HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Calls out Sabres

Old
04-24-2007, 02:36 PM
blue2noise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
good pernt

in the last two seasons there hasnt been a single guy to get under the skin of the sabres the way avery is trying right now

and if he tries to pull a chris neal the sabres will give the ranger stars the neal treatment right back

when all is said and done ill bet it ends up being mostly just talk. he will end up hurting his team if he presses the issue. the rangers should already know that and if they dont then, well, bring it on and feel the pain
if your avatar didnt kick such ass, i would flame you.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:07 PM
ThirdEye

Haha, I can't wait for this series. Some of these things are getting a little ridiculous now. What's more is some Buffalo fans are actually taking his comments ultra-seriously, which is funny in itself

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Mellifleur

Avery was a great acquisition for the Rangers, they needed a player like him I think.
He's a player everybody hates until he's on your team.

However I don't like the quote 'I'm going to hurt them.' Though I hope he doesn't mean that in a sense in that he's going to try and injure our players who knows...
Chris Neil was quoted something similar earlier this year, saying his job was to hurt people. I generally like to think that on these quotes Neil and Avery don't mean they literally want to hurt/injure players as much as just hit players hard but who knows really... I think sometimes they need to give more thought to what they say...

Anyhow, I am sure all of our players are aware of Avery, I don't know if that means he is getting into their heads (Miller talking about Avery).,The Sabres are aware of him because he is a new addition to the Rangers we have not played against and well his game is noticeable. As Miller said the Sabres are aware of him and what he brings and probably have gone over the idea of not retaliating against him and trying to draw him into penalties. If you want to call that getting into somebody's head or just a team being aware and gameplanning for a specific type of player that's your perogative. My experience in sports is that if you gameplan for somebody that is just being smart, because if you try to ignore him and are unprepared that's just silly.
That'd be like saying your team is not going to worry about Max Afinogenov and his speed, because you don't want that to get into your heads... or something such along those lines...

Well anyhow I'd wish you guys luck in the series but uhm... well you know.
Here's to a good clean series.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
eco's bones

It will be interesting to see how much he gets under the skin of the Sabres. He's a chirper and very gnarly and nasty. Trying to control tempers isn't the half of it. He never stops. And he's not very big either. What's surprised me when we traded for him was I didn't know he wasn't that big and didn't think he was that good of a player either. A lot of posters from other forums have come around since that trade to say they'd wished their team had got him instead of us. Other potential problems for Buffalo are trying to keep Jagr and his line in check and getting the puck past Lundqvist. I don't know if Buffalo has a shutdown d-man since McKee left town but someone with size, strength and skating ability--both speed and agility with a very capable partner is required. Hossa might not score a lot but like Jagr he's very difficult to move or get the puck away from once he gets it and he does have some chemistry with JJ and Nylander. If Drury is going to be the checking center he's going to need someone sizable on his wings who are good in the defensive end. I don't know if they'll be able to roll their lines like they are used to--missing on matching up with them might be disastrous.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Zobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
What's even better is this. A piece of an interview with Ryan Miller from the Buffalo news:

"He just feels thats the way he has to stay in the league, thats fine. Hopefully, we can try and find a way to take advantage of it. Hes going to try and draw people into penalties, and if were smart enough hes going to be taking them.
Its pointless to get caught up in his little soap operas"

One could make the argument that he's already in their heads before the first drop of the puck. Motivation aside, He's on the minds of atleast a couple Sabres already....
If someone asks Miller about Sean Avery, he's going to answer, right? Or should he do a Tortorella?

Anyway, Stan Fischler says much wackier things than Avery does.

http://blogs.msg.com/the_maven/2007/....html#comments

They have to be feeling really jilted in New Jersey. I remember when Stan loved the Devils this much.

Zobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TomLaidlaw

I think Avery is gonna target Briere this series. Last series he was tap dancing in kovalchuks head. briere seems like the type of guy who will get razzled and possibly get caught up in Averys stuff. Drury won't get suckered into Averys stuff, he seems like the type of player that will just ignore him. Avery annoys everyone on the other team but he usually picks one guy to really hound usually goalies. Interesting to see how ryan miller reacts to avery, we've seen him really annoy Brodeur and Dipietro.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
However I don't like the quote 'I'm going to hurt them.' Though I hope he doesn't mean that in a sense in that he's going to try and injure our players who knows...

i hope it does.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This is the playoffs. Teams don't need motivation. Bulletin board material is for the fans, not the players.
It's not to pump us up, it's to throw them off their game. People can't help but get pissed at him, and it will, albeit slightly (at worst), effect their game.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
i hope it does.
What so you would want Avery to go out there and take cheap shots to try and injure your opponent... how dishonorable... I don't know what else to say except that is just dishonorable and classless.

Old
04-24-2007, 03:34 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Avery was a great acquisition for the Rangers, they needed a player like him I think.

Chris Neil was quoted something similar earlier this year, saying his job was to hurt people. I generally like to think that on these quotes Neil and Avery don't mean they literally want to hurt/injure players as much as just hit players hard but who knows really... I think sometimes they need to give more thought to what they say...

Anyhow, I am sure all of our players are aware of Avery, I don't know if that means he is getting into their heads (Miller talking about Avery).,The Sabres are aware of him because he is a new addition to the Rangers we have not played against and well his game is noticeable. As Miller said the Sabres are aware of him and what he brings and probably have gone over the idea of not retaliating against him and trying to draw him into penalties. If you want to call that getting into somebody's head or just a team being aware and gameplanning for a specific type of player that's your perogative. My experience in sports is that if you gameplan for somebody that is just being smart, because if you try to ignore him and are unprepared that's just silly.
That'd be like saying your team is not going to worry about Max Afinogenov and his speed, because you don't want that to get into your heads... or something such along those lines...

He's not saying he wants to physically injure them. Avery is not a dumb person; this is quite calculated.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Avery has every Players' back on the Rangers, and every Ranger will stand up for him as well. And we know that we have guys on the team that are not afraid to drop the gloves and stand up for any teammate.

Example: Shanahan fighting Brashear in standing up for Jagr...yeah it was before his concussion and he may be more cautious, but I think he'd still do it.

this is going to be a real rough series...gonna be mighty exciting!!! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobes View Post
Anyway, Stan Fischler says much wackier things than Avery does.

http://blogs.msg.com/the_maven/2007/....html#comments

They have to be feeling really jilted in New Jersey. I remember when Stan loved the Devils this much.
I doubt it. No one pays attention to what Stan Fischler has to say.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

I dont think he meant he wants to hurt them where they are being carried off on a stretcher. I think he meant wear the sabres defense down physically. I don't think anyone goes out to intentionally serverly injure another player except for Cam Janssens. I think Avery said it best when he said .......

"Cam is a meathead"
-Sean Avery

Old
04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
He's not saying he wants to physically injure them. Avery is not a dumb person; this is quite calculated.
I question his words more than his intent. Avery has a history of 'interesting quotes' that give me the impression he is not all that intelligent with what he says.
I am sure he just wants to go out and punish his opponents. He has to be a bit more calculated with his words though. Stating what could be interpreted as an intent to injure is not particularly swift. If he purposely said he wants to hurt us to try and get under our skin I don't what to think about that... maybe those particular words instead of 'I want to punish them every chance I get' could be more effective but they're still not really a good choice of words.

Old
04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
I question his words more than his intent. Avery has a history of 'interesting quotes' that give me the impression he is not all that intelligent with what he says.
I am sure he just wants to go out and punish his opponents. He has to be a bit more calculated with his words though. Stating what could be interpreted as an intent to injure is not particularly swift. If he purposely said he wants to hurt us to try and get under our skin I don't what to think about that... maybe those particular words instead of 'I want to punish them every chance I get' could be more effective but they're still not really a good choice of words.
Keep in mind this is the same guy who said this.....

"Typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not backing anything up.”

So he isn't exactly careful with what he says. I think he just says whatever is on his mind. I don't think he really thinks/cares about the wording.

Old
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
It's not to pump us up, it's to throw them off their game. People can't help but get pissed at him, and it will, albeit slightly (at worst), effect their game.
I'm not talking about firing up the Rangers. I'm talking about peope saying that what he said is bulletin board material which means more to opposing fans than it does to opposing players.

04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Our best playoff player is Chris Drury.

Chris Drury's response to all the hype over the Chris Neil hit? "It's part of the game".

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Our best playoff player is Chris Drury.

Chris Drury's response to all the hype over the Chris Neil hit? "It's part of the game".
with all due respect to Chris Drury, his level of coolness is no where near Sean Avery.

that said, I think the Sabres will be surprised when Avery backs his words up with this play

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think Chris Drury is one player who is so focussed that even Avery would have a hard time getting him off his game.

As for the 'hurt' thing, I don't think Avery was talking about injuring people. As someone mentioned on the playoffs board, if you hit someone, it hurts. He wants to cause pain, not injuries. I don't even think Brian Marchment went out there having decided he was going to cause an injury.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
good pernt

in the last two seasons there hasnt been a single guy to get under the skin of the sabres the way avery is trying right now

and if he tries to pull a chris neal the sabres will give the ranger stars the neal treatment right back

when all is said and done ill bet it ends up being mostly just talk. he will end up hurting his team if he presses the issue. the rangers should already know that and if they dont then, well, bring it on and feel the pain
I guess u didnt watch the Buffalo Ranger games last year when Kasper got under the skin of Briere, who had to have Grier save his *****

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan View Post
He's in the Sabres fan's heads for sure. They sound like he threatened to shoot somebody.
Perfect, its all the little things that gives Avery result.

He doesn't play very dirty, looking at this years PO's he have almost been soft.

Though he talks all the time, but that (alone) won't get to many players. But his talk, his "act" on the ice, his act off he ice, the fact that everyone hates him -- media, fans, other players, Elisabeth C. and the fact that he actually have scored very important goals and actually played well is what made him so tough to bear for Atlanta. He gets so much attention.

If Avery is booed from the get goo in Buffalo he will get even more attention. Thats what its about for him.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I love it, the Sabres fans are getting all riled up and defensive and launching into "well we'll kick Avery's ass cause we're the ****" mode. Gotta love those fans in Buffalo, the "great" fans that they are. 14th in attendance in 2001, 27th in 2002, 20th in 03 and 14th last season. They're all bandwagon fans. We suck year in year out and during that same span we still fill up the house most nights. Buffalo fans are a bunch of punks and so is the team. Give them to Canada.

Rangers in 6, Avery handing out 3 bloodied noses.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:33 PM
TragHip_check

I live in Buffalo and I've seen every Sabres game this year. Using that and last years playoff run as references I have to say that the guy that Avery can bother THE MOST has to be Max Afinogenov. The guy is explosive but practically dissapeared in the playoffs last year when Philly and Ottawa took runs at him. He does not like a lot of contact.

Avery is the MOST HATED guy in the LEAGUE by far!! (according to some HockeyNews article a while back. Avery had 60+% of the vote and the next highest player wasn't even at 20%)

The thing here is the Sabres arent Atlanta. You cant just take out a guy or two and expect the team to shut down. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines all had over 70+ goals a piece during the regular season. The Rangers roll 4 lines too so most likely this series, like every other, will come down to who has the hotter goaltender.

Lets just wait and see until after game 1 shal we?
Cheers!

TragHip_check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
TragHip_check

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I love it, the Sabres fans are getting all riled up and defensive and launching into "well we'll kick Avery's ass cause we're the ****" mode. Gotta love those fans in Buffalo, the "great" fans that they are. 14th in attendance in 2001, 27th in 2002, 20th in 03 and 14th last season. They're all bandwagon fans. We suck year in year out and during that same span we still fill up the house most nights. Buffalo fans are a bunch of punks and so is the team. Give them to Canada.

Rangers in 6, Avery handing out 3 bloodied noses.
Yeah, I agree. There has always been a core group of fans throughout the 90s but never like the past 2 years. A lot of the fans are younger guys and girls in high school that are just picking up the sport.

But the part I do not agree with is the negative connotation assigned to bandwagon fans. Ridiculing bandwagon fans face to face is OK, because really...why weren't they fans in the first place when the owners were getting sent to jail for tax fraud??? OF COURSE more people will gravitate towards the team when they perform better--it happens in any sport with every team. To dismiss bandwagon fans is to say that every team in sports should have a certain number of fans and that number can NEVER increase or decrease.....and to me that sounds insane.

Who knows?? Maybe the girls who now don the pink Gaustad or Connolly jerseys will become fans of the sport in a few years and not just Buffalo....and isnt that what the NHL really needs nowadays??

TragHip_check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Unbiased View Post
Yeah, I agree. There has always been a core group of fans throughout the 90s but never like the past 2 years. A lot of the fans are younger guys and girls in high school that are just picking up the sport.

But the part I do not agree with is the negative connotation assigned to bandwagon fans. Ridiculing bandwagon fans face to face is OK, because really...why weren't they fans in the first place when the owners were getting sent to jail for tax fraud??? OF COURSE more people will gravitate towards the team when they perform better--it happens in any sport with every team. To dismiss bandwagon fans is to say that every team in sports should have a certain number of fans and that number can NEVER increase or decrease.....and to me that sounds insane.

Who knows?? Maybe the girls who now don the pink Gaustad or Connolly jerseys will become fans of the sport in a few years and not just Buffalo....and isnt that what the NHL really needs nowadays??
Agreed Unbiased. I've defended "bandwagoners" in the past, especially as they pertain to the NHL, but in this instance the chance to piss off opposing fans was too tempting .

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote