HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2007 - 2008 Nashville Predators

Old
04-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronesepk View Post
Anybody else see us getting in the Briere/Gomez/Drury sweepstakes?
There's no way. Supposedly the salary cap is going to rise this year. We still have our self imposed salary cap. We cannot afford to go with one of the above mentioned players. Even if we could, would they want to sign here after our third straight first round exit?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Jarnberg

This is going to be a tough offseason for us. We have the potential to lose all of our big 4 free agents.

If I see Smithson, Fiddler, etc., still on these team for next season I'm going to puke.

A guy I'd like to see us possibly go after would be Handzus, although I'd like to see how he is going to recover from his injury.

Old
04-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Jarnberg

Post game interviews:

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/c...av=menu374_5_5

Sounds like Kariya is done here and Forsberg is looking to retire...

Old
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Post game interviews:

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/c...av=menu374_5_5

Sounds like Kariya is done here and Forsberg is looking to retire...
Then we damn well better offer Hannan (Timonen's $), Harntell (in between Kariya & Sully $) & Handzus 2-3 mil, and I'd be happy with that team ... let Radulov take Kariya's minutes ... move Sullivan down to the second line and have Weber shadow him all season ... so that if anyone starts any **** ... they know they're gonna get the horns

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:03 AM
cantskate

I think you guys are giving up on your young D too soon. They have great promise. Sharks also have a young D, though they got some much needed experience at the deadline with Rivet. Still, Vlasic just turned 20, is right out of juniors, and he's been arguably the Sharks best all-around defenseman all year. Matt Carle is a rookie who is playing well for us, and Erhoff is in his second full year, I think. All are major contributors. The Preds have some really good young talent on the blue line; they just need a little more time.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:24 AM
renodave

The danger for Nashville going forward is "throwing out the baby with the bath water". When you examine the series with the Sharks on balance, a goal here and a stop there would have made all the difference. Nashville was incredibly competitive despite missing key players (Sullivan, Erat). With those two in the lineup, the outcome might have been quite different. That said, the biggest change Nashville has to make in the off-season is to get rid of Trotz. He's a nice guy, but he was clearly outcoached in this series. If Nashville dismantles this team, I think it would be a huge mistake.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:18 AM
RaiderDoug

Maybe i'm in the minority here, but I'd be pretty happy with Legwand and Arnott as the #1 and #2 centers.

So, instead of throwing the cash at Gomez/Briere, why not go after a guy like Belanger. Atlanta is my second favorite team so I've seen him a bit since he became a Thrasher, and I think this guy would be a good fit as the #3 center, he skates like the wind and plays a style that would fit here. And come cheap enough to allow us to put the money elsewhere. Think Scott Nichol with better skills and more discipline.

IMHO, the greatest need is #1 a veteran defenseman, preferably a big nasty one. The kids did alright, but they dont know how to buckle down and play the defensive style that you need to go with to win in crunch time. The inability to secure the puck in the defending zone and transition to breakout did us in as much as anything this series, and everytime I saw another behind the back, back hand behind the net pass that ended up in a Shark-Pred battle along the boards instead of a breakout, I wanted to put my foot through the TV.

#1. I'd say bye to Kariya, Timonen, and Forsberg (i'd like to see him back, but dont see it happening).

#2. Pay Hartnell what it takes. Young power forwards who play the game like him dont come around very often, and here we have a homegrown fan favorite. If you dont pony up the cash now what happens when Rads or Weber are up for contracts.

#3. Sign a veteran #1 d-man.

#4. Sign a center for the 3rd line.

Oh, and yeah, maybe get a new coach and see if there's any freakin way possible we can get Mike Grier in a Predator uniform. Ill gladly sign over any unborn children I may have in the future if it would help.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Mikeymikeymikey

Send a message via AIM to Mikeymikeymikey
If you guys got Briere, I would think he should play on the line with Dumont since they had great chemistry in Buffalo.

Mikeymikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:11 AM
predhead1

We absolutely must sign a legitimate #1 Dman. Let Timonen walk - his skillset can be replaced by Hamhuis or Suter. This series showed that no matter what we did to improve the center position, San Jose's forwards still ran roughshod over our defense. Hopefully the young guys will continue to add some muscle, but guys like Timonen and Zids are what they are. And I think we can and must do better than BOTH of them.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Felix09

I would like Kariya to stay, but I know he didn't play well. I think he was too small for this matchup against the Sharks!

Kariya-Drury-Erat
Dumont-Arnott-Sullivan
-Legwand-Radulov
(player remaining)

I would like the offense to look like that

Felix09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkariya#1 View Post
I think he was too small for this matchup against the Sharks!
It didn't hurt him last year, where he was our best player. Listening to that post game interview, Kariya pretty much spelled things out. He's done here.

Quote:
Kariya-Drury-Erat
Dumont-Arnott-Sullivan
-Legwand-Radulov
(player remaining)
Again, I don't think we have the money to sign Drury.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:23 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Maybe i'm in the minority here, but I'd be pretty happy with Legwand and Arnott as the #1 and #2 centers.
I wish Arnott would use his size more. He sure didn't "play big" in this playoff series.
I would let Nichol go.....takes too many DUMB ASS penalties. That spear last night was stupidy at it's best!

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Jarnberg

Lets not forget, several guys' contracts are going up next season, including Erat (150,000), Legwand (500,000ish), Dumont (500,000), Tootoo (200,000), Hamhuis (250,000), Suter (400,000ish) and the big one, Vokoun (3,000,000).

That gives us even less room to work with. About $5 million less.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
DG

A comment on the OP - I heard Handzus is asking for something ridiculous like 4 mil. I'd avoid him.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Can we not cut Tootoo? I'd pay $200,000 to see him leave.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
A comment on the OP - I heard Handzus is asking for something ridiculous like 4 mil. I'd avoid him.
Wow. I like the guy's play, but not for that much..

Old
04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Weber, Hamhuis and Suter are the keys to our defense, but we need more physical play.
Hatcher for Zid?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Here is what Irish Blues' website has us listed for next year:
Arnott - 4.5 Mil
Zidlicky - 3.2 Mil
Sullivan - 3.2 Mil
Vokoun - 5.3 Mil
Dumont - 2.5 Mil
Legwand - 2.1 Mil
Erat - 1.75 Mil
Hamhuis - 1.75
Mason - 1.25
Radulov - 688,940
Weber - 475,000
Ruzicka - 525,000
Tootoo - 700,000
Suter - 942,400
Vigilante - 475,000
Peverly - 490,000

28,096,340 is where we are at right now without playing a game next season ... Who needs an offensive defenseman that can't score in the postseason? ... that combined 6.4/year for the next few years is gonna bite us in the ass

Old
04-21-2007, 01:15 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Hatcher for Zid?
Honestly, I'd rather pay Zids money to Hatcher. Hatch isn't the answer to all our problems, but I think he would add more value to this team than Zidlicky. Hatcher impressed me quite a bit as the season progressed.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Hey, this is a Devils fan inquiring about Zidlicky. NJ needs another offensive d-man/PP QB, probably someone with a right-handed shot, and Zidlicky seems to fit the bill. I know he had a down year this season, but I'm more interested in hearing about his defensive play (I think being the go-to guy on the Devils blueline could rekindle his offensive prowess). I've always pictured him as someone who isn't horrible defensively, and brings a degree of feistiness to the game despite his stature and role. Is this correct? How is he at making the first pass and skating the puck out? What would it take to get him? Oduya? Bergfors? Tallackson + pick?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
Hey, this is a Devils fan inquiring about Zidlicky. NJ needs another offensive d-man/PP QB, probably someone with a right-handed shot, and Zidlicky seems to fit the bill. I know he had a down year this season, but I'm more interested in hearing about his defensive play (I think being the go-to guy on the Devils blueline could rekindle his offensive prowess). I've always pictured him as someone who isn't horrible defensively, and brings a degree of feistiness to the game despite his stature and role. Is this correct? How is he at making the first pass and skating the puck out? What would it take to get him? Oduya? Bergfors? Tallackson + pick?
a prospect AND/OR a pick

Old
04-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Mason and Zidlicky are both likely traded........that is assuming we go after Timonen or another top FA defenseman.

04-21-2007, 02:53 PM
xEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Can we not cut Tootoo? I'd pay $200,000 to see him leave.
I'm glad you're not the GM. You might want to involve him in a trade first?

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEx View Post
I'm glad you're not the GM. You might want to involve him in a trade first?
no one wants a talentless thug ... he had all of 9 points this year 27 points in 169 total games ... 1 assist in 12 playoff games ... not really a high scorer ... and he doesn't do well against the boards

Old
04-21-2007, 03:08 PM
xEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think Mason and Zidlicky are both likely traded........that is assuming we go after Timonen or another top FA defenseman.
I think Mason is the number one trade asset Nashville has. I could see Toronto more than willing to listen to offers. They're looking to bring someone in to battle with Raycroft while Poggy develops in the AHL. But other than Tucker (scoring/grit) I don't see anything else Nashville would be interested in.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote