HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing The Waiting Game:

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 01:55 PM
TheBudsForever

vCash: 500
Playing The Waiting Game:

Lots of time to the deadline. By the time it rolls around, alot more teams are going to realize their playoff hopes are effectively dead which means more players to potentially move. Factor in the looming CBA and teams will be looking to move big dollar players.

Potential Available Players of Interest ?????

Sergei Gonchar - WAS
Tom Poti - NYR
Brian Leetch - NYR
Greg De Vries - NYR
Darius Kasparitis - NYR
Steve Staios - EDM
Jason Smith - EDM
Cale Hulse - PHO
Sean Hill - CAR
Brett Hedican - CAR
Glen Wesley - CAR
Adrian Aucoin - NYI
Kenny Jonsson - NYI
Roman Hammerlik - NYI
Alexei Zhitnik - BUF
Keith Carney -ANA
Ruslan Salei - ANA
Luke Richardson - COB

That's the short list. Does not include the surprises ie Chris Pronger and who knows. Of course alot can change in the standings fast.

What do you want to bet that Dimitri Kasparitis can be had for next to nothing given his contract size and duration ? Same goes for Greg De Vreis. If Leetch was looking for one more Cup shot before he retires, I would think that the Rangers would try and accomodate him. If so, he could be had a helluva alot more cheaply than Gonchar and has alot more heart if you ask me.

As much as I like Gonchar for his offensive abilities, IMHO, he would cost way too much without adding the same omphhh to the team. We still need a steady, big, physical defenceman to clear the crease. He doesn't need to score, just clear the crease and be mistake free behind his own blue line. Toronto already has more than adequate offense from the defence. Gonchar will not add appreciably to that plus he's soft. If the price is right go for it, but if it costs too much youth, forget it.

Just my 2 cents .... patient now, good pickings later.

Old
02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever
Lots of time to the deadline. By the time it rolls around, alot more teams are going to realize their playoff hopes are effectively dead which means more players to potentially move. Factor in the looming CBA and teams will be looking to move big dollar players.

Sergei Gonchar - WAS
Tom Poti-NYR :mad:
Brian Leetch - NYR
Greg De Vries - NYR
Darius Kasparitis - NYR
Steve Staios - EDM
Jason Smith - EDM
Cale Hulse - PHO :mad:
Sean Hill - CAR :mad:
Brett Hedican - CAR :mad:
Glen Wesley - CAR :mad:
Adrian Aucoin - NYI :mad:
Kenny Jonsson - NYI :mad:
Roman Hammerlik - NYI :mad:
Alexei Zhitnik - BUF
Keith Carney -ANA
Ruslan Salei - ANA
Luke Richardson - COB :mad:
All who have been given my personal stamp of disproval either aren't available or better be stayin OUT of the GTA.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever

Sergei Gonchar - WAS
Tom Poti - NYR
Brian Leetch - NYR
Greg De Vries - NYR
Darius Kasparitis - NYR
Steve Staios - EDM
Jason Smith - EDM
Cale Hulse - PHO
Sean Hill - CAR
Brett Hedican - CAR
Glen Wesley - CAR
Adrian Aucoin - NYI
Kenny Jonsson - NYI
Roman Hammerlik - NYI
Alexei Zhitnik - BUF
Keith Carney -ANA
Ruslan Salei - ANA
Luke Richardson - COB

That's the short list. Does not include the surprises ie Chris Pronger and who knows. Of course alot can change in the standings fast.

What do you want to bet that Dimitri Kasparitis can be had for next to nothing given his contract size and duration ? Same goes for Greg De Vreis. If Leetch was looking for one more Cup shot before he retires, I would think that the Rangers would try and accomodate him. If so, he could be had a helluva alot more cheaply than Gonchar and has alot more heart if you ask me.

As much as I like Gonchar for his offensive abilities, IMHO, he would cost way too much without adding the same omphhh to the team. We still need a steady, big, physical defenceman to clear the crease. He doesn't need to score, just clear the crease and be mistake free behind his own blue line. Toronto already has more than adequate offense from the defence. Gonchar will not add appreciably to that plus he's soft. If the price is right go for it, but if it costs too much youth, forget it.

Just my 2 cents .... patient now, good pickings later.
How are the Islanders and Buffalo's playoff hopes dead?

Old
02-22-2004, 02:04 PM
leafaholix*

My wishlist...

1. Keith Carney
2. Greg De Vries
3. Alexei Zhitnik
4. Sergei Gonchar
5. Brian Leetch

Old
02-22-2004, 02:11 PM
TheBudsForever

NYI and BUF still alive. Alot can change in the next 2 weeks for them, or throughout the NHL. The list will change, as teams fall into or out of contention.

The NYR are a team that are definetely out of it IMHO. If I was JFJ, I'd be on the horn to them for sure. Better to overpay in dollars than in young talent if you're the Leafs. De Vreis / Kasparitis / Leetch would all look good in Leaf Jerseys and could be had fairly cheaply re young talent.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
McFly

Maybe I'm mistaken but de Vries has a big contract and we know the Leafs don't want to take on any big contracts. Also, I can't see the Rangers parting with their only good defenseman (defensively).

I wouldn't expect the Isles to move any of their big defensemen either. With their shabby goaltending they need all the help on the blueline that they can afford.

Zhitnik would be a decent player to persue but with the Sabres in a tight playoff race I wouldn't bet on him going anywhere.

Carney and Gonchar are the only sensible and available guys out there. And I cringe when I call Gonchar sensible. I think if Ferguson knows what's good for him, he'll go hard after Carney with everything he can spare, with the exception of Colaiacovo.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:34 PM
loveshack2

Carney or Gonchar would be my choices but I wouldnt be dissatisfied at all to see Glen Wesley back either.

Old
02-22-2004, 03:07 PM
wasting time

I made a similar list a month or so back based on teams not looking like they would make the playoffs. Here is my response and the kind of trade I would be willing to make:

Sergei Gonchar - (kaberle upgrade) Kaberle and a 1st. Toss in Witt and I would make it Kaberle and Colaiacovo.
Tom Poti - absolute crap. total piece of crap, excuse for a hockey player.
Brian Leetch - Bell and a 3rd.
Greg De Vries - THIS IS THE GUY WE NEED! His contract is insane though. Hedin a 3rd and a 1st.
Darius Kasparitis - VERY GOOD PICK UP! Insane contract though. Hedin and a 1st.
Steve Staios - NICE PICK UP! Hedin and a 1st.
Jason Smith - NICE PICK UP! 1st.
Cale Hulse - DECENT ADDITION. Pierre Hedin.
Sean Hill - Not available
Brett Hedican - CRAP. 6th pick.
Glen Wesley - Not Available.
Adrian Aucoin - Yah right.
Kenny Jonsson - Yah right.
Roman Hammerlik - Yah right.
Alexei Zhitnik - Yah right.
Keith Carney - Pilar, Hedin and a 1st.
Ruslan Salei - Pilar, Hedin and a 1st.
Luke Richardson - 4th pick.

You forgot,
Ossi Vanaanen - Pilar, Hedin and a 1st.