Wheat Kings vs Hitmen

Old
04-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Plante wasn't very good, but look at the poor effort the WK gave in front of him. In Calgary the shots were 37 v 19, 35 v 17, 33 v 17. I'm sorry, but over a series that lack of offence will lose you the series. A hot goalie might steal a game, (like Deckert did for PA), but it doesn't matter who you have in net, 99% of the time when the shots for the opposition are double your shots, you're going to lose. It was Calgary's 2nd and 3rd lines producing more than Brandon's 2nd and 3rd line that caused this series to turn, not Plantes mediocre play.
how many of the games were done by the end of the 2nd though? the 3rd periods of the games were basically mop up duty and the wk's just mailed it in once they got behind.

I really have no idea how Brandons O came up so brutal in the last 4 this series.......Spence isnt even remotely a top goalie so I have no clue how the hell they didnt pelt him with 45 shots a game wether from center ice or not. Clearly this was the Strategy employed by the Hitmen after a few weak goals.....pucks were getting by Plante from everywhere including behind the goal line.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:55 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
how many of the games were done by the end of the 2nd though? the 3rd periods of the games were basically mop up duty and the wk's just mailed it in once they got behind.

I really have no idea how Brandons O came up so brutal in the last 4 this series.......Spence isnt even remotely a top goalie so I have no clue how the hell they didnt pelt him with 45 shots a game wether from center ice or not. Clearly this was the Strategy employed by the Hitmen after a few weak goals.....pucks were getting by Plante from everywhere including behind the goal line.
In the 3 games in Calgary after 2 periods the shots were 71 to 40 Hitmen, so that show's how dominating the Hitmen were. Wouldn't have mattered if we'd had superman in net, we still would have lost.
I'm no Plante lover by the way, but I can't hang the brutal effort the WK's gave in Calgary on him. Hope he is traded for future potential to a contender as we rebuild next season and give Caliguri and Hay a chance to claim the #1 position

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Alzner to Fla.

Plante,on Sunday looked really good and really bad on a couple of those goals.
This run is doing a lot of good for Alzner's draft position. He has been a rock on our blue line.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:16 PM
WheatiesHockey

Game 5 was the series pivot point. It was a really strange game with wild momentum shifts and a crazy OT winner by LeBlanc.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
In the 3 games in Calgary after 2 periods the shots were 71 to 40 Hitmen, so that show's how dominating the Hitmen were. Wouldn't have mattered if we'd had superman in net, we still would have lost.
I'm no Plante lover by the way, but I can't hang the brutal effort the WK's gave in Calgary on him. Hope he is traded for future potential to a contender as we rebuild next season and give Caliguri and Hay a chance to claim the #1 position
What was the goals for and against in the first 2 periods.........my point is that I think the WK's were out of the games either by the start of the 3rd or early 3rd in these games and at that point it just piled on...........71 shots in 6 periods is really not a horrendous amount.......it is less then 12 shots a period which works out to between 35 and 36 shots a game.........thats not that bad......its not like Plante was facing 45-50 shots a night like last year.......sure it doesnt excuse our players for getting just under 7 shots a period but if your down by 3 goals after allowing only 20-25 shots it is seriously deflating.

Plante went from a gaa of about 2.25 and a sv% of about .920% after the first 2 games of the Calgary series all the way to over 3.3 gaa and like .894% in just the last 4 games.........thats how bad he was in them.

Old
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
WheatiesHockey

This was not a goaltender's series and had little bearing on the final outcome.
Special teams ruled and Brandon came up short. The power play was non existent for Brandon and penalty killing was little better. Both teams were guilty at times of running around wildly in their own end. Calgary played well in the series and caught a few lucky breaks along the way. The games in Calgary really blew the Wheaties confidence level.

Old
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
What was the goals for and against in the first 2 periods.........
3-1 Calgary after 2 in game three.
3-1 Calgary after 2 in game four.
2-1 Calgary after 2 in game six.

If they were quitting after two on scores like that, then that is one pathetic hockey club.

Quote:
Plante went from a gaa of about 2.25 and a sv% of about .920% after the first 2 games of the Calgary series all the way to over 3.3 gaa and like .894% in just the last 4 games.........thats how bad he was in them.
Alternatively, Calgary was rested for games 3 and 4, as opposed to being dead tired for games 1 and 2. I still maintain what I said early on: this series only went six becuase Brandon got to face an exhausted opponent.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
3-1 Calgary after 2 in game three.
3-1 Calgary after 2 in game four.
2-1 Calgary after 2 in game six.

If they were quitting after two on scores like that, then that is one pathetic hockey club.

Alternatively, Calgary was rested for games 3 and 4, as opposed to being dead tired for games 1 and 2. I still maintain what I said early on: this series only went six becuase Brandon got to face an exhausted opponent.
Calgary was only in the series because Brandon was brutal in the last 4 games of the series........Brandon was a better team all season long so whatever lol.........Brandon's special teams were ****, our goaltending was **** and the defence left something to be desired....Brandon under achieved big time in this series, and thats fine but enough talking **** about how much more dominant Calgary was...........where were you after the first 2 games when it was 2-0 brandon? Thats what I thought.

Old
04-18-2007, 05:56 AM
WheatiesHockey

Regular season records can be a bit deceiving in the WHL.Calgary finished third in what is arguably the toughest division in the entire CHL. Lethbridge missed the playoffs entirely and would have been a solid third place team in the East.The Wheat Kings were top dogs in the WHL's weakest Division this year.

Old
04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Ryan White, Alzner, Plante, Sonne, Pettersson, Dupont.

Good team IMO.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Vik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
This run is doing a lot of good for Alzner's draft position. He has been a rock on our blue line.
I actually wasn't impressed all that much with Alzner when he was here. He seemed to be having a lot of trouble along the boards and wasn't doing much else to warrant his high draft ranking. But then I've always preferred Plante to him so maybe I'm just biased.

Edit: Should probably mention that I mean Alex Plante.

Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatiesHockey View Post
Regular season records can be a bit deceiving in the WHL.Calgary finished third in what is arguably the toughest division in the entire CHL. Lethbridge missed the playoffs entirely and would have been a solid third place team in the East.The Wheat Kings were top dogs in the WHL's weakest Division this year.
And if the Hurricanes had played an East Division schedule rather than a Central division schedule, they likely would have finished a strong second.

Other than Brandon, that entire East Division was garbage this year.