Pepsi12pac

vCash: 500
UFA's

UFA's that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Backstrom
Walz
Skoula
White

Personally, I hope we resign Walz and Backstrom. I like White, but I'm not sure what the Wild are planning to do with him. Skoula on the other hand, I wouldn't miss one bit.

Thoughts?

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:42 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I think Risebrough and Co. will make an effort to resign Skoula, at least I remember reading something about it.

We did pick up Dom Moore, so one of Walz or White are gone imo.

Backstrom will get resigned, Lemaire has made it clear he wants him to stay.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:31 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
I think Risebrough and Co. will make an effort to resign Skoula, at least I remember reading something about it.

We did pick up Dom Moore, so one of Walz or White are gone imo.

Backstrom will get resigned, Lemaire has made it clear he wants him to stay.
On Skoula - I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is resigned. Overall, he played pretty well this season, and Lemaire seems to like him.

On Moore - Smith is also UFA I think, so Moore will probably take his place, Walz will take the hometown discount and resign, White will be playing elsewhere, and we'll bring in another center.

Backstrom is definitely a keeper, but it'll be tough to move Manny. And if we don't move Manny before July 1st - Backstrom is gone. Good article on that in the STrib today:

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1135288.html

Another question is - are we bringing back Hall? He is RFA making $975,000, so the qualifying offer would have to be around 1M? I think we let him walk, he didn't bring all that much to the table.

And we also have to resign a few - Harding, Bouchard, Koivu, Schultz, Boogaard, Foster are all RFA's and are up for new contracts. Speaking of Foster, I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go or traded (possibly in a Manny deal?)

It'll be a busy off-season, so stay tuned everybody.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:19 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post

On Moore - Smith is also UFA I think, so Moore will probably take his place, Walz will take the hometown discount and resign, White will be playing elsewhere, and we'll bring in another center.
James Sheppard

Quote:
Another question is - are we bringing back Hall? He is RFA making $975,000, so the qualifying offer would have to be around 1M? I think we let him walk, he didn't bring all that much to the table.
I think he stays to be honest. He brings a physical presence every night, works hard, brings energy, and has the acumen to bury some goals. He fit in very very nicely with Koivu and Parrish. I'd keep him.

Quote:
And we also have to resign a few - Harding, Bouchard, Koivu, Schultz, Boogaard, Foster are all RFA's and are up for new contracts. Speaking of Foster, I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go or traded (possibly in a Manny deal?)
I wouldn't doubt Foster goes either; we need a more physical presence on the back end, and Kurtis definitely isn't it. Maybe its time Erik Reitz steps up and gets the job, or Clayton Stoner gets it (I hope).

Old
04-22-2007, 12:16 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
James Sheppard

I think he stays to be honest. He brings a physical presence every night, works hard, brings energy, and has the acumen to bury some goals. He fit in very very nicely with Koivu and Parrish. I'd keep him.

I wouldn't doubt Foster goes either; we need a more physical presence on the back end, and Kurtis definitely isn't it. Maybe its time Erik Reitz steps up and gets the job, or Clayton Stoner gets it (I hope).
Do we want Sheppard's FA clock ticking already?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:55 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
hell yes I do.

The whole FA clock thing is a bit on the overrated side if you ask me.

Old
04-22-2007, 12:58 PM
LamborGREENie

For the Wild Fans...

http://onveutlacoupe.blogspot.com/20...n-preview.html

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:22 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
If he is ready and will contribute, I don't care about no clock. You can't keep players down forever just to keep their FA clock from ticking. If he shows in camp that he is ready for the NHL - bring him up.

Old
04-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Chrisd

my thoughts exactly...

this was a 100+ pt team, if a guy can give you a better shot to go further and help your team, you bring him regardless of some free agency clock thats way off in the future anyways.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:57 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThing24 View Post
Thank you for the link, but I completely disagree on White. I think he was a valuable member of the team, and he had great chemistry with Rolston and Bouchard. It was the only line that pretty much stayed together for two full seasons - something unheard of in Lemaire's universe. I agree that he will be gone though, mainly because he completely disappeared in the playoffs. Also, I would imagine that Risebrough will want to get a little bigger and tougher upfront, so that doesn't bode well for White either.

Old
04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
The Big E

Quote:
I disagree. I thought Foster stepped up his physical play this season. His season was broken up by two injuries so we didn't see his best. I thought he handled Dustin Penner pretty well in Game 1 of the *ucks series. If we keep him, he'll step up his hitting ... plus he's got a howitzer of a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
Thank you for the link, but I completely disagree on White. I think he was a valuable member of the team, and he had great chemistry with Rolston and Bouchard. It was the only line that pretty much stayed together for two full seasons - something unheard of in Lemaire's universe. I agree that he will be gone though, mainly because he completely disappeared in the playoffs. Also, I would imagine that Risebrough will want to get a little bigger and tougher upfront, so that doesn't bode well for White either.
I think one of the telling factors with White is his absence during the playoffs. He wasn't a factor at all. Of course, Lemaire didn't play the Bouchard-Rolston-White line much if ever, but maybe because they weren't showing him what he wanted to see.

We need someone who can center Rolston and Bouchard and while White is technically solid, we need a centerman who
  • can score 50 pts
  • is defensively responsible allowing Bouchard and Rolston room to take liberties
  • plays physical
  • wins at least 52% of his face-offs
White doesn't do the last two items on the list. We now need to think about what kind of a 2nd line center we want for the 08 play-offs. Maybe that center is Mikko Koivu and we get a rent-a-center to go between Demitra & Gaborik. With Koivu, Moore and Walz (who I think will be re-signed) and Sheppard arriving as soon as next fall or as long as 3 years ... I just don't see White being a part of building for the '08 playoffs.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
  • can score 50 pts
  • is defensively responsible allowing Bouchard and Rolston room to take liberties
  • plays physical
  • wins at least 52% of his face-offs
There are probably only a handful of players in the entire NHL who are capable of all of the above.

Brindamour and Drury come to mind, most of the others are lacking something.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:23 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post
There are probably only a handful of players in the entire NHL who are capable of all of the above.

So maybe if Sheppard can do all those things, we let him have the OJT starting next season ... ?

Old
04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Karl

I want the Wild to re-sign both Backstrom and Walz. A one or two year deal would be great until Harding is ready. And I don't want us to lose Walz like we lost Bruno. He is a great veteran leader for the Wild. I would like to sign White but it wouldn't kill me is we didn't. I have seen enough of Skoula.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I want the Wild to re-sign both Backstrom and Walz. A one or two year deal would be great until Harding is ready. And I don't want us to lose Walz like we lost Bruno. He is a great veteran leader for the Wild. I would like to sign White but it wouldn't kill me is we didn't. I have seen enough of Skoula.
I feel exactly the same was as you about all of them. One thing we learned from this years playoff debacle is that the team is still a little younger than we'd hoped. A solid, steady veteran like Walz is something this team can ill afford to throw away right now.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Hecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I think Rietz, Belle, or Stoner could fill in for Puck Poise. Even though I did like the occasional hip check Skoulka threw.

Instead of Todd White I wouldn't mind getting a center with size. Like Brian Smolinski or someone like that.

Hecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post

Gomez and Briere would be awesome. What about Brian Smolinski?

Old
04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Jbcraig1883

I'll try to write more after work about the offseason but I would love the Wild to get one of either Hannan or Vaananen.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I'll try to write more after work about the offseason but I would love the Wild to get one of either Hannan or Vaananen.
Scott Hannan and the two Markovs are at the top of my list for our D.