HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Danis??

Old
04-22-2007, 01:17 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
What happened to Danis??

I understand that we have really deep goaltending pool and goalies such as Halak, Price and Huet have taken the spot over him but I remember him being pretty good. I remember him getting a shutout in his first game in the NHL (against Atlanta) HE played really well and I felt that he had the talent to be a decent goaltender in the NHL.

Does he still have that potential or has his progress halted this year?
Is his lack of playing time directly due to Halak's emergence (and PRice to a certain extent)?
Do you think he will be moved to another team this summer?
Where does he rank in our goaltending pool? (Huet, Halak, Price, Danis, Heino-Lindberg (spl?))

Thanks !

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I believe he's a UFA come July 1st. I don't see him re-signing.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I believe he's a UFA come July 1st. I don't see him re-signing.
in a Le Presse article he said he want to stay

-----

in October, Danis played not so good (2-4-0) and in November Halak went 7-1-0 with 4 SO and only one game where he allowed 2 goals +

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:37 PM
MM425

IMO, he's still a good goalie prospect. It's just a case where there is no room for him in the organization anymore

He's a UFA as of July 1st. I'd be suprised if he doesn't get a contract with another NHL team, or at the very least another AHL team.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

He can be a great goalie, but he is still inconsistant. Montreal has others that have past him. If he can go to a team that has time for him to develop a little slower, that team could be pleasantly suprised one day.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think Danis is a decent goalie. And I also think we still have lots of room for him in the organization. The nice thing is that he has that passion for playing for the Habs, so I don't see any really significant impediment from his side to him returning. Huet hasn't exactly demonstrated the ability to stay healthy over his career, and as much as we were impressed by Halak down the stretch, he's still young too. If injuries stack up, I like Danis as a stable #3 option. Having him and Price together in Hamilton next year would not be a bad idea IMHO.

That said, I guess it will come down to what the organization wants to do with Desjardins in the short-term, and perhaps on any draft optics we get on goalies, or how they see the Price/Halak/Huet set shaking out over the next 16 months. Personally, I'm not especially convinced that there's a need to advance Desjardins, and I like the idea of keeping Danis around. But if the Habs like Desjardins more than I do, and/or at a longer stretch if they still have any thoughts of luring Heino-Lindberg over, then who knows.

I don't think Danis will be an especially hot commodity on the UFA market... lots of teams have lots of goalies in their systems too. I'd like to see Danis stay in ours if it's at all possible. I'm not sure enough of our questions have been answered at the position, despite the rosy picture we might like to paint, and given Danis' potential affinity for the organization, it's probably a very low-cost option to keep him around as an insurance policy.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Danis hasn't been the same goalie he was 2 years ago imo. He was one of the better goalies in the AHL during his rookie year. Then last year he looked good in his short stint with the Habs but in the 2nd half he struggled with his consistency, Halak was recalled from Long Beach and stole the show with 3 SO's in his 13 starts. Danis was even more inconsistent this year, while Halak caught fire after his 2nd start, yet Danis still got a good amount of starts but had trouble with his consistency, often letting in 3 or more goals (his first 7 starts he let in 3 or more goals every game) he seems to run hot and cold.

I have no clue what his future is with us. I don't know if he'll want to come back now after losing his spot to Price and knowing that next year, Price is the likely starter. Plus the Habs have Leighton, who was really good in the ahl this year. I'm hoping he is in Hamilton next year to backup Price as hopefully we can get him through waivers at the start of the season when teams usually don't need goaltending. But I'd have no problem if it was Price and Danis, I just don't want it to be Price and Desjardins cause I don't like the idea of having two rookies in net.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote