HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nylander (merged)

Old
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
I've seen that some fans complained about Nylander's whirling. I don't know if these fans were old enough to remember The Great One's spinning around as he would gain the zone. People seem to forget that in the last 4-5 years of his career, Gretzky wasn't much of a shooter either. He was a playmaker. And that's what Nylander is - a playmaker. He'll make the right play (yes, very corney).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually, I have heard that Jagr has a great sense of humor in the locker room.

As for Shanny, you have got to give the guy a ton of credit for coming in and doing what he's done on and off the ice, while never stepping on Jags toes. Very difficult siutation to handle and he has shown what a true veteran he is. Wish had him 5-6 years ago.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post

I've heard that as well. I know he's always cracking the reporters up. Clearly the guy absolutely loves this team and loves playing in NY.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post

As for Shanny, you have got to give the guy a ton of credit for coming in and doing what he's done on and off the ice, while never stepping on Jags toes. Very difficult siutation to handle and he has shown what a true veteran he is. Wish had him 5-6 years ago.
Some of us have wished that since 1994.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
BTW, london...Pascal Dupuis, 1 goal in this series....Ryan Callahan...2 goals.

I wasnt' arguing about callahan...

Hossa, Kovalchuk, don't have many more points either and dont tell me you would take Calahan over either of those...

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I've seen that some fans complained about Nylander's whirling. I don't know if these fans were old enough to remember The Great One's spinning around as he would gain the zone. People seem to forget that in the last 4-5 years of his career, Gretzky wasn't much of a shooter either. He was a playmaker. And that's what Nylander is - a playmaker. He'll make the right play (yes, very corney).
geez for a playmaker he is not exactly wasting opportunities to light them up!

Old
04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I've been dead wrong on two things this year:

I thought Sean Avery was a bad acquisition.

and

I thought Sather made a mistake by not trading Nylander at the deadline.

Never been more happy to be proven wrong.
Wow on that first one you were wrong and a whole new level!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
I wasnt' arguing about callahan...

Hossa, Kovalchuk, don't have many more points either and dont tell me you would take Calahan over either of those...
After what i have been seeing when it matters, i actually think I would take Callahan.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
geez for a playmaker he is not exactly wasting opportunities to light them up!
Seriously. But that's what I remember from 97 Eastern Conference Finals run - Gretzky scoring goals like nobody's business with such a weak shot and with such a sparse amount of them too.

Old
04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
SChan*

NYlander deserves all credit he can get. He is not just a product of Jagr as some wants to think. Watch him last night, on the first goal, Nylander stickhandles through, feed Jagr the puck, and get it back and scores. On the 2nd goal, he is in the right position, on his assists he very nicely feeds Malik, and on the hat-trick he is in the right position again.

Not just a product of Jagr.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Guy has played really well for us these past two seasons and hope he keeps it up when we sign him to a two year deal in the off season...

The Nylander-Jagr combo is one of the best one two punches in the league....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think Nylander was transformed by the 'new' NHL. He's not very big, so the more open game which discourages hooking and holding allows him to be very slippery.

The biggest difference between Nylander as a Ranger and the rest of his career is that Nylander could always be mesmerizing and score multi-point games, but then he'd disappear. These days, even on bad days (the ones where he passes when he's alone on the goalie in the slot) he's still scoring one, two assists a game.

It was good thinking by the Rangers to pick him up, knowing he played well with Jagr in Washington.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
I wasn't expecting a hat trick in the playoffs from Nyls, but other than that I'm not surprised at all. It's not coincidence that the Rangers' top 3 scorers have been Jagr-Nylander-Straka (in that order), the past two seasons.

Hossa and Tyutin returning has been very important and Jagr seems to be healthy now, which means plenty of room to roam for his linemates.

Nylander's chemistry with Jagr is undeniable, so they almost have to bring him back for another season or two.

The European game is often slighted, not always without reason. However, just because a team/line/player isn't delivering bone-jarring hits, doesn't mean they can't play positional hockey (solid checks, battling for pucks along the boards, absorbing hits to make plays). The better Czech international teams of recent years are testament to this fact, and this is how I expect the top line to play.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm glad to brought up the Gretzky comp. Wayne used to do that all the time, flying in down the center and hooking around to the point along the boards (or coming down the boards, and hooking back into the center). It gives your guys a chance to go to the net, can spread out the defense and provides for some good chances.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Wease

If any of you guys have ever read Hockey Scouting Report by Sherry Ross, it's been around for a while and there's a new version every year, I believe. Years ago when I first starting reading it, around the mid 90's, I remember some parts of Nylander's:

"Immensely talented, has a 6th sense out on the ice, like Gretzky."

Or something along those lines. But for MANY years Nylander only lasted a year or two with a team and moved on. Why is that? Who knows. But finally, he's starting to be the player his talent level dictated. Is it New York? Is it Jagr? Is it maturity? Probably a bit of everything, the biggest emphasis on the last one, in my opinion.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Nylander is a classic example of how Jagr can make the players around him better. I wouldnt call him a great player but we are finally seeing him reach his full potential due to maturity and being in the right environment.
This is absolutely true.
But it's also a matter of Nyls playing a game that suits Jagr.
So they are feeding off eachother.

Mainly Nyls off Jags, but there's a flow going the other way too.

I think that one clue is that he knows his own game, he knows what he can do.
And when allowed to play that game, and with the right people around him, he is finally just as good as people believed when he was voted rookie of the year in sweden (a century or two ago).

I liked his attitude when he joined Tre Kronor for the WC, after being ignored for the Olympics.

"I'll always play for the national team if I can. I have no reason to complain about Bengan's (the national coach) selection. I do think that he was wrong, but it's his job and not mine, for which I'm eternally grateful. And given the result it would be quite silly to complain about the team he selected.".

It's the same with doing his job in his NHL team.

He'll do it the way he's been asked to do. He might not always like it, but he's not payed to like it, he's payed to do what he's told.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

hey even Pascal Dupuis might be a good player on Jagr's line....

Old
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm glad to brought up the Gretzky comp. Wayne used to do that all the time, flying in down the center and hooking around to the point along the boards (or coming down the boards, and hooking back into the center). It gives your guys a chance to go to the net, can spread out the defense and provides for some good chances.
well, I wouldn't call Gretzky's skating as "flying" but yeah, that's what he did. Gretzky hasn't been a fast skater at 25 y.o., let alone when he joined the Rangers. But both Nylander and Gretzky are so slippery. And Nylander, IMO, is a better skater than the later Gretzky.

Old
04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Damn I really am in the minority. I hate Nylander haha. I swear to god the guy is giving me gray hair and I'm 19. It seems like he screws around with the puck so much and always waits way too long to shoot. I know I know he had the hat trick last night and a bunch of goals but I don't care, I still don't like him.
That being said, I will have no problem if he proves me wrong with another hat trick

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
well, I wouldn't call Gretzky's skating as "flying" but yeah, that's what he did. Gretzky hasn't been a fast skater at 25 y.o., let alone when he joined the Rangers. But both Nylander and Gretzky are so slippery. And Nylander, IMO, is a better skater than the later Gretzky.
I'll agree with you there. I didn't really put a lot of thought in to my word choice when I typed flying, that kinda just something I use to describe players breaking into the zone. Gretz wasn't the best skater ever, but he was smooth and under control at all times. Nyls is a helluva skater.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Damn I really am in the minority. I hate Nylander haha. I swear to god the guy is giving me gray hair and I'm 19. It seems like he screws around with the puck so much and always waits way too long to shoot. I know I know he had the hat trick last night and a bunch of goals but I don't care, I still don't like him.
That being said, I will have no problem if he proves me wrong with another hat trick
Look at all his assists though. The guy is money as a playmaker. There's more to being an offensive force than scoring goals.

Old
04-19-2007, 12:01 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Look at all his assists though. The guy is money as a playmaker. There's more to being an offensive force than scoring goals.
No I know that for sure, but he's just so damn frustrating sometimes. I don't know, I personally think his stats are inflated but whatever, as long as we keep winning I could care less haha.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:46 AM
DontStaal

when will we resign the guy?

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Nylander

was amazing in Series 1.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:00 PM
McDonagh27

He has been amazing all year. Every player has his faults, and he has many.. but Nylander is a bargain and one of the best Ranger Free Agent acquisitions of the past 20 years. Kudos to Sather for building around the captain.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote