HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

National Anthem - Amarante vs. Rodriguez

Old
04-18-2007, 12:19 AM
frozenrubber

vCash: 500
National Anthem - Amarante vs. Rodriguez

While some of my best memories of the Rangers are directly linked to the sound of John Amirante's voice, Daniel Rodriguez tonight was nothing short of fantastic.

While I can never thank John Amirante enough for his tenure, I hope tonight was his unofficial end as the official singer for MSG.

I will not go into great detail of how he's slipped over the last few years, but his toupee has become more emblematic than his voice.

In an electric showing by Rodriguez, this shows how a distinctive and excellent voice can only add to the luster of what is already the World's Most Famous Arena.

I know Rodriguez will not replace John as he already has a burgeoning career. But I look forward to new face, for a great new generation at MSG...

Last edited by frozenrubber: 04-18-2007 at 01:16 AM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:23 AM
blue425

I cannot cannot cannot stand Daniel Rodriguez. I don't care how good his voice is, he comes off as being extremely full of himself.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I cannot cannot cannot stand Daniel Rodriguez. I don't care how good his voice is, he comes off as being extremely full of himself.
i disagree. i thought he was very good. obviously his voice and singing tops amirante, but i know what frozen rubber is referring to: a new face. What I love about Amirante is when he sings the anthem, he pumps up the crowd with his hands (which is cools, shows that he's a fan)... but that comes from experience.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:11 AM
The Thomas J.*

I did Not relaize there was a changin of the guard, I was surprised to that Amarante was not doing the Anhem, The few games I went to this year I'm pretty sure he did most ofthem, I met him during one of the games actually, nice guy always smiling.
All I know is this if there are any game 7's Amarante better be the guy singing b4 the puck drops!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
rickyrod

Amarante and his horribly awesome rug should hold the post until he physically can't walk out there anymore.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:26 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Whoever they get should be able to do O Canada in English and French. I went to a game against the Canadiens for a game with some people from Montreal where they had a guest singer do that, and my guests thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. "Classiest team in hockey" and "best team in the United States," they said of the Rangers.

Plus, show the lyrics on the scoreboard or something, so people can sing along.

Old
04-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Whoever they get should be able to do O Canada in English and French. I went to a game against the Canadiens for a game with some people from Montreal where they had a guest singer do that, and my guests thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. "Classiest team in hockey" and "best team in the United States," they said of the Rangers.

Plus, show the lyrics on the scoreboard or something, so people can sing along.
Why would they sing the Canadian anthem in French while in NYC. That's just silly.

I can see the argument for singing the Cannuckian anthem in general, but in French? Silly.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Garv23

Amaranti just can't hit those high notes anymore. I'm afraid that during the next "for the laaaaand of the FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" his adam's apple may shoot out across the ice.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:01 AM
BroadwayBlair

Amarante hands down, nobody gets the garden going like him

BroadwayBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Fletch

Nothing against Rodriguez...

but I was hoping Amirante would've been signing last night. He has a way of getting the crowd into it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:12 AM
lundy

John Amarante is classic...an epic man if I may. I'm going tonight,and I'd rather see him sing the national anthem at this game than anyone else.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Amirante. No surprise there.

04-18-2007, 08:33 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why would they sing the Canadian anthem in French while in NYC. That's just silly.

I can see the argument for singing the Cannuckian anthem in general, but in French? Silly.
Just for games against Montreal and Ottawa, I guess. It's all the same to me, honestly. Just don't screw it up.

Old
04-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Osminator

out of respect for all the canadian players, i would sing both the US and Canadian (english only) anthems at all games. full stop.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
out of respect for all the canadian players, i would sing both the US and Canadian (english only) anthems at all games. full stop.
Ehh, too complicated. We'll be there all night singing all the anthems of players on the teams. Sweden, Russia, Austria, Czech Rep., Slovakia, etc. Plus, think of all the years they sang the US national anthem when there were few or no Americans on the teams.

The only place I can remember seeing a game with the Canadian anthem sung without a Canadian team playing was in Buffalo. Maybe they do it in Detroit, too.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
clmetsfan

I know this is borderline sacrilige for a Rangers fan, but I think Amirante sucks beyond belief, always has. I realize that I'm a musical snob after growing up with my mom, who's a professional singer, but Amirante's voice, pitch, and phrasing for the anthem have always bugged the hell out of me. The best part about him is that the crowd drowns him out.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I know this is borderline sacrilige for a Rangers fan, but I think Amirante sucks beyond belief, always has. I realize that I'm a musical snob after growing up with my mom, who's a professional singer, but Amirante's voice, pitch, and phrasing for the anthem have always bugged the hell out of me. The best part about him is that the crowd drowns him out.
I'm a classically trained singer myself, and I have to agree with you. Especially lately. Nothing against the guy personally - he seems really nice and he's been singing the anthem forever, but even when my 6-year-old sees Amirante standing behind the glass before the start of the game, she says, "Oh, no. That guy can't sing."

I think it's time for someone new.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
BwayBshirt

just like the yankees do with bob sheppard, the rangers should at least have a stand-by for amirante. let amirante do the most important games (i.e. really crucial playoff games) but let someone else handle the bulk of the duties.

i'm sure it would be hard for you guys who've seen the rangers much longer than myself to see him go. but the torch has to be passed sometime.

living in new england for 2 years now i've seen rene rancourt for the bruins and let me tell you, he's in the same boat as amirante. it's painful to watch and it's time to move on.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
I'm a classically trained singer myself, and I have to agree with you. Especially lately. Nothing against the guy personally - he seems really nice and he's been singing the anthem forever, but even when my 6-year-old sees Amirante standing behind the glass before the start of the game, she says, "Oh, no. That guy can't sing."

I think it's time for someone new.
I hear ya Dipsy, Amirante isn't the greatest vocalist out there, but come on, the guy can sing. Singing is one of those odd things that people seemingly either "are awesome" at or "suck terribly."

If I ask someone if they are good at hockey, some 30-year-old in an adult men's league will answer "yes." I ask him if he's good at singing, he'll laugh and say "hell no." It's as if to be considered a good singer you have to be better than 99.9% of people out there, whereas to consider yourself good at other things the bar is much lower. I never understood that.

Point is, Amirante is great, though not as good as some others .

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I guess whether or not Amirante is a great singer never mattered to he. He's part of tradition and I love his energy. Of course he can't sign like Rodriguez — but few can.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
i agree on Amirante. the way this rodriguez guy sang the anthem last night... it just wasnt right... plain and simple: i didnt like it.

the only thing i dislike more than amriante and rodriguez singing the anthems is when they get 5 castrated servicemen giving a gospel impression of the us anthem...

best us anthem i've ever heard was this afican-american recording artist (dont know his though ...) who did it for the wolfpack in hartford the first couple of years... even though i am not american, this guy gave me goose bumps... just his voice and pitch... just wow... none of that fake extending letters or end of sentences... just... wow

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Jackson Ranger

Does it matter who sings if after the first couple of words, you can't hear him anyway because the crowd is TOO LOUD?!!!

I remember in 1994, this was the case from the first Fishtick game all the way to game 7 against Vancouver.

I still get goose bumps thinking about it. That was a special year and this one is turning out that way.

Jackson Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I hear ya Dipsy, Amirante isn't the greatest vocalist out there, but come on, the guy can sing. Singing is one of those odd things that people seemingly either "are awesome" at or "suck terribly."

If I ask someone if they are good at hockey, some 30-year-old in an adult men's league will answer "yes." I ask him if he's good at singing, he'll laugh and say "hell no." It's as if to be considered a good singer you have to be better than 99.9% of people out there, whereas to consider yourself good at other things the bar is much lower. I never understood that.

Point is, Amirante is great, though not as good as some others .
Sure, I'll give you that. Amirante is okay. If it's all about pumping up the crowd, he's the guy. It's all in the perception, though. My kid is being raised listening to the three tenors and Andrea Bocelli. Comparing Amirante to them is like comparing a Shetland Pony to a pack of thoroughbreds. Vocally speaking, Amirante has flaws. And he's just not holding up like he used to.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
broadwayblue

Yeah, Amirante might not be able to sing very well...but he pumps the crowd up and the place is electric. Last night you could actually hear the words to nearly the whole anthem, and that's kind of disappointing.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
DutchShamrock

Rodriguez did a great job. For all the talk of tradition and connections to MSG, don't forget that Rodriguez is a former NYPD officer. Got to love it any time an NYPD or FDNY member sings.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote