HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd round matchups

View Poll Results: Which team do you prefer the Rangers to face in the second round of the playoffs?
Ottawa 29 33.72%
Buffalo 57 66.28%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2007, 12:05 AM
stuart

vCash: 500
We want Tampa to win

The rangers can beat Ottawa... They are beatable, I recommend staying away from Buffalo as long as you can.....

I do not think Buffalo's defense can handle Jagr, he would have a big series..............

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:21 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
for the refs to b0ne you in the ass when you guys play Buffalo next round.
Trust us, we're used to it.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
BJo

You guys can beat Buffalo. The Isles would be right in the thick of this series had the league not decided to hand Buffalo the second round on a platter, and IMO the Rangers are a far superior team to the Isles at this point. I think Miller is a pretty average goalie and I don't think their D would handle Jagr particularly well.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Bring on Buffalo!

Only way they don't play them is if TB wins. Then Buffalo would play TB, and likely beat them, so either way have to go thru the Sabres.

I'd rather they play Buffalo, with its tremendous depth at forward, in second round, when Rangers are healthy and rested.

Ottawa has better defense and is more physical, so would rather wait and play winner of OTT/NJ after they beat up on each other in a series.

Buffalo and Rangers would be a heck of a series, good amount of scoring. Rangers would need to continue playing solid team D, Lundqvist to stand on his head, and 2/3 lines to at least hold their own.

They haven't played since Dec. 1st, when Buffalo was red hot and the Rangers were a much different team.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:45 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Trust us, we're used to it.

really used to it

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:51 AM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
I would rather face ottawa. I'm not a big emery guy. not to mention ottawa consistently disappoints in the playoffs. I would like to avoid buffalo as long as possible. their speed and depth is downright frightening.

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Gozer

I'll take Ottawa. Just have a good feeling about meeting them.

Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:34 AM
King Prucha

Does anyone else think that we actually match up well against Buffalo?

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
After watching some of the Islanders series and seeing the Isles (smyth line especially) control the boards very well, I just smile when I think about Hossa and Jagr and their excellent puck control.
Avery-Straka-Shanahan
Enough Speed in Avery and Straka to keep pace with the Sabres and are all defensively responsible. Straka is also due to break out. Avery has another to team to drive crazy with no real deterrent.
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan
This line is the prototypical Sabres line. Fast, quick, and a nose for the goal.
Orts-Betts-Orr/Holly
Defensively responsible, though Orr probably would be a speed liability.

Compared to when the Rangers last played them in December, the Rangers now have a team that can basically skate with the Sabres.
They now have Orts, Callahan, Avery, Mara, a hot Lundqvist, a healthy Jagr, Girardi, Pock

Another thing is I don't believe Buffalo has a real "checking line" per se. They have four lines of skill and not a lot of shut down. They have no Pandolfo's or Holik's to shut down our top players.

Just some food for thought.

King Prucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:25 AM
lotus

bring on ottawa. I think Buffalo is coming off the isles fresh and not too overwhelmed. Let them get a little exhausted first so Afinogenov can only pull 15 spinoramas and vanek can only toe drag 25 times in 2 seconds and briere can only spear someone 5 times. Ottawa has a solid D true but i think Lundqvist > Emery on a good scale.

I think the scoring of buffalo negates our goaltending advantage, so let them tire their legs a bit first.

With that said, i fear Ottawa and Buffalo the most. So when I think it over, it's a toss up and I don't care. It's a Rangers game no matter what.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Ola

I don't know what team I would prefer.

I think its a advantage for us against both teams to start away. It will be against one of the big favorites, and all the pressure will be on them.

I am comfortable that we will do some damage against both teams, but they are diffrent kind of opponentes.

Ottawa is a more physical team, they can win games with their PP and PK. They got allot of experience in the PO's. I feel they are the type of team that could get us off our game plan, something I don't feel about many teams. I feel it could turn into a real low scoring series, were we would have a advantage in Lundqvist, but I wonder if thats enough.

Against Buffalo it would be a fight about momentum. Both teams loves hanging on to the puck, offense is the best defense ect. Which ever team managed to get on top will create allot of offense. I feel our defense is better then theirs, but they got more firepower. Against Buffalo I am a little afraid that we will be all JJ, and they will have the advantage in the rest of the matchup. But I defenitly think we got a chance against them. Their D aren't that good.

In the end I think I would prefer Buffalo. I think our odds to get on top right away are fairly good, and if we could do that its possible that we might get them off their gameplan. Something it will be impossible to do against Ottawa. At the same time, if Buffalo have the marginals on their side, they might jump ahead right away and never look back. We could be sweept. I really doubt it but its always risky to play against them, they got so much firepower.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Yeah its really ridiculous how bad the Isles are getting shafted. When you have just about every Rangers fan agreeing the Isles are getting screwed, SOMETHING is wrong.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
In The Flesh

Isles are really getting ****ed. It's BS, They are really working hard, and really keeping up with Buffalo,just not winning.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Eh, the Rangers might end up playing Ottawa next round if Tampa beats the Debbies.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:09 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Eh, the Rangers might end up playing Ottawa next round if Tampa beats the Debbies.
True. The TB and Debs series is tied 2-2 right now. Anything can happen in that series and change who our opponent will be next round.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:13 AM
bmw2004

I think they have to worry playing us at this point. Give us Bufalo and we'll show the world what Rangers is all about. We'll earn that respect.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Ola

One positive is that which ever of thoose two teams we play, even if we loose, it will show us what it takes to be successful against the best in this league.

There aren't any teams playing at higher levels then thoose two in this league.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
One positive is that which ever of thoose two teams we play, even if we loose, it will show us what it takes to be successful against the best in this league.

There aren't any teams playing at higher levels then thoose two in this league.
...And to win the Cup, you have to beat the best of the best!

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
i feel like i know what to expect from Buffalo and if we can keep our lines fresh and working, we will always be in the games...

Ottawa is kind of an enigma for me. There is a lot of offense potential and there is a lot of potential for them to flop.

Ultimately i want to play Ottawa because i want NJ ousted ... not gonna happen so we will play Buffalo and that will be a good series.

AGraveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I'd rather play Buffalo than Ottawa. Buffalo is very fast and deep offensively, but they don't have any players that are scary on the defensive side. I think they would have a very hard time containing Nylander and Jagr. But you can bet that if we play Ottawa, Jagr is not going to have one second without Fisher, or Neil, or Volchenkov, or Phillips in his face.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I'd rather play Buffalo than Ottawa. Buffalo is very fast and deep offensively, but they don't have any players that are scary on the defensive side. I think they would have a very hard time containing Nylander and Jagr. But you can bet that if we play Ottawa, Jagr is not going to have one second without Fisher, or Neil, or Volchenkov, or Phillips in his face.
Two important factors you're leaving out - coach & goalie. Buffalo has them beat, so do we for that matter.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Two important factors you're leaving out - coach & goalie. Buffalo has them beat, so do we for that matter.
Yeah, Buffalo is better than Ottawa in those areas, but I don't see us losing this year based on goaltending or coaching. I've held a higher opinion of Renney than most posters here (at least, until recently) and Lundqvist is the best goalie in the East with Brodeur playing like he is. My main worries about this team are being completely outgunned and having our top players shut down. Buffalo could do the former, but Ottawa could do both, and that's what worries me.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Not to take anything away from Buffalo, I believe Ottawa is the tougher matchup due to their physical play. Buffalo is more of a quick skilled team but not as gritty.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-19-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Not to take anything away from Buffalo, I believe Ottawa is the tougher matchup due to their physical play. Buffalo is more of a quick skilled team but not has gritty.
I agree. I fear Ottawa more. But I think we have a good chance against either.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Chimp

Ottawa or Buffalo?

I know there's a thread about it, but I would like to see it in pure numbers:
Which team do you prefer to face in the second round of the playoffs? Ottawa, or Buffalo?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I know there's a thread about it, but I would like to see it in pure numbers:
Which team do you prefer to face in the second round of the playoffs? Ottawa, or Buffalo?
Gotta go with Ottawa.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote