HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Avs' play-by-play guys are the WORST!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 10:23 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
What's strange about him is, when he does his between-period analysis stuff, he's obviously very knowledgeable about the game and finds a lot of interesting plays to discuss. He seems to know what he's talking about, but his color commentary really drives me nuts sometimes, and I'm no fashion police, but some of his suits are just scary.

He played at goalie at Harvard and was drafted, but never made it. Are you suggesting that a purple suit is in poor taste? He dresses like a circus ringmaster.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:30 AM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
No, he isn't that good. He is certainly no where near the best. I could care less if some people mention his name along the likes of Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, it doesn't mean he's up there with them. Bottom line is, that he's no Doc Emrick, and he will never even get close to being like the PBP phenom that is Rick Jeanerette.

I am curious what method you use to define "good". If making the Hockey Hall of Fame "isn't that good" to you, then i have to wonder what it would take for an announcer to truly be "good". I mean, your biase is showing mate.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I am curious what method you use to define "good". If making the Hockey Hall of Fame "isn't that good" to you, then i have to wonder what it would take for an announcer to truly be "good". I mean, your biase is showing mate.
Yeah. As was yours when you said Ahlers was by far the worst. He isn't that bad. But, Kings fans have said he's by far the best(Miller), and act like he's a god among men. I'm saying he's not THAT good.

At least I'm not going around saying Ahlers and Hayward are the best. I've already who are the two best IMO.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:48 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
He played at goalie at Harvard and was drafted, but never made it. Are you suggesting that a purple suit is in poor taste? He dresses like a circus ringmaster.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:00 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Yeah. As was yours when you said Ahlers was by far the worst. He isn't that bad. But, Kings fans have said he's by far the best(Miller), and act like he's a god among men. I'm saying he's not THAT good.

At least I'm not going around saying Ahlers and Hayward are the best. I've already who are the two best IMO.

? I didn't say Miller were the best and it is obvious that your lads with the LETS TALK ABOUT IT nonsense are awful. I am just saying that for you to say he isn't that good draws the question, what would you use to determine your opinion. It is obvious that you are only basing it on your hate of the Kings to me. I thought maybe you had another reason.

Is Bob Miller the best ever? I don't think so, in fact, I don't like the way he never seems to be all to excited about the Kings doings but will seem a little too excited about what our opponents do. That said, he is a Hall Of Fame broadcaster and were voted there by not only other broadcasters around the NHL, but also by other fans and NHL working people. That is good enough for me. I wouldn't comment on Hayward as I think he aint all that bad but anyone who shouts LETS TALK ABOUT IT! or close to that nonsense is a fool that makes his team look, well, silly and sort of childish.

Now, if it were Joan Rivers who were calling your games I would understand and even get it, as it is, its simply sad mate. I gave you an example of why I thought Bob Miller were one of the best where the NHL is concerned and a specific reason why your man is bloody awful, will you come back with examples or another brilliant
"Kings fans have said he's by far the best(Miller), and act like he's a god among men" when I have never even hinted that I felt that way.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
? I didn't say Miller were the best and it is obvious that your lads with the LETS TALK ABOUT IT nonsense are awful. I am just saying that for you to say he isn't that good draws the question, what would you use to determine your opinion. It is obvious that you are only basing it on your hate of the Kings to me. I thought maybe you had another reason.

Is Bob Miller the best ever? I don't think so, in fact, I don't like the way he never seems to be all to excited about the Kings doings but will seem a little too excited about what our opponents do. That said, he is a Hall Of Fame broadcaster and were voted there by not only other broadcasters around the NHL, but also by other fans and NHL working people. That is good enough for me. I wouldn't comment on Hayward as I think he aint all that bad but anyone who shouts LETS TALK ABOUT IT! or close to that nonsense is a fool that makes his team look, well, silly and sort of childish.

Now, if it were Joan Rivers who were calling your games I would understand and even get it, as it is, its simply sad mate. I gave you an example of why I thought Bob Miller were one of the best where the NHL is concerned and a specific reason why your man is bloody awful, will you come back with examples or another brilliant
"Kings fans have said he's by far the best(Miller), and act like he's a god among men" when I have never even hinted that I felt that way.
When I say Kings fans, I don't mean you. Granted, you said he was one of the best, but some other Kings fan said since his name has been mentioned with the likes of Vin Scully and Chick Hearn, he's the best at what he does. It's also pretty obvious that you have a bit of Kings fan bias, as you claim Ahlers is the worst of them all. Ahlers can shout LET TALK ABOUT IT in the middle of a time-out if he likes, it still isn't worse than shouting "OH THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU" when the Avs score a goal.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
What's strange about him is, when he does his between-period analysis stuff, he's obviously very knowledgeable about the game and finds a lot of interesting plays to discuss. He seems to know what he's talking about, but his color commentary really drives me nuts sometimes, and I'm no fashion police, but some of his suits are just scary.

I agree with you. At times he gets serious and has some good analysis and then he says something like "John, whats your favorite cookie? Mine is chocolate chip." And he said that last night, he says something like that every game.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:28 PM
punchy1

I find them equally rubbish. Thank you thank you is as sad and pathetic as it could be but lets talk about it is just worst to me. Thank you is at least somewhat applicable to the situation (although, truly disturbing and being used in the lamest saddest and truly pathetic manner it could be) where shouting lets talk about it just sounds gay. (not homosexual gay, the other kind, the worst kind)

I would only compare Bob Miller to Vin Scully by his body of work and the fact he is in the Hall of Fame. I am not a fan of the unbiased system that he and the Kings have been using for the past several years. It were different when I became a fan.

Closed Thread