HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looks like we are playing Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2007, 11:00 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey View Post
we go for win 5 of 16, doesnt matter who it is.
that's right! we take it one at a time

boy that would be a fun series.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
True Blue

One thing is for sure

There is absolutely no reason to dress Orr from here on in. Hollweg needs to take his spot.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:10 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
I think we match up just fine with the Sabres. I can see Avery having a field day with some of their forwards.
Bingo!

Old
04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
There is absolutely no reason to dress Orr from here on in. Hollweg needs to take his spot.
Nope. Need more speed. Hollweg or even Isbister should play.

04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Agreed 1,000%. ZERO reason Orr needs to be in the lineup vs the Sabres. Not that Hollweg NEEDS to be in the lineup but there is just no reason why Orr should be there. Hollweg in this series would just be much more effective.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Ddubs

I live right behind Msg and plan on invading the garden.This could be an awesome series.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

This one will come down to a few things among others...

1. The Rangers forecheck/possession game and Sabres D.
If the Rangers can continue to play their possesion game in the offensive zone I think they can out play the Sabres defenseman. I saw alot of Sabres looking around during the Isles series. But with that said the giveaways from Jagrs line in particular have to be seriously limited. The Sabres have a very quick transition game and getting the puck deep will be important for the Rangers. On a side note the Rangers really have to be aware of Campbell coming in late and getting into prime offensive areas, hes been awesome for the Sabres this year.

2. Young Defensman for the Rangers, and the speed of Buffalo.. Pock and Girardi in particular (and Maliks lack of "foot speed"). Rachunek may come back to take Pocks position but how effective will he be? Will he be the half season Rachunek who gave away pucks and made stupid passes or will he be the last quarter Rachunek who turned it around? The other guys, Girardi in particular will have to face a much deeper team and will be tested with only 4 playoff games under his belt. I expect him to be ok, but the Sabres will keep coming. If they are able to skate, watch out.

3. The Leaders. Guys like Briere and Drury or Shanny and Jagr. Who will show up? I believe both will, but its gonna come down to who wants it more as it always does. It will probably come down to the supporting cast of each team and the Sabres have to have the edge there with an embarrassingly deep team. But throw the x-factors in there and of course the Rangers have Avery. My darkhorse is Straka, the guy has been waiting in the weeds too long, and he can skate with the Sabres for sure.

4. Goaltending. Last but surely not least. It may simply come down to the amount of routine and big saves Miller and Hank make and more imortantly when they make them in the game. Miller made a HUGE stop to end the series with the Isles. Thats what makes the difference. We all know how Lundy has played during the stretch. Miller has been fantastic as well. Its gonna be fun to watch that for sure.

All in all it should be a very entertaining series. Both teams have a legitimate shot IMO. It could be a long one.

A good pyschological plus for the Rangers is that the Sabres also have a bunch of days off and the long wait thing can go out the window now, itll only be a difference of about 2 days rest. Not much there.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 04-20-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old
04-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Agreed 1,000%. ZERO reason Orr needs to be in the lineup vs the Sabres. Not that Hollweg NEEDS to be in the lineup but there is just no reason why Orr should be there. Hollweg in this series would just be much more effective.
No need for it...

Maybe the time off helps Hollweg in a series against Buffalo. There is no need to dress Orr...The only way the Rangers can keep any sort of pace with Buffalo is role 4 lines at even strength...You just can't do that with Orr in the lineup...Not over a 7 game series...

I'd tell you the lineup change I wouldn't make is Rachunek for Pock. I'm not a big Pock but he has played better then Rachunek..

The Sabres to me are a better version of the Rangers....

Old
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

so when does our 2nd round begin?

Old
04-20-2007, 11:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
so when does our 2nd round begin?
Wednesday or Thursday ive heard, depends on if the Debbie/Tampons go to 7 or not.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
No need for it...

Maybe the time off helps Hollweg in a series against Buffalo. There is no need to dress Orr...The only way the Rangers can keep any sort of pace with Buffalo is role 4 lines at even strength...You just can't do that with Orr in the lineup...Not over a 7 game series...

I'd tell you the lineup change I wouldn't make is Rachunek for Pock. I'm not a big Pock but he has played better then Rachunek..

The Sabres to me are a better version of the Rangers....
Yup, agree again. Me and you seem to being looking at the match up pretty much the same way.

Pock played very solid (and I wasn't a huge Pock supporter before the playoffs)..but I wouldn't at this time replace Karl with Pock.

Replace Hollweg for Orr and keep the rest the same IMO.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oh and also...

This will be THE BATTLE OF THE CENTER ICE SALUTE...

Old
04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
im worried about Malik in a series like this. He aint a fast skater and although played well, buffalo has alot of speed. Id insert Rachunek and scratch Malik.

Old
04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
im worried about Malik in a series like this. He aint a fast skater and although played well, buffalo has alot of speed. Id insert Rachunek and scratch Malik.
Rachunek is coming back from a knee injury, and Malik played solid in Round one. We don't know if Rachunek is fully ready for guys like the speedy Roy and Kotalik...

Old
04-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Come on....

Old
04-21-2007, 12:36 AM
SabreDr

This will be an exciting series. Just some things Rangers fans might consider about how the Sabres played against the Islanders. Max Afinogenov, Tim Connolly and Al Kotalik had just returned prior to the end of the season due to long term injuries. I think they will improve now that they have had some playing time and conditioning during the NYI series. Also, the Sabres coasted for the last part of the season. I think this playoff series got the fire back in them. Finally, the Islanders were not your typical 8th seed. If they had Ryan Smyth and Bergeron all year long and Dipietro didn't get injured they would have been a higher ranked team...Anyway, it should be an exciting series. Both teams have a lot of skill and the games should be fast paced.

Old
04-21-2007, 12:50 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wednesday or Thursday ive heard, depends on if the Debbie/Tampons go to 7 or not.
ill be away for 5 days...starting thursday..dunno how i should follow the team..CRAP..

Old
04-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Balej20*

I'm more scared of Ottawa than Buffalo. I think Ottawa has a much better "Playoff team" than Buffalo does. With that said, Buffalo is still a massive favorite over the Rangers.

Old
04-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Nuke

Keep in mind the Sabres were without their number 1 defensemen "Talinder" for the last 3 games against the Rangers this season and were without Connolly for all 4 games. In addition, we've added Zubrus to the lineup since the season series.

This is a much different Sabres than what the Rangers saw during the regular season.

Old
04-21-2007, 02:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
What the hell is he going to to do Avery that guys like Tkachuk didn't do to him? Cheapshot him that bad to injure him for the series? Good luck with that and the aftermath of it if it happened.
He wont be giving any cheapshots thats not his game. His impact will be felt in the Sabres trying establish a better forecheck and cycle. Something they were piss poor at against the Isles.

Most Sabre fans that have kept up on your recent play have no interest in playing you guys. You've looked very good.

Old
04-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Keep in mind the Sabres were without their number 1 defensemen "Talinder" for the last 3 games against the Rangers this season and were without Connolly for all 4 games. In addition, we've added Zubrus to the lineup since the season series.

This is a much different Sabres than what the Rangers saw during the regular season.
So what are you trying to say? We sucked against you guys in the regular season, so if you had a full team, we would have sucked more? It's not like we beat you.

And anyway, the Rangers can say the samething. They only started playing incredibly well the last month or so of the season...so this is an entirely different Ranger team than what the Sabres saw during the regular season.

Old
04-21-2007, 02:40 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

IF we play the Sabres the same could be said of the Rangers.. They are vastly different than the last time your team faced them.

Old
04-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:

Keep in mind that the games were rather close, you beat us for the regular season series, and haven't played us after the All Star Break when Lundqvist found is game and then shortly after Avery was acquired and the team completely did a 180 turn to force a 6th seed finish instead of a 13th one.

Sabres are the team to beat in the East, even if Ottawa looked more impressive in the 1st round. But this Rangers team isn't the same team that the Sabres had swept in the regular season. This Rangers team plays to win, doesn't give up, and at least in the first round operated on all cylinders.

This series is going to be a blast!

Old
04-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Gaustad is our grittiest player. Our biggest player. A guy that does the dirty work.

You will know the name well. Gaustad is a fan favorite and is making his return in round 2 after being out since Feb.

He was on Drury's line before he got hurt.
Is this guy the next Cam Neily or something?

How effective will a 4th liner with little talent who hasn't played for the better part of the season be against the Rangers??

Old
04-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Sabres are the team to beat in the East, even if Ottawa looked more impressive in the 1st round.
Not realy, considering Ottawa had a BRUTAL start to the season adjusting to their many different chamges to their team over last year. Since December, no teams had better record than Ottawa, Vancouver, and the Pens Also not ws Ottawa and all the teams above playing better hockey than the Sabres, but Ottawa was the only team in the east to bash around the Sabres this season throught 5 to 3 including some blowout games, 3 wins in Buffalo ice. But then again that was only regular season.

That said, Ottawa is basicaly the Sabres except with better higher end talent both up front and on defense as well. They are also massively more physical than the Sabres as well as being just as fast. When you add speed, talent, and hitting all together it is lethal as the pens who just couldn't lose since December found out.

But the most impressive thing about them was that they can be extremely physical WITHOUT taking themselves out of the play deffensively, mostly on the forecheck. So whomever is playing them in rounds 2 and 3 had better well have Dman that excell in moving the puck quickly and not afraid to take punishment/pay teh price to make quick plays. Otherwise you are one and done against them.

Closed Thread