HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery Calls out Sabres

Old
04-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Goose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There's plenty more to the series than Sean Avery. Such as us being the hottest team in the league over the final month and then dismantling Atlanta in a first round sweep, while Buffalo trudged past the Sticks (the worst team in the playoffs) while getting every ******* call out there. I like our chances to win, even if Sean Avery had his jaw wired shut.
I agree that the Rangers have a legitimate shot at getting past the Sabres. I don't think Avery's comments are productive for the Rangers, however. The Sabres seem to have had some motivational problems, and whoever said that bulletin board material is for the fans I disagree with strongly. The Sabres have a very strange psyche as a team and right now I think it's pretty ho-hum coming off of the Isles. If they start to realize they're in for a real series here they might come out harder than if Avery had of just kept his mouth shut.

Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
For a player that is suppose to be a "professional" it is rediculous for him to basically say hes going out there to hurt someone..

I watched an interview with this avery tool and he said something to the effect of "Ive been secretly making things up in my head that their team has done to me so I can get ready for the series"... alright, I honestly think this guy is borderline retarded and damn near psychotic. Secretly? lmao wow :coocoo:

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreToof View Post
Who is sean Avery, really?

Lets see: Sean Avery is one player. One player. I don't understand this hype. If anything I've learned this season and last is that not one player wins games, its the team. Sean Avery will not single handley win the series for the rangers. I don't care how you put it, but he cannot take and piss off 4 lines of offense. You cannot take the whole team off their game. You will get to some players, but not all. You know what will let you win, Lunquist playing better then Miller and an effective powerplay, shutting us down 5 on 5. That and this cocky attitude might come back to bite you. Its a coaching gamble.

We play in a division with Darcy *ucker, and Chris Neal. 16 games a season we deal with clowns like this. Any time any of those players say anything, they eat those words. They play what, a max of like 16 minutes a game? Look what happened when Darcy said that all they had to do was hit them? Look what happened when Chris Neal took a cheap hit on Drury? Avery doesn't bother me. And it seems that the Sabres thrive at challenges. If they aren't challenged, they slip into complacency.

This media hype from Renney and Avery are getting the Sabres angry, true like Ruff and Miller said. Like that Japanese general said after pearl harbor, its like waking a sleeping giant.

Sabres in 6.
And can I ask what "media hype" is coming from Avery and Renney? In New York, there are these things called newspapers, that print comments from players and coaches. Avery made one comment that barely got a mention in a column in one newspaper, while Tom Renney said what any respectable coach would say. I don't see how that's "media hype" from Renney and Avery. I know you guys get no coverage up there in Canada, but down here these two comments barely count as a blip on the media hype machine's radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
For a player that is suppose to be a "professional" it is rediculous for him to basically say hes going out there to hurt someone..

I watched an interview with this avery tool and he said something to the effect of "Ive been secretly making things up in my head that their team has done to me so I can get ready for the series"... alright, I honestly think this guy is borderline retarded and damn near psychotic. Secretly? lmao wow :coocoo:
1. Spell check

2. Avery's job is to hurt people. If by "hurt people" you think he's meaning that he's going to deliberately injure people, then you're foolish, reading into his comments way too far and falling into his trap. Avery IS a professional- he's not a dirty player, just a ******* annoying one and a pest. Anyone who tells you otherwise has likely never seen him play and is just repeating the same old Avery-hating stereotypes.

3. He's creating conflict in his mind to gear himself up even harder for this series. Retarded? Hardly, it's just a mental trick. Borderline psychotic? I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's possible.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 04-25-2007 at 11:17 AM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Excellent point. If a team needs an opponent with someone like Avery to pump them up for the Conference Semifinals, there are some issues.
Flame away, i posted in a rangers forum, i don't expect much sympathy or agreement, but all in all, both teams are in the same place. Issues or otherwise. The better team will win, issues or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Niel's so called "cheap shot" on Drury, is what real hockey fans call getting owned...
I don't want to relive the debate, but Neal started skating from behind and hit Drury after he shot the puck. Since he had no time to react, because he had shot the puck and the fact that he was made aware of Neal at the last minute, demonstrates that the hit was cheap. Was it legal? Yes. Could Neal stop from hitting him? Yes. I will settle for it was a controversial hit, how does that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
1) Avery will bug Buffalo by the end of Game 2. Every team says the same thing, it never happens. The only way to take him out of the picture is to get an anti-Avery to mess with him. Avery really isn't that big of a presence just because he's Avery - he's there to shift attention away from Jagr, Nylander, etc.

2) Buffalo is not a sleeping giant. The only time this team was "giant" was 60 games ago. Right now it's just really really good. They won in 5 against NYI, and although it wasn't completely dominating, that's still impressive for the playoffs. Buffalo is good, a definite cup contender, but not someone that is going to win the rest of these series with ease.

Rangers win tonight = 6 or 7 games going either way.
Sabres win tonight = Buffalo wins series in 5 or 6.
This is as neutral as a post i will probably see, thanks. this is what i hope for.

Point 1: awesome. i agree with the taking the heat off of the players that do matter. will he be under everyone's skin? probably not. under some? yes, he is effective. His play is great at that. and the number of how many he pisses off depends on how the series is going. If its 2-0 rangers, yeah he will piss alot of people off. If its 2-0 sabres, not so much.

Point 2: I'll agree as well, for the most part. Looking at the last 60, not awesome. Last 10 games of the season they did well. Did that matter in the first round, no. The sabres were not decisively the best team, although what separates the good teams from everyone else is their ability to win close ones. Because they are cup contenders, does not mean everyone is going to roll over. It will be a tough way, many people in Buffalo say that this is our first round of the playoffs. This will not be an easy series by any means. No matter how lopsided any outcome ****may**** be. This will be a hard fought battle. Both teams are comparable to each other.

and i also agree game 1 is crucial to the outcome of this series.

SabreToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
SabreToof

Quote:
And can I ask what "media hype" is coming from Avery and Renney? In New York, there are these things called newspapers, that print comments from players and coaches. Avery made one comment that barely got a mention in a column in one newspaper, while Tom Renney said what any respectable coach would say. I don't see how that's "media hype" from Renney and Avery. I know you guys get no coverage up there in Canada, but down here these two comments barely count as a blip on the media hype machine's radar.

1. Spell check

2. Avery's job is to hurt people. If by "hurt people" you think he's meaning that he's going to deliberately injure people, then you're foolish, reading into his comments way too far and falling into his trap. Avery IS a professional- he's not a dirty player, just a ******* annoying one and a pest. Anyone who tells you otherwise has likely never seen him play and is just repeating the same old Avery-hating stereotypes.

3. He's creating conflict in his mind to gear himself up even harder for this series. Retarded? Hardly, it's just a mental trick. Borderline psychotic? I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's possible.
Canada, ***? Did you pass 2nd grade?
here check out:
www.sabresreport.com

that site has also the coverage in the new york newspaper. And their quotes are getting attention from the new york papers. I guess you need to read the paper more often.

Old
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Canada, ***? Did you pass 2nd grade?
here check out:
www.sabresreport.com

that site has also the coverage in the new york newspaper. And their quotes are getting attention from the new york papers. I guess you need to read the paper more often.
Sarcasm, I know it's above you upstaters but it's something you'll learn as you grow up.

And I'm hardly impressed by your Sabres Report, which features Sabres columns from such reputable sources as the Olean Times Herald, Rochester D&C and Niagara Gazette. I can send a newsletter out to 100 people every morning, it doesn't make me important .

Old
04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I love it, the Sabres fans are getting all riled up and defensive and launching into "well we'll kick Avery's ass cause we're the ****" mode. Gotta love those fans in Buffalo, the "great" fans that they are. 14th in attendance in 2001, 27th in 2002, 20th in 03 and 14th last season. They're all bandwagon fans. We suck year in year out and during that same span we still fill up the house most nights. Buffalo fans are a bunch of punks and so is the team. Give them to Canada.

Rangers in 6, Avery handing out 3 bloodied noses.
Would you be kind enough to point me to where the Sabres fans are getting riled up and defensive? I'd like to call out any Sabres fans that are doing so.

Thanks!

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Would you be kind enough to point me to where the Sabres fans are getting riled up and defensive? I'd like to call out any Sabres fans that are doing so.

Thanks!
Try reading the first 4 pages of the thread.

Old
04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Try reading the first 4 pages of the thread.
I don't see it. Could you point me to some specific posts prior to yours?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I don't see it. Could you point me to some specific posts prior to yours?
If you wish, continue this via PM. Not on the boards.

Enough talking about posters and fans.

04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
SPG

Quote:
Sarcasm, I know it's above you upstaters but it's something you'll learn as you grow up.

And I'm hardly impressed by your Sabres Report, which features Sabres columns from such reputable sources as the Olean Times Herald, Rochester D&C and Niagara Gazette. I can send a newsletter out to 100 people every morning, it doesn't make me important .
Easy now... there are plenty of upstaters that are Rangers fans too. No need to turn this into some kind of NYC vs. Upstaters BS.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Easy now... there are plenty of upstaters that are Rangers fans too. No need to turn this into some kind of NYC vs. Upstaters BS.
SPG, I have nothing at all against upstaters. It's just something I can do to get under the skin of Sabres fans . That, and apparently by spelling Sabres as Sabres.

Old
04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
SPG

Quote:
SPG, I have nothing at all against upstaters. It's just something I can do to get under the skin of Sabres fans . That, and apparently spell Sabres as Sabres.
That'll do it... gotta love playoff time when your team is actually in it. It's been a long 10 years...

Lets go Rangers... beat those Sabres!

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
2x4*

I dont see Avery doing much this series to be honest. The 1 person will not get the sabres off their game in the playoffs. The entire philly team was trying to do what avery wants to do last year and they were made to look like fools.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus15 View Post
I dont see Avery doing much this series to be honest. The 1 person will not get the sabres off their game in the playoffs. The entire philly team was trying to do what avery wants to do last year and they were made to look like fools.
Well, in addition to Avery being a pest and getting under the skin of opponents, the guy has skills, too. That's something I feel like a lot of people overlook. He's always battling in the corners, working down low and crashing the net. 8G and 12A in 29GP for us, so he's no slouch as an actual offensive contributor.

Old
04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Well, in addition to Avery being a pest and getting under the skin of opponents, the guy has skills, too. That's something I feel like a lot of people overlook. He's always battling in the corners, working down low and crashing the net. 8G and 12A in 29GP for us, so he's no slouch as an actual offensive contributor.
I know that but as far as changing a series I dont see it based on how the team reacted last years playoffs. To be honest I wanted avery in a sluggo at the deadline

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:29 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Niel's so called "cheap shot" on Drury, is what real hockey fans call getting owned...
Sabres don't like that. whine whine.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:31 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus15 View Post
That's the thing. No one ever does. *evil laughter*

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
SabreToof

Quote:

you are so silly. On top of dealing with an intellectual here, we also have the makings of the next star on Comedy Central.

I mean come on who would ever put a link from the new york times next to the Olean Times herald. What are they crazy? I mean everything in NYC >> Buffalo. I humbly respect your opinion because I know that 100% of my tax dollars go to the big apple. And they will continue to even if my beloved SabreS go the distance. But at least that site shows both sides of the coin, and thats more then a lot of posters can say here.

Well we will see when the puck is dropped. To one hell of a series...

Old
04-25-2007, 01:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
you are so silly. On top of dealing with an intellectual here, we also have the makings of the next star on Comedy Central.

I mean come on who would ever put a link from the new york times next to the Olean Times herald. What are they crazy? I mean everything in NYC >> Buffalo. I humbly respect your opinion because I know that 100% of my tax dollars go to the big apple. And they will continue to even if my beloved SabreS go the distance. But at least that site shows both sides of the coin, and thats more then a lot of posters can say here.

Well we will see when the puck is dropped. To one hell of a series...
See, this is what I miss about not living in the Big Apple any longer. You think Capitals fans give a **** when I talk down to them? Of course not, they just say "yeah well we have Ovechkin" and cower. I love a good back and forth, something I sorely miss living here in D.C. Agreed, it ought to be a hell of a series.

Old
04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm really not sure how or why anyone would construe Avery's comments as meaning he intends to intentionally injure members of the Sabres.

It just sounds like he's saying he's going to play hard and physical.
Really?

I don't take Avery comments to mean he intends to injure somebody...My point is that if he does the league can point to these comments if the hit was borderline......

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 04:02 PM
NYRaNgErS99112

Send a message via AIM to NYRaNgErS99112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
good pernt

in the last two seasons there hasnt been a single guy to get under the skin of the sabres the way avery is trying right now

and if he tries to pull a chris neal the sabres will give the ranger stars the neal treatment right back

when all is said and done ill bet it ends up being mostly just talk. he will end up hurting his team if he presses the issue. the rangers should already know that and if they dont then, well, bring it on and feel the pain

He got under the Thrashers' skin last series and it really worked well for the Rangers.

NYRaNgErS99112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
ExiledRangersFan

Avery called me up and told me he was going to kick Briere's dog before the game....

ExiledRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
SabreToof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan View Post
Avery called me up and told me he was going to kick Briere's dog before the game....
Do yo want to know why Drury is so successful, because he eats turtles for breakfast!

Old
04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Rochester22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I think Avery is gonna target Briere this series. Last series he was tap dancing in kovalchuks head. briere seems like the type of guy who will get razzled and possibly get caught up in Averys stuff. Drury won't get suckered into Averys stuff, he seems like the type of player that will just ignore him. Avery annoys everyone on the other team but he usually picks one guy to really hound usually goalies. Interesting to see how ryan miller reacts to avery, we've seen him really annoy Brodeur and Dipietro.
yeah we did see him "try" and annoy Brodeur. After Avery pushed him to the ice guess what happened? Brodeur stonewalled the Rest of the Rangers team and the Devils ended up winning the game

Rochester22 is offline   Reply With Quote