HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very Interesting Strickland Article

Old
04-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Checker*

vCash: 500
Very Interesting Strickland Article

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7018

Here's what I'm reading into it.

1. EJ sounds like he's got a bit of a cocky streak. I like that. I like it alot.

2. Jackman will be here next year and has leap-frogged everyone into position as our top d-man. After being paired with and mentored by Chopper on his way to a Calder, the student has become the teacher. A Jackman/Johnson pairing is tough as nails and can move the puck.

3. Once again, we get confirmed what is already known. We have too many defensemen.

4. Drake will be here next season (Yayyy ) as will DJ King. MAyers will undoubtedly be here and I can't see them giving up on Hinote already. Hopefully that's all of the grind squad we'll need.

5. Metropolit and Nieminen are gone. The less I say about their times here the better.

6. The best news in the article may be that the Blues are considering keeping Weight at wing next season. This almost certainly means the Blues will be upgrading the center position with one and maybe two players.

7. I'm really starting to like Eric Brewer. Playoffs or bust next season? Amen, my friend, amen

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

So Strickland is reporting that the top 6 will be McKee, Brewer, Jackman, Backman, Salvador, EJ with Woywitka/Walker as the 7th and Polak in Peoria?

Polak can go up and down but Woywitka and Walker cannot, so they could either trade Woywitka or let Walker go (or use him to get a 5th rounder), under Strickland's scenario. Polak would probably play half the season with the inevitable injuries.

Walker tops out at a 6/7 Dman - basically a 5.5B. Woywitka - a 7.0B at this point - could be a second pairing, and with years of development finally - finally - bearing fruit with him, we're going to trade him because Walker is tough? Not saying the Blues will, but that if they do, that would be the rationale. I don't like it. It is always better to keep cheap talent. Walkers are a dime a dozen in the league.

Dammit I wish this team had traded Brewer at the deadline. Another 1st round pick for sure.

Backman should be the guy to go. Jackman is a must-keep. Backman is a good D but he's not a special D.

Weight playing wing AND Dvorak coming back? If Weight moves to wing, where does Cajanek go? If they resign Dvorak and not let any of the RFAs just walk (which they wouldn't) then you have 13 forwards under contract:

Stempniak-Boyes-Backes
Rucinsky-Cajanek-Weight
Dvorak-McClement-Mayers
(Hinote, Drake, RJ, King)

That leaves no room for Soderberg though he could be the first injury callup. Or they could buyout Cajanek - he'd be the only buyout option of that group if Drake is not being bought out as the article indicates. They could buyout Cajanek and go for a big core UFA center, which still relegates Soderberg to injury callup.

I guess the main idea is if all this stuff in the article is correct - Dvorak and Drake returning, Weight going to wing, we only have a center spot available if we buy out Cajanek.

Strickland is often, often wrong, of course. Like when he talked about 4 first round Dmen plus "Bryce salvador [sic]" AND (hilariously) McKee.

Last edited by PocketNines: 04-20-2007 at 02:51 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:19 PM
SIU LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Strickland is often, often wrong, of course.
Strickland is never wrong. Just ask him. In fact, he will tell you that you are wrong and you should thank him for it.

Silly facts.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
StLooFrenchy

Walker is only tough in the sense that he will fight. He lacks the mobility to be a tough hitter. DJ's emergence as an NHL enforcer has taken Walker's role on the team; if you don't need Walk's toughness, you can't live with his slow feet. Keep Woywitka, he sure can skate. I hope Jax is a captain here in the near future and for a long time. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we got a good player for Bax, but i wouldn't be depressed if we kept him. As far as EJ's cockiness, all great players have it, although it isn't cockiness if you back it up!

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU LAW View Post
Strickland is never wrong. Just ask him. In fact, he will tell you that you are wrong and you should thank him for it.

Silly facts.
I'm still waiting for him to refute my comments that pointed out how incredibly wrong his comments were.

04-20-2007, 04:57 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7018

Here's what I'm reading into it.

1. EJ sounds like he's got a bit of a cocky streak. I like that. I like it alot.

2. Jackman will be here next year and has leap-frogged everyone into position as our top d-man. After being paired with and mentored by Chopper on his way to a Calder, the student has become the teacher. A Jackman/Johnson pairing is tough as nails and can move the puck.

3. Once again, we get confirmed what is already known. We have too many defensemen.

4. Drake will be here next season (Yayyy ) as will DJ King. MAyers will undoubtedly be here and I can't see them giving up on Hinote already. Hopefully that's all of the grind squad we'll need.

5. Metropolit and Nieminen are gone. The less I say about their times here the better.

6. The best news in the article may be that the Blues are considering keeping Weight at wing next season. This almost certainly means the Blues will be upgrading the center position with one and maybe two players.

7. I'm really starting to like Eric Brewer. Playoffs or bust next season? Amen, my friend, amen

If this article is true I like all of these points especially the ones about Nimenen and metropolit. Niether of them showed me much and I say good riddance.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't think anybody believed for a second from the moment we acquired them that Metropolit and Nieminen were anything but guys to fill out the roster til the end of the season.

Old
04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
trublu16

OK let me see if I got this right. We aree going to have a returning Captain who is a part-time player? With Mayers/Hinote/RJ/King and then you have the Captain, so that makes 5 4th line energy/checking line players. That is too many of those players. Even if you move Mayers up to the 3rd line, you still have 4 guys for 3 spots. So I will assume that Drake and King will rotate on who will be in the line-up. I do not like this idea at all.

Please, and I do mean please, BUY OUT DRAKE!!!!!!!!

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

This is not a big deal. Drake will spend most of the season injured and King will play most of the time with Hinote and RJ. There is no savings moneywise for the cap and negligible savings on the salary (actually, if he is injured they might actually save more real dollars when the insurance kicks in).

As for Mayers, he is a fine 3d liner. He does an incredible number of unheralded things well and he has proven clutch in the playoffs in the past. Until all the scoring talent starts matriculating onto the roster on a full-time basis, there is no pressure for him to move off the 3d line. By the time the rebuild is in full swing, he'll be a hell of a 4th line player at that stage of his career.

Old
04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines
Strickland is often, often wrong, of course. Like when he talked about 4 first round Dmen plus "Bryce salvador [sic]" AND (hilariously) McKee.
Strickland's a goof, but he's not wrong on McKee.

McKee is a former first-round pick, 14th overall by Buffalo in 1995.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
2ForRoughing*

I would be offensive to me as a long time Blues fan to have the Blues buy out the contract of their captain, Dallas Drake. He has given everything he has to the Blues and deserves to have his contract honored and retire a Blue. I do hope he is only a part time player for the Blues next year but I think we totally underestimate the value this guy brings to the club.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Strickland's a goof, but he's not wrong on McKee.

McKee is a former first-round pick, 14th overall by Buffalo in 1995.

P_B

There's a lack of clarity - his actual quote was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbass
How many teams will have four first round picks playing in their top six? This doesn't include Bryce salvador [sic], the Blues [sic] most underrated d-man, and Jay Mckee [sic].
So I was trying to point out that he doesn't know that McKee was a first rounder. Or conventions of the English language.

Old
04-21-2007, 12:44 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
I would be offensive to me as a long time Blues fan to have the Blues buy out the contract of their captain, Dallas Drake. He has given everything he has to the Blues and deserves to have his contract honored and retire a Blue. I do hope he is only a part time player for the Blues next year but I think we totally underestimate the value this guy brings to the club.
I have no problem with the loyality thing between the player and the organization. Until it starts hurting this team, and as it sits right now he hurts this team. He is taking the sopt of another player, be it a FA or prospect with potential. This is why we are rebuilding, to weed out the out ineffective old players. I thik the Blues were loyal to Drake when they gave his that 2 yr 2 mil contract. Now it is time for Drake to be loyal to this team and retire.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:01 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
I have no problem with the loyality thing between the player and the organization. Until it starts hurting this team, and as it sits right now he hurts this team. He is taking the sopt of another player, be it a FA or prospect with potential. This is why we are rebuilding, to weed out the out ineffective old players. I thik the Blues were loyal to Drake when they gave his that 2 yr 2 mil contract. Now it is time for Drake to be loyal to this team and retire.
If Drake would hurt his club's chance for the Cup, he would retire without hesitation. I sincerely hope that there isn't a soul on this earth that thinks we will contend for the Grail next season, so why not be "loyal" and keep one hell of a Captain around for the length of his contract? He has given the team and we fans everything he has. He will do the same next year. We will not be contenders, so why give him the green needle?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:33 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
I don't see the point of buying out any player. With the way injuries occur on this team, why pay a player to go play someplace else when you can (in the extreme circumstances) sit them.

If we were worried about saving cap room, I'd say it is worth paying the contract over twice the remaining length, but since we aren't it's poor assest management to buy out a contract.

Drake will be used sparingly and I trust Murray to toss Cajanek up into the bleachers if he's not playing and if need be St. Louis will try waiving him again. The best case scenario is that Cajanek finds his touch and is actually trade worthy (for even late round picks) and as much as I hate to admit it, that Drake finds that he can't "go" anymore and retires.

one of the D is gonna be the odd man out and I don't see it being McKee, Backman, Jackman or Brewer. With EJ (who is to say he spends the entire season up?) thats 5 of 6.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:33 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post

Bye horse, out to pasture you go

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:09 PM
fcpremix88

Murray and Davidson arent Tortella and Feaster (Thank God)... Drake wont be forced out like poor Dave Andreychuk

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:30 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
Murray and Davidson arent Tortella and Feaster (Thank God)... Drake wont be forced out like poor Dave Andreychuk
Yes, what does Tortella know? He only won a Stanley Cup.

Though at 40 years old, Andreychuk had a solid playoff run in 2004 with 14 points (13 coming off asts). And even though he had a good run (wth great GREAT talent up fromt with him). He hasn't finished in the plus of +/- since 1998-1999 season. He was done after the strike. He also hadn't finished in plus of the playoffs (including 2004) since 1995!!

So I don't know what your complaining about? He was a 42 year old guy that was done and he didn't see it. He got hot at the right time for a month or so, that was on a good team, with a great coach, great young talent and a HOT goalie. (Kind of like Raymond Bourque). It's a shame Andreychuk didn't walk away at 41 years old when he was holding the Cup, instead of forcing Tortella's hand to do what he had to.

It's sad to say, at least Dave had more to offer his team in 04, than Dallas did in 07.

And I only wish Drake would hang it up now...Although, knowing what Dave did, I doubt Dallas will do that either.

And your wrong, because if Dallas doesn't call it quit's one year from now... by next summer Murray and Davidson will have to do what they must, just like Tampa did.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 04-22-2007 at 10:36 AM.
TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:50 PM
2ForRoughing*

I don't see why you're in such a huff about this, to be honest. Drake will retire at the end of next year, having completed his contract with the Blues. He'll be a part time role player and something of a coach next year, getting spot duty on the pk and 4th lines. He'll be scratched a lot I suspect but he'll still be the model of dedication to the team. He deserves a spot on the Blues next year even if he doesn't play a lot He doesn't take up that much cap space. Sorry if this sounds jerkish but get over it. Unless his body can't take it anymore and he decides to retire he'll have a spot next year.
I don't like Eric Brewer (AT ALL) but I gave up complaining about having him on the team and he's taking up 4 mill in cap space, a ton of ice time and is here for 4 freaking years so if I can cope with Brewer and his awful decision making and terrible defensize zone coverage and inept shot without complaining then you can suck it up where Drake, the ultimate team leader for the Blues, is concerned.

Just my thoughts.

Old
04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
MU_Beerman

If the Blues stun the world and make the playoffs, King will be riding the pine and Drake will be in there even if he's at half speed. You need grit in the POs and Drake, although ancient, still delivers that night in and night out.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
I don't like Eric Brewer (AT ALL) but I gave up complaining about having him on the team and he's taking up 4 mill in cap space, a ton of ice time and is here for 4 freaking years so if I can cope with Brewer and his awful decision making and terrible defensize zone coverage and inept shot...
Wow, for once we agree. I didn't think that was going to be possible with you 2FR.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 01:03 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I don't think anybody believed for a second from the moment we acquired them that Metropolit and Nieminen were anything but guys to fill out the roster til the end of the season.
which is why I ask that if we really got some decent offers for Metropolit, couldn't we have filled his spot with anybody? like a glumac, linglet, etc. I just can't grasp why he wasn't turned into another pick (I think I heard 2nd rounder being thrown around). Can you imagine how good that would have looked for the Tkachuk deal?

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Wow, for once we agree. I didn't think that was going to be possible with you 2FR.
honestly I never even noticed one way or the other

Old
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
which is why I ask that if we really got some decent offers for Metropolit, couldn't we have filled his spot with anybody? like a glumac, linglet, etc. I just can't grasp why he wasn't turned into another pick (I think I heard 2nd rounder being thrown around). Can you imagine how good that would have looked for the Tkachuk deal?
After seeing him play, I find trade offers for him hard to believe. No aspect of his game stands out a great deal. You never know though.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
barnburner

I thought Metropolit was pretty strong in his own end. Seemed to
be very well schooled in that aspect of the game. Beyond that,
I didn't see anything significant - certainly not anywhere close to
bringing a 2d, (or even a 3rd) round pick in return.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote