HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2007 - 2008 Nashville Predators

Old
04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwendecker View Post
I understand that nashville needs a D-man, but throwing 5 mill. at hannan is just a terrible idea, I know he's good, but he isnt 5 mill good. It's just like the leafs throwing 5 plus at Kubina, it didnt work, hannan is maybe MAYBE a 4 mill. dman
But you see how defense gets overpaid every year. Kim Johnsson got 5 million. Gonchar is getting 5.5, Jay McKee and Willie Mitchell are both getting over 4 million.

I'd take Hannan over every one of those guys.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwendecker View Post
I understand that nashville needs a D-man, but throwing 5 mill. at hannan is just a terrible idea, I know he's good, but he isnt 5 mill good. It's just like the leafs throwing 5 plus at Kubina, it didnt work, hannan is maybe MAYBE a 4 mill. dman
ya know what ... we need a veteran defensive dman like Charlie Sheen needs a hooker ... I'd pay 5 mil for Hannan, but if it only takes 4 mil ... I'm down

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
braindead

Is VV a free agent now?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Is VV a free agent now?
yes.

Old
04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
How about:

Alexander Radulov (689,000) - David Legwand (2,100,000) - Martin Erat (1,750,000)
Steve Sullivan (3,200,000) - Jason Arnott (4,500,000) - J.P. Dumont (2,500,000)
Scott Hartnell (2,500,000) - Michal Handzus (2,500,000) - Taylor Pyatt (1,600,000)
x - Vernon Fiddler (500,000) - Jordin Tootoo (700,000)

Scott Hannan (5,000,000) - Shea Weber (475, 000)
Dan Hamhuis (1,750,000) - Ossi Vaananen (1,600,000)
Ryan Suter (972,000) - Greg Zanon (650,000)

Tomas Vokoun (5,300,000)
Pekka Rinne (500,000)

A couple of things before I get flamed, yes I probably low balled the free agents as this summer player prices are likely to jump up alot. And yes I'd love to think we'd be able to land a Drury or Gomez and these might not be the most ideal pickups, but I'm trying to be somewhat realistic (Hannan is almost too much of a stretch really..)

I also don't necessarily think each Free Agent will want to come to us first or something like that.

And this is assuming Forsberg, Kariya and Timonen go elsewhere yet we somehow keep Hartnell. And we trade Zidlicky and Mason for draft picks or something to that effect.

This roster would be touching $39 million, but we'd still need another 4th liner.
Hey, I like that lineup.

I always liked Vaananan's game, I think he'd fit well here. Hannon isnt worth 5 million, but then again, if thats what a #1 type D-man costs, so be it. But you have to think that a 5-million dollar contract could buy a better player than Hannan.

What about guys like Brad Stuart, Cory Sarich, Glen Wesley, Darryl Sydor (both Sydor and Wesley have rings). Certainly, one or more of those guys could come cheaper than Hannon, provide veteran leadership and experience, and provide a physical stay at home guy that we need.

Handzus is an interesting option. I didnt see much of him at Phily, but he looked damn good, and fast, in Chicago when they played against us. Although we made a bunch of Hawks look good for a couple nights this year.

I like Pyatt's game alot too. Him and Hartnell on the same line would be killer.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Jarnberg

I would still like to keep Timonen somehow. It looks like he's been playing with an injury, that wasn't the Kimmo we know. I don't know what type of motivating he did, so part of our flop can perhaps fall on his leadership from an outsider's point of view.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I would still like to keep Timonen somehow. It looks like he's been playing with an injury, that wasn't the Kimmo we know. I don't know what type of motivating he did, so part of our flop can perhaps fall on his leadership from an outsider's point of view.
I agree...but he needs to understand that he can't price himself as a number 1 d-man...which is the rumor we had heard. If that's the money he wants...I can't see us keeping him.

Old
04-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Jarnberg

Just throwing this out if we somehow get a hometown discount from Kimmo (if he likes it as much as he says..)

Alexander Radulov (689,000) - David Legwand (2,100,000) - Martin Erat (1,750,000)
Steve Sullivan (3,200,000) - Jason Arnott (4,500,000) - J.P. Dumont (2,500,000)
Scott Hartnell (2,500,000) - x - Taylor Pyatt (1,600,000)
x - Vernon Fiddler (500,000) - Jordin Tootoo (700,000)

Scott Hannan (5,000,000) - Kimmo Timonen (3,500,000)
Dan Hamhuis (1,750,000) - Shea Weber (475,000)
Ryan Suter (972,000) - Greg Zanon (650,000)

Tomas Vokoun (5,300,000)
Pekka Rinne (500,000)

Both "lineups" are cutting it close in terms of our budget.

Old
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Jarnberg

I also think that if Poile was willing to offer $5 million to Hannan, he would first offer it to Kimmo. I'm not saying this is the best route, but thats how I think Poile would go.

Old
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
How many more years are Hordichuk, Smithson, Fiddler, Tootoo and Nichol under contract?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Cyberslacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
But you see how defense gets overpaid every year. Kim Johnsson got 5 million. Gonchar is getting 5.5, Jay McKee and Willie Mitchell are both getting over 4 million.

I'd take Hannan over every one of those guys.
Detroit paid Markov (top 4 defenseman) 2.5 last year after the feeding frenzy for DF subsided. Lilja steped up his game as of late and is playing like a top 4 dman for 1 million. All I'm saying is that in the salary cap era, overpaying for anything is a mistake. (Although I will say Kronwall's deal could be an overpayment. Time will tell).

I'll be surprised if Hannan commands 5 million.

Cyberslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
How many more years are Hordichuk, Smithson, Fiddler, Tootoo and Nichol under contract?
Smithson, Nichol are UFAs. Fiddler, Hordichuk are RFAs. Next season is Tootoo's last season under contract, where after that he becomes a RFA.

Old
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We need a third line made up of the Ian Lapperiere's and Steve Konowalchuk's of the world. These guys will score about 10-15 each, but they will cycle, play defense, and cause havoc on the ice. Why we continue to not have a third line that can not do these things is beyond me.....This past year I believe we wanted to roll three scoring lines, but injuries destroyed the plan. This year, we could essentially let Kariya, Forsberg, and Hartnell all walk and still have two very good scoring lines (let it be noted that I would love to have all three back....)

04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We need a third line made up of the Ian Lapperiere's and Steve Konowalchuk's of the world. These guys will score about 10-15 each, but they will cycle, play defense, and cause havoc on the ice. Why we continue to not have a third line that can not do these things is beyond me.....This past year I believe we wanted to roll three scoring lines, but injuries destroyed the plan. This year, we could essentially let Kariya, Forsberg, and Hartnell all walk and still have two very good scoring lines (let it be noted that I would love to have all three back....)
Well earlier in the year, our third line was kind of a mash up unit. Hartnell and Radulov had a hard time getting going with Fiddler or Nichol playing center. Hence the Forsberg trade. Of course then the injuries came. Not too many teams would have been able to match up our 3 lines had we been healthy.

But yes, I essentially agree. We could decide to scrap the 3rd scoring line idea and make it a solid two way line (like alot of other teams). Or if we did go with a third scoring line, the fourth line would have to be the two way players (more expensive route).

Old
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
In Light of our playoffs...

Do you think our playoff crash and burn will deter UFA from signing here?

If the Forsberg run didnt work, what must others think?

Additionally, what do you think Nichol's NHL future will be?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

One of the problems that I believe we have had with our lineup is the major gaps of talent in our scorers and roleplayers. Yes the scorers are supposed to be more talented. However, when all of your role-players are smallish, non-skilled, average speed, character guys your depth is always going to be an issue. Fiddler is a good character guy, but he isn't a terrific faceoff guy, he can't shut down the other teams scorers, and he has hands of stone. Same goes for Tootoo, Smithson, Nichol.......etc., etc.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 03:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

a UFA I would personally love to get a hold of...instead of Handzus, actually...

Stu Barnes. I think he'd be great on our third line, I've always liked him, going back to Florida.

Radulov Legwand Erat
Sullivan Arnott Dumont
Hartnell Barnes Pyatt
Smithson Nichol Fiddler

Old
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Jarnberg

Some gems from an article in today's City Paper:

Quote:
Poile didn’t expect to sign Forsberg to a contract for next season when he was obtained in a trade with Philadelphia in March.

“We knew what the deal was when we traded for him,” Poile said. “It is not about money. We will see how his summer goes. It is a matter of if he physically wants to do this again.”

Quote:
One thing Poile appears to not be very interested in is increasing the size of the Predators with a new addition to the blue line.

“I’m pretty bullish on our defense, especially if we get Kimmo back,” Poile said. “There is no question in my mind that Dan Hamhuis, Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are a pretty good foundation of three younger guys. I think our defense will be fine going forward.”

Poile also downplayed the possibility that goaltender Chris Mason would be traded in the offseason.

“Anything is possible, but right now I am happy that we have really good goaltending,” Poile said. “Why do I want to change that. That is one thing we have taken care of.”

Old
04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

There's a definite tone in Poile's recent interviews. He usually comes off as somewhat reserved\laid back...but...and maybe I'm misreading something...he sounds a little...irritated?

I have to think, though...and maybe I'm off base on this...but language I've heard now from Pete Weber, Barry Trotz, David Poile and even Paul Kariya...

I think both sides are aware Kariya is probably not coming back.

Old
04-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I am really, really surprised about Poile's comments on our blueline. It appears that the only way we will make changes there is if Kimmo forces our hand....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I am really, really surprised about Poile's comments on our blueline. It appears that the only way we will make changes there is if Kimmo forces our hand....
I'm praying he asks for like 6 mil/year x 4 years

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I have to think, though...and maybe I'm off base on this...but language I've heard now from Pete Weber, Barry Trotz, David Poile and even Paul Kariya...

I think both sides are aware Kariya is probably not coming back.
I agree, it doesn't look like he is going to come back. He's been throwing out too many past tense sentences and things like 'well I've enjoyed my time'. I know that its hard to judge what happens because of those, especially when reporters are asking questions immediately after a loss.

I always thought he would be our first priority this off season. I'm sure Leipold wants him back. Our biggest "name" leaving (not counting Forsberg obviously) this off season would look bad locally. Leipold will probably want to keep him even for the name and in light of ticket sales.

I thought going into the season that our playoff run would help Kariya in his decision. If we went deep, he'd likely stay. If we went out early, he'd leave. You also wonder if being snubbed for the All Star game plays any part in this. I know most guys are professional and don't really worry about it, but Kariya came here to rejuvenate things for himself. He wanted to get back on Team Canada. That didn't happen. Now he can't get recognition since he plays in a small market that the media loves to hate.

Old
04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
trotzian brow

Quote:
There's a definite tone in Poile's recent interviews. He usually comes off as somewhat reserved\laid back...but...and maybe I'm misreading something...he sounds a little...irritated?
I, too, noticed irritation and disappointment. Would you not be irritated? He, as the GM, just put together a great team just to see it bounced in the 1st round, again. Watching the team implode after a great game 2.

And yes, I pray that Timonen does ask for an exorbitant amount of money to push this team in a different direction and outlook. There wasn't the proverbial fire out there sans Radulov and Dumont possibly Forsberg, but his seemed to be more frustration. That is what irritated me watching this series; they just crumpled.

How long is Hartnell going to be satisfied playing on the 3rd line?

Last edited by trotzian brow: 04-25-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: too many questions today
trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
predhead1

Quote:
One of the problems that I believe we have had with our lineup is the major gaps of talent in our scorers and roleplayers. Yes the scorers are supposed to be more talented. However, when all of your role-players are smallish, non-skilled, average speed, character guys your depth is always going to be an issue. Fiddler is a good character guy, but he isn't a terrific faceoff guy, he can't shut down the other teams scorers, and he has hands of stone. Same goes for Tootoo, Smithson, Nichol.......etc., etc.
I think you've nailed a major problem with our lineup. There is a significant dropoff in talent between or 1-2 lines and our "grinders". None of our grinders seem to have the ability to keep the puck down low in the opponent's zone and wear on the D. Fiddler, Smithson, Nichol, Tootoo are all too small to be effective grinders. I was impressed with San Jose's grinders and how they took it to our guys. We need to shed this collection of AHL overachievers and pick up some veteran, 3-4 line guys

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:22 PM
PredsMan

What about snatching up a guy like Maltby?

he's scheduled to be a UFA

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote