HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Future is at stake is all..

Old
04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volntitan View Post
Craig Leipold is of questionable ethics? Really? How so. I have met him a number of times (he is an active alumnus of the college my daughter attends) and find him to be very down to earth. He has made no bones about his concern about the lack of corporate support.

I am concerned that we will have finished 2 years in a row as one and done. It does hurt this franchise bad...no way around it. At best, we will see a cleaning house of the coaching staff. I love Trotzy, but your team is an extension of the head coach and it is time we get a little more fire.
Because, in Fission's mind, his single vote against a new schedule was the lone reason that it didn't get changed. In his mind, there was a room of people trying to reason with him, and he stubbornly refused, for fear of the financial and success-oriented ramifications.

Also, he's "holding the city hostage."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:40 PM
volntitan

PUH-LEESE

I find Mr. Leipold to be very engaging. He invited the parents in the Nashville area whose children attend his alma mater to dinner and a game. The one thing that is very obvious is that he loves this team so if he voted against something, he absolutely had his team in mind.

volntitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:50 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Because, in Fission's mind, his single vote against a new schedule was the lone reason that it didn't get changed. In his mind, there was a room of people trying to reason with him, and he stubbornly refused, for fear of the financial and success-oriented ramifications.

Also, he's "holding the city hostage."
And you have quotes of me saying those thing, or are you just generalizing what others said and applying it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Oh, do tell.
Anyhow, the first "strange" thing about Leipold that rubbed me wrong was back in 1997. Remember the 3 names that fans were voting on for the franchise? Ice Tigers, Fury, and Attack. Leipold personally included the Predators just before the big Ice Breaker Bash. Granted, those other names did suck and it is his team, but it just seemed strange that he unilaterally added a 4th name to the process when the other three were the top choices in the first round of voting. Is it wrong? Not really, but it had a bad feel to it, like it was rigging an election. Most might find it innocent, but it just felt off to me.

I also rankled a bit last winter when he kept saying he had to sell 40% of the team for $50mil. That one really looked bad. The franchise fee for the Preds was $80mil and $25mil of that was paid by the city of Nashville. So if he sold part of the team, the city gets nothing and he'd own 60% for nothing more that $5mil out of pocket. I could see that if it had been 20-30 years later, but this isn't evena decade later. It looks like nothing other than trying to cash in after less than 10 years when the franchise is at a high-point as far as on-ice developments. Couching it as a "way to attract local business support" is ugly. Has he really destroyed any relationship with corporate Nashville so thoroughly in 10 years that it requires an outside partner to mend the fence? I have a hard time accepting that he and/or the franchise burned bridges so completely in such a short period of time.

Last edited by FissionFire: 04-19-2007 at 04:18 PM.
FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Anyhow, the first "strange" thing about Leipold that rubbed me wrong was back in 1997. Remember the 3 names that fans were voting on for the franchise? Ice Tigers, Fury, and Attack. Leipold personally included the Predators just before the big Ice Breaker Bash. Granted, those other names did suck and it is his team, but it just seemed strange that he unilaterally added a 4th name to the process when the other three were the top choices in the first round of voting. Is it wrong? Not really, but it had a bad feel to it, like it was rigging an election. Most might find it innocent, but it just felt off to me.

I also rankled a bit last winter when he kept saying he had to sell 40% of the team for $50mil. That one really looked bad. The franchise fee for the Preds was $80mil and $25mil of that was paid by the city of Nashville. So if he sold part of the team, the city gets nothing and he'd own 60% for nothing more that $5mil out of pocket. I could see that if it had been 20-30 years later, but this isn't evena decade later. It looks like nothing other than trying to cash in after less than 10 years when the franchise is at a high-point as far as on-ice developments. Couching it as a "way to attract local business support" is ugly. Has he really destroyed any relationship with corporate Nashville so thoroughly in 10 years that it requires an outside partner to mend the fence? I have a hard time accepting that he and/or the franchise burned bridges so completely in such a short period of time.
So in other words, you have no evidence of this questionable activities, just two instances of events that you feel make him questionable based on your interpretation of the event?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
wow

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
volntitan

Are you kidding me? You are whining about the voting of the name?

I worked for the Post Production house that did all the TV ads for the unnamed (at the time) NHL team. The name Predators was included because they (the agency, Dye Van Mol) had done a ton of focus group studies and the name Predators was overwhelming the favorite of the focus groups. They decided to add that name to the public vote list because it was the best name....

And in the end...who cares? Leipold had 100% absolute right to name the team. You are stretching.

Old
04-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I'd rather be the predators than any of the other names.

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:52 PM
DarkShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Biggest problem with the Preds IMO is as follows:
  1. The fact two 50 win teams meet in the first round. The League needs to eliminate the automatic seeding for the Division winners. With that, you are on to round two probably (and this series is not over yet BTW.)
  2. See #1.
The team is a well built team. I might argue Trotz has outlived his usefulness. I can't remember an expansion coach that got his team deep into the Playoffs. But if they can continue to play good hockey and promote the team, they should be successful.
They are in a weak division though, so it's reasonable to argue that the Ducks' 110 points with less points, or the Canucks' 105 points, was a tougher accomplishment than the Preds' 110 points and 51 wins.

Another thing to consider is that Nashville was 30 seconds away from playing Dallas until Marleau tied the game in the regular season finale against Vancouver. I'm pretty confident that Nashville would have beaten Dallas in the 1st round, and I'm not so sure how we would have done against Vancouver. So that was definitely a break for us and a bad break for Nashville. However even if you'd won the first round, the team is definitely not good enough to win the cup, because eventually you're going to have to play a tough, physical, balanced team and beat them. Nashville can beat one-dimensional teams but has a tough time against balanced teams. If I was GM I'd let Kariya leave and try to sign someone who at least can play well in the playoffs. Preferrably a winger of imposing stature to play with Arnott. I can't think of all the free agent wingers off the top of my head but I'm sure there's someone.

Also, Trotz really should have put Vishnevski out there in game 4. The Predators need someone to counter the Sharks' physicality and he's the best guy they have left to do it. Even if it means taking annother cheap shot and getting everyone pissed off again, that's what got you the win in game 2, so take out Zanon who doesn't do very much and try a different look.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
taking annother cheap shot and getting everyone pissed off again, that's what got you the win in game 2
Or maybe it was the five goals...

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
They are in a weak division though, so it's reasonable to argue that the Ducks' 110 points with less points, or the Canucks' 105 points, was a tougher accomplishment than the Preds' 110 points and 51 wins.
Debatable.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is that Nashville was 30 seconds away from playing Dallas until Marleau tied the game in the regular season finale against Vancouver. I'm pretty confident that Nashville would have beaten Dallas in the 1st round, and I'm not so sure how we would have done against Vancouver.
You don't really know much about the Predators and it shows here. We matchup poorly against the Stars. The teams we struggled with the most during the regular season were all defensive minded teams (Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota). Nashville doesn't match up well with Dallas and we would have probably been swept.

Quote:
So that was definitely a break for us and a bad break for Nashville. However even if you'd won the first round, the team is definitely not good enough to win the cup, because eventually you're going to have to play a tough, physical, balanced team and beat them. Nashville can beat one-dimensional teams but has a tough time against balanced teams.
Judging by what? Which one-dimensional teams have we fed off of and which "balanced" teams have we struggled with?

Quote:
If I was GM I'd let Kariya leave and try to sign someone who at least can play well in the playoffs. Preferrably a winger of imposing stature to play with Arnott.
While Kariya hasn't played well this playoff series, he was our only good player in last year's playoff series. While that doesn't mean I'd automatically resign him if "I were the GM", to say he can't play well in the playoffs is a stretch. Funny you mention Arnott though, he has been a no show for us and it was one of his biggest knocks when we signed him (sans his Cup winning goal).

Quote:
Also, Trotz really should have put Vishnevski out there in game 4. The Predators need someone to counter the Sharks' physicality and he's the best guy they have left to do it.
And get called for everytime he breathes on a Shark? Our team was afraid to cough in game 3 because of the way the refs have called the series, so I'm sure that factored into Trotz's thinking.

Quote:
Even if it means taking annother cheap shot and getting everyone pissed off again,
Sigh.

Quote:
that's what got you the win in game 2, so take out Zanon who doesn't do very much and try a different look.
Zanon isn't the perfect player and makes mistakes, but he's been much more effective then Zidlicky. I don't see Vishnevski doing anything to take over Zanon's job, which is killing penalties and blocking shots.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 04-19-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
volntitan

I will have to agree on one thing. Trotz should be playing Vishnevski. I don't know why we even got this guy. All the talk is how the Sharks are dominating our defensemen in our zone and the one guy who is big enough, strong enough and experienced enough to help out is Vishnevski. But Trotz for some reason thinks Z is the man. It always seems to be one player that for some reason doesn't play in the playoffs for some head scratching reason.

Old
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
PredDave

I know hindsight is 20-20 and all that crap, but can you imagine if we had kept Belanger instead of Vishnevski. Granted, Trotz would have probably benched Belanger for the entire series as well, but that extra depth in the scoring department might have helped with the loss of Sully....

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I know hindsight is 20-20 and all that crap, but can you imagine if we had kept Belanger instead of Vishnevski. Granted, Trotz would have probably benched Belanger for the entire series as well, but that extra depth in the scoring department might have helped with the loss of Sully....
That's all well and good, but I think Vishnevski has gotten a raw deal.

It would stand to reason that a 6'2, 220 pound defenseman might come in handy against a team who is so obviously outclassing us in the size department.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
That's all well and good, but I think Vishnevski has gotten a raw deal.

It would stand to reason that a 6'2, 220 pound defenseman might come in handy against a team who is so obviously outclassing us in the size department.
From what I can gather Vish not only hasn't meshed with the coaching staff, he hasn't meshed "in the room" as well, for whatever reason[s].

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
From what I can gather Vish not only hasn't meshed with the coaching staff, he hasn't meshed "in the room" as well, for whatever reason[s].
I'd have a hard time "meshing" if I was benched after two games with my new team.

Old
04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So in other words, you have no evidence of this questionable activities, just two instances of events that you feel make him questionable based on your interpretation of the event?
I simply provided two examples that I'd be able to provide links for if asked. There's plenty more (most of it from his political involvement in Wisconsin) things I've read or heard that seemed "off" to me but I didn't feel like writing up a 10,000 word essay on the subject.

Really, I don't need to be defending myself here. Go back to the original post and you'll see I stated then that it was IMO (in my opinion) and I never stated my feelings as facts or absolutes. I only expanded upon it because SmokeyClause requested something more specific. Jump on me all you want, but my opinion is my opinion and I'm not out trying to change anyones opinion of Craig Leipold in a Predators forum. I'm sure there are people who might be classless or shady IYO (in your opinion) that I wouldn't agree with but that doesn't make either of us wrong in our opinions/interpretations.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Agent_Torpor

Quote:

Anyhow, the first "strange" thing about Leipold that rubbed me wrong was back in 1997. Remember the 3 names that fans were voting on for the franchise? Ice Tigers, Fury, and Attack.
I.
If those were the top vote-getters, you should be thanking Leipold for stepping in an overriding them. Wow. Those names are too bush-league for a mites league.

Agent_Torpor is offline   Reply With Quote