HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

MacInnis vs Stevens

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 03:29 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
MacInnis vs Stevens

The Bourque vs Stevens thread was a little unfair in my opinion because Ray Bourque was simply better. I propose this discussion Scott Stevens vs Al MacInnis. I have great admiration for both and it is tough for me to pick.

Stevens as discussed in the other thread is for sure the best D-man of our generation never to win a Norris and he was absolutely robbed of one the year he led the devs in points and led the league in plus minus. He was edged by Bourque in the closest Norris Trophy vote to date. Also those who have only seen him play recently may think he is only a very solid mean stay at home D-man based on his recent stats. in his younger days he put up a ton of points without sacrificing the D. I diont think he has had a minus year in his illustrious career. His leadership is unquestioned and as said he is one if the best open ice hitters ever and he was never afraid to drop the mitts and defend himself or a teammate.

MacInnis at first glance is simply a superb offfensive D-man with a huge shot. If you believe that you havent seen him play much his all around game is as solid as anyones. He makes outlet passes that are superb and he has more than that big shot when going on the offensive he can make great passes of of a faked shot and he can take something off of it and get it through for tips. As Al has said many a time the Shot got him a foot in the door in the NHL. As for the Norris trophy count Al could have more Norris trophies, everyone knows he was beaten out by Lidstrom last year. I think he should have won. Some may not know that he was also victimised by the great Ray Bourque once, one of his years playing for the Flames he scored over 100pts and lost the Norris in a very close vote.

Getting to Al's defensive game, while he doesnt make the hits that knock a guy into the 5th row like Stevens (not many do) he doesnt get beat one on one often and he will take his man out of the play very effectively. Also like Bourque in the previous discussion he is far from a candy ass out there. If someone is messing with him he will get his message across either witha well placed slash or he will get the lumber up in your grill and make you think before running him.

On to the leadership aspect, I think this one is very close also, they are both among the best leaders of their era's its just that one has been a captain of his teams for the majority of his career while the other has not. I think if you look at Al's career witn the Blues he should have been a captain of the Blues since the day they traded for him. I am a big Brett Hull fan and he is probably the best hockey player to wear the Bluenote for more than a few months, that being said Al should have been the captain he is more of a leader than Brett. He would have gave it up during Gretz's Brief tenure because he is a class guy, but he should have got it backk the day Grets signed with the Rags. Pronger should have never wore the C while Al was playing, I think that was a case of the organisation wanting to give their franchise player the C. I am not saying Prongs isnt a leader they just heaped that on him when he was too young.

This one is very close, both of these guys are known to the common fan for very different things. You say Scott Stevens to the common fan and they will say Big hitter who was also a mean SOB who wasnt afraid to drop the gloves. This isnt wrong it is just leaving out the fact that his offensive game was also very solid.

When you say Al Macinnis to the common fan they will say great offensive D-man with the best Slapshot in hockey. Again they arent wrong they are jsut forgetting the fact that he was Physical enough to not get pushed around and his defensive game was as good as anyones during his era.

If I had to pick I will take Al by the smallest of margins, what do you all think.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Knucklez

I prefer Stevens due to his phyiscal play. He's a playoff warrior, I love those kind of guys.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:42 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I take Stevens in a heartbeat...To be honest, I don't think it's even close....

Old
02-20-2004, 03:51 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
interesting
I think it is close. darn close

yes Stevens has more cups (amongst other things), but lets not forget MacInnis was arguably the best player on a cup winner 15 years ago and was still playing at an elite level as recently as last season.

I think MacInnis' defensive game has always been underrated, but especially in his Calgary days...yes he was suspect his first few years, but by about 1986 he was already been leaned on in most situations by the Flames

having said that, I can't dispute someone taking Stevens for his ferocity, leadership and of course his offensive game was decent in the first half of his career too

Old
02-20-2004, 04:08 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Not wanting to argue, but its very close.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:10 PM
jiggs 10

This is a MUCH closer arguement than the Bourque one. MacInnis is closer to the perfect defenseman than almost anyone not named Lidstrom. He, as you pointed out, very rarely gets beaten one-on-one (which is the sign of a great defenseman, not stupid big hits that take you out of the play), is more than tough enough without resorting to the cheap crap, and is far superior as an offensive player. He makes great outlet passes (Stevens doesn't), he reads plays well and can rush the puck well. I'd take MacInnis by a whisker in this one, because of the higher offensive potential. I think they are pretty darn equal defensively.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
This is a MUCH closer arguement than the Bourque one. MacInnis is closer to the perfect defenseman than almost anyone not named Lidstrom. He, as you pointed out, very rarely gets beaten one-on-one (which is the sign of a great defenseman, not stupid big hits that take you out of the play), is more than tough enough without resorting to the cheap crap, and is far superior as an offensive player. He makes great outlet passes (Stevens doesn't), he reads plays well and can rush the puck well. I'd take MacInnis by a whisker in this one, because of the higher offensive potential. I think they are pretty darn equal defensively.
Are you saying that you would take MacInnis over Bourque as well?

As for this one, I'm finally going to agree with those Devils fans and take Scott Stevens by a hair.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:59 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Very close. I think i'd take MacInnis, just because of the great offense. Stevens is more physical and intimidating in presence, but i don't know if there was anything as intmidating as an Al MacInnis slapshot from he point...poor goalies..

Old
02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Stevens

Old
02-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
interesting
I think it is close. darn close

yes Stevens has more cups (amongst other things), but lets not forget MacInnis was arguably the best player on a cup winner 15 years ago and was still playing at an elite level as recently as last season.

I think MacInnis' defensive game has always been underrated, but especially in his Calgary days...yes he was suspect his first few years, but by about 1986 he was already been leaned on in most situations by the Flames

having said that, I can't dispute someone taking Stevens for his ferocity, leadership and of course his offensive game was decent in the first half of his career too
MacInnis was simply awesome in that run. The most dominating performance I have seen by a dman in the playoffs.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:25 AM
sidewalkslam

I'd take Mcinnis simply because even though Steven is a lot tougher and hard to play against, Al has more defensive awareness.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:29 AM
eddy

I'd take Macinnis just be cause he's so great all-round. Nothing against Scotty though I love Stevens.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
If I had to choose, I'd say Stevens, because I prefer meaner hard-hitting defensemen. But I'd much rather have both.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Verbal Kint*

I like both, but I'll go with MacInnis. Both have great leadership as well which is an attribute I don't think anyone has mentioned.

Closed Thread