HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Minute Misconducts: Excuse Me?

Old
04-18-2007, 02:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
isnt there a rule (maybe its the 3am lack of sleep talking) where once you get X amt of misconducts in the post season you are automatically suspended a game.

i could be wrong though, im so freakin tired.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
I do agree that removing Orr from the game for 10 minutes could have lead to a dangerous situation. The problem being that the ref would have had to think ahead about a possible situation developing. From what I've seen I don't think a NHL ref is capable of this
not really though, because Boulton was also given one.

who else on that team can fight? Avery can handle the rest of those jabronis.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:57 AM
NY Ranger86

oh you can do it. its a 100% legit call, however, not seen much in the NHL. collegiate level, they hand out 10 minute misconducts for anything revolving a fight or unsportsmanlike conduct.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
isnt there a rule (maybe its the 3am lack of sleep talking) where once you get X amt of misconducts in the post season you are automatically suspended a game.

i could be wrong though, im so freakin tired.
I do remember something like that...If that's the case, then I am even more pissed about these misconducts that were liberally handed out tonight.

Anyone know the rule on this for sure?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:15 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I do remember something like that...If that's the case, then I am even more pissed about these misconducts that were liberally handed out tonight.

Anyone know the rule on this for sure?
I think it's two...because I think that Nashville fans were concerned about Hartnell being suspended for a game. But I'm not really sure. Check the San Jose-Nashville thread in the Playoffs Board, you should find an answer there.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 05:03 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
I didn't know referees were allowed to make up rules during the game. But what those EDITED FOR BIGE - REMOVED MAJOR TYPO clowns pulled tonight was disgracful. 10 minute misconducts everytime guys looked at eachother. 10 minutes for Orr and the other guy for just talking. 10 minutes for Kovalchuk and Avery for getting into a normal fight? What the hell was going on last night?

at least avery got some extra rest to pound kovalchuk's head in tomorrow night.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The NHL doesn't need any more bad press if another incident occurred in the one sided game.The refs made the right calls

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
bcrt2000

I'm happy they did that because who knows what the Thrashers would have done if it turned into a goon fest. I'm still afraid they'll try to take out a few of our stars in Game 4.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
chosen

Refs handled the situation perfectly when they started tossing in order to make sure nothing stupid happened.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Fletch

I had thought..

the refs took control of the game and ensured nobody was going to get hurt towards the end of what was game that was already decided. Thought they did a great job getting Boulton out in a hurry too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Garv23

I agree. But I also thought they let Atlanta get away with a lot of cheapshots earlier in the game. Oh well. That interference call on Shanny killed me. ESPECIALLY being that the ref that called it was away from the play.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I thought the refs did a good job.

04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I thought the refs did a good job.
We've gotten lucky this series with the officials, definitely. Can't say the same about some other teams. *cough* Islanders *cough* *cough*.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
We've gotten lucky this series with the officials, definitely. Can't say the same about some other teams. *cough* Islanders *cough* *cough*.
I'm talking more about the refs ability to realize that the game could have gotten out of hand and doing what they could to ensure that didn't happen.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Isles won't be winning anymore if they have to keep killing those 5-on-3s....

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Badko

Quote:
The prevailing opinion in my section and the section in front was that the game was pretty well officiated. A lot of what we saw was to keep things from getting really ugly at the end.
I agree wholeheartedly. That game had all the potential for getting extremely ugly. By the third period, the only thing the Thrashers could do to stay in the series was hurt some of our players.

And how about Avery...with all the talk about Atlanta's plans to not let him get under their skin, it seems they just can't help but focus on him. He's just plain awesome for our team.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
RFAN

After sleeping on it, the reffs did the right thing. It's better to get the guys out and take control than let it get out of control.

Funny from DailyNews;

Somebody asked Avery if he was happy to take that trade-off.

"Not really, not right now, would you?" he said. "I'd rather have me on the ice than him."

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
clmetsfan

I agree that the refs did good job to keep things under control. Things like the Mara call bothered me at first since he was just trying to break up the fight, but the 3rd man in rule is pretty explicit so there's not much they could have done about that.

The Rangers better be careful tonight though if the game is in hand in the final minutes, because the Thrashers will have nothing to lose and will likely take a great deal of satisfaction from getting a few players suspended for a game in round 2.

On a side note, will Joe Miccheletti PLEASE shut the hell up about the Thrashers showing that they won't go down without a fight. He said it over and over at the end of Game 2 and look how well that worked. Kovulchuk going ape on Avery was not a "We're still here" statement, it was a "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" statement.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I think it's two...because I think that Nashville fans were concerned about Hartnell being suspended for a game. But I'm not really sure. Check the San Jose-Nashville thread in the Playoffs Board, you should find an answer there.
Different circumstances. These were 10 minute misconducts which due to the time left in the game meant they were done for the rest of the game. The rule you mentioned above is in regards to Game misconducts. Accumulate to many of those and you are automatically suspended.

So fear not.

Limey FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey FK View Post
Different circumstances. These were 10 minute misconducts which due to the time left in the game meant they were done for the rest of the game. The rule you mentioned above is in regards to Game misconducts. Accumulate to many of those and you are automatically suspended.

So fear not.
Thanks for clearing that up Limey.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
My argument for the Orr 10 minute still stands. But I'm starting to agree with you guys about the other ones. You all make good points.
I think the Orr call was because the period was over, or had just a couple ticks on the clock, and there is a rule about conduct after game time is over. The players are supposed to leave the ice immediately, and the refs have discretion on what to do in those situations.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Stoney La Rock

I'd pay money to know what Avery said to Kovulchuk to tick him off so bad. Micheletti said, "Avery has definitely gotten into Kovulchuk's head." Ya think, Joe?

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
I'd pay money to know what Avery said to Kovulchuk to tick him off so bad. Micheletti said, "Avery has definitely gotten into Kovulchuk's head." Ya think, Joe?
As I understand it, it's never one thing that Avery says- the guy is just relentless. I'm sure the list of things Avery has said to Kovy is pages long . Agreed though, I'd love to see it.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
They are allowed to give 10 min misconducts out for "unsportsmanlike". So all these were legit...it was just their way of trying to defuse the situation that could have blown up.
and the situation didn't get out of hand...The Refs kept things in control..

The 10 min misconducts were the right calls...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Oh the reason Mara didn't get tossed was, Kovalchuk never dropped the gloves so it isn't a third man in, Kovalchuk was just pummeling Avery with gloved hands those things tear up your face when punches are thrown, Avery was in danger they can't give Mara a 3rd man in for an unfair fight.

The refs were good, they stopped a full out brawl from happening and made sure no skill players got hurt in a game that was way out of hand.

The only problem I have is rampid Avery bias on the refs, It seems everytime Avery gets on someone's nerves and they do something to him, ie cross check or roughing him up, the refs call an offsetting on Avery just cause they figure it was his fault in the first place...

But man... could you imagine a tougher player to referee than Avery, I'm sure they hate officiating his games.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote