HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The "C" next year

Old
04-06-2007, 01:47 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
I would give it to Weight.
I don't think we should, but if Weight becomes Team Captain, then I will totally support it. It's not like he is undeserving. He's proven himself season after season and would make a great Captain. I'd award it Jackman.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
kimzey59

1) As Andy alluded to in his recent blog; it is unlikely that Drake retires, and out of the question as far as the Blues forcing him out. Drake WILl return as Captain next year so this is a non-issue.

2) That said, in the spirit of the thread, how about this for an idea: rotate the Captaincy like Buffalo does. Let Dougy wear the C one month and then switch it to Jax for a month. Repeat however many times necissary until either we get eliminated from the PO's or win the SC.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:19 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I don't think anybody not on crack has talked about Drake being let go. Many people have discussed the possibility that he will retire, but I'm going with approximately zero chance that the Blues will cut him loose. What kind of organization releases their captain?
If he does retire, which no one other than random yahoo fans have discussed, then it's either Jackman or Weight. Slight chance for Jammer, who would be my pick just from a fan's standpoint. After that, I'd choose Jackman. I'd love to see how he'd perform with that kind of responsibility. But I think it'd actually be Weight.

I guess the other possibility is that Drake remains with the team, but due to injury or other circumstances, hands over the captaincy and becomes an alternate captain when he's in the lineup. Weight with the C, Jackman, Drake, McKee, and Mayers as potential A's.
The Lightning...

I'm 95% postive Drake will return next year, but if i could choose?

Weight and Jackman double captaincy

or Jackman C and Weight A... with the 2nd A going to McClement, Stempniak, Rucinsky, and Mayers.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:42 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) As Andy alluded to in his recent blog; it is unlikely that Drake retires, and out of the question as far as the Blues forcing him out. Drake WILl return as Captain next year so this is a non-issue.

2) That said, in the spirit of the thread, how about this for an idea: rotate the Captaincy like Buffalo does. Let Dougy wear the C one month and then switch it to Jax for a month. Repeat however many times necissary until either we get eliminated from the PO's or win the SC.
If this is truely decide for next year already, this is the 1st mistake of the 07-08 season. Anyone who watched Drake play this year, could telll that he is shot/done, whatever you want to call it. We have a similar player in Johnson, who plays his role rather well. No need to have 2 exact same players doing the same thing.

So it pretty much boils down to 1 thing. Do you want Drake on this team, or would you like to have Oshie and/or Soderberg up playing in the NHL team next seeason? My choice is to force the old guy out, if he doesn't leave on his own.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Sorry, but I think the Blues organization is too calssy to force Drake out. They could entice him to do some T.V. or radio work. I rather enjoyed the session he did on the radio recently, especially b/c he didn't beat around the bush and had similar thoughts to those we fans have.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:07 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
If this is truely decide for next year already, this is the 1st mistake of the 07-08 season. Anyone who watched Drake play this year, could telll that he is shot/done, whatever you want to call it.
I'm not disagreeing on any particular issue; I'm just stating the facts as we know them.

Quote:
We have a similar player in Johnson, who plays his role rather well. No need to have 2 exact same players doing the same thing.
We have more than just TWO players in this mold.
RJ, Jammer, Hinote and Drake are pretty well carbon copies of one another.
If I were running the team I wouldn't have that many similar players; but I'm not the one running the team. For now I'll trust JD's judgement. If we start benching our offensive players for the likes of this group(*Cough* Kitchen *Cough*) I'll rethink my stance; until then I'll just stand back and watch what Murray and JD turn this team in to.

Quote:
So it pretty much boils down to 1 thing. Do you want Drake on this team, or would you like to have Oshie and/or Soderberg up playing in the NHL team next seeason? My choice is to force the old guy out, if he doesn't leave on his own.
Our grinders will have NO IMPACT on what happens with our youngsters. Murray is too smart to put a player like Oshie or Soderberg on the 4th line. As we saw with Backes; Murray will put offensive players in offensive roles. He doesn't use the Kitchen philosophy of "you work your way up from the 4th line; if you can't grind, you don't play".

No, the players that will be impacted by Oshie/Soderberg are the players like Cajanek and Rucinsky. THEY are the ones who will be scratched/moved if Oshie and/or Soderberg is forcing us to keep them on the roster.

Old
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
If this is truely decide for next year already, this is the 1st mistake of the 07-08 season. Anyone who watched Drake play this year, could telll that he is shot/done, whatever you want to call it. We have a similar player in Johnson, who plays his role rather well. No need to have 2 exact same players doing the same thing.

you sound like John Tortorella... scary.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:01 PM
StLooFrenchy

Even though Drake will more than likely play here next year, as this year has evidenced, he will most certainly not play an entire season. His absence will leave a roster spot open for a grinder, such as DJ King, not a scorer. I can live with this scenario for another season. The Blues organ-I-zation would never unceremoniously ditch a man that gave his blood, sweat, and tears for the team and fans. There is a reason he wears the "C", he is a leader on and off.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I'm not disagreeing on any particular issue; I'm just stating the facts as we know them.

We have more than just TWO players in this mold.
RJ, Jammer, Hinote and Drake are pretty well carbon copies of one another.
If I were running the team I wouldn't have that many similar players; but I'm not the one running the team. For now I'll trust JD's judgement. If we start benching our offensive players for the likes of this group(*Cough* Kitchen *Cough*) I'll rethink my stance; until then I'll just stand back and watch what Murray and JD turn this team in to.

Our grinders will have NO IMPACT on what happens with our youngsters. Murray is too smart to put a player like Oshie or Soderberg on the 4th line. As we saw with Backes; Murray will put offensive players in offensive roles. He doesn't use the Kitchen philosophy of "you work your way up from the 4th line; if you can't grind, you don't play".

No, the players that will be impacted by Oshie/Soderberg are the players like Cajanek and Rucinsky. THEY are the ones who will be scratched/moved if Oshie and/or Soderberg is forcing us to keep them on the roster.

Definitely agree that all are carbon copies one another. But if I am not mistaken, both Hinote and Mayers are signed for next season. And I have always like RJ's hustle/speed/PKing ability. Now with RJ/Mayers/Hinote making up you 4th/energy line, if you add any more 4th liners to the team that takes away from your 3rd line. Which I believe that you have to have a solid 3rd line to compete in the NHL. Drake would hurt any 3rd line the league.

I am not going to feel sorry if any are affended by reality. But facts must be faced, especially when it comes to Dallas Drake. Give him a job in the organization somewhere else than on the ice during the games.

But bac on track with the thread, my vote would be for Weight to get the C.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Definitely agree that all are carbon copies one another. But if I am not mistaken, both Hinote and Mayers are signed for next season. And I have always like RJ's hustle/speed/PKing ability.

Here's the problem: All 4 of our grinders are under contract for next year; PLUS we have DJ King who's played better than any of them. That pretty well has the 4th line spots filled PLUS a spot on the 3rd line.

Quote:
Now with RJ/Mayers/Hinote making up you 4th/energy line, if you add any more 4th liners to the team that takes away from your 3rd line. Which I believe that you have to have a solid 3rd line to compete in the NHL. Drake would hurt any 3rd line the league.
Drake might hurt a 3rd line; but I'm not convinced that Jammer would. He may have poor hands; but he hit the 15 goal mark last year. If he can hover around that mark on a yearly basis he would be acceptable as the "weakest link" on a 3rd line(and I think playing with better linemates(McClement/Cajanek/Oshie) than RJ, Metropolit, Neiminen and King would be enough to get him up to that mark).

Quote:
I am not going to feel sorry if any are affended by reality. But facts must be faced, especially when it comes to Dallas Drake. Give him a job in the organization somewhere else than on the ice during the games.
And again, I'm not disagreeing on any particular issue when it comes to Drake.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:37 PM
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I'm with you on this one. This 26 year old happens to be Jackman.

Sponsored by "The Jackman for Captain" campaign.
See, and then we use the marketing tag "Captain Jack." Works out great.

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Plagers4Ever

C - Doug Weight
A - Barrett Jackman
A - Lee Stempniak

Plagers4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote