HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Michal Handzus

Old
04-14-2007, 06:53 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Michal Handzus

As of 04/13/2007-- "GM Dale Tallon recently met with Michal Handzus' agent, says the Daily Herald. Tallon noted the Blackhawks would not re-sign the center if the asking price was too high. It is believed Handzus is seeking $4 million a year." (these comments were lifted directly from cbs.sportsline.com, at NHL, Rumor Mill page)

I know this is just a rumor, but we all know that Wirtz is a cheapskate. Question now is, Would Handzus come back to St. Louis?

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-14-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: quote
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
As of 04/13/2007-- "GM Dale Tallon recently met with Michal Handzus' agent, says the Daily Herald. Tallon noted the Blackhawks would not re-sign the center if the asking price was too high. It is believed Handzus is seeking $4 million a year." (these comments were lifted directly from cbs.sportsline.com, at NHL, Rumor Mill page)

I know this is just a rumor, but we all know that Wirtz is a cheapskate. Question now is, Would Handzus come back to St. Louis?
For 4 Million a year!?! No thanks.

I will take an extra 1.5 a year and go after a 5 times better player in Drury.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
2ForRoughing*

The way I see it we should sign Handzus and Nagy and put them on the same line and therefore undo the horrible Tkachuk trade completely.

Terrible deal.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 08:35 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
For 4 Million a year!?! No thanks.

I will take an extra 1.5 a year and go after a 5 times better player in Drury.
I think $4M is too high. Handzus is a very good $2M player. (currently at $2.128M according to IB's site). If what the Daily Herald reports is accurate, then Handzus and his agent need to sit down and have a drink. He was hurt almost the entire season and he allegedly wants almost double salary? I don't think so.

Drury or Briere are my choices. Drury seems to be OK after getting the #&%* knocked out of him. But we all know that hockey after a concussion can be iffy.

Having Handzus and Nagy would be great, though. Just not at $4M per.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-14-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
04-14-2007, 08:56 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
I think $4M is too high. Handzus is a very good $2M player. (currently at $2.128M according to IB's site). If what the Daily Herald reports is accurate, then Handzus and his agent need to sit down and have a drink. He was hurt almost the entire and season he allegedly wants almost double salary? I don't think so.

Drury or Briere are my choices. Drury seems to be OK after getting the #&%* knocked out of him. But we all know that hockey after a concussion can be iffy.

Having Handzus and Nagy would be great, though. Just not at $4M per.
I would love to have Nagy and Handzus back...but the price has to be right and not overpaid like the former Blues player they were traded for.

Old
04-14-2007, 09:45 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

The 4 million dollar rumor is just that. A complete rumor. But it's a fair guess at where the contract talks begin. Look at it this way. Handzus has already played for winning teams and he knows what a good organization looks like. You'd have to overpay most players to stay with the Blackhawks. Plus, if Chicago wants him to be their top center ahead of Toews, shouldn't they pay him according to the role and responsibility they expect? So asking for 4 million isn't that far off the mark because he could get many teams to pay him 3.

I'd love to have Handzus back. But I don't think he's the kind of player that fits into the Blues plans well enough to "overpay." Weight, Boyes, Cajanek, and McClement are all capable of playing center on a scoring line. If you put Boyes and Cajanek on the wings, you have Weight and McClement. Handzus certainly adds depth, but he isn't so good offensively that he really provides that punch the team needs. And St. Louis has a glut of penalty killers. As a GM, I wouldn't hesitate to pursue Handzus, and I'd be okay signing him for 3 million. But I think the Blues are looking for a more explosive commodity like Gomez.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:25 AM
BlueBleeder

I'd love to have Handzus back, but I expect him to land in Minn - He would be the perfect compliment to Demitra and Gaborik.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder
I'd love to have Handzus back, but I expect him to land in Minn - He would be the perfect compliment to Demitra and Gaborik.
Oy... the rich get richer, eh?

That'd be some kind of line, wouldn't it.

I agree with "rumrokh," who said that Handzus would be a good addition, but he's not the high-octane scoring forward the Blues really need. For $2.5 - 3 million, I'd take a flyer, but I wouldn't go any higher than that, and someone will.

P_B

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 04-15-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
barnburner

I think everybody would like to have Zus back, but, I'm just not sure it's a good fit. Whatever budget dollars and trade assets available, need to go to getting a #1 center, and a #1 or #2 Winger. Handzus fills neither need.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
I think everybody would like to have Zus back, but, I'm just not sure it's a good fit. Whatever budget dollars and trade assets available, need to go to getting a #1 center, and a #1 or #2 Winger. Handzus fills neither need.
Over the past couple months we've been talkin' about the Blues' need for a #1 centerman. Handzus has come up a lot, which is why I started the thread.

I've been more in-line with barnburner this whole time. To me, he's just not a good fit. But on a line with Demitra and Gaborik? SICK! Whoever said that Handzus will get $4M is probably right. He will get overpaid to go elsewhere.

Gomez is definitely a favorite of mine. I don't think we've seen his best years yet.

Old
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
MU_Beerman

I just go back to AM's stated wish for a big centerman, Handzus will be cheaper than Tkachuk, and may be a better fit long term anyway.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Soderberg could be that guy in another year. I say no to Handzus so the Blues could suck mightily for another year so we get a high pick next year. It's no time to get all chivalrous and try to sneak into the playoffs next year and waste a chance to draft a real Blue-chipper.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:08 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Soderberg could be that guy in another year. I say no to Handzus so the Blues could suck mightily for another year so we get a high pick next year. It's no time to get all chivalrous and try to sneak into the playoffs next year and waste a chance to draft a real Blue-chipper.
I like your thinkiing...it was actually what I wanted the Blues to do after we fired Keenan in 1996..but instead we had to get into the playoffs, to continue that pointless playoff streak and got better and better in the regular season only to do nothing in the playoffs. And get no blue chip players in the draft.

But the fact of the matter is this, we are going to be in the playoffs next year.

We already have 2 straight years of top 10 picks. Plus, Oshie is from the 2005 draft.

I think back in Dec. everyone thought we would eaisly have a top 3 or 4 pick in this years draft. But than Andy Murray did to good of a job in the 2nd half (draft wise I mean...if you can look at it that way.)

Remember we have 5 to 7 million to work with this year in free agency (outside of Jackman, Woywitka, Dvorak and Stemp)

If we add a Chris Drury and have a healthy Mckee and healty Legace...we will be in the playoffs in one year.

And I think it IS the time to get "chivalrous". And I would love this Blues team to "sneak into the playoffs" with a Andy Murray coached team, (unlike a Quenneville or Kitchen coached team). Murray has what it takes to get a team ready and prepared for a playoff run. Remember the Oilers "snuck into the playoffs" as a 8 seed and upset the top 3 seeds in the West last year, under a great coach in Mactavish and young team.

Old
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
trublu16

Handzus?? I thought everyone on this board was wanting a #1 center??

Handzus, althou is a nice 2nd line center to have, he is not worth anything over 2.5 per season. He is a 2nd line centerman at best. We already have Weight, which will be our 2nd line centerman fro next season. I think everyone on here would like to have him back, but he is going to go for the cash. And I really do not think JD is going to go for a depth guy for a 3+ mil per season, which I think he will get. It was nice when he was here, but I am looking at the future not the past. Much rather go and pay Drury the 5-6 mil that he will get, and that may be on the light side for him. Really depends on what he does for Buffalo in the playoffs.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
Handzus?? I thought everyone on this board was wanting a #1 center??

Handzus, althou is a nice 2nd line center to have, he is not worth anything over 2.5 per season. He is a 2nd line centerman at best.
Yeah man. We DO want a #1 centerman. And if you read the posts on this thread, then you would have noticed that most of us feel Handzus is not best candidate for what we need.

Old
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Yeah man. We DO want a #1 centerman. And if you read the posts on this thread, then you would have noticed that most of us feel Handzus is not best candidate for what we need.
I think he might have been talking about 2forRoughing's comments above...

Old
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I think he might have been talking about 2forRoughing's comments above...
Oh....ok

Old
04-16-2007, 05:25 AM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
That would be great, but i just can't see management purposely dealing with an apathetic fan base (the half full house and the accompanying losses) for another year, they will more than likely try hard to reach the playoffs.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

Hawks spent 90% of the cap space

Wirtz is not a cheap skate

in the old NHL he was

not the new NHL

He just needs to spend better

Look at IB's page and how much they spent this year prior to the deadline

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
c-carp

Quote:

I like Handzus a lot as a player, but in the Salary cap world 4 mil a year is too much for him.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder View Post
Who knows how these things are going to play out but that is a logical call.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Checker*

If we didn't have money and spots wasted on Cajanek and Rucinsky, I think he'd be a decent signing (if under 4 million dollars) if we'd play him at LW (which he can do) instead of center. Unfortuanately with the current make-up of the team, we have much more pressing needs than to drop a couple of million dollars here.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
If we didn't have money and spots wasted on Cajanek and Rucinsky, I think he'd be a decent signing (if under 4 million dollars) if we'd play him at LW (which he can do) instead of center. Unfortuanately with the current make-up of the team, we have much more pressing needs than to drop a couple of million dollars here.
Rucinsky adds necessary depth and skill to this team, it's not a waste. You can legitimately say the Drake contract is a waste or even some of the unnecessary grinders we have are 'wasted' contracts but anyone that adds skill to the Blues - something they sorely lack - isn't a waste at all. You want another Jamal Mayers out there? The Blues need all the skill they can get and all the depth they can get, which brings me back to my point about Handzus, which isn't that he's a number one center. He lacks the wheels and the hands, but he would strengthen the Blues down the middle. What the Blues lack in top end firepower, and I have no hope or desire to see them burn 7 million bucks on one player like Drury instead of addressing their lack of DEPTH, they need to make up by rolling as many solid lines as they can. Adding two 2nd line players like Nagy and Handzus for about what it would cost you to add Drury is a no-brainer. You add depth and not max out on your top end player and have nothing to roll after that.
But again, you guys missed the point. Ha, pearls to the swine.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote