HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit vs. San Jose

View Poll Results: Detroit vs. San Jose: Who do you want to win
Detroit: I'm sick of the Central division bashing. 15 23.81%
Detroit: After round I, I dislike San Jose 9 14.29%
San Jose: I could never pull for Detroit. 15 23.81%
San Jose: I want the team that beat us to go all the way. 16 25.40%
Don't really care, Preds season is over. 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Feel the hate!

Old
04-25-2007, 09:55 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4066
I thought nothing would ever rival my anger towards the Wings, but the Sharks have pushed me to delightfully new limits.

I hope Sj goes down in 4 straight.

Old
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Cruiser008

Glad to hear the Preds fans picking the lesser of two evils.

Given that the Central Division is 2-8 in the playoffs since 2003, methinks our division has something to prove.

Old
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Go Wings (Where is the puke icon) Sharks' diving days are over

Old
04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
FissionFire

I have a bad feeling the Sharks will continue to dive and get the benefit of the calls. They averaged 7.5 PPs a game against Detroit this season to only 4.5 for the Wings. It could get REAL ugly.....

Old
04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I thought nothing would ever rival my anger towards the Wings, but the Sharks have pushed me to delightfully new limits.

I hope Sj goes down in 4 straight.
I'm right there with ya

Old
04-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

I'm sorry that Preds fans really hate our team. I honestly don't see where this animosity came from. Do Predators fans believe that they were the better team or that they somehow got screwed or that we cheated to win? I just don't get why the Sharks team are now more hated than the Wings.

Old
04-25-2007, 11:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm sorry that Preds fans really hate our team. I honestly don't see where this animosity came from. Do Predators fans believe that they were the better team or that they somehow got screwed or that we cheated to win? I just don't get why the Sharks team are now more hated than the Wings.
Because Ron Wilson is a d-bag of the highest order? Or phantom injuries caused the reffing to go off-kilter to an absurd degree?

Old
04-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Because Ron Wilson is a d-bag of the highest order? Or phantom injuries caused the reffing to go off-kilter to an absurd degree?
Tell me exactly how Bernier and Cheechoo's injuries were phantom injuries? They both missed the remainder of those games they were hurt in and it was obvious at least in Cheechoo's case that he wasn't the same player afterwards.

I can give you the Ron Wilson thing just because that's a matter of opinion but to disrespect the players in such a manner is just wrong especially when it was Nashville's own fault for going after hits that they shouldn't have.

Old
04-26-2007, 12:30 AM
icandobetter

Quote:
Tell me exactly how Bernier and Cheechoo's injuries were phantom injuries? They both missed the remainder of those games they were hurt in and it was obvious at least in Cheechoo's case that he wasn't the same player afterwards.

I can give you the Ron Wilson thing just because that's a matter of opinion but to disrespect the players in such a manner is just wrong especially when it was Nashville's own fault for going after hits that they shouldn't have.
I'm sorry to inform you that you are fighting uphill battle here.

Old
04-26-2007, 01:00 AM
braindead

That means a lot from the guy who posted this about the possibility of rooting for the Preds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandobetter View Post

I rather die than root for unclassy organization

Old
04-26-2007, 01:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Wilson spoke like Bernier was facing some sort of career-ending injury, moaned that 1 game would never be enough for Radulov...and guess which one of them missed game 3. Meanwhile, there've been far worse hits in the playoffs(the hit on Eaves, the hit on Scuderi, to mention 2) that didn't bring about a suspension. In the case of the hit on Scuderi...all it brought was a 2 minute minor. Why? There were no "we can't be expected to play when they're out there headhunting, the refs are doing nothing, blah blah" from any of the coaches involved. Wilson, I'll give him credit, turned the series with his whining. Even though Nashville was able to hold down SJ on the PP, no team can be expected to survive that sort of uphill grind for an entire series. It's easy to say, "well, they should have been more disciplined," but the fact of the matter was that in EACH game after the Radulov suspension, there were numerous ticky-tack calls against the Predators...outside observers even noticed that, so calling that a homer comment won't fly, either. Were all of the penalties unfair...no...some were legit penalties...that in MOST situations are let go. But not when you're under the microscope...which brings me back to Wilson's media tactics. He knew what he was doing, and it worked like a charm. If the calls were made consistently...against both teams...that'd be one thing, but the Predators were being held to one standard and the Sharks another.

So...forgive the "uphill" battle when understanding why Preds fans are opting to cheer for their most hated rival over the Sharks.

Old
04-26-2007, 02:15 AM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytriduoy View Post
Bernie should win an Academy award for the way he bounced his head up against the glass.
Not to stir any trouble or anything, but are you seriously saying that Bernier intentionally rammed his head into the boards to make the play look worse? How can he do that when he doesn't see Radulov coming at all, and what do you expect to happen when he gets hit high near the head and is slammed into the boards?

Correct me Preds fans if I'm wrong, but I thought that most agreed with the 1 game suspension? Is this person just the minority?

Old
04-26-2007, 02:27 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo train View Post
Not to stir any trouble or anything, but are you seriously saying that Bernier intentionally rammed his head into the boards to make the play look worse? How can he do that when he doesn't see Radulov coming at all, and what do you expect to happen when he gets hit high near the head and is slammed into the boards?

Correct me Preds fans if I'm wrong, but I thought that most agreed with the 1 game suspension? Is this person just the minority?
I don't think Bernier "sold" the injury, but I do think the extent of how bad it was was misreported.

Old
04-26-2007, 02:28 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I don't think Bernier "sold" the injury, but I do think the extent of how bad it was was misreported.
and...I'll add...I wouldn't even have a problem with the suspension if the league was consistent about it. As mentioned, I saw a few hits which were far worse\riskier..with no reprisal from the league.

Old
04-26-2007, 02:32 AM
off_the_shneid

Quote:
He knew what he was doing, and it worked like a charm.
Kudos to Wilson then for working with what he was given and using the media to get the NHL's sympathy. Remember, though, that Wilson did not start the problem. He was protecting his players and if he got some calls to go his way later in the series than so be it. Is a coach not entitled to point out his point of view of the game. I believe it is his job, seeing as he got fined for not answering any questions after Game 2. I don't think he was complaining, but more of letting everybody know what was going down. In the first two games, one of his players was helped of the ice due to a questionable hit. Put yourself in his shoes. Do you say nothing and allow the possiblity of more players to be helped of the ice? I think not, but that's just me. RW can be a crafty SOB at times. Before the playoffs, he had the legality of Teemu Selanne's stick checked when SJ was about to go down a man for a 4-on-3. No surprise that Teemu's stick was illegal, but bottom line is that RW saved that game by calling him out. He gave the Sharks a better chance at winning. Did he mean to get the NHL's attention by sayig that the Preds are dirty? You seem to have that answer already. I do know that it worked. This is the playoffs, after all.

Old
04-26-2007, 02:55 AM
bj_pink3

As a Wing fan I have no bad feelings towards the Preds.. I infact looked forward to the match-ups this season. I am a huge fan of all the strides Nashville has made over the last few season.. I only see them getting better.. Of course the best two teams in a divison are going to be a little bitter towards eachother.. But I think in general.. the Wings-Preds games have been good, solid, clean hockey.. There of course were a few things in question. But when it comes down to brass tacks.. The players from both teams have alot of respect for eachother. If Detroit had lost I would have been pulling for Nashville. I don't expect the same in return... we are divison rivals.. But with that said. Thanks for the support from some Nashville fans.. and good luck in the future.

Old
04-26-2007, 04:08 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
and...I'll add...I wouldn't even have a problem with the suspension if the league was consistent about it. As mentioned, I saw a few hits which were far worse\riskier..with no reprisal from the league.
When the NHL didn't suspend Langkow for the sucker-punch on Lebda, it pretty much made all the Preds suspensions look like complete overreactions. Doesn't get much more blatantly obvious than what happened there.....

Ron Wilson is a whiner and always will be. He was a whiner when the Wings beat his Ducks team. He was a whiner when the Wings beat his Capitols team. He'll be a whiner when the Wings (hopefully) beat his Sharks team as well.

Since Vancouver looks like it may roll over for the Ducks, the Wings just HAVE to win. I don't think I could stand a WCF between Whiner Wilson and Blowhard Burke. If not Detroit, then PLEASE be Vancouver playing for the Cup.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post
Kudos to Wilson then for working with what he was given and using the media to get the NHL's sympathy. Remember, though, that Wilson did not start the problem. He was protecting his players and if he got some calls to go his way later in the series than so be it. Is a coach not entitled to point out his point of view of the game. I believe it is his job, seeing as he got fined for not answering any questions after Game 2. I don't think he was complaining, but more of letting everybody know what was going down. In the first two games, one of his players was helped of the ice due to a questionable hit. Put yourself in his shoes. Do you say nothing and allow the possiblity of more players to be helped of the ice? I think not, but that's just me. RW can be a crafty SOB at times. Before the playoffs, he had the legality of Teemu Selanne's stick checked when SJ was about to go down a man for a 4-on-3. No surprise that Teemu's stick was illegal, but bottom line is that RW saved that game by calling him out. He gave the Sharks a better chance at winning. Did he mean to get the NHL's attention by sayig that the Preds are dirty? You seem to have that answer already. I do know that it worked. This is the playoffs, after all.
Go review some history. He was calling the Wings team that pummeled his precious Caps a team of "dirty thugs" (yes that's a direct quote). The Wings.....uh huh. He twists the facts, misrepresents the truth, and occasionally flat-out makes stuff up, all in an attempt to convince the world that his team is oppressed and angelic. If the NHL had "diving" for coaches, he'd be the league leader.....

Old
04-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Wilson spoke like Bernier was facing some sort of career-ending injury, moaned that 1 game would never be enough for Radulov...and guess which one of them missed game 3. Meanwhile, there've been far worse hits in the playoffs(the hit on Eaves, the hit on Scuderi, to mention 2) that didn't bring about a suspension. In the case of the hit on Scuderi...all it brought was a 2 minute minor. Why? There were no "we can't be expected to play when they're out there headhunting, the refs are doing nothing, blah blah" from any of the coaches involved. Wilson, I'll give him credit, turned the series with his whining. Even though Nashville was able to hold down SJ on the PP, no team can be expected to survive that sort of uphill grind for an entire series. It's easy to say, "well, they should have been more disciplined," but the fact of the matter was that in EACH game after the Radulov suspension, there were numerous ticky-tack calls against the Predators...outside observers even noticed that, so calling that a homer comment won't fly, either. Were all of the penalties unfair...no...some were legit penalties...that in MOST situations are let go. But not when you're under the microscope...which brings me back to Wilson's media tactics. He knew what he was doing, and it worked like a charm. If the calls were made consistently...against both teams...that'd be one thing, but the Predators were being held to one standard and the Sharks another.

So...forgive the "uphill" battle when understanding why Preds fans are opting to cheer for their most hated rival over the Sharks.
Quote:
Quote:
Your argument is going after the wrong target then. First of all, it was the refs that made the major penalty calls...not Ron Wilson. It's understandable to be mad at Ron Wilson for being a crybaby. In the end, it was the NHL's call to suspend Radulov for the hit. Not Ron Wilson's. To say phantom injuries seems disrespectful to the players themselves and judging by your posts, it seems that that was not the intent. Ron Wilson crying is what it is. Most coaches will go to bat for their player and look for an advantage when it presents itself and it did.

All I'd like to point out is that your dissing an entire organization for decisions that they had no control over. All the Sharks organization did was cry about the hit. It was still the NHL's and refs' call to do what they did. Just didn't seem clear to me who you were mad at but it was just the crying the Sharks did and I can respect being mad at that.

Old
04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Go review some history. He was calling the Wings team that pummeled his precious Caps a team of "dirty thugs" (yes that's a direct quote). The Wings.....uh huh. He twists the facts, misrepresents the truth, and occasionally flat-out makes stuff up, all in an attempt to convince the world that his team is oppressed and angelic. If the NHL had "diving" for coaches, he'd be the league leader.....
Yes, and that didn't stop the Red Wings from crushing the Capitals that year, now did it?

At the same time Wilson was "misrepresenting" the truth to the media, one Mr. Trotz was busy commenting that Radulov's hit wasn't dirty, the rookie was just overly "excited," and whining that Clowe should receive "heavy suspensions" for instigating a fight (usually an additional 2-min. minor penalty). RW was penalized $10,000 for his comments in the press (or lack thereof).

Both coaches whined. But....and here's the part that you Nashville fans don't seem to be getting......if Ron Wilson's comments to the media were the difference between your team winning that series and losing in five games, maybe your team wasn't all that good to begin with.

Refs call some things incorrectly and miss other calls....it happens. Bottom line, you make your own breaks.

If you want to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials in the 2nd period, don't spend the entire 1st period throwing elbows and cross-checks after the whistles. If you want the benefit of the doubt from the league offices, don't send a bunch of guys to the Commish's office for suspension review (Tootoo last month, Hartnell 3 times, Radulov....Sharks: none, until Clowe). And when you KNOW the refs are going to call a tighter game, don't go slashing a guy's stick in half in the offensive zone. Don't put the blade of your stick into a guy's midsection when you KNOW it's going to be called. Don't take a hand off your stick and wrap it around another player. That's the lack of discipline we're talking about.

And in the final game, in the critical moments, with your team's season on the line, two Predators took 7 minutes of unnecessary penalties (resulting in a 5-on-3, a major, and an ejection) for stick-to-groin infractions. Those weren't borderline judgment calls by the ref. They were blatantly stupid penalties which showed a lack of mental toughness, and were far more indicative of the way the Preds played that entire series....not just the 2nd period of Game 5.

And after THAT blatant a foul, the third major penalty in 5 games, did you honestly believe the ref was likely to give a benefit-of-the-doubt call to a Nashville player on any hook or trip? You get the calls by playing a squeaky clean game for the other 58 minutes.

Call RW a whiner all you want to. It wasn't his stick spearing Erhoff's or Bernier's groins. The Sharks (the least penalized team in the league) adapted to the officiating. Good teams do that. Good teams don't put themselves in a position where one call (good or bad) will cost them the game. And while poor officiating might cost you a game, it won't cost you a series....unless you let it.

Old
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Yes, and that didn't stop the Red Wings from crushing the Capitals that year, now did it?

At the same time Wilson was "misrepresenting" the truth to the media, one Mr. Trotz was busy commenting that Radulov's hit wasn't dirty, the rookie was just overly "excited," and whining that Clowe should receive "heavy suspensions" for instigating a fight (usually an additional 2-min. minor penalty). RW was penalized $10,000 for his comments in the press (or lack thereof).

Both coaches whined. But....and here's the part that you Nashville fans don't seem to be getting......if Ron Wilson's comments to the media were the difference between your team winning that series and losing in five games, maybe your team wasn't all that good to begin with.

Refs call some things incorrectly and miss other calls....it happens. Bottom line, you make your own breaks.

If you want to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials in the 2nd period, don't spend the entire 1st period throwing elbows and cross-checks after the whistles. If you want the benefit of the doubt from the league offices, don't send a bunch of guys to the Commish's office for suspension review (Tootoo last month, Hartnell 3 times, Radulov....Sharks: none, until Clowe). And when you KNOW the refs are going to call a tighter game, don't go slashing a guy's stick in half in the offensive zone. Don't put the blade of your stick into a guy's midsection when you KNOW it's going to be called. Don't take a hand off your stick and wrap it around another player. That's the lack of discipline we're talking about.

And in the final game, in the critical moments, with your team's season on the line, two Predators took 7 minutes of unnecessary penalties (resulting in a 5-on-3, a major, and an ejection) for stick-to-groin infractions. Those weren't borderline judgment calls by the ref. They were blatantly stupid penalties which showed a lack of mental toughness, and were far more indicative of the way the Preds played that entire series....not just the 2nd period of Game 5.

And after THAT blatant a foul, the third major penalty in 5 games, did you honestly believe the ref was likely to give a benefit-of-the-doubt call to a Nashville player on any hook or trip? You get the calls by playing a squeaky clean game for the other 58 minutes.

Call RW a whiner all you want to. It wasn't his stick spearing Erhoff's or Bernier's groins. The Sharks (the least penalized team in the league) adapted to the officiating. Good teams do that. Good teams don't put themselves in a position where one call (good or bad) will cost them the game. And while poor officiating might cost you a game, it won't cost you a series....unless you let it.

Is it too late to switch my vote from "Root for the Sharks-- want the team that beat us to win it all" to "Root for the Sharks-- to choke on their own vomit (or, like Spinal Tap, the vomit of someone else not yet identified)"?

I swear after the Oilers series last year that one might think you would understand what it's like to have someone come to your boards after a series loss like that and make posts like yours... but I guess not. Give it a rest already-- this is a poll thread for who the Preds fans are going to root for in the next series and why.

Old
04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm pulling for the Wings mostly because of the idiot San Jose fans I've had to deal with are far worse than the Wings fans.

Old
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashology View Post
Nashville was lucky they got 1 game against SJ. They should've swept them. Nashville isn't even in San Jose or Detroit's league.
Thanks for your valuable, even if non-topic, input

Old
04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
and whining that Clowe should receive "heavy suspensions" for instigating a fight (usually an additional 2-min. minor penalty).
I stopped reading right there. Go lookup what happens if a player gets an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game.

Old
04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
pari_passu

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm pulling for the Wings mostly because of the idiot San Jose fans I've had to deal with are far worse than the Wings fans.
I don't know who you were talking to, but SJ fans are pretty nice. But, you have to admit, that both fanbases were pretty over-zealous during that series. Why wouldn't they be? It's a good series.

Personally, I thought that Ron Wilson AND Barry Trotz did whine. On their defense though, they did what a coach should do and that is, if a hit is ruled illegal, they should point it out. Radulov's hit was indeed illegal as ruled the league.

The one thing that was rather disappointing for me was, when seeing game 5, I saw that Nashville fans began throwing garbage at the ice. I don't know if it's just me or what.

Closed Thread