HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Minute Misconducts: Excuse Me?

Old
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
10 Minute Misconducts: Excuse Me?

I didn't know referees were allowed to make up rules during the game. But what those EDITED FOR BIGE - REMOVED MAJOR TYPO clowns pulled tonight was disgracful. 10 minute misconducts everytime guys looked at eachother. 10 minutes for Orr and the other guy for just talking. 10 minutes for Kovalchuk and Avery for getting into a normal fight? What the hell was going on last night?

Last edited by Balej20*: 04-18-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Pleasing BigE.
Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Gonna have to agree with you Balej. The refs began to lose control, and responded by stupidly doling out seemingly arbitrary misconducts. I hope this crew is done for the rest of the series....

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Onion Boy

I didn't have a problem with it. The game was basically over at that point. No need to encourage the rough stuff. The last thing I want to see is someone get injured.

I think the conducts were a result of the players blatantly disregarding multiple warnings by the referees.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:50 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I didn't know referees were allowed to make up rules during the game. But what those to clowns pulled tonight was disgracful. 10 minute misconducts everytime guys looked at eachother. 10 minutes for Orr and the other guy for just talking. 10 minutes for Kovalchuk and Avery for getting into a normal fight? What the hell was going on last night?
EXACTLY!!!

thank god someone else can actually see what i see..

you dont just toss around 10-minute misconducts, even if you want to "keep the violence, etc in check".. there was no reason for them..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

It was their fault to begin with. High hits, slashes to the back of the leg, Tkachuck crosschecking Girardi. Kozlov with two elbows. All these things started to add up with little calls on them and they lost control of the game.

If they had made those calls earlier they wouldnt have gotten around to giving out all those misconducts. Yeah very stupid. Not only were they not warranted they also rested about 8 players with all those misconducts in the third period and made them fresher for the next game tomorrow.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
I didn't have a problem with it. The game was basically over at that point. No need to encourage the rough stuff. The last thing I want to see is someone get injured.

I think the conducts were a result of the players blatantly disregarding multiple warnings by the referees.

True enough, but I'm pretty sure the rulebook has guidelines for handing out a 10 min misconduct. Not just "oh ATL is ******** so we'll give both teams' players 10 min to avoid stuff"

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't understand how Mara gets a 10 minute for breaking up the fight.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Screaming Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post

Yeah, that was annoying.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
The Big Apple

Im just glade no one got hurt, so im fine with the misconducts.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Mara was the third man in on the fight, you could argue that he should have been assesed an additional penalty AND ejected.

I don't know the rulebook verbatim, but in the case of Orr and the other guy at the end of the 2nd, you could clearly see the officials warning the players before the faceoff with less than a second to go. I'm fairly certain officials have flexiblity to make the 10-min call for a multitide of reasons...

Yes, all of this could have been avoided had the series been properly called from the get go, but they did a good job in keeping it under control tonight, IMO.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

They are allowed to give 10 min misconducts out for "unsportsmanlike". So all these were legit...it was just their way of trying to defuse the situation that could have blown up.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Physical team + blowout + frustration + anger + Bob Hartley....

I'm glad they kept it under wraps. Last thing we need is someone getting injured on a cheap play in a throwaway game.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
They are allowed to give 10 min misconducts out for "unsportsmanlike". So all these were legit...it was just their way of trying to defuse the situation that could have blown up.
It could have turned potentially dangerous for the Rangers though. They kicked Orr out for 10 minutes, leaving the Rangers with no enforcer to "protect" the team.

I've never seen a 10 minute penalty handed out for talking. Or 10 minutes for fighting. Never seen it.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
True enough, but I'm pretty sure the rulebook has guidelines for handing out a 10 min misconduct. Not just "oh ATL is ******** so we'll give both teams' players 10 min to avoid stuff"
Right, I don't think you can do that. They should be disciplined after this game.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:51 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Physical team + blowout + frustration + anger + Bob Hartley....

I'm glad they kept it under wraps. Last thing we need is someone getting injured on a cheap play in a throwaway game.
Bingo. The Rangers were winning by so much at that point where they just wanted to nullify any "rough stuff"

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:54 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
The prevailing opinion in my section and the section in front was that the game was pretty well officiated. A lot of what we saw was to keep things from getting really ugly at the end.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:54 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I didn't know referees were allowed to make up rules during the game. But what those to clowns pulled tonight was disgracful. 10 minute misconducts everytime guys looked at eachother. 10 minutes for Orr and the other guy for just talking. 10 minutes for Kovalchuk and Avery for getting into a normal fight? What the hell was going on last night?
Ten minute misconducts are a game management tool to be used at the discretion of the referees on the ice.

It's a blow out game in the middle of a playoff series that could quickly spiral out of control. What do you really expect?

Isn't it enough to just be happy with tonight's game? Why is there always something to complain about with you?

If anything is disgraceful it's your grammar.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
StartLundqvist

I thought they were a little wild with the 10 minute misconducts, but all they were doing was making sure a blowout playoff win didn't get out of hand. Can't fault them for that.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Ten minute misconducts are a game management tool to be used at the discretion of the referees on the ice.

It's a blow out game in the middle of a playoff series that could quickly spiral out of control. What do you really expect?

Isn't it enough to just be happy with tonight's game? Why is there always something to complain about with you?

If anything is disgraceful it's your grammar.
Ok, I'll take the high road here and not respond to your personal attacks against me.

My problem with the 10 minute misconducts was the fact that Orr got one for talking at the end of the 2nd. Orr is the only tough guy the Rangers have in the lineup, and I knew Atlanta would be taking runs at the Rangers the entire thrid. So I thought to take Orr out of the Rangers lineup presented them with a very dangerous situation.

Old
04-18-2007, 12:30 AM
kasparaitis666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
The prevailing opinion in my section and the section in front was that the game was pretty well officiated. A lot of what we saw was to keep things from getting really ugly at the end.
I agree, there was no need for the reffs to let the game get out of hand just because atlanta was fustrated.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:56 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Wouldn't Mara get one because he technically is the '3rd man in'?

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Wouldn't Mara get one because he technically is the '3rd man in'?
He probably should have been tossed. i actually didn't have a problem with Mara getting a 10 there. He was the third man in, which means game misconduct.

The one that really bothered me was Orr, and to a lesser extent, Avery's.

Old
04-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Agreed, 10 minute misconducts are usually handed out for penalties that are not so obvious. They are penalties that are meant to penalize the player but not the team. So honestly, unless you were on the ice and could hear everything that was said, I'm not sure how you can argue a 10.

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Agreed, 10 minute misconducts are usually handed out for penalties that are not so obvious. They are penalties that are meant to penalize the player but not the team. So honestly, unless you were on the ice and could hear everything that was said, I'm not sure how you can argue a 10.
My arguement for the Orr 10 minute still stands. But I'm starting to agree with you guys about the other ones. You all make good points.

Old
04-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I do agree that removing Orr from the game for 10 minutes could have lead to a dangerous situation. The problem being that the ref would have had to think ahead about a possible situation developing. From what I've seen I don't think a NHL ref is capable of this

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote