HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Thoughts For Next Year Via Free Agency..

Old
04-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Which is why I say, if the team goes around thinking "we can't make the playoffs" then they're never going to. If they say "we should make the playoffs", they've got a better chance ... even if it's not much.

I still say it's way too early to decide anything conclusively about this team in 2007-08. I think what this team does at the draft and in the first 10-15 days of free agency will give us a much better picture of the coming year.

04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
St.Louis sports fan

vCash: 500
This team struggled mightily scoring goals last year with Tkachuk and Guerin on the team and unless they swing a deal or sign an unexpected couple of FA they will struggled more next year. You're right IB it is way too early to write them totally off, but looking at what they have right now...I'm not drinking the kool-aid.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) YES, it does mean something, especially since JD has recently echoed those same sentiments. While YOU may consider Brewer overrated; the TEAM veiws him as one of the top 2 D men at the moment. He is a CORE player for us and is stating this teams objective for next year. If a message from one of the core players on this team isn't clear enough for you nothing ever will be.

2) This team does NOT VIEW ITSELF as a middling team like most of you think. Brewer's comment is evidence that JD is looking at Murray's initial stretch with this team and expects a PO berth next year(and NOT a 7 or 8 seed). JD is going into this offseason with an "on the cusp" attitude. This team has NO INTENTION of being a way-station for another year. If we sign somebody, it will be with intention of having them help us in the PO's; NOT as a trade chip to get more #1 picks.
I am not arguing against them having the attitude. You and I both agree that they should have the attitude they have.

But with all due respect, as we sit here today we are far from a playoff team. If we add a lot of scoring in the offseason and get lucky with respect to injuries and the team gets on a roll like they were in the middle of the season then sure, I can see it. If they play like they did at the end (.500) then no way.

Awesome attitude for them to have. Again, we have no argument about that. JD should help infuse the team with that attitude and expectation. But the roster we have today will absolutely not get it done. Let's see what they do and discuss it later.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:45 PM
barnburner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
If you've got an average team and think, "gee, we're an average team", chances are they'll play like an average team. However, if you've got an average team but think you can beat anyone, they'll probably overachieve and have a better chance of making something special happen. I think that's what JD wants - despite everything we have in the pipeline and everything they're trying to do, all of the pieces will more than likely never be in place so that we're perfectly set ... but if we play with an attitude and play with confidence, we can overcome it.
Shades of Jacque Demers..

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote