HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The unsong hero...

Old
04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
The unsong hero...

...every successful PO team got one. I haven't really noticed it before, but there is one player that haven't been talked about at all, who have gotten no credit for his tremendous work against Atlanta.

Martin Straka.

I truely belives that he have been one of the biggest factors for us. Right up there in the top 6-7 with Jagr, Lundqvist, Nyls, Roszival and Avery.

His positioning have been perfect. He have almost alone managed to lift the 2nd line. He is all over the ice, always with his stick on the ice prepaired to unload whoever got the puck.

He doesn't stand out much. But Matt Cullen wouldn't come close to get the same results as Straka have with the 2nd line. I doubt Nyls would either, and I am a big fan of him.

Avery and Shanny are two great player, role players. But after game 1 that line managed to push back every line they faced.

Allot of players have played well for us. Allot of players have gotten allot of credit. The reason everyone have played in positions where they can concentrate on what they do best. Thats the big accomplishment.

We haven't had a 2nd line where the players have gotten that opertunity in a long time. We do now, thanks to the work Straka have put in.

Avery and Shanny have been fantastic, in their roles. Though Avery haven't been forced to stick handle against a collected defense. Shanahan haven't been forced to try to create anything in speed battles of the rush. When that line have lost the puck Shanny have been able to dropp back right away but they still have been able to pressure the puck hard with Avery and Straka and have created allot of turnovers, when they haven't created turnovers Straka have still been the first player back helping out the D. Straka have found perfect routes on the transition game and have effectivly been able to set up controlled transition games. Thats gives them a opertunity to attack as a unit, and create pressure right away, as opposed to maybe sending off two guys on a rush with no back up to win battles for rebounds ect. Thats so important for that line, and something Cullen never where able to do. Cullen gets away with that on the line he is now since all 3 covers so much ice so fast, but that can't be done playing with Shanahan. He will be caught inbetween far to often.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Garv23

I think Straka is the best. The guy hustles his raisins off on every shift in every freakin' game!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:07 PM
WheresBarnaby

Good thread idea

I see your Straka's and raise you a Lundqvist. We would be nowhere without the king.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
FLYLine24*

There are so many unsung hero's that came out of round one..and that shows how "on/together (whatever you wanna call it)" this team is at the moment.

I could make a great case for Toots, Girardi, Betts...etc. Everyone has played their role perfect in the first round..some better then from the season, and that's why we easily rolled over ATL.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 04-19-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Don't know why I wrote Avery
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
FACEMAN

Unsung = Tyutin. He played great, points and steady D. Astonishing considering he just came back from injury.

FACEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
ruckus*

all of those guys are important. but when i think of the term unsung hero i just automatically think of blair betts. the guy does all the gritty little things that go unnoticed and under-appreciated but without them this team would not be where it is.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACEMAN View Post
Unsung = Tyutin. He played great, points and steady D. Astonishing considering he just came back from injury.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Onion Boy

I'm tempted to say Malik. He had a great series on both sides of the puck. He made so many smart little plays along the defensive boards that got us out of trouble.

The fact that we have so many guys who can be considered unsung heroes shows just how balanced we are. In fact, there is nobody on this roster who I would consider dispensable.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Malik did play very well this series.
I thought Prucha played very well even though he only had one point.
Callahan was great and so was Cullen. That 3rd line was exceptional IMO even though they didn't have as many points as the first two lines, something always seemed to be happening when they were on the ice.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I see your Straka's and raise you a Lundqvist. We would be nowhere without the king.
Lundqvist is hardly unsung.

I'll go with the two I mentioned in another thread: Girardi and Betts. Honorable mention to Paul Mara.

04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I'll go with the two I mentioned in another thread: Girardi and Betts. Honorable mention to Paul Mara.
Good call on Mara. He needs to get more PP time.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
danman1202

I'd say Malik.

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:34 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
I'd say Malik.
Malik... so far

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Screaming Banshee

I would say the entire D. They did a tremendous job in this series. Everyone from Rozi to Pock I felt contributed and really stepped up.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I think Girardi played great this series. The poise hes showing as a rookie has really earned him a lot of respect in my book. The guy looks like a 10 year veteran minus that bad giveaway in game 1.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Synergy27

Tyutin is very quietly leading all defenseman in the playoffs in scoring. This is already a very successful season, but no matter what happens from here on out I will be extremely pleased with Fedor's progression this season.

The guy has really stepped it up defensively and if he can round out his offense he has a chance to become a force.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACEMAN View Post
not all that unsung... 5 assists!

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:17 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm going to go with Blair Betts. This guy has quietly impressed me since Day 1 with the Rangers. All he does is go about his business, perform the duties asked of him, accept his role and play solid hockey. Could we win without him? Probably, but he does those little things that are highly needed for a team that is on the stretch they are.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lotus

Cullen had a good 4th, I'd chalk him up anyway. Betts is a very important player. Malik played well except that one haul down in the final minute of the 4th game, I knew he would somehow give them a chance to be back in it hahah. But all that aside Malik hasn't been bad this series.

How about Hollweg for unsung ? ;p

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:45 AM
shon

The Hockey News Magazine award edition. voted Dan Girardi as the unsung hero.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
schmieder44

Well, there were about 6 or 7 that really stood out and a great opening round. I think Atlanta was by far the weakest team so in that regard we got a great draw in the playoffs. Im eager vs ottowa or the sabres to see how much of that beat down was us playing great or Atlanta sucking...... im hoping for Ottowa !

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Malik, there wasn't one time I can recall that I wanted to throw something at the tv because of him.

Oh and I think ATL played better then Pits in the first round, kind of unfair to say the thrashers are the worst team ever just because they got blown out one of the 4 games, rest of them were pretty damn close.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:42 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

We have alot of players who are really good at their roles. I don't think our team has that many glaring flaws anymore...
-Lack of quality veteran defenseman is made up by good team defense and extremely mature young defenseman
-Lack of #1 centre is made up by Nylander stepping it up
-Lack of a back-up goalie is made up by Lundqvist taking the load.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Madness

The unsung heros are Lehtonen and Marian Hossa.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:56 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Tyutin is very quietly leading all defenseman in the playoffs in scoring. This is already a very successful season, but no matter what happens from here on out I will be extremely pleased with Fedor's progression this season.

The guy has really stepped it up defensively and if he can round out his offense he has a chance to become a force.

You're dead on here. If they give him more offensive responsibility next year he will quickly become a force. He's not even 24 yet. Have to give credit to Girardi too, he's was a definite unsung hero of Round 1.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote