HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap management for the upcoming years

Old
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
rick1042

vCash: 500
Cap management for the upcoming years

I was wondering something today. If Montreal can't attract any name free agents this summer, that means they should have a good amount of money left over under the cap. If this happens, would it be a good idea to try and sign one or two players such as Higgins and Komisarek to top heavy contracts? For example, a 3 year deal worth 4 million, 3 million and 2 million dollars.

I think it may an interesting idea as it would free us money in the upcoming years which would be helpfull especially if our young players develop well, and, also, it would add an element of stability to our organization.

Also, if things don't work out in the upcoming years for whatever reason (and I really don't think that will happen), these players would be easy to trade and would get us a very good return due to their lower salaries at the end of the deal.

Does this make sense?

rick1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Mike8

No, because the cap looks at the average salary over the length of the contract.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick767 View Post
Does this make sense?
I believe that as far as contracts and the cap are concerned, it doesn't matter how the deal is loaded, the average per year is what counts against the cap. I assume someone who knows more about the contracts side of things can confirm/deny/clarify that for you.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Traitor8

I would try to sign guys like Higgins and Komisarek for 5 yr deals ... kind of like Marleau ... something liek 5 yrs/15 M $ ..if they go for it that is ..you kind of overpay them for what they do now but it evens out at the end.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick767 View Post
I was wondering something today. If Montreal can't attract any name free agents this summer, that means they should have a good amount of money left over under the cap. If this happens, would it be a good idea to try and sign one or two players such as Higgins and Komisarek to top heavy contracts? For example, a 3 year deal worth 4 million, 3 million and 2 million dollars.

I think it may an interesting idea as it would free us money in the upcoming years which would be helpfull especially if our young players develop well, and, also, it would add an element of stability to our organization.

Also, if things don't work out in the upcoming years for whatever reason (and I really don't think that will happen), these players would be easy to trade and would get us a very good return due to their lower salaries at the end of the deal.

Does this make sense?
Yes it make sense if you really just want to hedge your bet, if I am trading someone that I owe 2 mil this season it is easier to trade that guy than if I owe him 5 mil. The average of the contract still counts against our cap while he plays for us but for trade purposes it will make it easier down the line for sure. But , why would you pay a guy more now than later when he should be better later( as a player)?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:01 PM
tinyzombies

We could give a player $7 million for one year, then re-sign him to a long term deal for 500k per after the deal runs up.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:29 AM
rick1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Yes it make sense if you really just want to hedge your bet, if I am trading someone that I owe 2 mil this season it is easier to trade that guy than if I owe him 5 mil. The average of the contract still counts against our cap while he plays for us but for trade purposes it will make it easier down the line for sure. But , why would you pay a guy more now than later when he should be better later( as a player)?
My thinking was that if we have more cap space available now, why not take advantage of it to help keep our players for longer terms deals?

Unfortunately, my dreams of revolutioning cap management has gone down the drain because its the average salary that counts against the cap.

rick1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Fozz

I might make sense to give a few guys more money now if they want to sign a deal that would allow us to keep them a few years past their UFA status eligibility year.

I think Higging is scheduled to be an UFA in 2010, so maybe you sign him for 5 or 6 years now. He makes more $ now but less in the last few years of his contracts, compared to what he would sign for as an UFA.

Last edited by Fozz: 04-24-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
best way to do it, sign a player for 3 years 5 mill and have 2 years option player or team at like 2 or 3 and just not use(or use it) which makes the average go down

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote