HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Game 5 - Predators vs Sharks - 4/20 - 8:00 PM

Old
04-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
Chins up fellas... You have quite the team. Its a shame that 2 of the 3 best teams in the west had to meet in the 1st round. The end result is not an accurate reflection of what was going on in the ice--When you guys took the lead tonight, it was easy for me to imagine the series turning... I thought the sharks might have blown their chance to advance--The series was that close.

I know none of this is any kind of consolation prize, but I feel I at least have to say that you guys are all right... a bunch of level-headed, true hockey fans. Don't listen to the trolls, Hockey in Nashville is here to stay.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

hard fought series, lots of hitting and beautiful goals. it was a joy to watch. best of luck to the preds. you guys have a great future ahead of you and i hope the preds stay in nashville, the fans here on these boards are very passionate.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:27 AM
SC2008

Good series guys. It was much closer than it looked.

As a Sharks fan I can understand. We've been through many playoffs loses ourselves. And it gets frustrating to see the same teams eliminate us. (i.e. Wings, Stars, Avs)

On top of that, we had to endure seeing teams that came after us--Ducks, Panthers, Lighting--make it to the Cup Finals. For us its been a long journey to get this good.

This is easily the best Sharks team we've ever had and it was worth the wait.

Best of luck in the future.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:46 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I've enjoyed chatting with several of you. I know its tough to get taken out by the same team in back to back years. We experienced that with the Avs and Dallas in the 90's (In 14 years, we've only gotten out of round 2 one time) .

Its been said, but to me the biggest crime is that 2 fifty win teams had to meet in the first round. That isnt good for hockey to seed the Division Winners ahead of the teams with more points, particularly in an unbalanced schedule.

The team was a very good one and loaded up for a deep run. It will be an interesting offseason. I think Trotz has been an excellent expansion coach, but its time to get some fresh blood. I wish you great success in the offseason and hope we dont see you in the first round next year. The result in 5 games wasn't indicative of how tight the series really was.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Jarnberg

What a flop by the Predators. We can't even win to attempt to save face. We couldn't clear the puck out of our zone all night. Zanon, Hamhuis, etc. made perfect passes right to San Jose players.

The sad thing is, we were in control of this game. Until Scott Nichol took quite possibly the dumbest penalty I've ever seen. We were up 2-1, were about to get a PP and he spears a San Jose player. Nichol is a useless hack who should never, ever put on a Predators uniform again. Way to cost us the game Scotty.

And to make things even better, the Sharks should have never scored that third goal that way. Fiddler was hooked and there was no call made. Meanwhile, we get calls for playing hockey. Radulov got hauled down in the neutral zone backchecking and then gets called for a holding call as he tries to get back in the play after the no call. I'm not going to blame this game on the refs, but it was quite possibly one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. I also don't think I've ever seen such a 'big' team fall down so easily.

Whatever, the Predators didn't deserve to win.

Meanwhile, I turn on the post game and I hear Trotz saying he'd love to have a full lineup and tossing out all kinds of excuses. Give me a break.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well...that was disappointing, but every year is disappointing when you make the playoffs and don't win your final game of the season. It happens to 15 teams a year and another 14 don't even get the chance to experience the disappointment that we all feel right now.

I want to congratulate San Jose for moving onto the 2nd round of the playoffs. I admittedly have very little respect for some members of their organization, but they simply played better than the Predators over the course of the series and did the things they needed to win.

Evegni Nabokov stood on his head all series long and was the No. 1 difference in the entire series. I felt that the Predators, with the possible exception of Game 3, generated multiple prime scoring chances in each of the games this series and although we certainly didn't capitalize on a few, Nabokov simply made a multitude of key saves in each of these five games that made the difference.

Goaltending was not an issue for either of the teams in this series. Vokoun played outstanding hockey and although he allowed a few questionable goals along the way...he made point-blank game saving stops in each of these games to allow us the chance to win the series. I love Mason and believe that he is fully capable of being a No. 1 goalie somewhere in the NHL, but Vokoun stepped up to the plate in this series and I think it is clear now more than ever that Mason will get his shot, but that it will take place in another jersey.

I have still not had the opportunity to watch a replay of the Nichol spearing penalty, however I have been told by multiple people after the game that it was clearly intentional. If this is true, that is the most bone-headed, selfish, and flat out stupid penalty I have seen in sports since Zidane made his infamous headbutt of the Italian (?) player in the World Cup Finals. The Predators had already withstood a couple of penalty kills in the first two periods, had scored two goals to take the lead and really get the building going again, and were headed to the power play and Nichol decides to negate the power play, put the Predators on the penalty kill, and kill all the momentum we had going for us. That was the game-changing moment tonight. I didn't really have too much of an issue with his punch to the side of Spacek's head earlier this season and really thought he was one of our more valuable players pound-for-pound, but if I confirm what I've been told on video review...I have lost all respect for Nichol and I'm sure that the thought is shared within the locker room as well.

On defense I thought we had some really bad turnovers and had difficulty many times clearing the puck in the last three games and I credit San Jose for that. Especially watching the game tonight I lost track of the number of times that our defensemen got the puck and looked up to make a pass to the winger only to see that the winger had flown the zone or was cut off by the San Jose forecheck. Even when we got the puck up to our wingers on the breakout, the Sharks capitalized on their size advantage and had their defensemen pinch down to hold in the puck and set us up for their winger to come in and lay a body check on our forwards. I thought this pattern really wore thin on our defensemen and lead to some really bad passes through the middle or straight to Sharks standing in position on the forecheck simply out of deseperation to get the puck out and get a change.

As for injuries, I will not use them as an excuse, but they were clearly a factor in this series and I don't fault Trotz for answering a question during the post game interview about how the injuries affected us by saying that the injuries played a large factor in this series. I really hope that they are able to figure out what is wrong with Sullivan's back this summer and fix it so that it doesn't present a long-term problem here on out...even if that means he is not ready for the start of next season. Erat simply needs the time off now to rest his knee and we can only hope that he does not have anything torn that requires surgery this offseason. Those are the two big injuries in this series, but I also have a feeling that Weber has either a very bad bruise or something broken in his left foot and that has affected him since Game 3. Tootoo being out tonight wasn't necessarily a bad thing and I can only hope that when he returns next season he is not met with the same level of disrespect from the officials.

Regardless, as I have said a couple of times this postseason...injuries are simply an opportunity for someone else to step up and fill a role they otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to play. Personally, I think we failed at that for much of the season, but will get more into our organizational (minor-league) depth in another thread at another time.

I have a ton of other thoughts swirling around my head, as I'm sure we all do, so I will end with this thought:

I do not regret anything from this season. I had an absolute blast meeting new faces and really see the energy level build this season to an absolutely chaotic environment in the playoffs. I take some solice in this defeat knowing that we got beat by a team that simply made the better plays. That is not to take anything away from the Predators or lay blame at anyone's feet. I am simply saying that I believe that both teams played a great series, but Nabokov was simply brillant all series long, Rissmiller made a good shot in double-overtime to win Game 1, and Patrick Marleau not only made a great play to set up Rissmiller's goal, but he also stepped up to the plate tonight and made two great plays to lift the Sharks to victory. It doesn't take away the sting of losing, but at least I know that we made the Sharks beat us with solid plays and unfortunately...they did.

As I said after Game 4, doom and gloom will reign down from everywhere, but I remain committed to this team and this franchise. Sad way to end the season, but what can you do about it?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Good series, Preds. You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's a shame these two teams had to meet in the first round.

I have to say I was very impressed with Vokoun and Dumont. As for Kariya....what can you say that hasn't already been said. Radulov is a stud...he has a bright future. I think you guys could definitely use some improvement down the middle at center.

After hearing so much about how apathetic Preds fans are, I was shocked to see how crazy your home games were. Very impressed.

Good luck next season.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:18 AM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It's been in the planning for over a year. Bettman made sure of that with his hand picked refs
Kind of ironic that your avatar says "no excuses".

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:19 AM
irisheyes555

all i can say is again we ran out of gas down the stretch. the sharks stepped it up and we kept sliding. perhaps we are built for the regular season since we have never won an away PO game(and are not to good at home).

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Crazyhorse

I saw the penalty that Nichol took. What can you say? If youre looking for somekind of proof that stupid penalties cost you hockey games, i guess that one would come to mind pretty quick. Talk about a dumb and selfish play.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:05 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Thornton you diving piece of thrash..

Just thought to myself.. Whose been the best Predator tonight..

And I couldn´t come up with a name.

This in a must-win game.

Kariya has been brutal, Forsberg has only done one thing right all game long, and he plays with zero emotion.
Forsberg was the only guy trying out there tonight? Did we watch the same game? You want to point fingers...how about we start with the dumb penalties especially Nichols? or how about Dan Hamhuis and Greg Zanon inability to clear the zone or how about the Preds d-man wetting themselves on every Shark forecheck? Paul Kariya sure looked like he cared same with Timonen and Zidlicky. Forsberg was the best player for the preds short of Vokoun.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Forsberg was the only guy trying out there tonight? Did we watch the same game? You want to point fingers...how about we start with the dumb penalties especially Nichols? or how about Dan Hamhuis and Greg Zanon inability to clear the zone or how about the Preds d-man wetting themselves on every Shark forecheck? Paul Kariya sure looked like he cared same with Timonen and Zidlicky. Forsberg was the best player for the preds short of Vokoun.
Forsberg missed 60% of his passes, and lost the puck almost every time he had it?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The sad thing is, we were in control of this game. Until Scott Nichol took quite possibly the dumbest penalty I've ever seen. We were up 2-1, were about to get a PP and he spears a San Jose player. Nichol is a useless hack who should never, ever put on a Predators uniform again. Way to cost us the game Scotty.
I think this sealed Trotz fate. A strong argument could be made that three boneheaded plays (Hartnell, Radulov, and Nichol) cost the Preds 2-3 games in this series. If none of those situations occurs, I really like the Preds chances in games 1 and 5 and think that we would have had a much better shot at game 3. I understand Trotz can't babysit these guys, but this is fast becoming a serious issue that needs to be addressed immediately. This is a stupid hockey team that takes dumb penalties at inopportune times. That is a reflection of the head coaching job done by Trotz, whether we like it or not.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:46 AM
RollingPredFan

I guess this is what it feels like to be a Chicago Cub fan hahaha. I would say Buffalo Bills, but atleast they got deep in the playoffs

I just don't know how to say how disapointed this makes me. First off how in the world do you come out at home as flat as we did? That was infuriating me, we were on the verge of being eliminated and we let them outplay us in the 1st period

We have a much improved roster, have playoff vets that have won cups, and all we could get again like last year is one friggin win. We have sacrificed much of our future the last 2 years for 2 wins in the postseason

How can a team be disciplined all year long and then get penalized as much as we did? Everyone said it before the series that we need to be disciplined and every game we were NOT. Its clearly what took away our momentum every game. Its not the reason we lost, but the Sharks got the majority of the calls go their way. And what was this chicken crap calls, 2 penalties at once mularkey? Refs, you suck lol

Oh well you knew after they tied it up after having a million power play minutes we were going to lose, it was just a matter of time.

I think we need alot of changes. I think we overestimated the 'new' NHL. We seem to be built to win against inferior teams, and play well in the 1st half of the season LOL

Still a Preds fan but heartbroken

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:29 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

This is really hard. I have many of the same conclusions already expressed:
1) Our D let us down with their inability to clear the zone with full puck possession. Everyone was guilty once, several young guys (who still have a bright future, IMHO, excluding Zanon) multiple times per game.
2) When in the history of the Stanley Cup has a team had this many game misconducts called for injuries that don't result in a single missed game? Nichols' was a STUPID penalty. But you have to ask myself: If a dive is called on the same player on the receiving end-- does it REALLY merit a game misconduct with 5 minute major?? The stat on penalty killing is deceptive-- the effect on our players and inability to roll scoring lines destroyed our momentum and chances in every game, with the possible exception of the first. Officiating was absolutely a factor, but not the deciding one-- that was...
3) Nabokov. He was outstanding.
4) The Pred's uninspired play in the last two games is either a failure of team leadership to inspire/cajole or of the coaching staff. I still think Trotz has only a 15% chance of keeping the job, and it would require the players demanding it. Leipold is too competitive in nature to take this lying down. He wants and needs more that a first round flameout. Fast.
5) San Jose deserves to get the reputation of a diving team. The way the aptly named Jumbo (as in jet) Joe flipped in the air at the end of the second just emphasizes the point.

I lost the remainder of my respect for several prominent members of the Sharks organization in this series. They were better when they had to be. They exploited the situation they were in-- they move on.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Hopper15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds_wizard View Post
This is really hard. I have many of the same conclusions already expressed:
1) Our D let us down with their inability to clear the zone with full puck possession. Everyone was guilty once, several young guys (who still have a bright future, IMHO, excluding Zanon) multiple times per game.
2) When in the history of the Stanley Cup has a team had this many game misconducts called for injuries that don't result in a single missed game? Nichols' was a STUPID penalty. But you have to ask myself: If a dive is called on the same player on the receiving end-- does it REALLY merit a game misconduct with 5 minute major?? The stat on penalty killing is deceptive-- the effect on our players and inability to roll scoring lines destroyed our momentum and chances in every game, with the possible exception of the first. Officiating was absolutely a factor, but not the deciding one-- that was...
4) The Pred's uninspired play in the last two games is either a failure of team leadership to inspire/cajole or of the coaching staff. I still think Trotz has only a 15% chance of keeping the job, and it would require the players demanding it. Leipold is too competitive in nature to take this lying down. He wants and needs more that a first round flameout. Fast.
5) San Jose deserves to get the reputation of a diving team. The way the aptly named Jumbo (as in jet) Joe flipped in the air at the end of the second just emphasizes the point.

I lost the remainder of my respect for several prominent members of the Sharks organization in this series. They were better when they had to be. They exploited the situation they were in-- they move on.
No excuses huh?

The Preds took some REALLY bad penalties early and were under the officials scrutiny for the rest of the series. Any bias (and I'm not conceding that there was any) was purely the result of the Preds play early.

If it was a boatload of ticky tack calls that were lopsided, I would sympathize, but 3 major-misconducts...c'mon, that is just dirty play...especially the spearing call on Nicol...that is just bush league from top to bottom.

Nashville has a good young team and a great future. They just got beat by a better team. It's a shame they had to meet in the first round, because I think they were the toughest competition in the west for the Sharks, save for Anehiem.

Bad calls can be blamed for one game, but in the best of seven, the cream rises to the top. San Jose controlled the tempo and the puck and simply wore down a smaller team with tough play in the corners. They were all great games and if Nashville can make some strides in becoming a more disciplined team, they will be a force to be reconed with next season.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
But you have to ask myself: If a dive is called on the same player on the receiving end-- does it REALLY merit a game misconduct with 5 minute major??
It wasn't a diving call. We were getting a PP after Scott Nichol got dumped twice and the Sharks were getting a roughing call. So instead of accepting the fact that we were going to go up on the PP and have a chance to extend our lead and keep momentum, he spears the guy. 100% legit call.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper15 View Post
No excuses huh?
Might want to read the post again before trying to be witty. Just because we talk about the series doesn't mean they're excuses.

Quote:
Officiating was absolutely a factor, but not the deciding one-- that was...

Old
04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
V-Train

Quote:
He was slashed and then crosschecked, and you think he dived? Whatever.

V-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:46 PM
SJsharks

Hey nashville fans try not to get down about the series, you guys should be pretty stoked about next season. good hard fought series.

SJsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

San Jose fans don't confuse big with tough. Tough is the last word I'd use to describe that team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote