HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sakic in the 2000 playoffs

Old
04-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Morris

vCash: 500
Sakic in the 2000 playoffs

What happened to Sakic in the 2000 playoffs? He only had 9 points in 17 games and was minus-5. Was he injured?

Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Avsgrl19

Joe's wife was pregnant with their twins and she was having a very difficult pregnancy. Debbie gave birth in October 2000 and Joe went on to have one of his best seasons, and the rest is Stanley Cup history.

Avsgrl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsgrl19 View Post
Joe's wife was pregnant with their twins and she was having a very difficult pregnancy. Debbie gave birth in October 2000 and Joe went on to have one of his best seasons, and the rest is Stanley Cup history.
I believe he seperated his shoulder against the Kings in the 2001 playoffs...is this what you are refering to??

Melrose'sMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:55 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
the avs were a tight more focused on defense type that playoff run, joe was basically our shutdown center, i think he went head 2 head with modano in the semis.

the avs only played 10 games in the 1st 2 rounds and the 2nd round vs detriot was a low scoring series and eddie the eagle stone walled the avs in the semis.

there were rumors joe was distracted by his wife pregancy during that run(according to dater in his book), plus hartley broke up the tanguay-sakic-hejduk line and put useless dave andreychuk on sakic's line thus hurting their production.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsgrl19 View Post
I remember this from Adrian's book "Blood Feud." He was injured and had things going on in his life that you can't read about in the stat sheet.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
the avs were a tight more focused on defense type that playoff run, joe was basically our shutdown center, i think he went head 2 head with modano in the semis.

the avs only played 10 games in the 1st 2 rounds and the 2nd round vs detriot was a low scoring series and eddie the eagle stone walled the avs in the semis.

there were rumors joe was distracted by his wife pregancy during that run(according to dater in his book), plus hartley broke up the tanguay-sakic-hejduk line and put useless dave andreychuk on sakic's line thus hurting their production.
Are you referring to the same useless Dave Andreychuk who captained Tampa Bay to it's first Stanley Cup in 2004? The same Dave Andreychuk who had 640 goals, 698 assists and a career point total of 1338? He was a huge addition to our team that year and highlighting him as a reason for failure is just plain dumb. Maybe being on the first line was a mistake...playing coach 7 years afterwards is kinda easy ain't it? But calling him useless is well...insert your own word here, but Dave was never useless to any team he played on. He might've not been used in the best capacity but he played wherever coaches put him and he showed to the world in '04 that he still had game when he captained the Lightning to their first cup.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Are you referring to the same useless Dave Andreychuk who captained Tampa Bay to it's first Stanley Cup in 2004? The same Dave Andreychuk who had 640 goals, 698 assists and a career point total of 1338? He was a huge addition to our team that year and highlighting him as a reason for failure is just plain dumb. Maybe being on the first line was a mistake...playing coach 7 years afterwards is kinda easy ain't it? But calling him useless is well...insert your own word here, but Dave was never useless to any team he played on. He might've not been used in the best capacity but he played wherever coaches put him and he showed to the world in '04 that he still had game when he captained the Lightning to their first cup.
He was not performing close to expectations here. He was near-useless here. He's a good player.. but wasn't here.

3 points in 14 games?

He kinda mirrors Rolston's uselessness here. The point is... they were useless in colorado.

El_Loco_Avs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
He was not performing close to expectations here. He was near-useless here. He's a good player.. but wasn't here.

3 points in 14 games?

He kinda mirrors Rolston's uselessness here. The point is... they were useless in colorado.
I wouldn't say either were useless. I would just say that Colorado coaches and management alike expected them to contribute in ways that did not compliment their strengths. That's a far cry from calling either player useless. I'd rather call the coaches and management useless for bringing them in and mis-using them in the first place before I start talking trash about either player. I'd never take a Randall knife and use it like a tool, a simple implement used to carve a lovers name into a tree. Naw...any of y'all that look up the name and stumble upon Guy Clark's lyrics will agree. The knives were big in WWII and they were designed to be used for one purpose only...they were not designed to be tools intergangible with other parts. I would argue that both Rolston and Dave were mis-used tools...not useless. Maybe it is semantics...but I can't blame either player for the situation they were in...especially considering how much better they became once getting out of Colorado. The problem with bringing in certain players to this team is that we expect them to change what makes them special in order to fit in....that simply is not a good fit.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:30 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
go back and watch those playoffs over again, dave was completly useless and cost the team with stupid penalties in the series vs dallas, including a crucial one late in the 1st period in gm7. i dont care what dave did in his career or later on, he was a major bust in denver, case closed. dave should of been relagated to the 4th line and 2nd pp duty, instead he repalced tanguay on that line, and the line was non-existint offensively.

question i have for you is were you even an avs fan back than, and if not calling others "dumb" for making an opinion on something they witnessed is rather weak and uncalled for.

Old
04-18-2007, 02:22 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Andreychuk on a line with a guy like Sakic definitely sounds like an odd pair, especially in terms of the huge gap in speed.

If you could rank the Colorado Avalanche teams from 95-96 to 2003-2004 in order of best to worst, what would the order be?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:32 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Andreychuk on a line with a guy like Sakic definitely sounds like an odd pair, especially in terms of the huge gap in speed.

If you could rank the Colorado Avalanche teams from 95-96 to 2003-2004 in order of best to worst, what would the order be?
2000-01
95-96
99-00
96-97
01-02
98-99
03-04
02-03
97-98

Old
04-18-2007, 03:55 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
I wouldn't say either were useless. I would just say that Colorado coaches and management alike expected them to contribute in ways that did not compliment their strengths. That's a far cry from calling either player useless. .
Well useless is a big word. They did however SEVERELY underperform. I was glad to see them leave and glad that they went on to do well.

Old
04-18-2007, 04:08 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
I wouldn't say either were useless. I would just say that Colorado coaches and management alike expected them to contribute in ways that did not compliment their strengths. That's a far cry from calling either player useless. I'd rather call the coaches and management useless for bringing them in and mis-using them in the first place before I start talking trash about either player. I'd never take a Randall knife and use it like a tool, a simple implement used to carve a lovers name into a tree. Naw...any of y'all that look up the name and stumble upon Guy Clark's lyrics will agree. The knives were big in WWII and they were designed to be used for one purpose only...they were not designed to be tools intergangible with other parts. I would argue that both Rolston and Dave were mis-used tools...not useless. Maybe it is semantics...but I can't blame either player for the situation they were in...especially considering how much better they became once getting out of Colorado. The problem with bringing in certain players to this team is that we expect them to change what makes them special in order to fit in....that simply is not a good fit.
If you take a million dollar Stradivarius violin and try using it to cut your lawn it may be a great instrument, but its pretty damn useless at cutting your lawn.

Andreychuk was a great player but useless in the role they wanted to use him for. Hence he was useless as an Av. Not the his fault, but the fact remains he did nothing positive as an Av.

2000-01
95-96
96-97
98-99
99-00
01-02
03-04
02-03
97-98

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
go back and watch those playoffs over again, dave was completly useless and cost the team with stupid penalties in the series vs dallas, including a crucial one late in the 1st period in gm7. i dont care what dave did in his career or later on, he was a major bust in denver, case closed. dave should of been relagated to the 4th line and 2nd pp duty, instead he repalced tanguay on that line, and the line was non-existint offensively.

question i have for you is were you even an avs fan back than, and if not calling others "dumb" for making an opinion on something they witnessed is rather weak and uncalled for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post

Quote:
Well useless is a big word. They did however SEVERELY underperform. I was glad to see them leave and glad that they went on to do well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If you take a million dollar Stradivarius violin and try using it to cut your lawn it may be a great instrument, but its pretty damn useless at cutting your lawn.

Andreychuk was a great player but useless in the role they wanted to use him for. Hence he was useless as an Av. Not the his fault, but the fact remains he did nothing positive as an Av.

All very good responses...I still stand behind mine as well. Some folks will call the players useless, I prefer to say they were mis-used. As I said, it might be a matter of semantics but to me...especially considering how both players stepped up another notch after leaving the organization, I think it is more correct to say they were mis-used (especially in Dave's situation...Brian was still growing into a player while Dave was established in his role...in fact he had already re-defined himself as more of a physical, banger instead of the sniper role he played early on in his career.) Which means coaching was a problem and the line-combos (also a coaching issue) were at fault...not the player(s).

Old
04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
All very good responses...I still stand behind mine as well. Some folks will call the players useless, I prefer to say they were mis-used. As I said, it might be a matter of semantics but to me...especially considering how both players stepped up another notch after leaving the organization, I think it is more correct to say they were mis-used (especially in Dave's situation...Brian was still growing into a player while Dave was established in his role...in fact he had already re-defined himself as more of a physical, banger instead of the sniper role he played early on in his career.) Which means coaching was a problem and the line-combos (also a coaching issue) were at fault...not the player(s).
But he still scored significantly more in that role at other clubs. That's what's annoying about it.
It's not really a big deal though. They were an alright gamble to take. And Brian Rolston led to other good things.

Old
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
But he still scored significantly more in that role at other clubs. That's what's annoying about it.
It's not really a big deal though. They were an alright gamble to take. And Brian Rolston led to other good things.
My appolgies now go out to Morris. Sorry we hijacked your thread about Sakic but seriously...no one around here blames him for the AVs not winning the Cup that year. We all have our favorite ponies to whip over that season.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:54 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
My appolgies now go out to Morris. Sorry we hijacked your thread about Sakic but seriously...no one around here blames him for the AVs not winning the Cup that year. We all have our favorite ponies to whip over that season.
Ah his questions were answered though I think.

Are we free to hijack after answering?

So er.. how about that Dutch soccer national Cup final! Az - Ajax! Should be an exciting match!