HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Avery so hated?

Old
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
frozenrubber

vCash: 500
time will tell

The main thing for all Ranger fans to focus on is the book on Sean Avery is far from finished...

Sean Avery is PERFECT on a winning team. And alot of the recent winning has been a direct result of Avery's exploits.

However, his sideshow only magnifies a losing situation and could prove absolutely disastrous. While toned down, the "me-first" attitude is still there.

Simple solution, the Rangers have to keep winning...

As much crap as Holik got for speaking his mind while a Ranger, I can only shudder to think of Avery on one of the playoff-less squads. I think you'd see Fleury Part II.

His passion is very similar to that of Kovalchuk. When Ilya had the incident where he called out Sidney Crosby, that was an absolutely amazing game and performance. However, on the flip side, his passion turned out to be a big detriment and found himself ejected from the game (with very little purpose, as he wasn't standing up for a teammate...he was settling his own personal vendetta against Avery).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Guys, let's be real here. Sean Avery is a little *******.
But he's our *******

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:51 PM
ziggy_puppy

It's a lot of misconceptions about him. Since he's said some unfavorable comments over the years, the media jumps on him about anything and everything. His skill isn't appreciated and it's mostly people who don't watch him on a daily basis that like to shoot their mouths. I've had a problem with this for four years and have written countless nasty emails, but he's kind of brought it on himself. Until the media starts educating themselves, the hatred will continue.
He's also the guy that you love to have, hate to play against, so that definitely plays a part.

ziggy_puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Heat McManus

Coming from a guy who really can't stand Avery it is because of the rascist comments, and dirty play. He has a nice little cheap shot/turtle 1-2 punch he uses. Cheap shot the other team's top guy (Kariya for example) then turtle from their tough guy (Hordichuk).

I don't buy the "hate to play against him, love to play with him" line because he was booted off LA and wasn't liked very much in Detroit
, but I have to admit that Avery has done an amazing job since he came to the Rangers and has been focused in the Thrashers series. Which only makes me hate him more.

He's a skilled player that also aggitates and is doing it well right now.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
ziggy_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Coming from a guy who really can't stand Avery it is because of the rascist comments, and dirty play. He has a nice little cheap shot/turtle 1-2 punch he uses. Cheap shot the other team's top guy (Kariya for example) then turtle from their tough guy (Hordichuk).

I don't buy the "hate to play against him, love to play with him" line because he was booted off LA and wasn't liked very much in Detroit
, but I have to admit that Avery has done an amazing job since he came to the Rangers and has been focused in the Thrashers series. Which only makes me hate him more.

It's people like you who continue to fuel the Avery hatred for absolutely no reason.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Look up the word "alleged" and get back to me. Why is Laraque's word more credible than Avery's. Coming from a Kings fan who watched that game, the refs were near these two players the entire game, along with teammates, because everyone knew the history of these two. How does it make sense that no one heard Avery use a racial slur?

Again, the Nashville game on Thanksgiving 2005. Cheap shot to Kariya? It was an undeniable clean hit, with Kariya turned with his side towards the wall, not his back, with no penalty called.
And getting attacked from behind doesn't really constitute turtling. Not only that, if he really did make a conscious decision to "turtle", which is very debatable, his team was down 4-1 at the time and he gave them a 5-minute major power play. And people argue that he isn't a team player.

Booted off L.A.? Much like Conroy and the captain Norstrom right? L.A. was a joke this year and they were housecleaning. It's what happens. Lombardi had an amazing relationship with Avery and was able to give him an opportunity to play in a city where he would be appreciated. It's called a trade.

And he was adored in Detroit. There was even a petition created to bring him back. The respected veterans on that team - Shanahan, Hull, Draper, Maltby, Yzerman - are all still good friends with him.
Get your facts straight, it helps your argument.

Of course I'm biased. I've been one of his biggest fans for the past four years. He's been amazing to watch on the ice, and he's gone out of his way to be incredibly generous towards me off of it. But either way, Watch him. I guarantee that you did not watch either of those games (Oilers or Nashville), nor that you watch him on a daily basis. You've probably never met him and have no reason for your hatred. Form your own opinions, based on education, not everyone else's views.

ziggy_puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
zurg999

Well......

Could have something to do with the fact that he's a diving, cheap-shotting, yappy piece of f*lth?

Makes me sick to see Shanahan, who I thought had more class, play buddies with this guy.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Well......

Could have something to do with the fact that he's a diving, cheap-shotting, yappy piece of f*lth?

Makes me sick to see Shanahan, who I thought had more class, play buddies with this guy.
guess you were wrong about Shanny, hey?

probably wrong about Yzerman, Bowman etc. too.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
The way that he has played in NY makes it not so hard to see the connection. If Tucker can make this transition, why can't Avery?

Frankly, it makes no difference to me what he was or was not in other cities. He has fit in perfectly and had made a big difference on this Rangers team. And right now, that is all that matters.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:01 PM
XploD

It's obvious. It's the girl.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Pizza

Avery has elevated his game in every way since becoming a Ranger. As a pest he's even better now than he was as a King and that's saying something. His manipulation of the Thrashers was absolutely masterful. The way he got inside the team's collective head and got them off their game was psych war executed to perfection.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:27 AM
BJo

People hate Avery for 4 reasons

They are jealous of his girlfriend

He speaks his mind and insults other people (like bashing French Canadians)

He's a rare combination of pest, skill, and speed

He dives

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:37 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post

He's going to fight Hordichuk fair and square? Kariya is relatively his own size and actually it's senseless anyway as Hordichuk sucks as a hockey player. I haven't seen all his antics over the years but as one who has seen Tucker and both ends of Fleury, Kaspar or Samuelsson or lets even go way back to Linseman these guys were all good players but they were effective and one reason was they didn't duke it out with the plugs but they got other teams best players off their game. I'm sorry but I'm almost like we're better off having him in our lineup than facing him in Buffalo's or New Jersey's lineup.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Ola

Why give Avery a break?

Their is a buzz on him in this league, why should a player on another team not feed that?

Its like Crosby. All other mega stars in this league have had a big negative buzz around them. Gretzky, Lemiuxe, Lindros and Forsberg, all were cry babys, divers, whiners ect.

Avery is a pest, the more talk there is about his bad behavior the more penaltys the reffs will give him, and the fewer they will call on assults on him.

I doubt Avery really gets under the skin on allot of players/vets. Though they will keep pressuring him all they can, since it hurts him. If you can hurt the other team in any way in this league, you do that. Especially pests and mega stars.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:11 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Anybody catch this yet: The Forechecker's alternative NHL awards

It's from FoxSports. Pretty funny read

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
NYRSinceBirth

"You should let your dog lick your face, instead of chew it." -Sean Avery
Things like that, said on the ice, is why players hate to play him.
"I hope Cambell does something about this, giving him more that three games like that meathead in New Jersey."-Sean Avery
This is why the media and fans love him.
"Hey Mario, you should turn that '1' into a '6'."-Jaromir Jagr
And his teammates love him. Avery must have some sort of record, he has to have the most interviews/camera time since his arrival.

Not only all of that, but unlike some other pests/enforcers, Avery can score, puck handle, set up plays, and isn't bad on D/forechecking.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote