HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Action Away From The Benches

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 05:26 PM
SopelFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Action Away From The Benches

http://www.nhlcanucks.com/videos/16....eingruutu4.mpg

Here's a recent example. Ruutu and Forsberg are tied up, Ruutu jumps the boards and takes Forsberg's stick with him. Cooke yanks it out of Forsberg's hands, and Bertuzzi hands it to the trainer. The trainer desposes of it and it was never seen again.

I remember a few years ago when Draper and Maltby did this to the Avs twice. 1996 or something. Anyone else recall situations like this? They probably happen more than we know of.

EDIT: I meant: "Action On The Benches."

Last edited by SopelFan*: 02-19-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old
02-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

And people wonder why Forsberg was off his game....dang!

Old
02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche

Jesus christ!!!! ruutu diving when Skoula grazed him was hilarious!!!!

Old
02-19-2004, 06:20 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller259

Jesus christ!!!! ruutu diving when Skoula grazed him was hilarious!!!!
Stay on topic please.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:21 PM
SopelFan*

I fixed the link.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Shane

I guarentee that no one, other than Vancouver fans, likes Jarkko Tikkane... I mean Ruutu. And that's why we love him.

Last edited by Shane: 02-19-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old
02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I do remember it happening one other time it was sometime around the mid 90's I want to say it was the devils and another team because Peluso was sitting on the guys stick or maybe blade because they wanted to check to see if it was an illegal curve the other team could have been pittsburgh but not 100%

Old
02-19-2004, 06:40 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441
I do remember it happening one other time it was sometime around the mid 90's I want to say it was the devils and another team because Peluso was sitting on the guys stick or maybe blade because they wanted to check to see if it was an illegal curve the other team could have been pittsburgh but not 100%
haha i was JUST about to write that. Good point

Old
02-19-2004, 06:45 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
remember a few years ago when Draper and Maltby did this to the Avs twice. 1996 or something. Anyone else recall situations like this? They probably happen more than we know of.
I do recall 1 time, it was I think Shanahan. Shanny Lost his stick because an Avs Player yanked it out of his hands. So he yanked a stick out of an avs players hands and started using it.

No penalty was called in either situations, because usually when its that blatent, its away from the play or taking place in the middle of a line change, and it gets missed.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:07 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
How about broken sticks? Has an opposing team ever stolen a stick after they break their stick?

Old
02-19-2004, 07:07 PM
SopelFan*

The one I remember is when Warren Rychel was skating off and I think Primeau grabbed it away and chucked it behind the bench. The other one was I think, Ricci skating off, and Draper slashing is stick on the ice. Then Sakic couldn't go back to get it, so Maltby, I think, straddling the board, pulled it to the boards and tried lifting it with his stick. Then Doug Brown came off and took the stick. Primeau grabbed it and broke it and then Ricci got mad. So Ricci chucked his water bottle and Primeau and hit him, so Primeau threw the broken stick on the ice.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:10 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Well they are what? 150-200 dollar sticks? Poor Ricci...

I wonder if anyone ever kept the sticks they've stolen too?

Old
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Well they are what? 150-200 dollar sticks? Poor Ricci...

I wonder if anyone ever kept the sticks they've stolen too?
They were still wood back then.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I think it'd be pretty funny if someone broke their stick, then grabbed another players stick, and then scored a goal. I wonder what would spring from that.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
That was great.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:03 AM
SopelFan*

BTW, Forsberg's stick was the orange one. Keep an eye on it.

Old
02-20-2004, 05:39 AM
stardog

I remember a few years back when the Pens played the Flames something pretty damn funny happened.

The teams were lined up for a faceoff.

Lemiuex and Theo Fluery were jostling for position on the wing. They kept putting thier sticks on top of the other person, going back and forth, each trying to tie up the other players stick with thier own.
Finally, Lemiuex let Fleury keep his stick on top, and instead, Mario lifted his skate, and stomped straight down on Theoren's stick, snapping it in two pieces before the puck was dropped.
The ref's back was turned so Fluery's loud complaints went unheard.
What was so funny was that Mario just stood there with a smile on his face, like he didn't do anything.
Theo was PISSED off, cuz it made him look silly. The ref's, for thier part, probably assumed Fluery's stick just snapped in half by osmosis or spontaneus combustion.
That was a unique situation that I dont recall seeing before or since.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:53 AM
PSUhockey34

A penguins goalie, might of been Brasso, played the puck behind the net or something but he managed to his stick lodged in the boards...this was a fews years back so im not sure on the all details, he tried 4 or 5 times to get the goalie stick unstuck but couldnt...so somehow he was able to get grab Dale Hunter's stick away from him and used that till the play ended

I've seen Roy purposely step on the blade of his stick and break right before a faceoff, delaying the game for a few moments giving the players alittle bit more of a rest...i think it was in the playoffs, not sure though

Old
02-20-2004, 08:24 AM
DarioinDenver

It used to be much more prelevant with the one ref system. But Forsberg gets a lot of action behind the play, he usually makes it worse.

For those that don't know, Forsberg got the only penalty on that play. You'd hope the refs review tape and see that they were shown up by certain situations and players. Consequently you'd think some players would lose the benefit of the doubt when they ref'd the next game. I remember when Luc Robitaille dove to the ice after a high stick missed his face by three inches in the playoffs. Kings when on the PP. Luc didn't get another call the rest of the series after that. I'd like to think the refs reviewed that play.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:45 AM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
It used to be much more prelevant with the one ref system. But Forsberg gets a lot of action behind the play, he usually makes it worse.

For those that don't know, Forsberg got the only penalty on that play. You'd hope the refs review tape and see that they were shown up by certain situations and players. Consequently you'd think some players would lose the benefit of the doubt when they ref'd the next game. I remember when Luc Robitaille dove to the ice after a high stick missed his face by three inches in the playoffs. Kings when on the PP. Luc didn't get another call the rest of the series after that. I'd like to think the refs reviewed that play.
I think the problem was that he refused to leave after he lost his stick. He had been giving warnings.

Old
02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Lyons71

I remember once when a player lost his stick and just went for a line change Theo Fluery took it and broke it.

Closed Thread