HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about high sticking

Old
04-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
Question about high sticking

So my center wins a faceoff to me in the offensive zone (i'm a left wing) and I try to snap a quick shot, which sends my stick blade above eye level. The defenseman blocks it, and the puck is at our feet. I quickly try to bring my stick down and catch him in his cage. I got called for two minutes. Is that normally a penalty? Is it kind of a gray area?

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
McNasty

Anytime your stick hits another players cage you'll likely see an arm up. It is kind of a gray area, but I think it's a fair call. It wasn't the follow through of the shot that made you hit him. Similar things have happened to me while im stickhandling, i go to bring my stick from left to right over top of the guy and it hits his helmet and the arm goes up. Just one of those things you've gotta live with.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
technophile

Send a message via MSN to technophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So my center wins a faceoff to me in the offensive zone (i'm a left wing) and I try to snap a quick shot, which sends my stick blade above eye level. The defenseman blocks it, and the puck is at our feet. I quickly try to bring my stick down and catch him in his cage. I got called for two minutes. Is that normally a penalty? Is it kind of a gray area?
First off, why is a snap shot sending your stick blade up so high? Unless you're two feet taller than the other guy, there's no need for that; your follow through should be no higher than waist level (same for your windup), so yeah, I'd call you.

Second, the rules of the game require that you always be responsible for where your stick is, no matter the circumstances; if the stick blade goes up and represents a danger to another player, for any reason at all, it's a high-sticking penalty. Period. "I was just following through" is not a valid excuse.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

I'd agree that it's the right call.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Definitely a right call. No reason to have your stick up that high in that situation, truthfully.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hah, I get hit in the face all the time by sticks and the refs never call anything. I guess I should try the good ol'knock the head back maneuver, although I don't know if that's very believable with a cage.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Gino 14

The call was good. I've even gone so far as to warn a player about carrying his stick in the air, just that act alone can be called for highsticking. There is no need to have your stick, any part of it, that high in the air.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Hah, I get hit in the face all the time by sticks and the refs never call anything. I guess I should try the good ol'knock the head back maneuver, although I don't know if that's very believable with a cage.
It will work, and put more emphasis on it. Throw your hands back and your upper body too, but don't go down.

Don't think of it as a dive or an embellishment, think of it as visually assisting the referee.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
frito

Yeah, that was the right call. A while back my stick got tied up and as I was trying to free it I cam down on a guys helmet. As I was saying "Oh sh.., sorry man" the whistle blew and the arm went up. I knew right away I was going to the box for a few minutes to feel shame. It was absolutely the right call as you are required to control your stick at all times.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Keetz

any contact with your stick to a cage has to be called according to usa hockey rules. even accidents. the only time it won't be called is if your holding your stick at elbow level and the opponent skates into it.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote