HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Calls out Sabres

Old
04-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Clock

vCash: 500
Let me thank Avery: Though I doubt he's playing the Hannibal-esque mindscrew games some of you apparently think he is, he's probably given our guys a little extra motivation - exactly what they needed after the Isles series.

Thanks!

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:53 AM
WheresBarnaby

"I'm going to hurt them, I'm going to hit them, I'm going to be in their face as much as I can," the Rangers' catalytic converter said"

Catalytic converter? That doesn't even make sense, lol.

Anyway nice to see Avery being Avery as always. Does it mean a damn thing either way? Probably not, but he's always a good time.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:58 AM
SabreToof

Who is sean Avery, really?

Lets see: Sean Avery is one player. One player. I don't understand this hype. If anything I've learned this season and last is that not one player wins games, its the team. Sean Avery will not single handley win the series for the rangers. I don't care how you put it, but he cannot take and piss off 4 lines of offense. You cannot take the whole team off their game. You will get to some players, but not all. You know what will let you win, Lunquist playing better then Miller and an effective powerplay, shutting us down 5 on 5. That and this cocky attitude might come back to bite you. Its a coaching gamble.

We play in a division with Darcy *ucker, and Chris Neal. 16 games a season we deal with clowns like this. Any time any of those players say anything, they eat those words. They play what, a max of like 16 minutes a game? Look what happened when Darcy said that all they had to do was hit them? Look what happened when Chris Neal took a cheap hit on Drury? Avery doesn't bother me. And it seems that the Sabres thrive at challenges. If they aren't challenged, they slip into complacency.

This media hype from Renney and Avery are getting the Sabres angry, true like Ruff and Miller said. Like that Japanese general said after pearl harbor, its like waking a sleeping giant.

Sabres in 6.

SabreToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 08:08 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreToof View Post

Lets see: Sean Avery is one player. One player. I don't understand this hype. If anything I've learned this season and last is that not one player wins games, its the team. Sean Avery will not single handley win the series for the rangers. I don't care how you put it, but he cannot take and piss off 4 lines of offense. You cannot take the whole team off their game. You will get to some players, but not all. You know what will let you win, Lunquist playing better then Miller and an effective powerplay, shutting us down 5 on 5. That and this cocky attitude might come back to bite you. Its a coaching gamble.

We play in a division with Darcy *ucker, and Chris Neal. 16 games a season we deal with clowns like this. Any time any of those players say anything, they eat those words. They play what, a max of like 16 minutes a game? Look what happened when Darcy said that all they had to do was hit them? Look what happened when Chris Neal took a cheap hit on Drury? Avery doesn't bother me. And it seems that the Sabres thrive at challenges. If they aren't challenged, they slip into complacency.

This media hype from Renney and Avery are getting the Sabres angry, true like Ruff and Miller said. Like that Japanese general said after pearl harbor, its like waking a sleeping giant.

Sabres in 6.

Coaching gamble? I disagree, the entire NHL and the majority of hockey fans in general, are expecting to see Buffalo in the finals. If anything statements like show the Rangers confidence in the face of adversity, which is something this team hasn't had in a long time. You wanted to know who Sean Avery is? He's the heart of that very confidence.

Sabres in 6 aint happening

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 08:44 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Coaching gamble? I disagree, the entire NHL and the majority of hockey fans in general, are expecting to see Buffalo in the finals. If anything statements like show the Rangers confidence in the face of adversity, which is something this team hasn't had in a long time. You wanted to know who Sean Avery is? He's the heart of that very confidence.

Sabres in 6 aint happening
Not quite, not anymore after a "disappointing'' victory of NYI. We were the team that was supposed to sweep in impressive fashion. Like i said this media hype, its like awaking a sleeping giant. It lights the fires under the sabres butt, so to say.

What separates confidence from arrogance is the line that the rangers and their media is walking. Hell even Mayor Bloomburg adds to the fuel (which i feel is pretty disrespectful that he would refer to Buffalo's loosing heritage on top of snubbing our friendly wager). God forbid that confidence gets crushed, because this series may be over sooner then i and others would think.

Renney is taking a coaching gamble, by saying we aren't the cream of the crop, he is saying one of two things depending on what side you are on: rangers side, we can beat these guys (why not just quote Herb Brooks?), sabres side: we walked all over atlanta and they [the sabres] aren't playing great hockey, so we can beat these guys. Thats a bold statement and a challenge to the sabres. Thats why it is a coaching gamble.

But until i see otherwise tonight, i think Avery's comments should harm them more then the would do good. Here's an article to show you what i mean.

http://www.buffalonews.com/214/story/61537.html

God can't wait til game time so we can see where we stand after this.

Old
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not quite, not anymore after a "disappointing'' victory of NYI. We were the team that was supposed to sweep in impressive fashion. Like i said this media hype, its like awaking a sleeping giant. It lights the fires under the sabres butt, so to say.

What separates confidence from arrogance is the line that the rangers and their media is walking. Hell even Mayor Bloomburg adds to the fuel (which i feel is pretty disrespectful that he would refer to Buffalo's loosing heritage on top of snubbing our friendly wager). God forbid that confidence gets crushed, because this series may be over sooner then i and others would think.

Renney is taking a coaching gamble, by saying we aren't the cream of the crop, he is saying one of two things depending on what side you are on: rangers side, we can beat these guys (why not just quote Herb Brooks?), sabres side: we walked all over atlanta and they [the sabres] aren't playing great hockey, so we can beat these guys. Thats a bold statement and a challenge to the sabres. Thats why it is a coaching gamble.

But until i see otherwise tonight, i think Avery's comments should harm them more then the would do good. Here's an article to show you what i mean.

http://www.buffalonews.com/214/story/61537.html

God can't wait til game time so we can see where we stand after this.
If the Sabres need comments for Avery and Renney to "wake the sleeping giant" then they are indeed not a great team.

Renney is taking a coaching gamble? Um kay. How? All he said was the Rangers are also a good team. Then again, judging by the response of some Sabre fans, implying anything postive about the Rangers is akin as saying the Sabres suck. Nobody is saying that. All we're saying it the Rangers have more than just a chance to win the series.

I'm sure it's Buffalo fans that are getting more fired up by these quotes than the players.

But let's consider for a second that it's not just the fans:

FADE IN

INT. Sabre's LOCKERROOM. We see Chris Drury sitting by his locker. His face is the usual expressionless one we usually see. From stage left Daniel Briere enters.

DB: Hey Chris.

CD: Hi Danny.

DB: How's it goin' man?

CD: Eh.

DB: EH? But we play the Rangers tonight.

CD: I know. Just not that into it.

DB: Oh. Well look at this. (hands copy of paper to Drury)

CD: What? Tom Renney doesn't think we're “the cream of the crop”? Well, that, that that just really irks me. I think I want to play now.

DB: Wait 'til you see this.

CD: Sean Avery.....hates me? Gosh that hurts.

DB: Use it man.

CD: Use it?

DB: Yeah. Don't get sad. Get mad!

CD: That never occured to me. Now I really, really want to play. No....I want to more than just play. I WANT TO WIN. (lapsing inexplicably into Yosemite Sam) OOOOOOO I HATES RANGERS!

DB: That's more like it. (looking up to the ceiling) Thanks Tom. Thanks Sean. I'll save the Mke Bloomberg card for Game 2.

FADE TO BLACK

FIN.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-25-2007 at 09:08 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Lets not stop there. Who are any of us really?

Old
04-25-2007, 09:12 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
What is he supposed to say? Is he supposed to throw in the towel before the series starts?

Quote:
Hell even Mayor Bloomburg adds to the fuel (which i feel is pretty disrespectful that he would refer to Buffalo's loosing heritage on top of snubbing our friendly wager).
If this is what the Sabres need to fuel their Stanley Cup drive, they are pathetic

BroadwayBlueshirt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not talking about firing up the Rangers. I'm talking about peope saying that what he said is bulletin board material which means more to opposing fans than it does to opposing players.
I would tend to agree with you on that.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt85 View Post
What is he supposed to say? Is he supposed to throw in the towel before the series starts?

If this is what the Sabres need to fuel their Stanley Cup drive, they are pathetic
That's exactly the point(s).

Old
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
That's exactly the point(s).
Sorry for the repetition.

Old
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobes View Post
I thought nobody put any stock in the things that Stan Fischler said?

Isn't there more to a best-of-seven game hockey series than Sean Avery?

Seems like everyone is drinking his kool aid. I can't wait until this goes to the ice tonight.
There's plenty more to the series than Sean Avery. Such as us being the hottest team in the league over the final month and then dismantling Atlanta in a first round sweep, while Buffalo trudged past the Sticks (the worst team in the playoffs) while getting every ******* call out there. I like our chances to win, even if Sean Avery had his jaw wired shut.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Sorry for the repetition.
Not repetitive at all. Just agreeing.

Old
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
If the Sabres need comments for Avery and Renney to "wake the sleeping giant" then they are indeed not a great team.

Renney is taking a coaching gamble? Um kay. How? All he said was the Rangers are also a good team. Then again, judging by the response of some Sabre fans, implying anything postive about the Rangers is akin as saying the Sabres suck. Nobody is saying that. All we're saying it the Rangers have more than just a chance to win the series.

I'm sure it's Buffalo fans that are getting more fired up by these quotes than the players.

But let's consider for a second that it's not just the fans:

FADE IN

Pointless exaggerated skit, that just wastes up bandwidth.

FADE TO BLACK

FIN.
You right, they aren't great. They haven't won anything yet. They are a very good team though. Doesn't matter how they win games, just so long as they continue to win games, motivation comes in unique ways. Like for your team, a trade of a very emotional player. Other teams, its a coach. For others, its adversity, what the Sabres thrive in.

And Renney said what he thought would pump his team up. I agree, but clearly you can't see that there was at least a little jab at Buffalo. You don't have to be a chick to be able read that deeply into what he is saying. And what he is also saying is that Buffalo was the suck in the first round.

Lindy put it very nicely, nothing in that first series made us angry. We didn't play with heart and emotion, all this buzz creates emotion. If it effects the fans, it does effect the team as well. After all, who are the fans, but the people that fill the building and cheer for you, that does not give any sort of boost?

And if you think that this stuff doesn't effect the players, you have to be dead wrong. What was it that Avery said, "I am going to hurt them." Don't you think that players are going to react to that, and adjust their play. Why is it that the Sens put in McGratton after the Sabres brawl? Was that not partially a reaction to what the media was saying about the game? What this means is that your stupid skit has little truth behind it.

Quote:
Two pages ago, Rags to riches fans were saying how Avery is everyones minds and nerves and bothers everyone: players, fans and coaches. I say nay, he may be doing us a favor, and i get called out on it. Hypocracy is more contagious then ignorance.

Quote:

As having the best record in the league, teams become cocky and lazy as a result. Hey ,we played a series that we barely deserved to win. Outside of game 1, we did not play a 60 minute hockey game all series, they just never felt challenged, and they were lazy (see Game 5 3rd period meltdown).Obviously they are better then that, if it means calling them out, (after all hockey players are human too, they read the media) then so be it. As long as you didn't cheat, does it matter how you got yourself into the game, so long as you win?

Old
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:54 AM
ExiledRangersFan

Quote:
Two pages ago, Rags to riches fans were saying how Avery is everyones minds and nerves and bothers everyone: players, fans and coaches. I say nay, he may be doing us a favor, and i get called out on it. Hypocracy is more contagious then ignorance.

How terribly pompous. Anyway, there's a fine chance that Avery isn't a factor in the series, maybe even hurts the team. However, if you ask a silly sounding question, you get silly answers.

ExiledRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:58 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
As having the best record in the league, teams become cocky and lazy as a result. Hey ,we played a series that we barely deserved to win. Outside of game 1, we did not play a 60 minute hockey game all series, they just never felt challenged, and they were lazy (see Game 5 3rd period meltdown).Obviously they are better then that, if it means calling them out, (after all hockey players are human too, they read the media) then so be it. As long as you didn't cheat, does it matter how you got yourself into the game, so long as you win?
This is the conference semifinals...If they needed help getting going for this series, I have lost a lot of respect for the team.

Also, if what you say is true, Ruff needs to take some time away from devising the best gameplan in the universe and try to inspire his team a bit.

Old
04-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

a team that has drury on it won't fall for avery's comments. (i love avery and drury, wish they both were on the rangers)

that said, when avery ends yet another season for connolly and takes a run at briere then we will see the Sabres get rattled.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
ExiledRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
a team that has drury on it won't fall for avery's comments. (i love avery and drury, wish they both were on the rangers)
This is how I feel about the whole thing. Avery's just having his fun, Drury will keep the Sabres from doing anything stupid.

ExiledRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
This is the conference semifinals...If they needed help getting going for this series, I have lost a lot of respect for the team.

Also, if what you say is true, Ruff needs to take some time away from devising the best gameplan in the universe and try to inspire his team a bit.
i won't deny it. Its no secret the sabres like the underdog role.

Old
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post

that said, when avery ends yet another season for connolly and takes a run at briere then we will see the Sabres get rattled.
For the record, its not SabreS, its sabRES. That is the most annoying thing ever.

Hitting briere won't matter, you want to piss off the sabres hit drury. knock him out.

Old
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
1) Avery will bug Buffalo by the end of Game 2. Every team says the same thing, it never happens. The only way to take him out of the picture is to get an anti-Avery to mess with him. Avery really isn't that big of a presence just because he's Avery - he's there to shift attention away from Jagr, Nylander, etc.

2) Buffalo is not a sleeping giant. The only time this team was "giant" was 60 games ago. Right now it's just really really good. They won in 5 against NYI, and although it wasn't completely dominating, that's still impressive for the playoffs. Buffalo is good, a definite cup contender, but not someone that is going to win the rest of these series with ease.

Rangers win tonight = 6 or 7 games going either way.
Sabres win tonight = Buffalo wins series in 5 or 6.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:25 AM
SPG

Quote:

Sabres in 6.
You're right - he is just one player. One player you guys can't stop talking about.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:27 AM
SPG

Quote:

Excellent point. If a team needs an opponent with someone like Avery to pump them up for the Conference Semifinals, there are some issues.

Last edited by SPG: 04-25-2007 at 10:41 AM.
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
The Big Apple

Quote:

Sabres in 6.
Niel's so called "cheap shot" on Drury, is what real hockey fans call getting owned...

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote