HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

PP & PK defensive pairings

Old
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
PP & PK defensive pairings

Now that we, the Blues Board, have figured out who we have as our D. Who goes where on the penalty kill and power play units?

I would have Jackman and McKee on the 1st PK and Salvy and Brewer on the 2nd (they seemed to play well together there).

On the PP, I would pair Jaxs and Backman initally and Johnson and Brewer on the 2nd.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
2ForRoughing*

I hate Brewer on the PK... or on the ice at anytime for that matter. Bad decisions in the defensize zone get magnified when shorthanded. He's brutal.
PK
Jax/McKee
Backman/Salvador

PP
Backman/ Brewer
Jackman/Woywitka

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
PP:
Woywitka/Brewer
Backman/Jackman

PK:
McKee/Jackman
Salvador/Brewer

When EJ is ready... put him with Woywitka on the PP.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
barnburner

It's really hard to realistically make those pairing at this point, because there is a huge probability of at least one dman going in a trade.

I think we can safely say that Jackman and Brewer will be 2 of the 4 point men on the pp, with EJ probably moving in there as he progresses.
Backman might be in there somewhere, but he is likely tradebait.

Jackman and Mckee along with Brewer and Salvador on the pk look to be solid pairings at this point.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:22 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
I think we can safely say that Jackman and Brewer will be 2 of the 4 point men on the pp, with EJ probably moving in there as he progresses.
Backman might be in there somewhere, but he is likely tradebait.
1) Don't forget that Murray liked having Stempniak on the point on the PP. In fact; I'll go so far as to say that Stempy-Brewer is our top PP tandem at the moment.

2) While EJ will eventually take one of those point spots; I think right now they belong to Woywitka/Backman(which ever one survives the Draft day trades). You need a heavy shot out there with Jax(Jax was surprisingly efficient at distributing the puck but doesn't have that good of a shot) and for now those two have the heaviest shots on our Blueline.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) Don't forget that Murray liked having Stempniak on the point on the PP. In fact; I'll go so far as to say that Stempy-Brewer is our top PP tandem at the moment.

2) While EJ will eventually take one of those point spots; I think right now they belong to Woywitka/Backman(which ever one survives the Draft day trades). You need a heavy shot out there with Jax(Jax was surprisingly efficient at distributing the puck but doesn't have that good of a shot) and for now those two have the heaviest shots on our Blueline.
I love Stempy's game, but he was disastrous on the point. It was an experiment that failed miserably.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:46 PM
barnburner

Quote:

It's true that Jax doesn't have the traditional big shot from the point, but, he makes really good decisions with the puck, and is without a doubt, the best on this team at keeping the puck from getting out of the offensive zone on his point - Somthing that Brewer is just awful at. I can't count the number of power plays that got disrupted because he couldn't keep the puck in.
Jackman is clearly not a #1 pp pairing, but I think he is solid on the 2d pair.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 11:58 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:

don't forget after the experiment, murray took stempy off the point, and put everyone and his brother on the point including jackman, polak, woywitka. i'm not seeinf stempy on the point next season.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I know he is awful there but I'd expect to see Weight at the Point some more next season.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I completely forgot about Woywitka on the PP. He probably deserves to be there, but not exactly sure where and with who.

2ForRoughing, regardless of you thoughts on Brew, I think Murry really likes the guy and will put him there.

barnburner, totally agree with your statement on Jax, but I feel he is the best on the PP as of right now, on the Blues. He has the potential to elevate his game on the offensive side as his confidence grows. I think we can all agree that this was true as he saw more ice time as the season came to its end.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
barmor

Johnson - Polak

No, really.

barmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
don't forget after the experiment, murray took stempy off the point, and put everyone and his brother on the point including jackman, polak, woywitka. i'm not seeinf stempy on the point next season.
I agree. Stemp's shot is more effective in "Hull-Land", at the top of the circles.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I know he is awful there but I'd expect to see Weight at the Point some more next season.
I hope not. He gave up a lot of shorthanded rushes and a few breakaways.

I hope E.J. will progress quickly. I hope MacInnis will work a lot with him.

I hope Woywitka will work a lot on his shot. His weight training programme this Summer can't hurt his shot, once he gets used to his added strength. Mac should work with him on his shot, too.

I agree that it's more likely that Murray will use 2 defencemen on the points in most cases. If the offence is improved by adding 2 good scorers, the PP will improve, accordingly. That top centre (Drury?-I hope!) or another proven scorer and decent playmaker, should help immeasurably.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote