HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Top 20 prospects

Old
04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
droller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Jim, you make good points, but why the hell are you being critical of this article? Platt was not drafted. That means that hundreds of players were chosen over him.

Talk to the 30 GMs about all of these things that Platt did, and argue with them as to why Platt wasn't promoted more.

At this point in Platt's career, why would it be relevant for Chris to even mention Platt's involvement with the U-18 team?

You had better back up your Picard statement. I know he was injured, but you are saying he's out for a year or more. Back it up.
Do you know why Platt had hundreds of players drafted ahead of him? With you saying that, I'm guessing you have absolutely no clue. The kid has put up points at every friggen level he has played. He wasn't taken in the entry draft because of his size. If he had been drafted AFTER the new NHL rules, I'm 99.9% sure he would have been taken.

I'm not a big Jackets fan, rarely get to watch them but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the reason Platt wasn't promoted more was because of the logjam at center ice. When he was given his chance, he did well... Just as he has done everywhere he has played.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
Do you know why Platt had hundreds of players drafted ahead of him? With you saying that, I'm guessing you have absolutely no clue. The kid has put up points at every friggen level he has played. He wasn't taken in the entry draft because of his size. If he had been drafted AFTER the new NHL rules, I'm 99.9% sure he would have been taken.

I'm not a big Jackets fan, rarely get to watch them but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the reason Platt wasn't promoted more was because of the logjam at center ice. When he was given his chance, he did well... Just as he has done everywhere he has played.

Haha thanks for the chuckle big guy.

I'm still debating whether or not to waste my time replying to this, I'll let you know later.

If you're not a Jacket fan then take a hike, and believe me, i have a clue.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Chris Leary

Just wanted to post a quick thank-you to everyone who took the time to read the article, particularly to those who felt the need to comment, both positively and negatively. Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

A few notes on some of the issues raised in this thread:

- The USHL/ECHL confusion was definitely an overlook on my part, and I did not catch it before I sent the article in for final edit. I wrote down the wrong league entirely be accident, and completely overlooked catching it prior to sending it along. I made the same error with Moncton, even though I've written about that particular team over a dozen times in the past year-and-a-half and have been a big fan of Ted Nolan for years. I apologize for any confusion caused by the errors.

- Geoff Platt's size. I agree that he is probably playing closer to the 175-179 lb. range as a professional, but the hockey database we use (hockeydb.com) has him still listed at 171 lbs (see the link provided in this thread above regarding his ECHL career). Checking around a few websites, I've seen Platt listed at several different weights in the 170's, and I guess I could have taken the average and put him at 175. Again, apologies for any confusion caused.

- Geoff Platt's career. Let me preface this by stating that I like Geoff Platt, and would be personally ecstatic to see him succeed at the NHL level. That said, the fact remains that he went undrafted as an amateur. I completely agree that the issue probably came down to his size, but that is absolute speculation on my part. Granted, he did score aplenty in the OHL, and has continued that pace in the AHL. Again, though, the totals he posted as a junior did not impress any NHL front offices enough to select him in the draft.

I'm not sure I see an issue with pointing out that an undrafted player represents an "unheralded" player. If anything, I was trying to emphasize the point that Platt has already succeeded well beyond the value placed on him as a graduating amateur two summers ago.

- Alex Picard's injury. Unfortunately, Picard's injury occurred AFTER the top 20 article was already finished and submitted to the website. As I've been out in the field this past week with my full-time career, I did not even learn of the injury until reading about it here Sunday morning. Even with the current situation being what it is, I personally think it's still a little too early to give up on Picard just yet.

Again, just wanted to drop a note of appreciation to all, especially those of you who regularly make the rounds on the CBJ boards. I often find myself reading what you all are saying about prospects you have kept an eye on, and enjoy taking in the active debate fostered by this board.

Please feel at liberty to drop me a line with any questions/comments/criticisms/ gripes.

Thanks!!
Chris

Chris Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Byrral

The criticism of Chris Leary's article here on the CBJ prospects is laughable. The piece was a very enjoyable read. When compared with our local beat writers, the content and insight in this article far outweighs the minor flaws that were presented. Nice job, look forward to the next one.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
falcor

Quote:
and Kyle Wharton, if he comes back over from Germany.
any word on him? does he want to come back?

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
DougKnowsBest

lets call platts weight 173 1/2 lbs. just to be fair

outstanding job

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
any word on him? does he want to come back?
No idea Falc. After Russell he's got the highest potential for blueline offemse amongst pospect IMO.

Old
04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
JrussJacket

Quote:
No idea Falc. After Russell he's got the highest potential for blueline offemse amongst pospect IMO.
I wonder why the cbj let him go to europe then? Was it the fact that he couldnt even crack the Bombers line up or was it the team from europe was scouting him heavily? I would think that it would be easier to see him progress here in NA as oppose to europe.

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
I wonder why the cbj let him go to europe then? Was it the fact that he couldnt even crack the Bombers line up or was it the team from europe was scouting him heavily? I would think that it would be easier to see him progress here in NA as oppose to europe.
Apparently he wasn't ready for full time AHL duty, and the Bombers were "full" on D. The team then made an arrangement with the DEL team to loan them Wharton for the season.

The way I see it is that if you are an ECHL team who is affiliated with an NHL squad, you can make room for one of their prospects.

I'd still like to hear the whole story behind it though.

Old
04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Skraut

While we're thinking "across the pond" any word on Moyzakin? I know it's probably but isn't the upcoming season the last he's a CBJ property?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
While we're thinking "across the pond" any word on Moyzakin? I know it's probably but isn't the upcoming season the last he's a CBJ property?
I thought that ship had sailed. He's 26 now.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Matt Foley*

Mozyakin is still listed on the CBJ website as "In The System". That said, the CBJ's rights to him are likely about to expire. To me, he's been a non-entity since after the lockout, which would have been an ideal time for him to test the NA game. However, he's shown absolutely no interest in coming over here.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
One small note. Andrew Penner is no longer in the system.

Otherwise, great article.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
CBJFan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Mozyakin is still listed on the CBJ website as "In The System". That said, the CBJ's rights to him are likely about to expire. To me, he's been a non-entity since after the lockout, which would have been an ideal time for him to test the NA game. However, he's shown absolutely no interest in coming over here.

its not about testing the NA game, as I understand it the money he makes over there makes coming here worthless to him. Thats the big issue they need to address in the CBA. Overage Euros who are stars in their leagues may never come here now.

CBJFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
He's playing for Russia in the upcoming WC's..... and Zherdev isn't

I think it's just a case of him not wanting to leave home, which I can totally respect. We tend to think in "North Americo-centric" (okay thats not a word but..) terms. Not every kid in the world grows up dreaming of playing in the NHL one day. Hell, I bet if you ask most Europeans on our roster, they'd tell you their big goal as kids was to play for their national team and that's it.

Personally, I'd rather have one of our "prospects" stay at home-- even if they are as good as Mozyakin-- if all they would do over here is just collect a paycheck. For the record, as far as I know, Mozyakin did come over here at one point (QMJHL i think) but went home after a handful of games.

For the record (again), he had a great year in Russia this year. I think he had something like 60 points in 50 games, which in the RSL is pretty crazy. Keep in mind they don't award "Second" assists... so project that to NHL numbers and schedule and he's almost a 100 point guy.

I doubt we'll ever see him at Nationwide (or anywhere else), so, best of luck to him, I suppose.

EDIT: and CBJfan makes a good point as well. Guys who are tearing up the European leagues (well, the RSL at least) make a lot more dough than they would as rookies in the NHL. Combine that with my point, and well yeah... we'll never see him

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
One small note. Andrew Penner is no longer in the system.

Otherwise, great article.
Neither are Kracik or Redlihs.

Redlihs is playing in Syracuse, but he's on an AHL/ECHL contract, nothing to do with Columbus.