HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers' success good for NHL

Old
04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
I disagree completely. If the Rangers win the next there Stanley Cups, ratings in NYC and AROUND the country would improve significantly...
Exactly. Maybe there wouldn't be any more markets watching the games, but the sheer volume of people in NY means that there would more television sets tuned into the games.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how some people are disputing the fact that having the biggest market in the country interested in the playoffs isn't good for the league.
I tend to agree with you....in my post above, I definitely do agree with you. Just playing devils advocate (no pun intended), why do you think that the Subway Series between the Mets and Yankees in 2000 did so poorly on a national level with tv ratings? If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the worst viewed World Series in a while nationally..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:22 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I tend to agree with you....in my post above, I definitely do agree with you. Just playing devils advocate (no pun intended), why do you think that the Subway Series between the Mets and Yankees in 2000 did so poorly on a national level with tv ratings? If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the worst viewed World Series in a while nationally..
I was referring more to silly's posts (sorry for not specifying that).

You're right, the rest of the country doesn't really care about the NY area. Although I think the ratings for the 2000 WS had more to do with the notion that everyone was sick of the Skanks combined with the fact that no one gave the Mets much of a shot.

And even so, the All-Cali series two years later (Angels-Giants) did even worse.

In general though, it's better for fledgling league if they can trump the teams that will draw the most fans.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the world series has just been in a general decline over the years, it wasn't the specifics of it being a subway series that gave it a poor ratings share.

Hockey really never was as popular as it was in the early 90s with Gretzky in LA making it to the finals and beating Howe's goal record and Messier in NY winning the Cup, MVP and 2 president's trophies. A lot of that credit goes to them, but some of it has to go to Disney for The Mighty Ducks movies, too.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
Great article by Micheal Farber on CNNsi.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...d-for-nhl.html

It is true, the NHL needs the Rangers to succeed. Gotta keep winning for the league to survive
In the US true, however, hockey will never die in Canada!

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I was referring more to silly's posts (sorry for not specifying that).

You're right, the rest of the country doesn't really care about the NY area. Although I think the ratings for the 2000 WS had more to do with the notion that everyone was sick of the Skanks combined with the fact that no one gave the Mets much of a shot.

And even so, the All-Cali series two years later (Angels-Giants) did even worse.

In general though, it's better for fledgling league if they can trump the teams that will draw the most fans.
Trust me, I'm with you..I would LOVE to see another Ranger Devils ECF..it would be amazing..but we have a lot of work to do before that..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

It does seem like the local area is starting to take notice and that's a good thing for hockey.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
I see Devils jerseys here at RU alot... hell even saw someone sporting a Jags today on the bus!

However, this thread should be re-titled: "Rangers' success good for NHL in NY/tri-state area."

It's the area they affect the most directly, and the area where most people who actually care about the team live... and hence generate the ratings, and such that allow one to guage success in terms of dollars and numbers.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Gillies View Post
the sad thing is - you probably really do believe that.

the fact is, even if the Rangers were to win the next 3 cups, the US tv ratings would be basically where they are now - in the toilet.

be happy your team is doing well. but the delusion is downright scary.
Sorry, I didn't know I had to put a sarcastic smiley every time I make a sarcastic comment for people to understand what I'm trying to say... I believe it will help but it isn't crucial for the league's survival...

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

7 of the 16 teams going into the playoffs are the top 10 in attendance. The 3 that missed it? Toronto and Montreal (who barely missed it) and Philly(who missed it by a long shot). Honestly, any of those top 10 teams in terms of attendance need to do good for the success of the NHL. Of course I don't know how TV ratings are for each team. But this definitely does help the NHL.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:58 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
7 of the 16 teams going into the playoffs are the top 10 in attendance. The 3 that missed it? Toronto and Montreal (who barely missed it) and Philly(who missed it by a long shot). Honestly, any of those top 10 teams in terms of attendance need to do good for the success of the NHL. Of course I don't know how TV ratings are for each team. But this definitely does help the NHL.
It could be argued (and probably proven) that the only time that hockey rivaled any of the other "big 3" in popularity (in the states of course) in the past 20 years is when the Rangers won the cup. Anyone disagreeing, prove me wrong. Even SI had an article about it.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:30 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
It could be argued (and probably proven) that the only time that hockey rivaled any of the other "big 3" in popularity (in the states of course) in the past 20 years is when the Rangers won the cup. Anyone disagreeing, prove me wrong. Even SI had an article about it.
Without a doubt...it was the perfect combination of events (MLB Strike, NHL receiving the Nascar treatment) and FOX's ratings nearly being double than NBC's right now show it right there.

While much is made of the being a top four sport, both the NFL and the MLB are untouchable.

But if any sport should be in the crosshairs of the NHL, it is the NBA. With basically an identical season, playoffs, and ticket price structure, this is the sport for the NHL to hope to overtake and steal fans from.

While the NBA's urban support won't realistically be poached, the NBA's middle-class, suburban contingent is ripe for the picking. The NBA sports a few major advantages, especially in the marketing of personalities.

But with it's insane capsystem, and a game that I personally prefer to watch on TV than in person (where the NHL boasts the exact opposite), I really hope the NHL focuses it's efforts in closing the ground between the NBA and NHL.

Actually, one of the few things that no one talks about but is integral for basketball is gambling. The NHL should throw its weight around to not only get Rick Tocchett off the hook, but make him the league "gambling lines czar" in Las Vegas. Embrace it...believe me, ratings at the OTB are the same as at a home, and at least in gambling, you would see people actually interested in the outcome of a Columbus-Nashville game.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

Not so good for Atlanta though!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:00 PM
chosen

It doesn't help at all long term, only short term.

Hockey will remain a 2nd tier sport in America and that's just fine with me. I'm not interested in getting everyone to like it. I want to enjoy it and I do.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
boredmale

i have to think the NHL would salivate at the thought of a Rangers/Red Wings final

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:21 PM
bw5126

Send a message via AIM to bw5126
Quote:
Thats a terrible comparison.
When one New York team makes it usually the whole New York turns in which is huge, and the rest of the country tunes in to root against New York.
In an all New York world Series its lose-lose and the rest of the country doesnt care.
Its obviously good for the league if the Rangers go deep into the playoffs its not even an argument, yes I understand people who are not Rangers fans and can't stand to root for them want to stupidly argue this point, but its not debatable.

bw5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 12:03 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=346372

It's all been discussed here.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Fist of Gillies

The original poster said that the Rangers need to keep winning for the league to survive. My reply simply stated that he's delusional if he believed that. (didn't catch the sarcasm, my bad)

IS it better for the league if the Rangers do well? Perhaps nominally, it wouldn't hurt, but it really won't move the needle. (Look at the Ranger ratings compared to any other sport - the creme of the locals is still an afterthought on the local sports landscape).

For the NHL to thrive, it needs STARS above and beyond everything. And even with the likes of Gretzky and Lemeuiex in their primes, the league was a distant 4th in terms of major sports.

The problem isn't that the major market teams are not winning. The problem may be that the league has way too many teams competing. How can you draw a national following to a sport that is so utterly fragmented?

Fist of Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote