Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings in 5

Old
04-10-2007, 08:12 AM
BlowPhish

vCash: 500
I'm not sure home ice advantage has as much of an impact in the playoffs as it does in the regular season. In a playoff series you get to get used to the other teams ice, playing there up to 4 times. Just think about how much Jarome and Mikka will be wanting to win. I can think of a number of guys who will go to the wall to win it all. This is a good playoff squad with some depth this time. Flames in 7.

BlowPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowPhish View Post
I'm not sure home ice advantage has as much of an impact in the playoffs as it does in the regular season. In a playoff series you get to get used to the other teams ice, playing there up to 4 times. Just think about how much Jarome and Mikka will be wanting to win. I can think of a number of guys who will go to the wall to win it all. This is a good playoff squad with some depth this time. Flames in 7.

I couldn't resist answering your post-- due to your screen name, of course. The thing I don't get about the Flames is exactly why they were so much worse on the road this year. I can see a bit of fluctuation especially preferring home ice... but what do the guys here think caused it?

Old
04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I couldn't resist answering your post-- due to your screen name, of course. The thing I don't get about the Flames is exactly why they were so much worse on the road this year. I can see a bit of fluctuation especially preferring home ice... but what do the guys here think caused it?
I guess I will chime in here. I believe there was a lack of urgency. The Flames needed to make the playoffs. When they had to be to make the playoffs, they were dynamite on the road. The played like gangbusters for the home crowd. Had some relatively lengthy periods where they were unbeatable at home. Every challenge at some time or other during the year, has been met by this team.

When the Flames were a gritty, defensive team, every battle they got into was defensive and gritty. Teams geared up for them, knowing which type of game they were going to have, before the puck was even dropped. Consequently, teams used the Flames to tune up for the playoffs. IMHO by the time the playoffs arrived, the Flames had been playing playoff hockey all year long. I believe it had it's toll on them last year.

This time, the Flames are not considered a dominating defensive team. That is not to say they can't play that way, just that they don't play that way night in and night out.

By the same token, they are not a strictly offensive team either, but they can bring it when they have to. What team are you gonna face on any given night? Your guess is as good as mine. If there is any team poised to be surprising in this playoffs, it is the Flames.

They are a true sleeper and if you look at what has happened for the last several Stanley Cups, sleepers have faired quite well for themselves. Bring it on.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 05:03 PM
BlowPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I guess I will chime in here. I believe there was a lack of urgency. The Flames needed to make the playoffs. When they had to be to make the playoffs, they were dynamite on the road. The played like gangbusters for the home crowd. Had some relatively lengthy periods where they were unbeatable at home. Every challenge at some time or other during the year, has been met by this team.

When the Flames were a gritty, defensive team, every battle they got into was defensive and gritty. Teams geared up for them, knowing which type of game they were going to have, before the puck was even dropped. Consequently, teams used the Flames to tune up for the playoffs. IMHO by the time the playoffs arrived, the Flames had been playing playoff hockey all year long. I believe it had it's toll on them last year.

This time, the Flames are not considered a dominating defensive team. That is not to say they can't play that way, just that they don't play that way night in and night out.

By the same token, they are not a strictly offensive team either, but they can bring it when they have to. What team are you gonna face on any given night? Your guess is as good as mine. If there is any team poised to be surprising in this playoffs, it is the Flames.

They are a true sleeper and if you look at what has happened for the last several Stanley Cups, sleepers have faired quite well for themselves. Bring it on.
I agree with this poster. It's like the team didn't really want to win on the road. I think maybe they might have been a little too comfortable with their chances of making the playoffs. Is the coaching a problem? Well that extra effort lacking on the road is usually up to you coach or mentor to squeeze out of you so I'd have to say its a part of it. However, it was Playfair's first year and he got us to the playoffs. Now the real season starts and the players wont need any extra motivation.

BlowPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
And that is the very reason he wont do it because for the whole year we have pretty much seen how average playfair is and if he didn't have the balls to undermine him then, then why do it at such a crucial point now.

That incident where he had a speech with them before the road trip was just a one off believe it
I'm not on the "Fire Playfair" bandwagon and what not (although I do think he has some flaws), but it's a bit concerning how this team seems to come out flat and revert to sloppy hockey on a regular basis. That's a coaching problem (and motivation) problem I think.

That said, I think that the Flames come to play for real this time and take the series in 6 games (with 5 Games being of the 1 goal variety).

Also, Sutter called out Hamrlik in the paper today and said that he needs to be a good influence for Phaneuf. I wouldn't be surprised if he may send another message or two to the team.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Every challenge at some time or other during the year, has been met by this team.
I'm sorry, but I had to chime in on this. If that's the case then why did we barely manage to squeak into the playoffs? Had Colorado not lost to Nashville we probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Can mods please ban this troll?

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
gothenburg_hardrock

bump

gothenburg_hardrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:39 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
I'm sorry, but I had to chime in on this. If that's the case then why did we barely manage to squeak into the playoffs? Had Colorado not lost to Nashville we probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year.
It must burn you up inside when the Flames win. So far your prediction "Red Wings in 5" is ********. Where are you now saying Wings in 6? Common, common. Flames in 6 and you never post on this forum again deal??? Do the rest of us a favour.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary View Post
Quote FTW

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary View Post
No way!! Let this tuna sammich continue to post here. He irritates me to no end, but also when he's flat out wrong (happens quite a bit too) it's right freaking hilarious. Gives me a solid giggle it does

Time to melt those bites eh IC?

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:46 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Woulda, coulda, shoulda .... if the Flames had to, they would have played Iginla and a few other major contributors in the last few games. Clinching with games remaining is not backing in dude. Colorado gave it a hell of a run, but they fell short. Face it, the Flames had played well enough to get into the playoffs well ahead of the end of the season. That Colorado had that amazing run at the end of the season was a surprise, but they had to play like madmen to be even close and still, it wasn't good enough. The Flames simply did what they had to do to get in, then they conserved their energy. Now you want to imply the last games is indicative of all they've got when their backs are to the wall? Total garbage.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFeva View Post
It must burn you up inside when the Flames win.
It burns me up inside when the Flames lose, not when they win. I am a Flames fan after all.

I would say Red Wings in 6 but the Flames still have one more game remaining at home, so I'll say Red Wings in 7.

Obviously I'm hoping the Flames can pull it out, but let's be honest here, Detroit's been the far superior of the two teams so far. We shall see if that changes.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 04-21-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old
04-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
It burns me up inside when the Flames lose, not when they win. I am a Flames fan after all.

I would say Red Wings in 6 but the Flames still have one more game remaining at home, so I'll say Red Wings in 7.

Obviously I'm hoping the Flames can pull it out, but let's be honest here, Detroit's been the far superior of the two teams so far. We shall see if that changes.
a flames fan would not ever put that as their avatar... even me who is easily angered would never have an avatar like that... supporting another team is one thing but having something that basically disses your team as your avatar is not something a fan would do

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:15 PM
zBearcat

Icbites says the Flames won't make the playoffs - Wrong

Icbites says the Wings in 5 - Wrong

Icbites says he's a Flames fan - well going with the trend here I'd say he's wrong again.

zBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Beetmaster General

Send a message via AIM to Beetmaster General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
a flames fan would not ever put that as their avatar... even me who is easily angered would never have an avatar like that... supporting another team is one thing but having something that basically disses your team as your avatar is not something a fan would do
hell even supporting another team is a hangable offense in my books

Beetmaster General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
Icbites says the Flames won't make the playoffs - Wrong

Icbites says the Wings in 5 - Wrong

Icbites says he's a Flames fan - well going with the trend here I'd say he's wrong again.
Icbites says Wings will win this series - Right

Whether the Flames can force a seventh and deciding game is futile IMHO. There's no way in hell they can win at the Joe.

This series is done.

Old
04-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetmaster General View Post
hell even supporting another team is a hangable offense in my books
I'm not supporting another team, I'm just not supporting the Flames. Call me fairweather, call me a traitor, call me whatever the hell you want. I just haven't been enamoured with this team (I haven't been enamoured with them since the end of the lockout.)

Totally outclassed this series.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 04-21-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old
04-21-2007, 06:18 PM
chriss_co

i think you will have to bring proof to the table that you have EVER cheered for the flames

cuz frankly, none of us believe you

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 06:47 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
I say [random team out of 30] will eventually end their season with a dissapointing loss. Most importantly it shall occur!

Eventually...

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Brootte

Quote:

Whether the Flames can force a seventh and deciding game is futile IMHO. There's no way in hell they can win at the Joe.

This series is done.
I hope this come's back to bite you in the a**

Brootte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Red Wings in 5

Quote:
That's my prediction. I was right last year (about Anaheim) and I'm pretty sure I'll be right again. Should be a short series, sorry to have to tell you.
So I was off by one game. Sue me.

Old
04-23-2007, 12:45 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
i think you will have to bring proof to the table that you have EVER cheered for the flames

cuz frankly, none of us believe you
Of course he doesn't cheer for the Flames, nor any other NHL team that I could imagine. The only person/place/thing icbites cheers for is himself, no matter what team he is a fan of it has to take a backseat to him being right, as it would from any narcissist.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
You are correct. There is a big difference in highlight reel Dion and everyday Dion. I'm sorry but i'm starting to get worried that hes just a young Mccabe who can hit..I'd way rather have Websy..But thats a completely different topic.
That is a very discouraging and scary notion. Dion's fabulous for other people who don't follow the team, his stats look good, but he just doesn't have it when it matters. He's soft defensively, inconsistent, and has played poorly in the playoffs (he was hurt last year's playoffs, what about this year's?). Now, Dion is only 21 but to see this is very disconcerting, as he was much better last year than this year. Let's hope he works hard this summer to round his game so he becomes the next Zubov, Stevens, or Pronger instead of the next McCabe. Giving up on him at this point would be ridiculous.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:20 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
That is a very discouraging and scary notion. Dion's fabulous for other people who don't follow the team, his stats look good, but he just doesn't have it when it matters. He's soft defensively, inconsistent, and has played poorly in the playoffs (he was hurt last year's playoffs, what about this year's?). Now, Dion is only 21 but to see this is very disconcerting, as he was much better last year than this year. Let's hope he works hard this summer to round his game so he becomes the next Zubov, Stevens, or Pronger instead of the next McCabe. Giving up on him at this point would be ridiculous.
What alot of people seem to not understand is that defencemen in the NHL don't mature until their late 20's depending on when they came into the league.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote