the Central, which should lead to another high playoff berth. As long as you don't run into a team as good as us (saying that since our record looked "poor" from a lack of overtime, aka 3 pt, games), assuming that SJ wins this year, you should be guaranteed to see 2nd round playoff hockey next year, and as long as the team stays in Nashville through next year, that should be able to help build a relatively long-term fan base. Anyways, good luck, and here's to the Sharks winning in 5

Also, if I was the Preds media brass, I'd be promoting Radulov like no other, that guys insane. Crazy Remparts players

Last edited by marc-edouard grier: 04-17-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: assumed SJ would win the series when they hadn't already done so
marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Biggest problem with the Preds IMO is as follows:
  1. The fact two 50 win teams meet in the first round. The League needs to eliminate the automatic seeding for the Division winners. With that, you are on to round two probably (and this series is not over yet BTW.)
  2. See #1.
The team is a well built team. I might argue Trotz has outlived his usefulness. I can't remember an expansion coach that got his team deep into the Playoffs. But if they can continue to play good hockey and promote the team, they should be successful.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-edouard grier View Post
Sharks fan here, and new-found Preds hater :

Hoping for the franchise to finally stabilize, maybe some of the new fans created from the buzz of being in the playoffs and Forsberg took them to a game and wowed them. Fortunately for the Preds, you guys have lots of young talent that will likely keep them at or near the top of the Central, which should lead to another high playoff berth. As long as you don't run into a team as good as us (saying that since our record looked "poor" from a lack of overtime, aka 3 pt, games), you should be able to see 2nd round playoff hockey next year, which, as long as the team stays in Nashville through next year, should be able to help build a relatively long-term fan base. Anyways, good luck, and here's to the Sharks winning in 5

Also, if I was the Preds media brass, I'd be promoting Radulov like no other, that guys insane. Crazy Remparts players
Last night's game was rough, but you're talking like the series is over...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
With that, any ideas for your next handle?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
With that, any ideas for your next handle?
Fire_Trotz ... sure he's put together some good regular season teams ... but a) he's yet to have a regular season series victory against Detroit and b) has yet to win a playoff game on the road NOR a playoff series

and with all the talent he's been handed this season (Radulov, Forsberg, Arnott & Dumont) that's inexcuseable

Old
04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by volntitan View Post
This next game may be the biggest in the franchise's history. If we go down 3-1, I don't think we come back. AND if we go one and done again, I seriously think there is a pretty good chance that the Preds are done in Nashville. I mean, if getting corporate support before was tough, it would be almost impossible after another dissappointing 1 and done. These players and especially the coaching staff have to go out and get the edge back. Last night's performance was embarrassing. They looked like they gave up after the Sharks went ahead. Who cares if Wilson thinks we were playing dirty? We were playing with a fire and edge in the first 2 games and it dissappeared last night and I blame Trotz for that. He needs to get more emotional.

With all that doom and gloom...I have to ask...

Do you write for the Tennessean?

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
marc-edouard grier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Last night's game was rough, but you're talking like the series is over...
I mean in general, since we're not talking about this series, we're talking about Nashville's long-term viability as a franchise, and if we're gonna do that, I would think its best to view things as a worst-case scenario, which would be SJ in 5. If my tone suggested that I was certain we would win, I apologize (now that I read it again, I agree, I'll edit it).

marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
RaiderDoug

I dont think the situation is as dire as some predict, but make no mistake, in today's salary cap world, teams only get a few chances to load up like we have and make a run at a cup.

Frankly, it doesnt matter who you run up against in the first round - for a team with this collection of talent to fizzle again in the first round is inexcusable and a major, major disappointment.

Nashville's hockey market might be in its infancy and unsophisicated, but we know underachievement when we see it. And with the recent ticket price increases, if i'm going to pay the prices of a team challenging for the cup, a legacy of first round upsets is not what I want to see.

I remain optimisitic - I think that up until last night, we were the better team on 5 on 5. We have the better goaltender, and certainly guys like Arnott and Kariya cant be invisible forever, right?

I could stomach losing in '04 - we were new. I could take it last year - we had lost of injuries. There's no reason to not make it out of the first round this year.

And its kind of ironic that everyone has "no excuses" in thier avatar, and then lists 3 paragraphs of excuses.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I dont think the situation is as dire as some predict, but make no mistake, in today's salary cap world, teams only get a few chances to load up like we have and make a run at a cup.

Frankly, it doesnt matter who you run up against in the first round - for a team with this collection of talent to fizzle again in the first round is inexcusable and a major, major disappointment.

Nashville's hockey market might be in its infancy and unsophisicated, but we know underachievement when we see it. And with the recent ticket price increases, if i'm going to pay the prices of a team challenging for the cup, a legacy of first round upsets is not what I want to see.

I remain optimisitic - I think that up until last night, we were the better team on 5 on 5. We have the better goaltender, and certainly guys like Arnott and Kariya cant be invisible forever, right?

I could stomach losing in '04 - we were new. I could take it last year - we had lost of injuries. There's no reason to not make it out of the first round this year.

And its kind of ironic that everyone has "no excuses" in thier avatar, and then lists 3 paragraphs of excuses.
By no means did i mean Nashville fans were unsophisticated when I said the team was in its infancy, just that it takes time to build a franchise, and of all the expansion teamsfrom the late 90s Nashville has the best organization IMO

If you could take last years early exit because of injuries, what about all the major injuries Nashville has this year?

I'll continue to remain optimistic there is just too much talent on this team to play like that again tomorrow

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
By no means did i mean Nashville fans were unsophisticated when I said the team was in its infancy, just that it takes time to build a franchise, and of all the expansion teamsfrom the late 90s Nashville has the best organization IMO

If you could take last years early exit because of injuries, what about all the major injuries Nashville has this year?

I'll continue to remain optimistic there is just too much talent on this team to play like that again tomorrow
i'm by no means making excuses.

Kariya, Arnott, Legwand, Timonen, Zidlicky, Hamhuis...these guys are all healthy, they're just not making any difference in the series. Forsberg, Dumont and Radulov...are the only ones that have shown up consistently and have had a presence in all three games(well, minus Radulov's suspension, obviously)

Vokoun has been...Vokoun of all season. Strong save after strong save...then a soft squeaker gets through at just the wrong time. Zanon and Suter have put in admirable efforts, but their inexperience has been obvious, as well.

I hope that Trotz's "We did a lot of good things" speech after the game last night was lip service for the media...and that some serious discussion was had last night\today.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
volntitan

I don't mean doom and gloom, but honestly, after last night's half hearted effort, it is time for the TEAM to step up. It seems like everything wrong with the team gets blamed on the media, corporate nashville or even the fans. While maybe there is some truth to that, we, as ticket buying fans, deserve a better effort than last night. It wasn't the loss to me as much. After we lost game 1, I wasn't as down because we gave a great effort. We should be able to play straight up with San Jose. They aren't the end all of hockey and they imposed their will on us and we just backed down. That, to me, is the unacceptable part. Nashville is a great sports town and deserve a better effort.

JMO

Old
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Boy, I really hate getting onto the MB's after a loss. All of the negativity really gets to me, but I trudge on.

Last night's effort was simply not there. We withstood the Sharks early attack and even got the 1-0 lead heading into the second period, but even in the first period we were playing undisciplined hockey and not sticking to the game plan and that undisciplined play lead to a slew of penalties in the second period that even though they weren't directly scored on (Clowe's goal was a direct result of the Sharks having established possession during their PP and of course Kariya never attempting to get back into the play coming out of the box), it gave San Jose all the momentum and really got their crowd back into the game after we did such a good job of quieting them up until then.

I really cannot find fault with the main game plan. It is quite clear how we need to play against the Sharks and it is quite clear that the Sharks know exactly where their weaknesses are as well. The difference in this game was not the game plan...it was execution, discipline, and effort.

You would have to ask a member of the crowd what occured during the TV timeout at the midpoint of the 3rd period, but I would have to assume that either the coaching staff or the leadership group (Kariya, Arnott, Forsberg, Timonen, Dumont, etc) or a combination of the two really ripped into the team for their effort because we came out of the timeout and finally put some rubber on the net and showed some life, but as soon as the 3rd goal went in...it was lights out.

As the Sharks fans and neutral observers of this series know...a 2-1 lead is definitely a step in the right direction and something to feel positive about, but...a 2-1 series lead is not going to get you to the next round. The playoffs are a long two-month grind. You cannot get too low or too high during this time because every day is a new beginning.

Sure, Wednesday night's game is going to be huge...but the pressure will be clearly on both sides of the ice. San Jose will feel a lot of pressure not to lose in front of their home crowd, give back home-ice advantage, and head back to Nashville with the series tied at 2-2. Nashville too knows that the next game in this series is critical and they would love to win in San Jose, steal back home ice advantage, and step back onto that plane knowing that the HOP will be rocking Friday night.

It is not gloom and doom time people, it remains the time to stand behind our team, support them, and hope like hell that they come out Wednesday night with a new found passion to get pucks deep, use our speed on the forecheck, and stay out of the penalty box. Defensively it would be nice too if we didn't get all three forwards caught deep. I actually thought the Predators did a good job of adjusting to that towards the end of the first and into the second period, but...in the latter stages of the second period and in the third period when we were pressing we got back to that too.

I STILL BELIEVE!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
volntitan

Please don't get me wrong...I haven't given up. Just venting mostly. BUT, to have the coaches and management of the team talk about getting more physical after we were dominated by the sharks last year and then the Sharks doing the same thing again....

As far as the game plan goes, if you you know you want to do but can't do it, try something else instead of butting your head against the wall. It's called in game adjustments Coach Trotz.

Old
04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nashville is a great sports town and deserve a better effort.JMO
The last part is the most telling part of your post.

San Jose, as part of the Bay Area has many distractions with the 49'ers, the Raiders, Warriors, A's, Giants, Sabre Cats, Stealth, and on-and-on. But San Jose has ONLY the Sharks and has supported them since day one with sell-out after sell-out. Frankly, if you lived in San Jose in the early 90's, you'd rather watch bad hockey played by passionate players, than drive over an hour to watch the Warriors play uninspired basketball, or up to Candlestick park and freeze watching the Giants get their hats handed to them by the Dodgers. San Jose is the second most populace town in California behind only LA, so there is plenty of fan base.

Nashville is a good sports and entertainment town. I don't know about "great." There are over 1.5 million people in the surrounding 10 counties to draw from, but outside the Titans and the Preds, there are no competing pro sports. One would think if you can draw from a potential base of fans that large with minimal pro sports overlap, the team should see consistent sell-outs. But in a business where there is no TV contract and "butts in the seats" are the main source of team revenue, the Preds dont sell out.

So the question still exists if there are enough fans willing to consistently support the team. And while one can blame the media for lack of coverage (I do question a sports page that lists Country Music Marathon as a sport before all others on their web page), the Sharks for almost a decade suffered from one beat writer who was a novice (as we all were back then), and a features writer covernig the team. The Sharks were relegated to second anf third page status in a very deep sports market. And yet, the Sharks sell most of their games out and have since the early days in the Cow Palace (that is really the name of the teams first rink).

I'm not trying to be a downer, but it seems to me if the team cant sell out with one of the top teams in the business, maybe it cant sell out in the Nashville market with multipe competing distractions like The Country Music Marathon.

Its a great team and I hope you get the coverage and support the team deserves before someone has to say, "I remember when the Predators played in Nashville."

Old
04-17-2007, 03:31 PM
volntitan

Nashville is a great sports town. But there is more than just the Titans and the Preds. There is college sports. And College football is as big as any pro sport, if not bigger.

BTW....the fact that the Music City Marathon is listed on the left first isn't an indication that it is considered more "important". Minor league baseball is listed before UT sports and I can promise you that Minor League Baseball doesn't get more covereage.

Last edited by volntitan: 04-17-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old
04-17-2007, 03:35 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nashville is a great sports town. But there is more than just the Titans and the Preds. There is college sports. And College football is as big as any pro sport, if not bigger.
Is that then the reason you give for the fewer sellouts? I am not being critical, but what you are saying is potential Predators fans would rather go to college football and other college sports games instead of the Predators games. Does it change the issue? The populace in Nashville is preoccupied with other sports and entertainment venues than the Predators. Again, rumps in the seats is what creates the majority of the revenue for hockey franchises without a real TV cvontract. Preds have to improve their fan base (and that is absolutely with no disrespect intended to anyone on the boards here. You are all clearly passionate and loyal hockey fans.)

Old
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Is that then the reason you give for the fewer sellouts? I am not being critical, but what you are saying is potential Predators fans would rather go to college football and other college sports games instead of the Predators games. Does it change the issue? The populace in Nashville is preoccupied with other sports and entertainment venues than the Predators. Again, rumps in the seats is what creates the majority of the revenue for hockey franchises without a real TV cvontract. Preds have to improve their fan base (and that is absolutely with no disrespect intended to anyone on the boards here. You are all clearly passionate and loyal hockey fans.)
San Jose has room to speak ... preempting a Hockey Series with a Ricky F***ing Martin concert