Ellis to Start Tonight!

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Ellis to Start Tonight!

It will be interesting to see what this kid has got. If he performs well tonight he could be some major trade bait. Lets just hope that Turco gets to rest for the entire game this time :ahem: Tugnutt sucks :ahem: . This is a ballsy move on for the Stars because tonights game is just about as big as they get for this time of the year. Please win this one guys.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:56 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

You guys will enjoy watching him play, he was fun to watch down here in Idaho and he deserves to be in the NHL, but part of me wishes he was still with the Steelheads (we're sucking it up lately)

Old
02-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Dallasman

Wow...Turco does need the rest. Let's really see what this kid has. I wonder why Tippett has finally decided to give Turco a rest?

Well....good luck to him tonight

Old
02-18-2004, 11:23 PM
lancerzrule

Ellis

Anyone have any comments on Ellis? I'm interested to see how he did tonight, not having access to the game tonight and having the chance to watch him play in Omaha for a few years. Hope he does well!

Old
02-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Famous Flames

Ellis played well tonight. He was tentative to start and then really got his swagger in the 3rd. Looked like NHL material.

Turco was the first guy out to congratulate him on the win too.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerzrule
Anyone have any comments on Ellis? I'm interested to see how he did tonight, not having access to the game tonight and having the chance to watch him play in Omaha for a few years. Hope he does well!
Though I'm partial to Ellis myself, it was hard to blame him for any of the three goals he let in tonight. The first being a perfect shot right off a faceoff from Robataille, the second was scored off a rebound that he gave up after the initial shot was tipped by Klemm on the way in, and the third was deflected in by Zubov as he tried to cut off a pass.

His big gaffes came early when he misplayed the puck behind the net (definitely his weak point) and when he didn't catch the puck cleanly and lost it underneath him. Other than that, he was pretty good, though I do think that he'd like that second goal back.

I love his positioning and size (he's going to be affected by new goaltender equipment regs, methinks...looks way bigger on the ice than in person). Though it's clear he's not ready for full time NHL duty yet, I wouldn't have a problem with him backing up Turco right now. He looks much more reliable than Smith or Bacashihua at this point, and I (like many Dallas fans) just have no faith in Tugnutt anymore.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:23 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
Though I'm partial to Ellis myself, it was hard to blame him for any of the three goals he let in tonight. The first being a perfect shot right off a faceoff from Robataille, the second was scored off a rebound that he gave up after the initial shot was tipped by Klemm on the way in, and the third was deflected in by Zubov as he tried to cut off a pass.

His big gaffes came early when he misplayed the puck behind the net (definitely his weak point) and when he didn't catch the puck cleanly and lost it underneath him. Other than that, he was pretty good, though I do think that he'd like that second goal back.

I love his positioning and size (he's going to be affected by new goaltender equipment regs, methinks...looks way bigger on the ice than in person). Though it's clear he's not ready for full time NHL duty yet, I wouldn't have a problem with him backing up Turco right now. He looks much more reliable than Smith or Bacashihua at this point, and I (like many Dallas fans) just have no faith in Tugnutt anymore.
Awesome to hear (for Ellis at least) that he had a good game, bad for us Steelhead fans that wanna make the playoffs in the ECHL

Btw his positioning and size were the two big +'s I saw of him when I watched him play down here. He was almos always in perfect position for the puck, very impressive.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:27 PM
PuckFrinceton

Ellis trade bate?

Old
02-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I saw about the last half of the game last night. Ellis was terrific. That awesome he glove possessed at UNO is still there (and has gotten better!).

Congrats on the win. Good going, Dan!

Old
02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFrinceton
Ellis trade bate?
I'm tending to lean towards no right now. It seems to me that Bacashihua is the one that they might be trying to wash their hands of.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:48 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
I'm tending to lean towards no right now. It seems to me that Bacashihua is the one that they might be trying to wash their hands of.
If I were in control of Dallas, no way would I want to get rid of Cash. Despite all of his short-comings, that's the guy that could really come back to bite Dallas square in the ass. Loads of unrealised potential just doesn't sound like trade bait to me.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:20 AM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
If I were in control of Dallas, no way would I want to get rid of Cash. Despite all of his short-comings, that's the guy that could really come back to bite Dallas square in the ass. Loads of unrealised potential just doesn't sound like trade bait to me.
Well, when you have arguably the second best goalie in the league, behind Brodeur, its hard for it to come back to haunt us. Unless of course Cash turns out to be a better goalie than Turco(highly unlikely), than it doesn't matter to us because for now we are content with having the second best goalie in the league.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Really, not many teams are looking for young goalies anyway, so I doubt they'd get much value out of anything.

And I wouldn't trade Cash yet either. With goalies, sometimes you just don't know until they're 25 or so just exactly what you have on your hands.

However, Ellis making his first NHL start before Cash may be the kick in the but the egomaniac needs to realize that he has to work and earn his way to the NHL. IMO, the Stars have two you goalies that are better than Bacashihua right now (Ellis and Stephan before he was hurt), and they aren't far behind him in terms of potential. If he doesn't put in the effort to improve, he will get left behind.

Closed Thread