HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nylander (merged)

Old
04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Nylander (merged)

did you think that NY - Lander will be the stud he is for us.
The guy is no spring chicken andHe has a history of so-so play (even for us)

I had a discussion on this topic w/ my london buddies in which I said that Nylander is possibly one of the most underrated players and
they laughed me out of the pub.

He reminds me of Mr. Magic himself - Kent Nilsson - I really like to watch him play.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 04-18-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
He's very underrated. And I think if you focused more on what he does instead or what he doesn't do it becomes clear that he's a great player. And arguably one of the best FA sgnings this team has ever made.

04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
He is definitely underrated, and I think other people in the league think so as well, but, like Jagr, he has to WANT to be lights out. And he has to shoot to be effective. Period.

Old
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
TheZherdev

People give him a rough time because he doesnt shoot enough. THe guy shoots, but there are those plays where there are two good options in either passing or shooting (shooting may be the better one) but he passes and thats just how he plays. But its not like he never shoots like some people say. And others criticize him for dipsy dooling with the puck and spinning, but if you notice that creates a lot of space for him and he almost never loses control of the puck. The guy in my mind is a number 1 center. He is supposedly the most hard working player on the team (always goes to the optional skate). The guy deserves credit and im glad he got that hatty last night.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's very underrated. And I think if you focused more on what he does instead or what he doesn't do it becomes clear that he's a great player. And arguably one of the best FA sgnings this team has ever made.
Agreed on all points. I like Nylander. He can be frustrating at times with his unwillingness to shoot, but looking past that he's a terrific player.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
He is definitely underrated, and I think other people in the league think so as well, but, like Jagr, he has to WANT to be lights out. And he has to shoot to be effective. Period.
He doesn't have to shoot to be effective. He has to shoot to be a legit number one center, but those 113 assists in the past two seasons are nice as well. He's a playmaker! Think Adam Oates.

Old
04-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

he is definitely entertaining to watch....

Old
04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Nylander is prime example of what the Rangers did wrong in the past, and what they've done right since the purge of 2004. We used to see lineups filled with talented "name" players. How many of those teams sank under the weight of their expected results? Nylander is the perfect center for Jagr, in that, he understands Jagr's game and complements it. It's why the talk of not having "so-called" elite prospects will not be the undoing of this franchise that someone like John Dellapina has complained it to be. Look at Girardi. Is he the talent someone like a Bouwmeester or Whitney, (both top 5 picks) is? No, but, he is a smart player who understands the game, and fits very well as Tyutin's partner. Chemistry isn't so much getting along in the locker room, but, rather finding the right people to play next to each other. It's why I have felt all year that Cullen and Prucha should play on the same line, regardless whether it is the 3rd line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Sure, he can shoot a bit more.

But I do think that people don't give him enough credit. I dont think people appreciate how hard this guy works. He is ALWAYS skating, whether with the puck or without. He backchecks hard on D, he is willing to play the boards, to fight off checks. He is very underrated.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I've always hated Nylander's game, and still get heart palpitations when he does the right side curl back at the circles...BUT he is producing, he is a NYR, and I cannot complain now.

IMO he's earned his stay here, regardless of whether I like his game or not. The only thing is, does the man command a heavy contract as a UFA? Is he looking to get max dollars from the NYR or leave to get it somewhere else?

If he's looking for more than 4-5 million, I look to give Straka/Dubinsky a go, or find a cheaper alternative. (although that did not work well for us in Cullen)

Old
04-18-2007, 09:31 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
i have liked nyls since day one the guy makes it happen and he is unbeleivable to watch how he can keep the puck away from other players and his directional change while skating is top teir.

his name always reminds me of that show some time back called highlander and everytime he scores i always say " i am nylander "

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I've always hated Nylander's game, and still get heart palpitations when he does the right side curl back at the circles...BUT he is producing, he is a NYR, and I cannot complain now.

IMO he's earned his stay here, regardless of whether I like his game or not. The only thing is, does the man command a heavy contract as a UFA? Is he looking to get max dollars from the NYR or leave to get it somewhere else?

If he's looking for more than 4-5 million, I look to give Straka/Dubinsky a go, or find a cheaper alternative. (although that did not work well for us in Cullen)
I would prefer to give him a 1-year deal at around 3-4 mill. As much as I like Shany, he is slowing down and that is showing in the playoffs...so I would not re-sign him...thus clearing up cap room for Nylander, Lundqvist, etc. I think Callahan is a young Shany really...Callahan, like Shany, has a great Shot, even better speed, decent pass, likes to hit, has good hockey sense, etc. So I'd rather let Shany go and clear some roster room for young guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpi, etc.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
clmetsfan

I've been dead wrong on two things this year:

I thought Sean Avery was a bad acquisition.

and

I thought Sather made a mistake by not trading Nylander at the deadline.

Never been more happy to be proven wrong.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Onion Boy

I called the Nylander signing three years ago.

I knew he was a good player, but I didn't realize how dominant he is. When he's on the ice, he runs the show, no question. He needs to be re-signed for as long as Jags is here.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I've been dead wrong on two things this year:

I thought Sean Avery was a bad acquisition.

and

I thought Sather made a mistake by not trading Nylander at the deadline.

Never been more happy to be proven wrong.
Yup...and remeber the hubbub about possibly dealing Jagr on deadline day. Hard to believe we are where we are now.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I would prefer to give him a 1-year deal at around 3-4 mill. As much as I like Shany, he is slowing down and that is showing in the playoffs...so I would not re-sign him...thus clearing up cap room for Nylander, Lundqvist, etc. I think Callahan is a young Shany really...Callahan, like Shany, has a great Shot, even better speed, decent pass, likes to hit, has good hockey sense, etc. So I'd rather let Shany go and clear some roster room for young guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpi, etc.
I was originally thinking the same thing, but Shanny's presence may be worth it to sign him regardless of what he will actually produce. Who will talk to the refs? It seems as though Shanny is our diplomat in this area. I can't imagine what else he has to offer, IE. a world of experience to guys like Callahan, Girardi, etc.

If you can have a spot for him on the third line, reduced price somewhat, and take away his PK time, I think it would be okay to re-sign him.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Choice

Nylander is a classic example of how Jagr can make the players around him better. I wouldnt call him a great player but we are finally seeing him reach his full potential due to maturity and being in the right environment.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I was originally thinking the same thing, but Shanny's presence may be worth it to sign him regardless of what he will actually produce. Who will talk to the refs? It seems as though Shanny is our diplomat in this area. I can't imagine what else he has to offer, IE. a world of experience to guys like Callahan, Girardi, etc.

If you can have a spot for him on the third line, reduced price somewhat, and take away his PK time, I think it would be okay to re-sign him.

While I think this is a moot point, since, my guess, is that there's a contract waiting for Shanny to sign as soon as he's ready, I want the guy back, since as you point out, i think he is a strong part of this club's leadership, and I believe he's hd a profound effect on a lot of the kids. I think he has a big effect on Avery, plus, I think he'd be a good mentor for someone like Dubinsky.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
I called the Nylander signing three years ago.

I knew he was a good player, but I didn't realize how dominant he is. When he's on the ice, he runs the show, no question. He needs to be re-signed for as long as Jags is here.
agree - him and Jagr really make a good tandem.
No doubt he is a no 1 Center, a position I thought would not be good enough to rightfully claim. I saw him more as a 2nd line center

Old
04-18-2007, 09:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Nylander is a classic example of how Jagr can make the players around him better. I wouldnt call him a great player but we are finally seeing him reach his full potential due to maturity and being in the right environment.
Well put, JC.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
While I think this is a moot point, since, my guess, is that there's a contract waiting for Shanny to sign as soon as he's ready, I want the guy back, since as you point out, i think he is a strong part of this club's leadership, and I believe he's hd a profound effect on a lot of the kids. I think he has a big effect on Avery, plus, I think he'd be a good mentor for someone like Dubinsky.
I think Shanny with his Shannanigan's is great asset to have in the lockerrom.
Jagr is not laugh a minute kinda guy.
Actually having Avery and Shanny, and from what I can see Holweg as well the lockerroom seems a great place to work right now.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
Actually having Avery and Shanny, and from what I can see Holweg as well the lockerroom seems a great place to work right now.
Joe made a really intersting point last night. They showed a shot of Jagr and Shanny laughing together on the bench. Joe talked about the immense respect that they have for each other and how they have worked very hard to figure out their roles as far as leadership and presence in the lockerroom. Seems to really have worked.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

BTW, london...Pascal Dupuis, 1 goal in this series....Ryan Callahan...2 goals.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
did you think that NY - Lander will be the stud he is for us.
The guy is no spring chicken andHe has a history of so-so play .

Your thoughts?
Nylander has become a solid #1 Center as a NY Ranger.

Some people still have a hard time thinking a guy whose been around can improve his game to the next level. Not doubt Jagr and Straka have helped but linemates are always crucila to ones development.

No one works harder than Nylander.

I think we all agree he needs to shoot more, because he's got a great shot, but all in all he has been GREAT

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

There are very few players that can do what Nylander can do, and in a way, he has a unique style that NO ONE else in the league possesses. Thats what seperates very good players and great players. Ive always loved watching this guy play, and now with the "new rules" and the space thats out there, every team would love to have a guy like this.

Last night that line totally dominated in a way that we've seen at times during the season. A big part of that is Nylanders patience, stickhandling and skating ability. It was absolutely magical to watch. The guy is a frickin wizard, a ******* wizard with the puck.

Usually towards the end of the year i start watching more or more games outside of the Rangers and last night it became very evident that that Rangers first line has a style of play unlike any other line in the league. There are very few teams in the league that possess a distinct style of play. Most teams you can watch and its mostly north south and dump and chase play, predictable. Others like the Devils for instance start from the defense out and thats their style. Some do it better than others obviously and some do it all together shaped to their advantages. Nothing cookie-cutter.

With the exception of a few team like Detriot, Buffalo and a few others the breakout patterns and offensive zone domination are unique only onto themselves. I see that with the Rangers totally as a whole, but more so with that line. When all cylinders are firing they can beat any team just like the others can.

A huge part of that dynamic is Nylander.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote