HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now What?

Old
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Now What?

Just curious what "other" ramifications this will have, just tossing out some random topics of conversation

1) What other coaches/trainers/front office staff will still be around at the start of next season?
2) What about broadcast staff, Will Rimer follow Dougie again?
3) What about the Junior Jackets?
4) Will we still switch logos/jerseys?
5) How will the hosting of the draft be affected?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Just curious what "other" ramifications this will have, just tossing out some random topics of conversation

1) What other coaches/trainers/front office staff will still be around at the start of next season?
I doubt most of this stuff besides number 1 will be affected. There are too many other people in place to effect the other things. A new President GM will tinker with hockey related elements, but will let the PR people do the PR things.. etc.

I'd like to see the new GM sit down with Hitch and make a new plan as far as coaching/traingers/ front office.

Rims is probably under contract with the team, so he'll play through but migh look elsewhere when that is over.

CBJSlash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

1) This will take time, save for maybe the coaches, who would have been dealt with anyway.
2) Follow him where?
3) What about 'em?
4) Yes.
5) Doug MacLean will not the the GM of the host team.

Old
04-19-2007, 12:33 PM
blahblah

I am looking forward to new player development and scouting personell.

No ones going to be following Doug anywhere for a long while, if ever. Unless it's to PEI.

I will be interested to see what Hitch does with the coaches for next year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Resident Lune
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Resident Lune Send a message via MSN to Resident Lune
Quote:
It seems pretty reasonable to assume that Gord Murphy and Gary Agnew will get the axe, due to a combination of being MacLean loyalists and also the poor PP/PK all season long. Outside of that, I'd presume that Clint Malarchuk (goaltending coach) stays.

Quote:
Possibly? Too bad Brian Engblom would never return. Well, that and he's a color commentator, just like Gare, and we already have Gare (which I think is good, since he's started to grow on most people it seems).

Maybe Pascal Leclaire can play-by-play. He spends more than enough time in the press box, as it is.

Quote:
Did you know they finished their season 5-5 in the last 10? Additionally, USHL has all teams in the playoffs, regardless of final standings. A bit anticlimactic, but ... eh, it's a developmental league for younger players. The more time to play the merrier.

I've heard that they're going to start housing the players in Columbus next season, instead of what was apparently a back-and-forth trip to Cleveland nearly all the time. That'll hopefully have a positive impact on them.

Quote:
That seems pretty written in stone, regardless of whether or not Doug's around.

Quote:

Army of the Ohio - A CBJ Blog
Resident Lune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Casework

Hahahah, Lune. Nice.

I think this will ultimately come down to what the new GM and Hitch can agree on together. Like Lune, I think Agnew and Murphy will be gone, but Malarchuk is a must keep kind of guy.

I'd say it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay, especially with his ties to 1460 The Fan. Unless Doug goes to another team by next year, I see Rimer staying with Columbus for now.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the Junior Jackets, but I assume all will continue as planned.

Yes. I doubt Doug has much to do with the issue other than the final say of what goes. Since there's been such a mess around the new jerseys, I assume it's too late to make any changes with Reebok. Also, the new design was chosen because fans liked it so much - I don't see a GM coming in and changing anything like that, it's what we all want.

I'm with Lune on this answer.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:54 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Honestly, I don't see any potential problems with the Draft... Doug made a plan, others will be carrying it out, others who (at least at the moment) have jobs in the CBJ Front Office.

I don't see a problem even if a new GM takes the reins for the draft, I don't see an entire housecleaning organizationally, Just most of direct MacLean Cronies, Clark will not be with this team next year, neither with Boyd, Strumm, Castron and perhaps some of the scouts (Gallant) Hitch may also recommend that he be allowed to bring in his own assistant/associate coaches. So later to Murph and Aggs

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Mr Mac

If I'm Maclean (and I'm not) I'm taking the year off and having fun spending my $800,000 buy out.

Wouldn't surprise me to see nearly everyone back next year.
Most of the problems are on the ice, not in the office or broadcast.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I would love to see a housecleaning of the entire scouting staff - call me crazy, but I have never, ever been enamoured of Don Boyd. He has never impressed me with his knowledge and I don't trust his judgment on potential picks whatsoever. He was clearly in over his head when he started the job (take a look at his first 2 drafts) and has gotten only marginally better.

I think his (hopefully) vacant position could be just as critical of a hire as the new GM.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:26 PM
kicksave55

1) What other coaches/trainers/front office staff will still be around at the start of next season?My guess is Hitch probably keeps Malarchuk and brings in two or three of his guys for the other assistant spots. Training staff, who knows. Front office will probably see some turn over when New GM shows up.

2) What about broadcast staff, Will Rimer follow Dougie again?If we're lucky...but we're Jacket fans, so we're not.

3) What about the Junior Jackets? Gotta figure they hang on a bit longer. Maybe they'll make people aware they exist this year?

4) Will we still switch logos/jerseys? Yes, probably already submitted to the league, at least an early design.

5) How will the hosting of the draft be affected? Most of it probably already in place. Though, I think this is one place we'll actually miss Doug...he was pretty passionate about getting the draft here, now he doesn't get to show off the city. Hope New GM does...

kicksave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
As long as Malarchuk is back, and the jerseys are different, I'm good

The "strength and conditioning" guys can take a hike (maybe send them to Nashville? might give us a shot against them next year )

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:29 AM
TPS 61*

Send a message via AIM to TPS 61*
Why are we getting new jerseys again?

TPS 61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:37 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacketsfan614 View Post
Why are we getting new jerseys again?
..b/c our current ones are some of the ugliest in the league and the 3rd jersey logo is clearly more popular with the fan base.

That and the NHL as a whole is going with a new form fitting design....good time to make the switch.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 06:01 AM
X0ssbar

According to Clarke - business as usual:

Quote:
Blue Jackets interim general manager Jim Clark has told the rest of the club's front-office employees to go about their days and perform their jobs as they would under normal circumstances.

Even though, as Clark said, these are far from normal times in Nationwide Arena. On Wednesday, Doug MacLean was fired as president and general manager.

"We're in flux right now," Clark said. "The guy who has given us our direction for the past seven seasons is gone, and people here are getting over the shock and disappointment of not having Doug at the helm anymore.

"But, at the same time, everybody knows they have a job to do. I have total confidence they're doing their jobs as well as ever. Whoever is running the ship here in the future will be more than happy with the group of people."

The Blue Jackets' amateur scouting staff remains spread across Canada and Europe, scouting players who will be eligible for the NHL entry draft in Columbus in June.

The pro scouts, meanwhile, are splitting time between the American Hockey League playoffs and the Stanley Cup playoffs, evaluating players whose contracts are up at the end of the season or players who are rumored to be available via trade during the summer.

"I've told them to zero in on a few guys," Clark said.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/disp...1_146F2PG.html

Old
04-21-2007, 06:22 AM
jagpanzer

If losing Doug paralyzes the organization that bad, then we were desparately in need of a change. I'm sure everyone has a good idea of what they need to be doing at this time of the year. If not, then some serious housecleaning does need to happen when the new Sheriff is in town.

I don't imagine it is really affecting the NHL either - I would guess they have several people involved in the coordination of the Draft and have been working with other staff in the host city beyond the GM. The GM's job was to get the Draft here - now it's been handed off to subordinates.

If the new GM keeps the bulk of the staff, these few weeks without a "leader" may be good for their growth. Just like the Crunchers got a chance to work together without lots of veteran leaders on the ice at the end of the year. Silver lining perhaps.

jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Basically, I've noticed that the people that didn't want MacLean gone have been using that We will be no closer, if not farther from the playoffs.

First off, explain yourselves...

Second off, you're wrong.

Media members close to team, Portzline especially, has said repeated that this team isn't as close as you may think to the playoffs.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:37 AM
MFRONE

In one of the last shows on 1460 Doug said the new jersey has been finished and they wanted to unveil it at the home finale, so I'm pretty sure that means there will be no changes regardless of who the new GM is

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Basically, I've noticed that the people that didn't want MacLean gone have been using that We will be no closer, if not farther from the playoffs.

First off, explain yourselves...

Second off, you're wrong.

Media members close to team, Portzline especially, has said repeated that this team isn't as close as you may think to the playoffs.
You know I don't ever remember anyone who completely sided on the firing Doug would be a mistake side. There were a few, myself included, that would have given Doug one final chance to make his mark, meaning this draft, the free agent period and through the first quarter of next year. Now that he is gone, it's water under the bridge and time to move forward hopefully to bigger and better things.

As far as Portzline and the Dispatch gang, some HF hockey fans can make as good a judgement on the status of the team as they can. They may not have the inside scoop as far as being able to talk to the GM, coach, team members or other media types that the Dispatch beat writers have. But they follow hockey on a daily basis, have followed prospects through their pre-NHL careers and can judge the level and talent on this team in comparison to other teams. Do you give that much credit to the beat writers on their opinions of the prospects in the organization or their knowledge of the eligible draft prospects this year? Or is it possible that the beat writers look at the here and now and don't look outside of the box. Portzline and Co. may be right that the team isn't as close to the playoffs as some may think. It is also possible that the team isn't as far from the playoffs as Portzline and Co. may think.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
In one of the last shows on 1460 Doug said the new jersey has been finished and they wanted to unveil it at the home finale, so I'm pretty sure that means there will be no changes regardless of who the new GM is
Agree. There is no turning back on the new jersey design, thank gawd.

Also we have to keep in mind that only hockey related issues will be under the GM's control. I would think things like marketing, jersey design, etc would be more of a President's task so as its kind of been alluded to in some articles, Priest has been in the shadows since the GG firing and subsequent Hitchcock hiring - I'm sure he's onboard with the new design.

Granted it never hurts to get the opinion of the GM/Coach/Players of such things.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:49 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

MORE IMPORTANTLY...AND QUITE SERIOUSLY....

What about our cannon?

I'll be tickled pink just by that next season.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote