HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Wildbeliefs

vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro

Hi everyone. A Habs fan here, and I was just curious as to what fans of other teams think Mike Ribeiro is worth at the moment...

This guy was pretty much inexistant up until this season, but he's been given a chance this year and has been centering Montreal's second line. He is leading the team in points.

Habs fans are pretty bipolar about this guy: either they love him or they hate him. So it'd be nice to get an outside opinion for once... what do you think of him? In terms of trade value, what do you think he's worth?

Thanks in advance.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I suspect 2nd line centre is all he ever will be. Good hands but a bit small. When he gets more attention from the other team he looks far worse.

I could of course be wrong and he is an emerging superstar.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:28 AM
markov`

Mike Ribeiro is a rising star. At the beginning of the year, he was horrible in his own zone. Yesterday, against Calgary when the net was empty, his line (Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder) was on the ice to protect the lead. His defensive play was amazing.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Moose Head

He's playing in the wrong decade. He would have been a 100pt star in the 80's. But with the way hockey is played nowadays, he will likely never be more than a second line center.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Wildbeliefs

Ok, so you guys are saying that he'll be nothing more than a second line center. I don't think that's so bad...

My question to you is this: would you feel comfortable having him as *your* 2nd line center? If he were offered, would you be interested in acquiring him?

Old
02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
4shelley4

hi

I would say this year Ribs hasn't been a streaky player, he's been vary great every game, though there was the 'odd' game he didn't look like he showed up to play. Someone said it right when they said he'd be a great player for the 80's. I think he reminds me of the Rocket. I know they are big words to say but just his not so great skating but beautiful hands. Let's wait another year then talk about his value though.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:40 AM
tnq

he is not that bad, check the +/- for last night game
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/box_score.asp?...5&gameStatus=2

Old
02-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
So it'd be nice to get an outside opinion for once...
Sure would be :p

Old
02-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnq
he is not that bad, check the +/- for last night game
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/box_score.asp?...5&gameStatus=2
that i mean nothing , it's 1 game . Heck Quintal is +3 ...

Old
02-20-2004, 12:59 PM
godblessHabs

Send a message via MSN to godblessHabs
Just imagine Ribs between Bertuzzi and Naslund.....ouch

Old
02-20-2004, 01:00 PM
King of Kelvington

Ribs reminds me of a younger version of Yanic Perrault.

No better, no worse.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr

No better, no worse.
Hmmm... I'm no big fan of either, but could you explain that one to me? Aside from the fact they're both small and soft, I don't see it. They're two completely different players. Ribeiro's a playmaker oozing with offensive instincts and creativity. Perreault's an opportunistic sniper who couldn't pass or set up plays to save his life. Again, I don't see it.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
BBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr

No better, no worse.
Sorry but Perrault is scorer not good at passing.
Ribs is a great passer an can score 20 goal is vision
on the ice is great and play defence 3time
better than perrault and is still improving.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Tricolore#20

Ribeiro is a very talented player, perhaps the most talented player on the Habs behind Saks. He's got a lot of skill, and can beat players one on one.

My concern with him is that he seems kind of weak physically. He's easy to push off the puck, compared to other players, almost as if he doesnt have the muscle. I think Ribs can be a 70-80 pt players only if he puts on some more mass, otherwise I can see him breakdown at the end of every season.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Ribeiro is a very talented player, perhaps the most talented player on the Habs behind Saks. He's got a lot of skill, and can beat players one on one.

My concern with him is that he seems kind of weak physically. He's easy to push off the puck, compared to other players, almost as if he doesnt have the muscle. I think Ribs can be a 70-80 pt players only if he puts on some more mass, otherwise I can see him breakdown at the end of every season.
Small centers need something else to compensate, if you ask me. Either they have to have high energy, being physical for their size, great skating or great balance on the skates. There are probably other ways to compensate. I don't see Ribero compensating for his size well enough.

Second line centre and first PP line isn't that shabby though. He will probably produce at a decent rate in the future.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:02 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

Actually, when I saw Ribeiro play for the very first time, his play reminded me alot of a poor man's Gretzky...much like Gretz during his senior years (a la NYR)...real good vision and creativity...however even slower than Gretz at 37 years old...and that's SLOW!!!! This was way back in his junior days.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:09 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
Sorry but Perrault is scorer not good at passing.
Ribs is a great passer an can score 20 goal is vision
on the ice is great and play defence 3time
better than perrault and is still improving.
i meant his ceiling for career is no greater than yanic status, he may be better defensivly but who isnt nowadays in todays defense first NHL...bottom line, hes a number 2 center max IMO, third line center near by the time he hits his twighlight, by no means useless, but.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I suspect 2nd line centre is all he ever will be. Good hands but a bit small. When he gets more attention from the other team he looks far worse.

I could of course be wrong and he is an emerging superstar.
Well he is not that small he is 6 feet exactly, Source.com

Old
02-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of the Leafs
Well he is not that small he is 6 feet exactly, Source.com
He is one of the smallest guy around. I don't care if he's 6' or even 6'5", he's built like a little girl. 175lbs when he should be around 190lbs (if he ever got serious about his conditioning). The guy has virtually no muscle mass. The fact he can be on pace for a 60-70 pts season this year at 23yo with his frame is a testament to his incredible offensive skills. What a shame he couldn't work more seriously on his conditioning and skating, he could have become an all-star. But it will never happen now, too late.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
He is one of the smallest guy around. I don't care if he's 6' or even 6'5", he's built like a little girl. 175lbs when he should be around 190lbs (if he ever got serious about his conditioning). The guy has virtually no muscle mass. The fact he can be on pace for a 60-70 pts season this year at 23yo with his frame is a testament to his incredible offensive skills. What a shame he couldn't work more seriously on his conditioning and skating, he could have become an all-star. But it will never happen now, too late.
People rarely change. It's doubtful that Ribeiro is ever going to become a fitness freak but saying it will never happen and it's too late well I think that's going too far. He "could" surprise us. Altough I'd not bet my bacon on it. Let's hope that the confidence CJ is showing in him will rub off of him and give a reason to work harder.

Closed Thread