HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

future or Flatt, Furrer....

Old
04-21-2007, 04:44 PM
hockeyfan99

vCash: 500
future or Flatt, Furrer....

How you think

Ranger would sight Koverko, Furrer, Flatt and that they future

hockeyfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:18 PM
eco's bones

Koverko was suspended by his team right before the playoffs for curfew violation. I think he was borderline to begin with. I don't see us signing him and he'll probably try to catch on somewhere as an overage in the OHL next year. Flatt's a possibility I suppose. I expect Purinton will not be back. He seems to fit into a younger version of Dale--maybe. Seems to me to be a pretty longshot to become an NHL player. Furrer has been injury prone but the one time he came over to play in the WJC he was quite impressive. I remember him having good size, being fairly agressive, skated well and had a pretty good slapshot. I'm not sure the Rangers are ready to bring him over. They might bring him over during the summer with their other rookies and take a look at him then and make a decision. With Staal and Sauer coming in and with Reese and Potter finishing off the season in Hartford nicely--might not be any openings for anyone else.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

None of the above. Those 3 are extremely low on the chart when it comes to our defensive prospects.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
None of the above. Those 3 are extremely low on the chart when it comes to our defensive prospects.
I really think they should sign Furrer. Extremely underrated and has a ton of talent.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:45 PM
eco's bones

I like Furrer too though he seems to be injury prone.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Purinton is around for veteran leadership. His shortcomings at the NHL levels have been well documented here and elsewhere but apparently he's a great team player and a real leader in the locker room. You need to have some veteran leadership.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Draft Guru

Flatt was a bust from the second we drafted him. Complete waste of a 3rd round pick. Maloney told his scouts to give him the toughest SOB left, and they took Flatt. It's a shame they went for toughness and not actual hockey ability.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:18 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Flatt was a bust from the second we drafted him. Complete waste of a 3rd round pick. Maloney told his scouts to give him the toughest SOB left, and they took Flatt. It's a shame they went for toughness and not actual hockey ability.
how is a 3rd rd pick a bust? A long shot in making it to NHL, Flatt was never considered as a NHL'er, he was just a tough guy on skates. How this makes him a bust I don't know?

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 05:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's so easy for Monday morning QBing.Some people didn't like the Dane Byers selection either.Or the Fedor Tyutin selection in 2001

Flatt and Koverko are old NHL players.As was Nate Guenin.The Rangers wanted to sign Guenin but when they saw the NHL was actually serious about enforcing their rule book,they didn't offer the NHL contract

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
how is a 3rd rd pick a bust? A long shot in making it to NHL, Flatt was never considered as a NHL'er, he was just a tough guy on skates. How this makes him a bust I don't know?
In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available. Flatt can't skate and has no offensive ability. All he has are his fists, and those aren't even top notch. He was run out of Saskatoon after his teammates lost respect for him when he didn't back them up in their first round playoff series when they got swept (the year he got drafted). I believe it was Prince Albert they played. They were taking liberties against Saskatoon's best players, and he didn't do his job in backing them up. Sure enough he was gone before the next season.

Old
04-22-2007, 03:54 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I really think they should sign Furrer. Extremely underrated and has a ton of talent.
I'm with you I take a flyer on Furrer. I try and sign him to a AHL contract. He's a physical Dman that hits and would be worth a minor league contract and see if he develops further.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I'm with you I take a flyer on Furrer. I try and sign him to a AHL contract. He's a physical Dman that hits and would be worth a minor league contract and see if he develops further.
agree, Potter is looking good who is signed to an AHL contract. Hopefully Potter will get an NHL contract over the summer.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 08:57 AM
nrf83

Quote:
In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available. Flatt can't skate and has no offensive ability. All he has are his fists, and those aren't even top notch. He was run out of Saskatoon after his teammates lost respect for him when he didn't back them up in their first round playoff series when they got swept (the year he got drafted). I believe it was Prince Albert they played. They were taking liberties against Saskatoon's best players, and he didn't do his job in backing them up. Sure enough he was gone before the next season.
I can't figure out if you're agreeing with me, or defending your position that he is a bust. I agree 100% with your eval of Flatt, which makes him a bad pick, but not a bust. To my mind a bust is top 10 overall pick that does not make it in NHL, and even then I hesitate to label anyone a bust. A 1st round pick isn't necessarily a bust. Just because a team drafts you in 1st round doesn't mean that player is guaranteed a NHL roster spot. After that it's such a crapshoot labeling a draft pick a bust is laughable. If Pyatt doesn't make it does that make him a bust? Just because you and I both overvalue NYR draft picks doesn't mean that players we want to promote to NYR are busts if they do not make it.

Old
04-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I always liked Furrer and hope he can make it. He's lost a lot of very important development time to injury, though. Back around the time he was in the WJC, I thought he had the talent of a guy like Baranka and a great attitude to boot. If there's still a chance for him to maximise that potential, he would be worth a contract.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I always liked Furrer and hope he can make it. He's lost a lot of very important development time to injury, though. Back around the time he was in the WJC, I thought he had the talent of a guy like Baranka and a great attitude to boot. If there's still a chance for him to maximise that potential, he would be worth a contract.
Yeah, I felt the same way. Didn't he play in the Olympics too?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, I felt the same way. Didn't he play in the Olympics too?
For some reason I want to say he did, but the stats say he didn't:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=35784

Perhaps he was on their roster? I seem to recall something about neon green hockey skates...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
For some reason I want to say he did, but the stats say he didn't:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=35784

Perhaps he was on their roster? I seem to recall something about neon green hockey skates...
Yeah, I can't find it anywhere but i'm pretty sure he played for the Swiss at the Olympics.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Draft Guru

I believe you guys are referring to the '04 WJC's, which were broadcast on ESPN2.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I believe you guys are referring to the '04 WJC's, which were broadcast on ESPN2.
Its possible, but for some reason I remember him playing against men, thats why I was surprised he had made the team. Could it have been the World Championships, minus the junior?

Old
04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
nrf83

Quote:
yeah, thats correct. I remember Phillipe and his teammates wore those skates with the horrible green color Tuuks. What a spectacle

Old
04-23-2007, 01:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan99 View Post
How you think

Ranger would sight Koverko, Furrer, Flatt and that they future
I'm with pretty much everyone else here, take a flier on Furrer and let the rest walk. I was always intrigued by Koverko's size, though he seems so have very little in terms of actual hockey skills.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
eco's bones

I'm not sure he was the Olympics but he has been playing in the Swiss Elite league starting as a teenager I believe against men for 3 or 4 seasons.

Old
04-23-2007, 03:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'm not sure he was the Olympics but he has been playing in the Swiss Elite league starting as a teenager I believe against men for 3 or 4 seasons.
Yup, Swiss-A the last 4 years.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I doubt Dale is going anywhere, him and Weller are taking Gernander's reins. As rough and tumble as the AHL can be at times, Dale is good to have down there. Plus he is a good leader and a good lockeroom guy. He was often praised by the other players during his tenure with the Rangers. You don't want to give leadership away if the player can still contribute, and in the AHL, Dale can still contribute. He was a marginal NHLer at best, but marginal NHLers can have pretty solid AHL careers.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available.
I remember that draft well. I was hoping they were going to select TJ Hensick with their 3rd round pick because he was still available. I was scratching my head when I read Flatt's description after he was drafted. I was actually hoping they were going to take Paul Stastny with their second round pick, but they took Sauer instead. Sauer wasn't a bad pick but Stastny was just incredible for Colorado this year.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote