HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Found this article from 2005

Old
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
mook6873

vCash: 500
Found this article from 2005

I was looking up articles about doug mcclean and found this old one. the comments at the bottom are interesting to read about certain players

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2005/07/p...e-jackets.html

Last edited by mook6873: 04-13-2007 at 07:04 PM.
mook6873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Man Mook...

looks like were only finding out now that the leagues not laughing with us their laughing at us. MacLean lookining in the mirror.. argh...

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew Smoke View Post
looks like were only finding out now that the leagues not laughing with us their laughing at us. MacLean lookining in the mirror.. argh...
People around the league will like us even less when we start winning. As far as that's concerned, it's going to get much worse before we begin to earn much respect. If there's one thing I've learned about the NHL, it's that respect isn't easy to come by(deserved or not).

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
puckgoalnet

I really don't take too much stock in that article. Everyone pretty much figured the first three years to be the roughest. You would expect the team to struggle, and I expected attendance to drop once the 'newness' wore off.

Another article I remember reading and disregarding early on (like after our first ever game against Detroit) was by none other than Mitch Albom.

If you remember that was the game where everyone through bottles on the ice. Mitch used that event to write an entire article on "Why there should not be hockey in Columbus".

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:30 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet View Post
I really don't take too much stock in that article. Everyone pretty much figured the first three years to be the roughest. You would expect the team to struggle, and I expected attendance to drop once the 'newness' wore off.

Another article I remember reading and disregarding early on (like after our first ever game against Detroit) was by none other than Mitch Albom.

If you remember that was the game where everyone through bottles on the ice. Mitch used that event to write an entire article on "Why there should not be hockey in Columbus".
i think the article is interesting because after 2 years it is still the same. i dont put much stock in peoples opinions but when after that much time the same thing is going on then i have to assume the reason isnt someone just jumping on failure but failure itself.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Good reference Mook....regardless of what people may say that article could have been written today and few would know the difference if dates where left out. Hell, I remember listening to sport guys on national radio networks back in 2003 ripping Maclean for the way he was building the team..........

Where we are compared to were the Mild are is truely a shame......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:45 AM
puckgoalnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook6873 View Post
i think the article is interesting because after 2 years it is still the same.
Good point

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
blahblah

Not sure I get the point of the post. It's a blogish article that spouts of the fact that Columbus hasn't made the playoffs and has decent attendence. If that's what you were trying to prove, pretty much every article ever written about us says that.

To top it off the "article" was lazily done with the only facts based on attendence. He didn't even provide a source for our "reputation" in the league. As we have never finished about 74 or 75 points in a year, of course we are going to be made fun of by the rest of the leagues fans.

If you trying to point out the fact that this is DM's fault. Well, he has no one else to blame, he's brought in the coaches and players. However, I never thought we would have as bad of a start or have as much problems scoring as we did.

Basically, all this really did was state the obvious, and repeat what has been in 30 other threads in the last month or two.

Until we make the playoffs, or DM gets fired, pretty much every article and discussion is going to look about the same.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
James Mirtle

Sigh... I don't know if it's worth the time to defend that post or not, but here goes. First of all, it was written two years ago, and is in response to Doug MacLean's comment that his market doesn't get much respect around the league as a well-attended franchise.

My main point said solely that attendance isn't as good as it used to be in Columbus, something that's a direct result of the absolutely awful product MacLean's put out on the ice.

I don't have to provide a source for the team's reputation: MacLean himself is the one saying the one his team has is undeserved.

I'd be shocked if he's not fired during the off-season — but then again, it's surprising he's still around after all of this time.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Skraut

James,

Thanks for your comments here, and your great blog. You've had a lot of articles over the years which have been critical of the CBJ, and history has shown that they were correct. We've been lucky in Columbus to have access to our GM through his weekly radio show, but in reality all that meant we got a weekly dose of his Kool-aid. Your articles were like a slap in the face, but one that was needed if we ever hope to rise out of mediocraty.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
cbjfan97

quote from the article:
Quote:
Considering the team’s awful draft history (Rick Nash notwithstanding)
i know it's biased, and i will fight for him til the end...but what about #97???? the words "awful" and "klesla" have NEVER been used in a sentence. NEVER. (if it has, please, someone prove me wrong. haha...and dont make up your own sentence with it either!!! )

and i would agree with others that this article does nothing for me.
other than make me upset about this guy not knowing our draft history well.

cbjfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
James Mirtle

Klesla finally had a very nice season this year — and he finished fairly high on my list of the top defensive defencemen.

I know the Blue Jackets' draft history exceptionally well, and I used to scout the Canadian junior leagues prior to 2003. They have not picked well given how high they've drafted; otherwise, the team would be significantly better than it was this season.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not sure I get the point of the post. It's a blogish article that spouts of the fact that Columbus hasn't made the playoffs and has decent attendence. If that's what you were trying to prove, pretty much every article ever written about us says that.

To top it off the "article" was lazily done with the only facts based on attendence. He didn't even provide a source for our "reputation" in the league. As we have never finished about 74 or 75 points in a year, of course we are going to be made fun of by the rest of the leagues fans.

If you trying to point out the fact that this is DM's fault. Well, he has no one else to blame, he's brought in the coaches and players. However, I never thought we would have as bad of a start or have as much problems scoring as we did.

Basically, all this really did was state the obvious, and repeat what has been in 30 other threads in the last month or two.

Until we make the playoffs, or DM gets fired, pretty much every article and discussion is going to look about the same.
the only point i was trying to make by posting this is that after 2 years it is the same thing. of course i know it is dms fault, who doesnt(or at least who doesnt know he is being blamed). and yes it did reapeat what has been stated in numerous psots over the last 2 months but this article was from 2005.

Old
04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
Klesla finally had a very nice season this year — and he finished fairly high on my list of the top defensive defencemen.

I know the Blue Jackets' draft history exceptionally well, and I used to scout the Canadian junior leagues prior to 2003. They have not picked well given how high they've drafted; otherwise, the team would be significantly better than it was this season.
oh yeah...james...i have read a lot of your stuff lately and i like it. well done.

Old
04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
X0ssbar

It could also be strongly argued that the CBJ have not had the proper coaching to get the most out of its team and subsequent draft picks.

Combine that with the fact that some of our prospects have been rushed and you get what we've got.

I think its pretty tuff to look through our first round history and say 'x' player was taken to highly when in fact the players we have taken, outside of maybe Picard, either slipped to us or went exactly where the experts thought they'd go.

Our later round picks though the first couple of years were pretty piss poor but as we've all noticed - over the past few drafts we are starting to see some later round picks panning out.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
It could also be strongly argued that the CBJ have not had the proper coaching to get the most out of its team and subsequent draft picks.

Combine that with the fact that some of our prospects have been rushed and you get what we've got.

I think its pretty tuff to look through our first round history and say 'x' player was taken to highly when in fact the players we have taken, outside of maybe Picard, either slipped to us or went exactly where the experts thought they'd go.

Our later round picks though the first couple of years were pretty piss poor but as we've all noticed - over the past few drafts we are starting to see some later round picks panning out.
i obviously havent delved deeply into the the bjs draft history but when the draft has come around i have looked into who they have picked and it always seemed to me that doug picked the guy who did fall to him or the flashy name. anybody have any ideas why our picks have seemed to struggle while other teams picks have done well?

Old
04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook6873 View Post
anybody have any ideas why our picks have seemed to struggle while other teams picks have done well?
It could be because they came into an environment where loosing was acceptable, and did their best to "fit right in" The weren't held accountable, and with the exception of a few nights where Zherdev played one shift on the 4th line before moving to the 2nd, GG never showed he was holding the players accountable for anything.

This seems to be changing, but accountability also needs to start at the top.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Agreed, like it or not everything points back to the top.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:04 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
It could be because they came into an environment where loosing was acceptable, and did their best to "fit right in" The weren't held accountable, and with the exception of a few nights where Zherdev played one shift on the 4th line before moving to the 2nd, GG never showed he was holding the players accountable for anything.

maybe im not looking at this the right way but i have yet to see anybody really be held accountable. maybe hitch is waiting for the offseason to rip some players in private but no major changes were made and no players were shown the door other than zherdev during a practice or two. am i not seeing it right?