HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tarik says 07-08 Playoffs or Bust

Old
04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
It honestly seems that way.

But lets just wait and see what happens, hopefully I am wrong. Because I would love to see Hannon, and Gomez and a salary close to the Cap limit.
12 million or so to sign both of those guys would not put the team near the limit.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
12 million or so to sign both of those guys would not put the team near the limit.
Actually it would starting the 08/09 season, But I wasn't even implying that those two would in that post. I was trying to say I would like to see both of those guys with the Caps AND the Caps spending the limit (meaning more talent on the team in general).

But the actual salary cap doesn't matter for this team anyway. Unless you think the Caps are going to spend a penny over 40 million any time soon?

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Actually it would starting the 08/09 season, But I wasn't even implying that those two would in that post. I was trying to say I would like to see both of those guys with the Caps AND the Caps spending the limit (meaning more talent on the team in general).

But the actual salary cap doesn't matter for this team anyway. Unless you think the Caps are going to spend a penny over 40 million any time soon?
This coming year? No, probably not.

But the year after that, I'd expect the team to be closer if not over.

Old
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:

No, the salary cap doesn't matter to Leonsis. Look for the Caps to be around $36M next year, with Leonsis touting what will still be the lowest amount spent by any team in the NHL as a major "increase" over 06/07.

HockeyEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Major

Major's predictions:

Hanlon fired by Christmas, McPhee at the end of the 07-08 season after the Caps miss by 7 points

Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Major's predictions:

Hanlon fired by Christmas, McPhee at the end of the 07-08 season after the Caps miss by 7 points
If the Caps are in it down the stretch and fall short in the single digit range, then there is no way McPhee gets canned.

Old
04-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
If the Caps are in it down the stretch and fall short in the single digit range, then there is no way McPhee gets canned.
I agree, and I would also say Hanlon's job would be pretty safe also.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Mothra

Quote:
I think they need to be well in it thru the deadline and up until the last couple games or so for him to keep his job.....if they look almost out of it around the deadline but put together a nice little run falling short I think he's gone.....

this team has to look and play like a good hockey team for most/all of next season....that may be a relative term so I'll say that have to look/play better than they did for the first few months of this season. Even when they were holding their own in the standings early on it was clear they werent the better team most nights...thats gotta change....and there is no reason it cant. I was reading some comments on the Oilers board....and how their GM is saying they are in the position to overpay for the right players.....his comment was more on trades it sounded, but thats fine....GMGM needs to be aggressive and creative in moving these assets. He collected him....time to turn this into something.

They have all the cap room in the world, a serious bigtime superstar, extra picks to go with their extra prospects, enough pretty good players that seem to get along and possibly even like each other...of all ages. This team needs to look and play a lot different than they have over the last 2 seasons.....and for me thats just the way it is. I am not suggesting they will or wont.....it will be fun arguing the next few months about all sorts of different ideas and scenarios.....but if this isnt a real NHL hockey club next season Im going to be pissed

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
They have all the cap room in the world, a serious bigtime superstar, extra picks to go with their extra prospects, enough pretty good players that seem to get along and possibly even like each other...of all ages. This team needs to look and play a lot different than they have over the last 2 seasons.....and for me thats just the way it is. I am not suggesting they will or wont.....it will be fun arguing the next few months about all sorts of different ideas and scenarios.....but if this isnt a real NHL hockey club next season Im going to be pissed
I'm going to hold you to that!

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
If we do surprise the world and go on a free agent binge (Ted does have serious bank), Hanlon will be hard pressed to get all those guys playing as one before his job will be on the line. The big FA's will be asked to focus on playing solid D and not score and that will be it for GH. He can ask Gibbs about FA signing success stories (he will probably be gone in Dec. too)...

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If they don't go out and get things done this offseason, heads will roll before December.

I also don't care so much about the whole "mesh/gel" kinda thing. Look, Ovechkin has talent. A good player is going to be able to figure out how to play with him. Semin's going to be relatively difficult, but Backstrom and him have all summer. If they spend on big talent, it better produce from the start (somewhat, or at least soon) or they spent on the wrong pieces. Gomez, Drury et al that they might sign ought to produce early without much of a hiccup.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I'm going to hold you to that!
ive been saying it since the lockout.....

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The bust being that McPhee gets fired if the Caps fail to make the playoffs this next season and the franchise takes a major hit. Tarik said that a repeatedly in his last online chat session.

Who thinks that is accurate and who thinks its expecting too much?

Personally, my attitude is that if they miss the playoffs next season that I have better things to do with my time. If they don't make significant roster additions this offseason, I may not be buying center ice and may not spend on hockey til I see the Caps winning again. So, I agree with Tarik.
Tarik also said the Caps would be bringing in Datsyuk.

When will you guys learn?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Tarik also said the Caps would be bringing in Datsyuk.

When will you guys learn?

Tarik never said the Caps would be bringing in Datsyuk. He said that Dats would be a logical target for the Caps or that the Caps would target him.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
txpd

Correct. Tarik said that Datsyuk would make sense. He could have even suggested that the Caps intended to make a serious run at signing him. That predisposes, of course, that Datsyuk would make it to the free agent market.

That prerequisit was not met and you blame Tarik?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote