HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Calls out Sabres

Old
04-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Jose Corvo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I love it, the Sabres fans are getting all riled up and defensive and launching into "well we'll kick Avery's ass cause we're the ****" mode. Gotta love those fans in Buffalo, the "great" fans that they are. 14th in attendance in 2001, 27th in 2002, 20th in 03 and 14th last season. They're all bandwagon fans. We suck year in year out and during that same span we still fill up the house most nights. Buffalo fans are a bunch of punks and so is the team. Give them to Canada.

Rangers in 6, Avery handing out 3 bloodied noses.
You fill your building year in and year out because of your location.

On a relevant note, I'm really excited for this series to get going. I think the Avery battle is getting a little over-hyped, especially on the Buffalo board but I can see him causing a little bit of damage. I'm most concerned about beating Lundqvist and neutralizing Nylander. Of course I want Buffalo but I set San Jose and NYR as my cup prediction in March.

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:00 PM
polish assassin

Quote:
I love it, the Sabres fans are getting all riled up and defensive and launching into "well we'll kick Avery's ass cause we're the ****" mode. Gotta love those fans in Buffalo, the "great" fans that they are. 14th in attendance in 2001, 27th in 2002, 20th in 03 and 14th last season. They're all bandwagon fans. We suck year in year out and during that same span we still fill up the house most nights. Buffalo fans are a bunch of punks and so is the team. Give them to Canada.

Um, how many million people live in NYC? 300,000 live in Buffalo. Do you have any idea why attendance was so bad in 2003? No, you don't. Yeah, of course support will increase when the team starts winning and the owner shows a commitment to the city and is not a lying crook. I think you're the punk.

polish assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polish assassin View Post
Um, how many million people live in NYC? 300,000 live in Buffalo. Do you have any idea why attendance was so bad in 2003? No, you don't. Yeah, of course support will increase when the team starts winning and the owner shows a commitment to the city and is not a lying crook. I think you're the punk.
Wow, you guys are so easily baited! Chill out, I absolutely understand why you guys don't draw a full house every season, and certainly remember the turmoil surrounding the team a few years back. I'm just assuming Sean Avery's role of rabble-rouser. It's all in good fun, guys .

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:04 PM
polish assassin

Quote:
Wow, you guys are so easily baited! Chill out, I absolutely understand why you guys don't draw a full house every season, and certainly remember the turmoil surrounding the team a few years back. I'm just assuming Sean Avery's role of rabble-rouser. It's all in good fun, guys .
We're from Buffalo, we have a complex, we get defensive fast, real fast. You'll understand that as the series progresses.

polish assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
We're from Buffalo, we have a complex, we get defensive fast, real fast. You'll understand that as the series progresses.
It's all good, I'm a Mets fan and a Jets fan. I can understand.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:36 PM
EnticeTheMasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree. Avery should better practice hitting avoidance. If Sabres continue level him the way Trashers did he may not last for the entire series. Good part is he is young and can take alot of abuse, but it is not something that would go away. It has a cumulative effect.

Hell, Darcy Tucker has made a living doing what Avery does, and he's played and annoyed us for how many years? haha. I think Avery is going to be fine, and I love the moxy he brings to the team.

EnticeTheMasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post
I think he loves himself more then anything/body.

Avery is a tool, and the Rangers will have a similar type situation like LA did with him.

Just give it a year.

Sabres in 5
Avery plays his best hockey on the edge. In LA, the coaching staff held him back a bit (Avery even says this in the NBC interview during the DET-CGY intermission). Renney lets Avery play the way he KNOWS how to play, which is a gritty, in-your-face kind of game. I'm sure Renney understands that PIMs are going to come Avery's way because of the way he plays, but he knows that they can be limited through smarter play on the ice.

You can say all you want about him being a tool or having a bad attitude, but Sean Avery has always been about hard work and determination. The guy is playing inspired hockey right now and doing everything that he can to help his team win games. With the beatings he takes on a nightly basis and how he continues to be a major factor in our success, I can only respect someone like that.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Humphrey*

well, for his sake Avery better back up his words on the ice. he'd better get the Sabres off their game and draw penalites, or at least contribute offensively. if he's continually getting minor penalties and putting his team at a disadvantage i'd imagine his teammates would start viewing him as nothing but a self-promoter.

Humphrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I posted this on the Stanley Cup forum in the thread for this series:
Quote:
Someone posted a clip of Miller talking about quotes from Avery and Renney and I have to be honest, it seems like the media is building it up to be way more than it actually is. If you hear the comment, especially those from Renney, you know he respects the Sabres and knows this is going to be FAR from a cake walk. However to hear the Buffalo media explain it to Miller who obviously is hearing it for the first time, seems a little like they are trying to blow those comments out of proportion and put misconceptions into Millers head. Avery is what he is, everyone in the NHL knows about him and his antics on and off the ice, I think the Sabres as a team are strong enough for the most part to ignore him (with a few guys getting annoyed but nothing like Atlanta), but while I think they are strong enough to ignore him, one may wonder if they will try too hard to ignore him and not play the game the way they normally would. Honestly I don't know what to expect from this series. I seriously doubt that this will be a sweep for either team. The Sabres aren't as scary as they were in the beginning of the season, with all due respect, they aren't, however that isn't to even suggest they aren't a solid,deep,talented team, one would have to be insane to think otherwise. My basis for saying that they aren't as scary is simply that they(from the games I have seen, and to be fair I haven't seen many) but from the games I have watched it seems to ME that if you can get the puck in down low and work the boards the D gets a little lost. The Islanders did that in spurts during the last series and it worked well for them, if a team can sustain that pressure down low and make the D work you can beat them. That may seem like "duh, do that to any team and they will have a hard time", but many times you don't see that. If the Rangers attempt to trade chances with Buffalo, its going to be tough to beat them. Like I said earlier I cant say with any certainty that anything will or wont happen other than the series starts tomorrow. (I stole that from Jagr ) ) Best of luck to both teams in the series. LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!
This is the clip I referred to in my post
mms://wm.wgrz.gannett.edgestreams.ne...407-miller.wmv

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:54 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by natediggity View Post
well, for his sake Avery better back up his words on the ice. he'd better get the Sabres off their game and draw penalites, or at least contribute offensively. if he's continually getting minor penalties and putting his team at a disadvantage i'd imagine his teammates would start viewing him as nothing but a self-promoter.
I don't think we will have to worry about that..... He has brought his "A" game since he has been a ranger...... He has not continued to get minor penalties and hasn't put his team shorthanded that often.... He has forced other players on other teams to take numerous penalties.... You can count on one thing and one thing only, and that is Sean Avery will bring it!

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Buffalo media playing more mind games http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...YV0iRcVEVjU%3D

Quote:
2 On Your Side's Stefan Mychajliw: "What was the response from the Mayor of New York's office when you tried to make this bet?"

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown: "The response was a little chilly. We think it might have some indication of what kind of faith they have in their hockey team. We on the other hand are very proud and very confident in betting on the Buffalo Sabres."

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Let me be the only Rangers fan to say...

Sean Avery should shut up...

I love the guy...I was one of the few people that wanted him on this team....BUT this is the garbage that this team doesn't need...It's the playoffs...Say it and do it on the ice...not in the media...not in the playoffs....Really If I'm a Sabres fan or player I'm saying "Who the eff is Sean Avery?"

Could you imagine the uproar if an opposing player said this about a Rangers player?

Will Avery back up his words?

i don't know but if a player on the Sabres gets hurt on a borderline check by Avery (which COULD happen) does the league point to these comments as a reason to suspend?

I don't know....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Levitate

I'm really not sure how or why anyone would construe Avery's comments as meaning he intends to intentionally injure members of the Sabres.

It just sounds like he's saying he's going to play hard and physical.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm really not sure how or why anyone would construe Avery's comments as meaning he intends to intentionally injure members of the Sabres.

It just sounds like he's saying he's going to play hard and physical.
yeah, what exactly is every player trying to do when they hit someone?

if Avery gets the Sabres to think about him, he's done a good job.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
He played in a league-high 84 games - 55 with Los Angeles before being dealt to the Rangers. None of those 84 was against Buffalo. But that doesn't matter - Avery already has worked up a healthy dislike for the Sabres.

"I've already decided I hate all of those guys," Avery said. "So I don't think we're going to have much of a problem with that."

From http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...buffaloed.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by barclay086 View Post

On a relevant note, I'm really excited for this series to get going. I think the Avery battle is getting a little over-hyped, especially on the Buffalo board but I can see him causing a little bit of damage. I'm most concerned about beating Lundqvist and neutralizing Nylander. Of course I want Buffalo but I set San Jose and NYR as my cup prediction in March.
And we have one of the larger die-hard fan-bases in the NHL. We're consistently anywhere from about 7-12 in attendance, and that was even when we were LOSING ALL OF THOSE YEARS.

That says something about the kind of fanbase a team has.

You can look up the numbers on ESPN.com, just google it.

The numbers don't lie, and believe me, the whole "suits excuse" is old, and isn't very true. The suits don't fill up the seats up top.

Quote:
James Dolan didn't show a commitment to the team, he just wanted a bunch of superstars. He screwed this team up, and set us years back, but we still went to games.

I really don't want to hear that, because despite his stupidity and willingness to free-spend, he pulled the strings and made Glen Sather look like a horse's ass for years, and is STILL doing the same with the Knicks.

I know what it's like to have an owner who has a commitment to nothing but himself, and his own profits.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barclay086 View Post
Or that the fanbase goes back 4 generations.

04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Garv23

The media cracks me the hell up. Avery probably said he stubbed his toe once visiting Buffalo and it became this story haha

Can't wait for tomorrow night! Go Rangers!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown: "The response was a little chilly. We think it might have some indication of what kind of faith they have in their hockey team. We on the other hand are very proud and very confident in betting on the Buffalo Sabres."
**RING RING**

Bloomberg: Hello?

Mayor Brown: Hey there, Mikey! Some series we got coming up! Whaddya say to a little friendly wager?

Bloomberg: Um, sorry, who's this?

Brown:
It's Byron!

Bloomberg: ...............Nelson?

Brown: No, it's Mayor Brown! I want to bet on the upcoming series?

Bloomberg: Oh. The Mets-Rockies series? You're the mayor of Denver, right?

Brown: No, Buffalo!! I want to bet on the Sabres-Rangers series!

Bloomberg: Oh. Sorry. Um, well, Buffalo doesn't really have anything that we want. But feel free to come visit anytime. I'll even waive the $8 dollar car fee for Manhattan if you feel like driving. *click*

Brown: .....Hello?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

I love the guy...I was one of the few people that wanted him on this team....BUT this is the garbage that this team doesn't need...It's the playoffs...Say it and do it on the ice...not in the media...not in the playoffs....Really If I'm a Sabres fan or player I'm saying "Who the eff is Sean Avery?"

Could you imagine the uproar if an opposing player said this about a Rangers player?

i don't know but if a player on the Sabres gets hurt on a borderline check by Avery (which COULD happen) does the league point to these comments as a reason to suspend?

I don't know....
I think Sean is REAL excited about GIVING IT HIS EVERY OUNCE OF EFFORT in these playoffs. He has a lot to prove before he even opens his mouth. When ranks on the other team you can tell he's *** with them, but when he says stuff like nothing will stop us from winning the look in his eye is 110% positive that will be the outcome. That dudes gameface is a sincere intensity the Rangers havent seen in a long time.

04-24-2007, 11:45 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Avery is the best at wat he does....wish he was on my team.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:25 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:

Avery is contagious! He has the potential to completely control the Sabres, I can't see guys like Briere putting up with his **** for long. I call Rangers in six, too.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Balej20*

I gurantee you, you will see the Sabres go out of their way to avoid/ignore Avery. The coaching staff will obviously tell the team to do this...which means Avery has already gotten into their heads, and it's just the beginning.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

The numbers don't lie, and believe me, the whole "suits excuse" is old, and isn't very true. The suits don't fill up the seats up top.
Dude - I grew up in NY and went to plenty of Rangers and Knicks games over the years. I know there are a lot of die-hard blue shirt fans. But your statement is kind of a joke. At least half the Garden is bought out by law firms, Wall St. and the like, leaving only a few thousand cheap seats, at most, for the 7 million people who live in the area. Heck, I liven in LA now, and even here there aren't even a fraction of the number of suits as in NY (I use the word "suit"figuratively -- we don't wear them too much out here).

If you ever get the chance to go see a game at HSBC, you'll see the difference. If every lawyer and business in Buffalo bought season tickets, they'd fill up about 2 sections.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

I don't know....
Do you even understand how we are in the playoffs? Before we got Sean, things were not looking this good. Give him some reign. He's talking with edge, its what we needed and what we still do.

Give him some credit. Sean has one goal and four assists in four playoff games this year. He has matched Briere's and Drury's point totals in one less game, and has matched Briere goal for assists for point.

As far as I'm concerned, Avery has ALREADY backed up his words. He just has to continue...

I could understand if he said something completely moronic, but he's pretty mild here.

Old
04-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Zobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Avery is contagious! He has the potential to completely control the Sabres, I can't see guys like Briere putting up with his **** for long. I call Rangers in six, too.
I thought nobody put any stock in the things that Stan Fischler said?

Isn't there more to a best-of-seven game hockey series than Sean Avery?

Seems like everyone is drinking his kool aid. I can't wait until this goes to the ice tonight.

Zobes is offline   Reply With Quote