HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense pairings

Old
04-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Noonan25

vCash: 500
Defense pairings

Next year I know we are still in the run for the cup...

But Staal is ready... and whose spot does he take... also I think the rangers will go after a true number 1 defender...

the way i see it ending up is...

FA pickup/ Tyutin
Mara/ Staal
Rosival/ Giradi...

so i am saying bye to Malek and trade rachunek

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:18 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
so i am saying bye to Malek and trade rachunek
I've been a Malik critic in the past, but he has actually been pretty darn good in the playoffs and in the month or so leading up to the playoffs.

Also, where does Pock fit in?

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Levitate

Malik isn't going anywhere...he still has another year on his contract and has been playing well enough lately that there's no way the coaches want him gone.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Rachunek...I wouldn't mind seeing a trade somewhere, but I expect the Rangers to be pretty careful going into next year.

Who are the FA's available this year on D? I'm not sure they should go for anyone who isn't a true #1. Might as well stick with Tyutin, Mara, Rozsival, Girardi, Malik and Pock/Staal/Rachunek.

No point in getting another 3/4 guy since the lineup is already filled with them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
As mentioned, Malik has a contract for next season. And I really don't think that Sather or Renney have any desire to trade him.

04-19-2007, 09:43 AM
bmw2004

I think when Rachunek healthy he has to replace Pock.
Wat do you guys think?

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:44 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I think when Rachunek healthy he has to replace Pock.
Wat do you guys think?
Not sure what to think... I could see it happening, but Pock has looked alright to me. Definitely better than I would have expected.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I'm certain it's going to be Pock and Rachunek as the odd guys out. As SBOB said, there seems to be no desire to trade him. If he was on their good side at his worst, there's no reason to think he'll be gone now.

Roszival-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Mara
Pock/Rachunek

I wouldn't mind one or even both of Pock/Rachunek being traded at the draft.

Old
04-19-2007, 10:33 AM
schmieder44

If its buffalo they have some great team speed which will be a challenge for our lumbering defensemen. I would prefer pock at this point over Rachunek only from a rust and a speed point of view.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:46 AM
ruckus*

Malik has been absolutely superb in the postseason so far. And I'm usually one of his biggest critics. Since he started to win some battles along the boards, or atleast hold players up in a battle while Rosi or someone can come in and get the puck, he's been great. No sloppy passes coming out of the defensive zone that he used to do so much earlier in the year that led to turnovers and scoring chances. He's been calm with the puck, and looks completely in control. His passing out of the defensive zone is a very overlooked strength. Great job so far Marek (knock on wood!)

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Ola

Its to early to tell. Playing Buffalo or Ottawa really will give us a hint who can get the job done or not.

I am a bit uncertain on Mara for example. We will see. Wait two weeks and it will be much easier to speculate.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Its to early to tell. Playing Buffalo or Ottawa really will give us a hint who can get the job done or not.

I am a bit uncertain on Mara for example. We will see. Wait two weeks and it will be much easier to speculate.
Ola, Mara's fine. He quietly flies under the radar and doesn't make you notice him until he unleashes one of his slappers. Just to go back to being quiet. That is a good quality in a defenseman. He's not overly physical, doesn't get beat badly, supports the play well, he's just solid to me. Nothing spectacular but damn good for a third pairing D.

I have to admit, I've always loved Fedor, but man do I have a crush on his game now that it's matured. He's just a great player. And to think, Girardi looks a little like a young Toots. YIKES

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I think the D (and the forwards too) are going to remain essentially unchanged next season. Rachunek might get traded, and we can see if Staal or Baranka can beat out Pock for a spot, but that's it. Malik stays, despite the protests of some fans. He's better than he's given credit for, and it seems like the staff and front office love him.

I don't see a FA pickup either, if only because there is no one that good who is available. I wouldn't break the bank for Souray, and he's the cream of the crop this offseason.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Noonan25

Giradi could be the alternate as well....

FA #1 D-man/ Tyutin
Rosi/ Staal
Malek/ Mara

Giradi/Racunek alternates...

I can see that as well

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
Giradi could be the alternate as well....

FA #1 D-man/ Tyutin
Rosi/ Staal
Malek/ Mara

Giradi/Racunek alternates...

I can see that as well
there is no way girardi is going to be an alternate ... hes playing 18 mins a night in the playoffs and hes been basically flawless .... hes a complete keeper

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieder44 View Post
If its buffalo they have some great team speed which will be a challenge for our lumbering defensemen. I would prefer pock at this point over Rachunek only from a rust and a speed point of view.
Other than getting up to game speed, Rachunek is far more fleet-footed, especially in backwards skating than Pock.

While indeed a difficult task, it was Pock that Kovalchuk blew by on the outside to set up the 1st goal yesterday.

The absolutely scary thing about Karel Rachunek is his Ozo factor. While playing well, he's 10x the player compared to Pock. But, when he makes mistakes, they are glaring and I fear they will be game and series turners like Sandis in NJ last year.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Smoky The Greek

Our defense has been wonderful for the last 3 months.

Even Rachunek, before going down.

Pock has stepped up, and proved he can play somewhat consistently in this league, and on this team. He's chipped in some timely goals as well. Exactly what we've been looking for from our D all season long.

How do you not keep this kid on the team?

The Toots/Girardi pairing should be cemented in our line-up for the next decade. Two hardworking, smart players that play like veterans.

Mara will be a Ranger for awhile. He is everything we want in a defenseman. Size, speed, can pass and shoot. Isn't a pushover either.

Rozy has been our unsung hero, in my opinion. The guy gets battered more than any Ranger, and gets less recognition for what he does. He's been a rock!

Malik is slow, and makes mistakes quite often. He's been great so far in the playoffs, and is the veteran leader of our defense. He's also on contract for one more season.

I don't see Rachunek being a Ranger for long. Not with Pock stepping up, and Staal being ready. He seems to be the odd-man out, for next season.

Smoky The Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Paul Mara-$3,000,000
Marek Malik-$2,500,000
Michal Roszival-$2,100,000

All 3 players are signed for next season and are group III's in 2008

Fedor Tyutin-$987,500
Dan Girardi-$750,000

Both players are signed for next season and are group II's in 2008

Thomas Pock-$667,500

Signed through 2008-09

Karel Rachunek-$1,800,000 QO/Group II this summer

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
NYROrtsFan

Malik is going nowhere so lets start there...

Comes down to:

Rozy Malik
Tyutin Girardi
Mara

That 6th spot could be Staal or Pock.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
chosen

Right now Malik is our best defenseman, bar none.

It doesn't mean he is the best going forward but right now he is playing perfect defense with not a single mistake in the 4 games. In Game 4 he had some spectacular passes.

He might stink out the joint in the next round but I doubt it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
TomLaidlaw

Pock is playing with a ton of confidence right now. He looks leetch'esque the way he has been carrying the puck into the other teams zone.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Right now Malik is our best defenseman, bar none.

It doesn't mean he is the best going forward but right now he is playing perfect defense with not a single mistake in the 4 games. In Game 4 he had some spectacular passes.

He might stink out the joint in the next round but I doubt it.
This is why we can't have these conversations. 99% of the posts are fair and honest and this comes out. No one has played perfect as in zero mistakes. He's had a few turnovers, he had some poor coverage in the final minute of Game 1 where he missed a check and did a 360 for no reason and he has taken a penalty in the final minute of 2 close games.

I've riden Malik all season but he's looked great over the last month and pretty solid in the playoffs but I'll give the nod to Roszival as our best D-man. I also doubt Malik will just stink up the joint for no reason next round. Girardi and Mara have been playing great as well. Girardi is especially impressive since he struggled in the first game, it's important that he can stumble and recover and actually play even better than he has all season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Black Tank

If Pock continues to display that ability to skate the puck out of the zone against a speedier, skilled team like Buffalo or Ottowa, then his value goes way, way up.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
This is why we can't have these conversations. 99% of the posts are fair and honest and this comes out. No one has played perfect as in zero mistakes. He's had a few turnovers, he had some poor coverage in the final minute of Game 1 where he missed a check and did a 360 for no reason and he has taken a penalty in the final minute of 2 close games.

I've riden Malik all season but he's looked great over the last month and pretty solid in the playoffs but I'll give the nod to Roszival as our best D-man. I also doubt Malik will just stink up the joint for no reason next round. Girardi and Mara have been playing great as well. Girardi is especially impressive since he struggled in the first game, it's important that he can stumble and recover and actually play even better than he has all season.
One of those penalties could have prevented a goal. Sometimes you're supposed to take a penalty. Maybe you didn't know that already.

Malik has not been beaten one on one a single time in the postseason. A few times Kovalchuk tried to circle him to the outside and Malik denied him each time which is pretty amazing for someone often referred to as a pylon here.

He has played flawlessly in advancing the puck out of the zone, especially in Games 3and 4, and has even shown us some offensive flair. At some point everyone is going to have to realize that Malik is with Jagr's group for a reason. It's because he fits in perfectly in that group. In another setting it wouldn't be nearly as smooth for Malik.

Mara has been beaten a couple of times and surprisingly has shown very little physical play. Girardi has been bumped off the puck a few times (at least once by Holik) but he is a rookie and has otherwise performed very well. Pock has been beaten a few times and has been manhandled a couple of times, once leading to a penalty (I'm still not sold on him). Rosy has made a few gaffes as well, not many, nothing major, but a few. The kinds that would cause boos to rain down on Malik from the Garden ignorant.

Since you chose to nitpick I decided it was fair to nitpick everything, not just Malik.

Yeah, technically Malik hasn't been perfect but no player I've ever seen has played a perfect game. Not Orr, Gretzky, Stevens or whomever, so you'll have to forgive my use of that particular word.

The defense has played very well as a whole and whether or not you allow your personal problems with Malik to leak into the conversation, no one has played it better for the Rangers so far than Malik.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Mara has been beaten a couple of times and surprisingly has shown very little physical play. Girardi has been bumped off the puck a few times (at least once by Holik) but he is a rookie and has otherwise performed very well. Pock has been beaten a few times and has been manhandled a couple of times, once leading to a penalty (I'm still not sold on him). Rosy has made a few gaffes as well, not many, nothing major, but a few. The kinds that would cause boos to rain down on Malik from the Garden ignorant.

Guys, we need to stop focusing so much on Mara's Shot. If you forget about his great shot for just one minute and focus on his game overall, Mara really is A LOT like Poti. Both are big, yet very soft on D, both lose their man rather easily in the defensive zone, both tend to just skate straight ahead without much change in direction. Basically, Mara, like Poti, is a rather limited player in what he can offer...he just happens to have a good shot and Poti doesn't. I don't think that is enough to pay a guy $3 million when you have younger,better options for less.

I would be very happy to trade both Mara and Rachunek for picks...thus freeing up cap room to re-sign guys like Lundqvist and Nylander...while giving your young D a spot.

My D pairings for next season:
Roszival-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Pock
Baranka

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Malik isn't going anywhere...he still has another year on his contract and has been playing well enough lately that there's no way the coaches want him gone.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Rachunek...I wouldn't mind seeing a trade somewhere, but I expect the Rangers to be pretty careful going into next year.

Who are the FA's available this year on D? I'm not sure they should go for anyone who isn't a true #1. Might as well stick with Tyutin, Mara, Rozsival, Girardi, Malik and Pock/Staal/Rachunek.

No point in getting another 3/4 guy since the lineup is already filled with them.
Sarich and Vishnevski are ufa, i think we should get a hitter defenive type. Sarich and Mara played as a pair on the Bolts. Scott Hannan is another ufa who id want.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote